Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Media Seems More Content to Bash Upstanding Citizens
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

The Media Seems More Content to Bash Upstanding Citizens

Jun 2, 2020, 1:27 PM

Than tell the whole truth. George Floyd in no way deserved to die last week, he did deserve to be incarcerated again though. If we are talking facts, he was a career criminal and had a long history of felony and other charges that put him in jail. To hold this guy up like some saint and bash men like Dabo really is disturbing. Floyd's rap sheet from an article in the Daily Mail (UK) is as follows:

-The 46-year-old had left behind his past in Houston after being released from prison stemming from a 2007 robber. He plead guilty to entering a woman’s home, pointing a gun at her stomach and searching the home for drugs and money, according to court records
-Floyd was sentenced to 10 months in jail for having less than one gram of cocaine in a December 2005 arrest
-He had previously been sentenced to eight months for the same offense, stemming from an October 2002 arrest
-Floyd was arrested in 2002 for criminal trespassing and served 30 days in jail
He had another stint for a theft in August 1998

Do we have policing and race bias in the US, yes in some places and some people. If we are going to have real heart to heart conversations and not just list names of people killed by law enforcement, we also need to understand that some of the people killed had past records of violence to others and have to be engaged with a modicum of care. Now a knee to the neck is way too much and the officers involved need to face justice. But the violent protests and wholesale looting are disproportionate in my opinion. Peacefully protest and speak the truth.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Media Seems More Content to Bash Upstanding Citizens

Jun 2, 2020, 1:34 PM

Yes. The world is going to He?? in a hand basket. And it want to take us with it.
Romans 12: 2. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great post Finley

Jun 3, 2020, 5:09 PM

I could benefit from more people like you in my life

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The "orchestrators" never have marches over innocent victims

Jun 2, 2020, 1:36 PM

They only have marches over criminals.

Because they want to divide the country, not unite it.

https://www.filmpreservation.org/preserved-films/screening-room/anarchy-u-s-a-1966

Jun 2, 2020, 1:50 PM

To tell the truth it seems to me that your post demonizing George Floyd is an attempt at avoiding discussing 250 years of systemic racism in America that got GF and hundreds of other innocent black people killed and then make calling out our leaders to do something about it not okay. Does this seem to be a truthful statement?

Unlike Your Speculation Those Are Cold Hard Facts

Jun 2, 2020, 2:16 PM

Here are my opinions:

1) George Floyd was probably a very bad human, I'm sure the woman who he threatened to shoot would confirm that for you. He likely was a demon himself, I don't need to work that topic.

2) The 4 Minneapolis Officers I believe should be punished to the fullest extent of the law

3) The Looters and Media are self-serving pieces of human garbage and bring no value to this world.

It's utterly sad how those unable to frame cogent arguments immediately rush to play the magical race card.

And you can't lump 100s of innocents into a pile without throwing in some number of violent criminals who were killed in the commission of crime with them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unlike Your Speculation Those Are Cold Hard Facts

Jun 2, 2020, 3:08 PM

Well then, I guess you don't see 250 years of systemic racism in America as a contributing factor in GFs death or an issue in our society worth pushing our leaders to address.

Jun 2, 2020, 3:17 PM

To me that history is a crutch. Everyone with nominal mental faculties knows right from wrong in dealing with people. To blame history for some long dead folks attitudes and actions is weak. Its up to each of us in the here and now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2020, 12:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Unlike Your Speculation Those Are Cold Hard Facts ]

So Blacks are the ONLY race on the planet that is experiencing this injustice? Is that what you're saying? Are you racist? You sound racist.

BTW: That systematic racism of which you speak was exhibited to me in 1975, after all my sacrificing to get my degree from CLEMSON, and being told that the company was not allowed to interview me for a much-needed job because I was "Not Black and Female". I guess that gate swings both ways, and you're too stupid to realize it. Having been in business 40+ years, I saw that gate swing both ways in favor of Blacks more times than I could count. I feel like Whites have experienced "Death by a thousand cuts" by the pathetic Race Card and Affirmative Action. Of course, there is no AA in the NBA or NFL. Otherwise, lots of Black athletes would not be allowed on the team.

Jun 3, 2020, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Unlike Your Speculation Those Are Cold Hard Facts ]

More whites are killed every year by police and have been for many many years, but that is not what the media wants to talk about.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2020, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Unlike Your Speculation Those Are Cold Hard Facts ]

Until we stop living in the past we will never have a future. Black Americans have made great strides since the 1960’s. But it was not due to politicians. Go back and look at all of the civil rights legislation and you will much of it was lip service and doing just enough to keep the black Americans voting primarily the democratic ticket. But what have the Dems really done for Black Americans. And what has Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Malcolm X done for Black Americans except to keep you from succeeding and profiting from your own people. Go back and do in-depth research and you will find out what I am saying is a lot more right than wrong. Accept the fact there are good people and bad peoples of all races. Most white people are not racist as is the same for most black people.

The only way we can successfully move forward is to work together and learn that forgiveness is the most important factor of all. There will always be racism within every race but most people just want to live a happy life and have a united country. Most all people want the same thing safe places to live, and peace among their fellow man.

We have to stop remembering what happened over 100 years ago. And learn to thank God for what we have now and pray for Harmony among all people’s.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No-Only If You Choose to Adhere to That Narrative Blaming

Jun 3, 2020, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Unlike Your Speculation Those Are Cold Hard Facts ]

the US as the architects and sole proprietors of Slavery. This act was committed by a sick man and his cowardly cohorts, they don't represent all of our values just the very poor decisions of an evil man.

Slavery is not an American invention, it has been around and propagated by far more effective societies than the US who embraced it for only about 200ish years. The great cities of Africa, Asia Europe and the entire Middle East subsisted on wholesale slavery for 1,000s of years and it took their cultures far more than 250 years to move away from it to enlightenment.

America did not just one day decide to oppress people of color for sport, the thriving slave societies of Africa, the great city of Timbuktu were also quite culpable in creating markets for their captured enemies, people of their own color. The fact America got away from slavery after such a relatively short period of time is amazing seeing as the rest of the world took millennia to do it.

I wholly agree it was a horrible institution and the elimination of it in the 1860s was a big step for a fledgling nation and the ripping of the scab almost broke the greatest nation the world has known. We as that shining star should have high standards and continue actions to erase this stain on our collective morality; however we must NEVER lose personal accountability in the process and permit the sins of a few create conditions criminal elements of the population to loot, riot, kill and destroy.

The officers should be prosecuted fully. Looters should be prosecuted fully. Peaceful protesters should be supported and heard. Each one of us should strive to love our brothers, but we must always remember sins of the past or of now do not ever free us from the responsibilities we have as citizens to behave in an orderly manner and make blanket assertions that all of our society condones and subscribes to anachronistic and evil institutions of the past. I reject that construct 100%

Jun 2, 2020, 1:52 PM

The point you didn't make is that somehow his criminal record makes his death more palatable. It makes no difference if that man was a sinner or a saint. He was murdered on the pavement right before our very eyes. The default position of conservatives is to disbelieve or diminish the victims. That is a sad commentary on our culture but is absolutely par for the course for conservatives.

His record didn't matter. Sen. Tim Scott of SC said on Fox News Sunday that even as an elected official in SC he was pulled over 7 times in one year. His crime? "I was a black man driving a car."

So no, don't try to say that because he had a criminal past, his murder at the hands of the police somehow diminishes that horrible crime. Jesus didn't come to the righteous, he came to the criminals, the prostitutes and the tax collectors. Shame on you.

The 6th leading cause of death for black men is the police.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Guy Was a POS Repeat Offender PERIOD

Jun 2, 2020, 2:21 PM

If that woman he threatened to kill was your wife or daughter you would get off your little throne #### quick and call for his death instead of a few years in jail. We cannot selectively choose who gets to play victim. Did he deserve to die, NO not at all, he deserved to be tried again for another alleged crime.

Do the police need to be charged as criminal YES. Should looters be charged and jailed YES. If you think for a minute the death of a repeat offender gives other criminals a hall pass to hurt other innocents then we are in a real world of hurt.

Why does it matter that he was a repeat offender?!?

Jun 2, 2020, 3:34 PM

He was KILLED by police officers who acted way out of proportion to what the situation required.

I get it, police put their lives on the line each day. It's a tough job filled with a lot of stress. But there is simply no excuse for him to have been killed, especially while he begged for his life while others just stood and watched.

Whether this officer did this because of race, we don't know. I don't know that officer's heart. But it's very bad optics, especially since we have sadly seen a lot of these stories where a white police officer was overly aggressive/lethal in dealing with a black person (criminal or not). It has to be addressed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jun 2, 2020, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: The Media Seems More Content to Bash Upstanding Citizens ]

I think he is more pointing out that lets not forget George Floyd had committed a crime and has a criminal record of drugs, guns and theft going back 20 years. Im sure that he grew up in that to an extent but you cant excuse his actions bc of that (thats whole other conversation). It was wrong how the police handled it and his crimes dont make the death acceptable. But, this was not a model citizen that was singled out and murdered bc he was black...somehow people believe that.

I didn't know that about Tim Scott, but my gosh....7 times in a year. He can claim its black but I cannot buy that he was pulled over 7 times solely bc he is black....I'd love to challenge him on that..maybe he'd prove me wrong. He had to of been doing something the majority of the pullovers to cause the stops....speeding, stop signs, something.

This is a major issue that won't go away but people need to bring solutions to the table and be willing to look in the mirror. There are differences between all races and certainly so when you get to deep rooted avg black culture vs. deep rooted avg white culture. Its not a bad thing but both sides should be more jovial towards each bc it goes both ways.

its #### near impossible for people to change their predetermined thoughts and prejudices. I dont know how the police fix that except turn a blind eye or put in a rule to shoot to injure and not kill...which goes against all training...and for good reason.

Jun 2, 2020, 5:27 PM

I understand your point, but the question is, with the EXACT SAME criminal background, would a white offender have been treated the same way? I don't know how you can answer so surely so.

The Minneapolis police have used the neck brace hold many

Jun 3, 2020, 3:42 PM

times in the past ... on white and black alleged offenders.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good point and no way to ever really know...

Jun 3, 2020, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Re: The Media Seems More Content to Bash Upstanding Citizens ]

unless they have actual data from this officer.

THIS.

Jun 2, 2020, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Re: The Media Seems More Content to Bash Upstanding Citizens ]

Thank you for posting it. I agree with you 100%.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

They can both be wrong. It was wrong to kill him and it’s wrong to

Jun 2, 2020, 2:02 PM

Criticize Dabo. I love Dabo and think he’s a wonderful man and he’s earned everything he has. But if you asked me to choose between the fate of dying at the hands of a power hungry cop (and I’m talking about that particular one—in no way am I implying that’s the norm) or getting criticized by the media while sitting safely at home making over $6M and being at the top of the College Football World, I’d choose Dabo’s plight.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well...h ell...why is it remotely necessary to even hint at

Jun 2, 2020, 2:57 PM

A person's past when he/she was subjected to treatment that in no way, shape, or form can be justified? Why do that? It's totally irrelevant.

There's so much happening that's difficult to grasp. Reason and excuse have become intertwined to the point of absurdity...perhaps to hide true motives/feelings? I don't know...perhaps never will.

What I know is one man killed another in full view of a camera and witnesses...and had colleagues so intimidated by him, they failed to respect the sanctity of life of another...regardless that person's past. None of them were there to judge that man's past...they were there to do a job and failed miserably. Worst, they placed their 'peers' nationwide in peril and acute and misguided (often enough) judgement.

My hope is rational thought will re-enter everyone's lives much, much sooner than later. Stop looking for reasons to run away or look the other way; rather, try to summon faith in another to move a step closer to closing whatever wound exists. How hopeful am I? Based on what's 'written' on these boards...and the absolute chasm the supposed Clemson Nation has running through it...not much.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is definitely an amphitheatre post***

Jun 2, 2020, 3:13 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure why his prior criminal record is relevant

Jun 2, 2020, 3:29 PM

to the current dialogue about police brutality and racism in the criminal justice system.

Criminal or not, he shouldn't have been killed by those officers. I think that's the point here.

With that said, I absolutely agree that serious and thoughtful discussions need to be had regarding how people of different races and backgrounds can better understand one another.

I also agree that the looting and violence are inappropriate and uncalled for. That's not the way to promote real, lasting change when it comes to race relations.

The person(s) who gave me a thumbs down should

Jun 3, 2020, 11:53 AM

state what their problem is with my post. I normally don't care about people downvoting my posts, but if you have a problem with what I just posted then please share why. This is a very important topic.

Wasn't Me Here is a TU to Help Ya Out

Jun 3, 2020, 2:24 PM

Open discord of varied opinions is important

I knew it wasn't you.

Jun 3, 2020, 2:45 PM

You are a stand-up guy and I always enjoy hearing what you have to say.

Have you stated what your problems were with the 288 poasts

Jun 3, 2020, 3:00 PM

that you down-voted?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Jun 2, 2020, 5:24 PM

This is the typical victim shaming that always goes on with matters like this. Any crime in Floyd's past nor any crime he was allegedly committing that day deserved the end result of him being murdered. You are quick to point out his past but fail to mention the 18 incidents in the police officer's past. Why was he still employed? Why are you not outraged by this?

Learn to read. I immediately called for

Jun 3, 2020, 9:49 AM

Prosecution of the officers.

Re: Learn to read. I immediately called for

Jun 3, 2020, 2:08 PM

Yeah, but you felt the need to hedge it by smearing the victim. His past had no bearing on the officers' actions. Its absolutely ridiculous that he was treated with such aggression and force considering what they were even called for.

Learn to read. I immediately called for

Jun 3, 2020, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Re: The Media Seems More Content to Bash Upstanding Citizens ]

had to go to a foreign news source to find that. Of course

Jun 3, 2020, 12:14 AM

our would never share that.

Jun 3, 2020, 3:22 AM

I think the point that many are missing point that these police killings in the street have a very eerie similarity to a public lynching. We have to understand that people are tired of seeing the exact same events play out again and again. Many have protested peacefully and where told that it was the wrong place or time for their protest. We can not continue to turn blind eye to Injustice. We need to stop electing officials who continue push and justify policies that protect predatory policing of Minority communities.

The fact that I have to teach my sons how to navigate the people, who are sworn to serve and protect is the problem.
One more perspective. We are criminalizing the victim of a crime for his past sins which he has served his time. Yet the same people on this board would like to forgive and forget what Coach Pearman did saying the team has handled it. (among other excuses)

Jun 3, 2020, 2:14 PM

biglds said:

I think the point that many are missing point that these police killings in the street have a very eerie similarity to a public lynching. We have to understand that people are tired of seeing the exact same events play out again and again. Many have protested peacefully and where told that it was the wrong place or time for their protest. We can not continue to turn blind eye to Injustice. We need to stop electing officials who continue push and justify policies that protect predatory policing of Minority communities.

The fact that I have to teach my sons how to navigate the people, who are sworn to serve and protect is the problem.
One more perspective. We are criminalizing the victim of a crime for his past sins which he has served his time. Yet the same people on this board would like to forgive and forget what Coach Pearman did saying the team has handled it. (among other excuses)

That part. This board would be up in arms if Pearman was retroactively fired for his incredible lack of judgment from in the past. Yet, Mr. Floyd's past is needed "to offer perspective" on why we should just understand him being killed. Give me a freaking break. This is a powerful reality check about biases that will go largely ignored because it doesn't fit your agenda.

No No No ...... This Sensationalism Must Stop

Jun 3, 2020, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Re: The Media Seems More Content to Bash Upstanding Citizens ]

Facts are needed. Murdered yes, lynch is such a trigger word, stop it.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic