Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Re: The Marino story below
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 373

Jan 31, 2013, 1:12 PM

the older I've gotten the less I care about the details of other people's personal lives. Let them be. I'm sure he and his wife have had some difficult times, why rehash it ?

/serious

/csb

Need pics of this alleged woman, esp if she is PAWGalicious

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've never had the Puritan impulse to interfere with what

Jan 31, 2013, 1:14 PM

other people do with their own lives. I've never understood why Yankees/Southern Baptists are all over everybody all the time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

d00d, even the Amish have wild Hut Parties !

Jan 31, 2013, 1:17 PM

that's some sweet action, right there

The Amish are pretty good about stuff like this.

Jan 31, 2013, 1:19 PM

They don't butt into your business or try to write laws to force you to act like them.

BTW, cool show

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

is that why you're commenting on "puritan" tendencies?

Jan 31, 2013, 1:46 PM [ in reply to I've never had the Puritan impulse to interfere with what ]

"Not interfering with what other people do in their own lives" is a social ethic just as much as the "puritan" ethic is, even if it's an anti-social one. And, let's be honest, we all interfere in other people's lives in as much as we care about the community we have with them, whether that community is a romantic relationship, a family, a neighborhood, or some other locality. "Interference with what other people do with their own lives" is really just having relationships with other people. That doesn't mean we force other people to do what we want, but if we care about them, if we understand ourselves as primarily relational and not as unattached atoms, then we accept the influence of others just as we seek to influence them. Yes, the Puritans were critical of liberal detachment between selves, but simply taking an interest in the lives of others is not the same thing as the full Puritan program of theocratic government, where the social and political is identified with the religious. That is actually a Christian heresy, and an instance of what Voegelin would've called "immanentizing the eschaton."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not interfering with people is not anti-social. I have many

Jan 31, 2013, 2:29 PM

friends and get along with them very well. I don't poke my nose in their business where not invited and I don't force them to do anything or even pressure them to do anything. Puritan Yankees and Southern Baptists, on the other hand, start wars and make laws over what other people do with their own lives.

now you just sound silly

Jan 31, 2013, 4:20 PM

Every law is a law "over what other people do with their own lives." It sounds like you're using "not poking around in other people's lives" as an excuse for not thinking about what the good of the law (or, in your case, the good of having very few laws) is. As Matthew Arnold wrote, even liberty has a good at which it aims; liberty is not a good in itself. Like fire, the good of liberty depends on the uses to which it is put. So politics is inherently about "poking around in other people's lives" so as to determine a good at which we can aim together.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right. I'm the silly one. Your definition of law is wrong.***

Jan 31, 2013, 4:28 PM

Jan 31, 2013, 1:16 PM
clwn.png(807.7 K)

Pic

Jan 31, 2013, 1:17 PM

She's

Jan 31, 2013, 1:18 PM

a 6. Ol danny should done better.

iWood