Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Greatest Generation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

The Greatest Generation

Jan 18, 2021, 8:12 PM

Today is the birthday of my oldest brother. He has been gone for ten years. He finished Clemson in 1942, got his commission, and left a few months later for the South Pacific. He was wounded on Saipan and again on Okinawa. Except for short stays on Hospital Ships and a three week R&R stay in Honolulu he never left his unit for over three years. He carried shrapnel in his arm and body along the scars of war for the rest of his life.. He got his Doctrate at Iowa State after the war and was hired by the University of Florida where he taught and did research for 38 years. He taught all five of his younger siblings to study hard, to work hard, and how to do the right thing. He was an inspiration to me as the youngest of his siblings. He was a stalwart member of the greatest generation. I miss him.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Greatest Generation

Jan 18, 2021, 8:27 PM

Truly a member of the greatest generation. I read this and thought about millennials. Our country is in a world of hurt right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2021, 8:31 PM

AMEN!can still say that here,but not in congress.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 18, 2021, 8:31 PM [ in reply to Re: The Greatest Generation ]

AMEN!can still say that here,but not in congress.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 18, 2021, 8:46 PM [ in reply to Re: The Greatest Generation ]

You say that but it wasn't the millennials that were doing everything they could to kill off the Greatest Generation with COVID.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2021, 9:19 PM [ in reply to Re: The Greatest Generation ]

One generation is not all that different than another...just the hardships/challenges they face. The Greatest Generation deserves our respect for sure, but I’m not going to disparage today’s youth because they haven’t had some defining crisis to overcome. Most that I know are hard working, generous, and involved.

Jan 18, 2021, 9:45 PM

If you haven't noticed we're in the middle of a defining crisis.

Haha...no doubt

Jan 18, 2021, 10:09 PM

But I don’t put this one at the feet of the millennials. Where we are as a country
Has everything to do with their parents and grandparents. With that said, it will be the millennials problem to fix...

Jan 19, 2021, 11:47 PM [ in reply to Re: The Greatest Generation ]

Make no mistake, they are the Greatest Generation. That being said, plenty of Millennials have served as well, being between the ages of 25 and 40.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jan 18, 2021, 8:29 PM

sorry for your loss,and oh,do we ever need more like him now.unfortunately,"joltin' joe has left and gone away".

null

Jan 18, 2021, 8:56 PM

There are many great Americans like your brother who made this great country what it is today. I have confidence that the country will rebound from some mistakes that have been made in selecting our leaders and we will retain our position as the greatest country on earth. The USA has to many brilliant people with the skills needed to govern our nation. The challenge is to find them and encourage them to forget politics and focus on making America great again.
Will the present system allow that! No It Will Not

Thank you for sharing.

Jan 18, 2021, 8:59 PM

I mean it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Thank you for sharing.

Jan 18, 2021, 9:06 PM

Thank you FM. I expect a barrage of hate post but you know and I know that we need to make some big time changes to our system. It ain’t 1776 anymore.

Jan 18, 2021, 9:08 PM

Post of the day, thanks for sharing.

Jan 18, 2021, 9:15 PM

Thanks for sharing. I grew up pouring through books about great Americans like your brother. I knew as soon as I graduated HS that I wanted to follow in those giant footsteps. Semper Fi and god bless you and your brother.

Message was edited by: TigerJS®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2021, 9:28 PM

Your brother sounds a lot like my Grandfather, who was also a Clemson man during that time. He enlisted in the Navy during WWII and he earned many metals for his actions. I’d give anything to spend another day, hour or minute with him to hear his tales during the war. I didn’t appreciate them as much as a child but I truly treasure them now as an adult. There will never be another generation such as that one. Greatest generation indeed!

Jan 18, 2021, 10:14 PM

Sounds like my friend’s dad. 5 Purple Hearts, 2 Bronze Stars. He’s at Arlington now. He didn’t talk much about it, but his best story started out with, “did I ever tell you the story about the first time I made Sargent”?

Jan 18, 2021, 10:29 PM

Thank you for this post. It is yours and others who post about the Greatest Generation that continue to give us hope that our children may live up to your sense of honor, family and Country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

God Bless Them All

Jan 19, 2021, 5:28 AM

I sometimes fear that it was our generation as the Boomers that drove this country to where it is. We followed absolutely the greatest generation many of whom gave all. Somewhere in the worthy cause of seeking freedom we lost track of responsibility, and subsequent generations seem to have piled on. How did we lose sight of right with such dedicated models to follow.

I desperately miss my parents, aunts and uncles (five o whom served in WWII).

Thanks for sharing this. Your brother sounds like he

Jan 19, 2021, 9:38 AM

truly exemplified accountability. Something that is sorely lacking in this country today.

We need more men who were like him in a bad way.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2021, 11:08 AM

You should be very proud of him. I like many are thankful for his service and dedication to his country. Thank you for sharing this story.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2021, 4:37 PM

I know you miss your brother and he was indeed a part of the greatest generation. Where are those young men and women now .......... not to be seen I'm afraid!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic