Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well boys..I'm over at the assisted living place visiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Well boys..I'm over at the assisted living place visiting

Aug 17, 2019, 11:49 AM

Grandmother Spud and Spuddette...and I showed Grandmother Spud the video of the little boy talking about the bass that O posted yesterday
...She said..." Ohhhh..that reminds me of when you were a little boy, about 5 years old and we went to J.M.Fields (think Wal Mart circa 1963), and they had a Minah bird in the pet shop..and you were up close and the bird said, ' what is your name?'...and you said , ' Bryan...what is yours?'..". SHE HAS BEEN DYING LAUGHING FOR THE PAST 5 MINUTES...

SPUD

Message was edited by: Spud®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well boys..I'm over at the assisted living place visiting

Aug 17, 2019, 12:04 PM

Great memories! Thanks for sharing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duga..the youngsters don't realize it...but going to

Aug 17, 2019, 12:07 PM

Fields to the pet store and then to Morrison's for dinner was about as big of a day as you had back then...

Re: Duga..the youngsters don't realize it...but going to

Aug 17, 2019, 12:19 PM

It was a dream come true. I can still smell the cashews roasting in some of the dime stores.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2019, 2:38 PM

a much nicer time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Aug 17, 2019, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Duga..the youngsters don't realize it...but going to ]

My grandmother loved Morrison’s cafe. She would always sell it by saying “everybody can get what they want. Everybody has a choice you see...”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I always got the "Trout Almondine" with a slice of "Egg Pie"

Aug 17, 2019, 4:28 PM

for desert....Didn't take much to make you happy back then...

Aug 17, 2019, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Duga..the youngsters don't realize it...but going to ]

My grandmother loved Morrison’s cafe. She would always sell it by saying “everybody can get what they want. Everybody has a choice you see...”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2019, 12:07 PM

I understand. The long term memory is good even when the short term goes.

She just told ne that when she married my dad

Aug 17, 2019, 12:16 PM

( she was 18) that she had a job...making 35 dollars....a week.

Aug 17, 2019, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Well boys..I'm over at the assisted living place visiting ]

Funny how that works. I can remember what I did 20 years ago, but can’t remember stuff that was said 20 minutes ago.

Aug 17, 2019, 1:14 PM

Love Her while You have Her !

That reminds me, didn't Monty Dupuy have a mynah bird

Aug 17, 2019, 1:42 PM

on his morning show at WFBC radio for years that he
would talk to and get to talk occasionally or am I
misremembering things with age?

Re: That reminds me, didn't Monty Dupuy have a mynah bird

Aug 17, 2019, 1:53 PM

When I asked God for a long life, I wish I had asked for more of it in my youth.

Re: That reminds me, didn't Monty Dupuy have a mynah bird

Aug 17, 2019, 2:37 PM

whoever said youth is wasted on the young was a genius!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Yessir. And that is another Spud story. Young Spud. My

Aug 17, 2019, 2:39 PM [ in reply to That reminds me, didn't Monty Dupuy have a mynah bird ]

mother picked me up from school( I was 8 years old) and on the way to the TV Station she informed me that my pet dog, Schatzee ( a dachsund we had been given by two Germans...and who knew back then that Schatzee was German for Spud) had to be put down. She thought telling me on the way to be on the show, The Little Rascals I believe they called it, would help me to get over it quicker. Well sir, during the show they would ask each person their name and ask you a question. Soooo, they come to me and ask me my name and what happened to me today...I said, "Bryan.....and my dog died today". Mr. Doohickey didn't know what to say.....Nearly killed the shows ratings on the spot....

Did you buy the bird?***

Aug 17, 2019, 1:48 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My mother wasn't crazy.***

Aug 17, 2019, 2:31 PM

So, it's good that your mother DIDN'T give you the BIRD?

Aug 17, 2019, 2:38 PM

This poast could be confusing to libtards.

Aug 17, 2019, 2:39 PM

Memories. When I divorced my first wife, I had no TV after she took the only one I had. J M Fields had the perfect TV for me on sale, so I rushed over there with credit card in hand. I got to the checkout counter and they told me the card had expired. I was in such a hurry that I forgot to grab the new card that I had received. The nice lady told me she could only hold it for me for about 30 minutes since they were going like hotcakes. I rushed back home, got my new card, rushed back to the store just as they were about to put it back on the shelf. Got my TV, and been watching CLEMSON ever since. LOL :) But that was a hectic day. Man, that was about 40 years ago, and it seems like yesterday.

I used to bird hunt. Gone daylight to dark on Saturdays and

Aug 17, 2019, 2:53 PM

half days on Wednesday. I can remember some covey rises like they happened yesterday. Your mind cannot differentiate what happened last week from last decade..

Re: I used to bird hunt. Gone daylight to dark on Saturdays and

Aug 17, 2019, 4:31 PM

That was me many years ago, Spud. I saw some beautiful covey rises with some terrific dogs in my time, but eventually I realized the birds were getting too scarcxe and living in the swamps, so I gave it up for offshore fishing. I recently sold my 12ga. 26" O/U skeet/skeet and nearly cried. It was the best covey rise gun I ever saw. Getting old is not fun, but the memories do help.

I know what you mean about the swamps....and greenbrier....I

Aug 17, 2019, 4:42 PM

finally got me a little Remminton 1100 Special Field. It had a 21 inch barrel with an English stock. It was a quick little gun. I busten one one day that flew straight back over me head. Hit him from maybe 6 feet. Looked like I had shot a feather pillow. Kept telling my dog,"Stupid", to hunt dead, hunt dead....Finally I saw the head, connected to the wings in a tree limb. Nothing else left of the bird....

Re: I know what you mean about the swamps....and greenbrier....I

Aug 17, 2019, 6:07 PM

OK, now the stories can start. True story:

I drove from NC where I lived at the time down to Valdosta, GA at the invitation of a customer who trained bird dogs for paying customers.... not just any dogs, but champion prairie chicken dogs. This fellow had never seen me dress in anything other than a suit, so he probably thought I'd never been bird hunting - but I arrived with my trusty 12ga 26" O/U skeet/skeet, field clothes and we loaded the dogs and off we went to 1,200 acres of pine timber with peat bog where he had about 25 coveys on feeders and a wind blowing at least 30 mph. He didn't bring a gun, so I was the only shooter.

He put the dogs out near the first feeder and they immediately went dead on point. I was told that whatever I did, not to shoot the lead bird and if possible, only shoot the last bird up and not to kill more than one per covey. So, I waded into the covey and they got up into that wind like they were painted in a still picture..... barely moving before they veered off on the wind. I found the last bird and took the shot. He asked if I got one and I said "Yes, a hen, but she's not dead - her right wing's broke". He looked at me like he was wondering who on earth could tell what sex the bird was they were shooting, but he didn't realize that 1) I raised quail as a youngster and knew the head markings and 2 the wind was so hard, the birds were dang near sitting ducks on the rise and 3) my grandfather and father were from Waynesboro, GA (bird dog capital of the world) and had been hunting since I was old enough to #### a Daisy Red Ryder.

So, after the bird fell I noticed that the dogs were still on point and hadn't moved...... so I told him to let the dogs find the bird. I was quickly informed that these dogs didn't do that and that I needed to go get the bird and bring it back to the dogs as a reward for holding point. I thought it weird, but did it and brought back a broken winged hen to them and let them sniff it a little before I gave it the old head rap on the gun barrel. I did feel a bit stupid fetching a bird for a dog!

So, second covey was pretty much a repeat of wind and slow motion and I took the last bird again. He looked at me and smirked and said "OK, what'd you get this time?" I just told him it was a rooster and I dutifully went to get the rooster for the dogs who were delighted to see it.

After that and taking the last bird from another 12 coveys or so (all with one shot), the fellow was really agitated to know who this highlander was coming down to bird country and putting on a shooting display - so on the next feeder he told me I could take 2 birds - and I killed the 2nd and last bird.

With that he sorta went nuts talking to himself and asked if he could shoot my gun so I handed it to him. On the next covey, he killed the last bird, turned to me and said: "Well no wonder, you didn't tell me this was a skeet gun". I asked how he knew and he said "'cause I didn't mean to kill that bird - I only wanted to shoot his tail feathers off".

You need to get the book, " The Best of Havilah Babcock"..He

Aug 17, 2019, 9:28 PM

has many stories like that, which only someone who has spent hours in the field can fully appreciate.

Aug 17, 2019, 6:21 PM

What kind of jerk could have TD’d that post? Incredible!!

Aug 17, 2019, 6:21 PM

What kind of jerk could have TD’d that post? Incredible!!

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic