Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For you recruiting gurus.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

For you recruiting gurus.

Aug 23, 2015, 7:39 PM

Tony Butler has Clemson in his final 3 and it's rumored that he is going to pick Clemson. I don't know much about the caliber of player he is. For those of you that do, what can you share about him?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For you recruiting gurus.

Aug 23, 2015, 7:48 PM

I'm hearing Arizona State for Butler, although I'm not certain of that. Basically, he's tall with solid ball skills, but his footwork and long speed need improvement along with some serious technique work. Keep in mind though that Richard Sherman supposedly had similar issues coming out of Stanford.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2015, 8:12 PM

I think he's ASU bound. He's announcing right after his official there. Criticisms are that he lacks elite speed and gets turned around, but he matches the bigger build DB's that coach Reed has had success with.

Aug 23, 2015, 8:19 PM

Seems like every year the WRs are getting taller and taller. Keeping up with the trend the defensive backs seem to be growing as well. You've probably noticed the trend of DBs that we're recruiting nowadays are significantly larger than those in the past. Tony Butler is listed at 6'2 and would appear to fit the mold of CB we're after under coach Reed's direction. Not a bad recruiting strategy if you ask me. Anyhow, here's a bio of Tony

Tony Butler 6-2 195 Lakewood, OH St. Edward HS

3* prospect according to 24/7 who ranks him as the #38 CB. Scout gives him 3* and the #35 prospect in Ohio. As a junior, Butler had 27 tackles, 10 pass break ups, three interceptions and a forced fumble. His top four schools are Clemson, Arizona State, Rutgers, and Michigan. Butler was a former Pittsburgh commit but decommitted on July 3 after not visiting the campus. He decided to decommit before taking many visits to other schools. Film- http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2627982/highlights/214810380/v2

"The coaching staff is pretty cool, Coach Reed was very honest with me and just told me that he feel like I'm the real deal and I can make a impact early. But I'm going to have to want it and want to get better everyday. He didn't promise me anything."

"I'm going to visit Clemson tomorrow," Butler stated Sunday evening. "I've heard it's a great place, and I'm looking forward to checking it out. I'm on vacation in Atlanta, and all my family is raving about the school. My mom and I will be taking the visit," he added. "I'm definitely interested, and a lot of my family is in the South, so it's not too far from home for me at all."

"Clemson started following me on Twitter once I decommitted from Pittsburgh, and they just wanted to know if I would be interested in them," Butler stated when he received the Clemson offer. "When I told them I was interested, they started explaining to me about their program and how great it is."

"Their defensive backs coach (Mike Reed) told me they are taking three cornerbacks this year, and they have two already committed," he added. "He said I am the perfect fit for Clemson, because they want the bigger corners. They don't normally recruit Ohio, but they liked my film a lot and decided to come after me."

The Latest- "I got my top four," said Butler, the 6-2, 195-pound junior. "Rutgers is in the top four. Since I re-opened my recruitment, I had to narrow it down to at least four or five schools that I really like. A lot of schools are still interested in me, but those are the top four that I'm interested in."

Rutgers: Butler has yet to visit Rutgers but did visit New Jersey when his team played Bergen Catholic in 2014. "It was definitely a nice place. I like the set-up of it. It's like 30 minutes away from New York City, so it's definitely a nice little set-up," he said. "It definitely has a lot of talent within it, so just for them to be recruiting me is kind of a blessing because I know New Jersey has a lot of ballers out there."

Michigan: "I grew up a Big Ten fan, so Michigan was definitely just an eye-opener right off the bat. My football coach went there, and I visited twice, already. So it's a great place to be, great academics and great tradition in football."

Arizona State: "Arizona State is basically like a DB's (defensive back's) dream, where you go up to the Pac-12, and they throw the ball more than they run the ball. So you get more opportunities to make big plays, get your hands on the ball and really turn the game around from a defensive perspective."

Clemson: "They are just a great powerhouse ACC school that can definitely make moves. They caught my eye like two years ago when they beat Ohio State. That was really big for me, and now they're in my top four because I know they can win football games."

we're taking 3 Dbs? That's news to me***

Aug 23, 2015, 8:23 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Thanks, good stuff. I also know that Venables prefers

Aug 23, 2015, 8:35 PM [ in reply to Re: For you recruiting gurus. ]

the taller, athletic players in the secondary.

Re: Thanks, good stuff. I also know that Venables prefers

Aug 23, 2015, 10:05 PM

Our top 3 targets:
Trayvon Mullen, 5*, 6'1, 175
Saivion Smith, 5*, 6'1, 195
Marquill Osborne, 4*, 6', 185.

Re: Thanks, good stuff. I also know that Venables prefers

Aug 24, 2015, 12:24 AM

Do we have a legitimate shot at any of these guys? Would take any of the three but didn't think we lead for any at the moment.

So you're saying there's a chance?

Aug 24, 2015, 12:32 AM

Yes, we have a shot. We have to have one CB this cycle though, so I think we take Butler or an under the radar guy. Smith or Mullen would be an oversign.

Aug 23, 2015, 8:53 PM

We can do better, he doesn't have elite speed of hips. I think we are gonna have a special season and will be turning down cbs.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic