Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Teh 6 year unraveling of FSU football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Teh 6 year unraveling of FSU football

Nov 19, 2020, 12:03 PM

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30331494/deep-deep-hole-6-year-unraveling-florida-state-football

Pretty good (but long) read about FSU if you havent seen this already.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Teh 6 year unraveling of FSU football

Nov 19, 2020, 12:30 PM

I compare FSU unravelling after Bobby Bowden to Clemson unravelling after Danny Ford. Both teams had a few good years after the coach left, but it all fell apart shortly thereafter.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Nov 19, 2020, 12:36 PM

The major difference I see is that Clemson's tearing down stemmed from the outside with the sanctions and the added time and that was paired with the internal struggle of everybody wanting to be in charge and get their way for how the program should move forward.

FSU's issues were completely internal and had no outside help unless you count the rise of Clemson as a contributing factor. Also quite the opposite, nobody at FSU wanted to be in charge and wanted to leave all of the tough decisions and jobs to somebody else. Everybody basically just thought that things would continue along without any real action or attention to problems.

Nov 19, 2020, 2:58 PM

I believe ours was completely internal. Ford left after the 1989 season due to internal conflict. The sanctions were over in 1985; they were a distant memory by '89. Heck, some say 1990 would have been a better team than the 1981 team had Ford stayed.

Nov 19, 2020, 3:03 PM

I agree with you on our problems being self inflicted. When Ford was fired, we hired Hatfield who wanted a smaller faster lineup. He recruited for that and we paid the price for decades trying to get back to the level of recruiting under Ford.
I remember Bobby Bowden telling Tommy after the Bowden Bowl 1, "recruiting, recruiting, recruiting."

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Was about to post this...

Nov 19, 2020, 12:32 PM

It is indeed a very interesting read..

Noticed that they did a lot of comparisons of the facilities at Clemson and Florida State.....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Was about to post this...

Nov 19, 2020, 2:47 PM

GSCtiger said:

It is indeed a very interesting read..

Noticed that they did a lot of comparisons of the facilities at Clemson and Florida State.....

There is no comparison. Well other than an indoor football field is pretty much the same everywhere. Other than that? No comparison

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2020, 1:17 PM

What FSU accomplished under Bobby Bowden was really remarkable, and maybe even impossible in today's college football landscape. I lived in Florida for 12 years and my oldest was an FSU student athlete. My observation is that these factors will be very hard to overcome for FSU going forward:

1)The college football "arms race" has completely changed the landscape in terms of what it takes to build a successful run. The Bobby Bowdens (and there is really only one of him!) can't get it done anymore just on the basis of personality. FSU's history as a women's college (my grandmother was a grad) is not so distant. The real "breadwinners" in most families have typically come out of UF, not FSU. The Bowden years spiked interest and support in FSU athletics for sure, but NOTHING like UF. FSU just doesn't have the booster support that UF and typical powerhouse SEC schools have. Not even close.

2) Tallahassee is by no means Columbia, SC, but it isn't a whole lot better. The FSU campus is really beautiful, and it is sort of "enclosed." But the surrounding area is not very nice at all. And there is zero room for development. Any large "football only" facility would have to be pretty far off...kind of like Columbia. It's ridiculous that just a few years ago my daughter and her non-rev sport teammates were using all the exact same training facilities as the football team.

There is an old saying that "winning fixes everything." That is true in many regards when it comes to college sports. But winning at football takes a lot more than scheme and a coach with a great personality anymore. FSU still has brand-power and great recruiting territory. I'm just not sure they have the money and the space needed to ever catch up to the absolute top-tier in college football. And I am amazed and glad that Clemson made the "jump" back into that tier before it was too late. Because I'm afraid COVID is going to set a lot of teams way, way back for a long, long time.

Nov 19, 2020, 1:26 PM

What we have works for now. 10 or 15 from now there will be some new coach somewhere with whatever works during that era. It always goes in cycles

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2020, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Teh 6 year unraveling of FSU football ]

Not true. They could get a facility in there. It would be a tight fit but you could get attached to the existing indoor fields with the weight room in close proximity (similar to ours). I would probably have to be 3 stories and it would eat up a parking lot, but they could squeeze it in next to the highway.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic