Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Takeaways from UVA game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Takeaways from UVA game

Oct 4, 2020, 12:04 PM

UVA is becoming a pretty good program. They were tougher than I expected on the lines of scrimmage.

We have work to do on the interior OL and DL. We couldn’t effectively run the ball inside the tackles. We were able to seal the edge and get ETN loose. His most explosive plays were catching out of the backfield imo. I think some creativity in the run scheme will help. I’d like to see some counters, traps and maybe some zone schemes where ETN can take his time and bend it or cut it back. I didn’t really understand the slow mesh handoffs that looked like a zone read. Maybe we are going to do more out of this later in the season. I was pleased with the passing game. We don’t have weapons on the outside like last year but overall, I’d say we were in sync.

Defensively we were on our heels in the 2nd quarter but the secondary tightened up. Our young DL will have to improve. The edge pass rush was pretty good but we weren’t able to push the pocket from the inside or shed blocks to contain Armstrong when he scrambled. We will need to do a better job of this against Miami or we will have to spy their QB.

We are always clunky at this stage in the season. We will see improvements across the board, especially from our new OL and DL. I’d also like to see tony Elliot improve at managing the flow of the game. At this stage it looks like he’s experimenting with a lot of different looks. I’d like to see some more creativity in the running plays until we are really explosive.

Step back from the ledge people. If I can see these things I have faith our coaching staff is working on it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Takeaways from UVA game

Oct 4, 2020, 12:18 PM

It was a nice win. I was hoping after the open week we would have been a little more polished but w werent. Hopefully this week w will get some things addressed. I think last game put us a week behind because of their option. Now we are back into what we will normally see from teams and we will develop and refine both O and D.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. I was impressed with Armstrong’s toughness

Oct 4, 2020, 12:23 PM

He played a good game and ran for 20+ carries against us. His guards and center did a great job giving him a clean lane up the middle on passing plays.

The mesh thing certainly was weird. At times it seemed like

Oct 4, 2020, 12:27 PM

Trevor was ahead of Travis after the handoff somehow. Have to watch the replay. Too far away to understand yesterday.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

On a related point...

Oct 4, 2020, 2:08 PM

Has anyone noticed we've incorporated a bit of that Wake Forest read play with the QB holding and holding before following the back thru the line. I like it. It freezes defenders and is definitely effective. Wouldn't mind seeing more of it actually, including the passing game out of it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kind of like Tajh used to do when he would sort of "hop"

Oct 4, 2020, 2:12 PM

sideways along with the back coming across before deciding on handing it off or not.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2020, 12:28 PM

That's why I like the ACC generally. We usually have a chance to gel before we have a tough game. Anyway, who is the weak link on the OL?

Oct 4, 2020, 12:32 PM

Thanks for reminding us how far we still need to come to be at your level. We are slowly improving! Good luck the rest of the way.

Oct 4, 2020, 3:37 PM

I didn't mean it that way. That is funny though. Good luck to you as well.

Oct 4, 2020, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Takeaways from UVA game ]

I didn't mean it that way. That is funny though. Good luck to you as well.

I think both guards and the center were inconsistent

Oct 4, 2020, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Takeaways from UVA game ]

They blocked it well a few times but uva did a good job of trying to shut down the run.

I think scheme and play calling can take some pressure off them as well. We are known for our vanilla calls early in the season.

You have to be an absolute stud to move someone out of a gap from a 2 point stance. I’d love to see us mix in some zone blocking and give ETN a chance to pick his gap.

Oct 4, 2020, 12:29 PM

What stood out to me were way too many missed tackles out and space, and Skalski was not fast enough to contain Armstrong when he took off running. Several times he turned the corner and 47 was step behind. We are missing Simmons already, but missed tackles in space kept a lot of drives alive and impacted the score. Other than a couple of busted plays in the secondary, our guys were in position to make plays all night.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2020, 12:31 PM

Yeah we needed a Simmons type of Dorian O'Daniel to nip those plays in the bud. Maybe some more speed on the edges could have done the trick too.

Oct 4, 2020, 12:38 PM

It will be interesting to see how they try to contain DeEric King next week, he's more elusive and they have a lightning fast online.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are used to seeing our DL do a better job of controlling

Oct 4, 2020, 12:45 PM

The pocket. It wouldn’t surprise me to see us run heavy pressure out of the 3-2-6 and occasionally dedicate a spy against king.

Oct 4, 2020, 10:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Takeaways from UVA game ]

It will be interesting to see how they try to contain DeEric King next week, he's more elusive and they have a lightning fast online.

I agree that King is the 'Canes biggest threat. They are much better with him.

As far as our interior O line, they sometimes had a hard time drive blocking. They did hold up pretty well in pass protection. Most of the UVA resh was outside blitzes.

Counter traps? We went to that well way too often.

Miami's defense is good, not great.
I'd like to see ling scoring drives early against Miami early to get their dedebse

Oct 4, 2020, 10:25 PM

Uggh, fat fingers fail.

To finish my thought, long drives early to get the Miami defense tired, then open it up.
The safeties can't keep letting the deep middle get open as they did at times against UVa.

I think we win, but don't think we beat the current 16-point spread.

Oct 4, 2020, 9:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Takeaways from UVA game ]

Yep, too many missed open field, one on one tackles. It allowed the QB to have the stats he did,

It's almost like Dabo and Tony intentionally coach

Oct 4, 2020, 1:56 PM

to create mayhem, chaos and challenges for the team to overcome early in the season.

Dabo understands the ACC is too weak to provide this (any) challenge so he creates it by putting the team and players in poor situations they will need to overcome. Anyway, that's my take. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe he’s called it manufacturing adversity

Oct 4, 2020, 7:04 PM

Or something like that

Re: I believe he’s called it manufacturing adversity

Oct 5, 2020, 5:53 PM

yes, well said

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I believe he’s called it manufacturing adversity

Oct 5, 2020, 6:07 PM

SocMan2® said:

yes, well said

Yep! The Clemson fan that bets or likes to brag a lot hated this game in my opinion. We didn't cover the spread and we didn't look like a dominant SEC team would look against what "some view" as a "lowly ACC team"! I get all that.

But, for fans who see the down the road picture, this game was perfect! You look at the experience, size/height/weight, ranking Virginia has on the line of scrimmage and you can easily understand us having some trouble with them. Fortunately they don't have the skill position players yet to compliment the team Mendenhall has built on the lines.

This game will go a long way in helping season a bunch of our new OL and DL starters. I think this game made us better in short and forget all the other stuff. How you are playing in December and January are more important. Assuming you win enough to get there of course!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2020, 4:09 PM

I tell you what that tunnel screen with Ladson was deadly. Could have racked up a bunch of yards middle and with some screens. Their LB’s
were not built for speed. Agree though overall Virgina was a better team than advertised.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Elliott frustrates me at times.

Oct 4, 2020, 10:28 PM

Example, last night we're up 17 with 12 minutes left and we have the best running back in the nation...so we throw the ball four or five straight plays. Just baffling, and he consistently goes away from the run when it isn't warranted. It will eventually cost us a(nother) game if it keeps up.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How about at the end of the half when we had 1:40

Oct 5, 2020, 5:32 PM

On the clock and we ripped a quick 3 and out passing the ball.

Uva got the ball back and scored a quick TD before half.

I thought we should have had the last possession there. Defense did get scorched but it didn’t look like great clock management to me.

PFF rated Virginia #1 returning OL.

Oct 5, 2020, 5:47 PM

Not Alabama, Ohio State or Georgia - UVA!!!

Mendenhall has built(recruited and strength, speed and conditioning) the cavs like a Big 10 team. They just don't have the athletes to compliment their line of scrimmage play.

The exact opposite when Dabo built Clemson i.m.o because we would have all these skill guys kicking butt;but we could not control the line of scrimmage against certain opponents.

UVA if they can get some speed in the right spots will be more than a handful to beat! They coming on strong! I see the UVA win as a good thing; especially because Tyler Davis didn't play! XT and Justin Foster didn't play.
On offense I mean - complain about coach Elliott and co. but we won the game by 18 points the offense scored. Not like we had a bunch of scoop and scores.
UVA had 17 starters back on a team that battled Florida Gators in the Orange bowl until depth became an issue and they lost. No way did I think this game would be easy. I think people thought no Perkins. No problem. But, Armstrong is a really heady football player and will be tough to beat if he plays like that consistently.

In short, "we good"! This UVA game was just what the doctor ordered for some guys who have cruised along so far maybe thinking they would all be easy! Now they know it won't be! And that's a good thing!

Re: Elliott frustrates me at times. Staff Call & Game Plan

Oct 5, 2020, 5:40 PM [ in reply to Elliott frustrates me at times. ]

Example, last night we're up 17 with 12 minutes left and we have the best running back in the nation...so we throw the ball four or five straight plays. Just baffling, and he consistently goes away from the run when it isn't warranted. It will eventually cost us a(nother) game if it keeps up.

They talk about what plays. When. What personnel group prior to game time. I don't see it as an Elliott problem so much as a offensive staff issue. Sometimes you can out smart yourself to that point. But, I have full confidence in what Coach Elliott and company are doing. Who knows - Trevor and Streeter may have seen a look they liked and they "collectively" agreed to give it a shot.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic