Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Taisun Phommachanh
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 7,121

Taisun Phommachanh

Dec 17, 2020, 8:48 AM

I hesitate to post this. It is the kind of message that could be easily interpreted as a drive-by shooting from a guy who hates Clemson and just wants to cause trouble.

Please do not take it that way. It is just a sincere question that I am wondering what y'all think and wondering if anybody has heard anything.

What are the plans for Taisun?

I am thinking Taisun will either change positions and remain at Clemson (my hope) or enter the transfer portal.

He clearly has the athletic ability and the size to play somewhere else (WR, TE, DB, OLB?) on the field. He's a redshirt freshman. That means he can transfer and be a freshman next year at another school. With the new rules he would be eligible to play next year and still be a freshman.

I think that the probability of him being on the roster at Clemson as a QB next year is extremely small.

What do y'all think? I would love to see him change positions and get on the field next year. I have no idea what position he would be playing. But, I gotta believe that Dabo and Brent and Tony would love to have that discussion.

If he enters the portal, I could see Mike Leach and Lane Kiffin racing to see who could talk to him first. Heck, I could see Kirby Smart beating both of them to TP's virtual doorstep.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Taisun Phommachanh

Dec 17, 2020, 8:50 AM

He will get his degree before he does anything. He is a competitor though so who knows.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he will probably stay at QB

Dec 17, 2020, 8:52 AM

either at Clemson or somewhere else

I would not give up on him yet

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Dec 17, 2020, 8:53 AM

I think transferring is likely. The kid deserves a chance to play somewhere.

That said, please not to the places that you have named. He deserves better than that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2020, 8:56 AM

Some thoughts...

- With Covid rules ...this season didn’t cost him any eligibility..
- He’s at least no worse than 2nd on the depth chart... at Clemson that means he WILL play... Dabo doesn’t leave the 1st team guy in just to pad stats (ever)..,

We get at least one more season from him ...

Dec 17, 2020, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Taisun Phommachanh ]

Be careful Tobias I got thumbs down twice for even suggesting he might.Right 74tiger.

Dec 17, 2020, 8:54 AM

I expect he stays at qb and at Clemson.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have several examples of this situation in the past

Dec 17, 2020, 8:56 AM

and each of those situations says that Taisun will transfer. No chance to unseat Trevor, wasn't called upon when Trevor was hurt, little chance to start next year, we've seen it before. Chase Brice, Kelly Bryant, Zerrick Cooper, Hunter Johnson, now Taisun.

Like you, I hope that doesn't happen, but the past has repeated itself many times before.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I still think he stays for at least

Dec 17, 2020, 9:02 AM

One more year..

He’ll get meaningful snaps next season...and even if he wants to transfer..

He needs to audition for his next school....

Re: We have several examples of this situation in the past

Dec 17, 2020, 9:04 AM [ in reply to We have several examples of this situation in the past ]

YOu may be right. Of those you mentioned only Cooper has had it really work out

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're certainly not the first to speculate on this...

Dec 17, 2020, 9:07 AM

Phommachanh is currently third on the QB depth chart. To further compound matters, he broke his hand during the Georgia Tech game which most certainly cost him some PT.

He has great size and athleticism, and I think he could be a really tough wide receiver to defend not to mention providing some added depth to the position.

Clearly, DJU5 (Big Cinco) is going to be Clemson's starting QB next year (assuming TL leaves). While I prefer that TP remain at QB as a very reliable back-up, I can also envision a scenario where the staff experiments with him at other positions.

You have to find a way to get your best players on the field and he's definitely a good one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: You're certainly not the first to speculate on this...

Dec 17, 2020, 9:34 AM

I think he changes positions or hits the transfer portal. Don't know what position he could change to and get playing time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You're certainly not the first to speculate on this...

Dec 17, 2020, 9:34 AM [ in reply to You're certainly not the first to speculate on this... ]

Quarterback is probably the most drama position at any school. These guys out of high school know the deal. Unlike every other position there is only one guy that is 'the man". Once that is established it is decision time - be a back-up change positions or transfer....

Dec 17, 2020, 9:49 AM

I have stated before that TP is Kelly Bryant.

Kelly Bryant looked the exact same throwing the ball in his first 2 years on campus. We didn't see him throw competitively until his 3rd year in the program. We all know that is never really became a strength in his game. That third year will be next year for Taisun so I would expect to see improvement in him next season.

Similar to Bryant, TP is not fast enough or athletic enough to play another position at a high level.

To add to that issue, Clemson is currently loaded with young talent at every single position that would be a logical change. Also Taisun has never trained for any of those other positions.

Clemson will likely have 8 sophomore or younger WRs next season.

Clemson will likely have 5 TEs on the roster next season and the incoming freshman is a stud.

Clemson is very young at safety and with the fact that the coaches are calling Barrett Carter a safety, there is no way he cracks into that group.

In all honesty, the fastest way to the field for Taisun at Clemson is to be the backup QB.

I don't know if he will stay or go during this offseason, but just like Bryant even though he is being called an "athletic QB" he can't actually play another position and get on the field quickly for a good team.

Dec 17, 2020, 12:24 PM

I don't see similarities to Kelly Bryant when I see Taisun Phommchanh. Taisun is a much better qb prospect than Bryant was. Bryant was more of a run first, throw last type of athlete that was in the qb position. Taisun doesn't have that run or die mentality that Bryant had. Taisun has a much better arm and is more accurate. I would compare Taisun more to a Zerrick Cooper or a poor man's Tajh Boyd.

I could be way off, but I just think Taisun is much stronger in the passing portion than he actually gets credit for.

Dec 17, 2020, 1:34 PM

I have no information of how Taisun has performed in practices throwing the football so my judgement is based solely on game performance. I'm not interested in what he is "supposed to be".

All I know is that if you look at Bryant's few attempts to throw in his first couple of seasons and you look at Taisun's attempted passes the last couple of seasons, the ball looks almost exactly the same coming out.

Bryant tried to fight the notion of being a run first guy by transferring high schools his senior season.

Clemson tried to bill Bryant as a "much-improved" passer heading into the 2017 season when he took over.

He even threw for over 300 yards in the opener against Kent St. Then he repeated the feat against the Citadel later in the year.

The problem with Bryant in the passing game, the same I have seen early in Taisun, is that the throws come out a little late and don't get to their target with pop on the ball.

That's why Bryant had success against bad defenses because the windows were bigger and they weren't closing as quickly. Against the better defenses where anticipation and timing are the key to the passing game, he did not fair nearly as well.

Where I do think you are right is that Taisun's speed and athleticism is much closer to Cooper's. That is likely why we haven't seen him show the running ability we saw from a young Bryant.

I also don't think Taisun is a bad player, just like Bryant wasn't.

I hope Taisun is just not showing what he can do. I hope he kills it this offseason and is an amazing backup for us next season.

I'm simply commenting on what we have seen from him to this point in games.

My guess is he transfers

Dec 17, 2020, 10:23 AM

Good guy but he has no future at QB here. I doubt he wants to give up pursuing the position. Needs a lower level of competition to succeed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Neon Deon poaches him***

Dec 17, 2020, 11:14 AM

Dec 17, 2020, 11:58 AM

My guess is he stays. He will be the clear favorite as QB2 next season which means he should get on the field a good bit. None of the QB recruits coming in next season are likely threats to ever move past him on the depth chart which means he's likely QB2 the next two seasons. He would be then the likely starter for his final season of eligibility, assuming DJ leaves after three years. Only thing that upsets this scenario if if we bring in a stud QB in 2022 who might push him out of the starting job. I think he might move on if that were to happen. Otherwise, being the backup QB and being surrounded by great weapons is probably a better use of his skills over the next couple of seasons than transferring and starting all over elsewhere. I hope he sticks around because I think he's got the tools to be a better version of Bryant, which would be a nice option for us to have his senior year.

Dec 17, 2020, 12:29 PM

I think Hunter Helms is the favorite to be backup QB next season. He's a true freshman this year and despite COVID restrictions is already better than Taisun.

I will be totally shocked if Taisun doesn't transfer.

Tricky One Here!

Dec 17, 2020, 12:41 PM

Loved Tigers O breakdown.

To me we do not have a large enough sample size as fans to say HH will be DJU's back up. Taison was a 4 star for a reason folks. His level of competition in Connecticut wasn't great - so I think the speed of the game overwhelmed him.
Any back up getting into the game at QB has to be graded with a bit of - hmmm, let's check all variables included. Like was the starting OL in or the backup OL. Did they just hand it off? Did they end up throwing on a 3rd and forever play behind the backup line? The GT game got everyone including myself excited about double H; but I am not ready to write off Taison.

We know better than anyone in the country the value of having a reliable number 2 quarterback! It's an important position and we need someone who can help us move the ball.
If Taison beat beat HH out just because he had knowledge of the system this year, we will see. The spring game will tell us a bunch! Who is ahead and is has taken a step back! Hopefully both are productive and it's close. I just would hate for him to transfer and then bank on double H to be the backup.

We expect to see some of the Tajh Boyd type QB power with DJU which might get him knicked up some. The game at GT was great - but as said already TP had a broken hand we found out later. Which is why HH got so much playing time. Just not a big enough sample size for me to call him a Kelly Bryant clone just yet. They must have liked something about the kid! If he proves it in practice and wins the job and is satisfied - I would love to have him.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/hunter-helms-220489

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/taisun-phommachanh-51179

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he will transfer elsewhere to be a QB.

Dec 17, 2020, 12:14 PM

I don't see him getting meaningful playing time at Clemson. As mentioned, DJ is the starter next year, and I'm not convinced Taisun will be able to secure the backup spot next year either. That leaves very little chance for meaningful playing time at Clemson as a QB.

Based on the (very limited) action he has seen, he hasn't shown much passing ability. I realize that the game moves very fast at this level compared to high school, but I wasn't convinced of his ability to be a starting QB for a program like ours. I could certainly be wrong, however.

It seems that 99% of the time, the superstar QBs have the "it" factor early on. If they don't have it then, it isn't likely they are going to learn the position well enough to be an elite QB.

The comparison to Kelly Bryant in another post seems spot on.

As was true with Bryant, people are suggesting that Taisun simply switch positions. I think that's a longshot, as switching positions at the college level is really really difficult. I believe that has a low likelihood of working out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Dec 17, 2020, 1:09 PM

There was this guy...Chase Brice I think his name was. Yeah

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2020, 1:20 PM

If we continue recruiting well at QB, we will likely always be having a similar conversation and that’s not a bad thing.

In a related matter, I listened to what Dabo said about Will Taylor yesterday and was a little perplexed to start. My thought was “if you know you’re going to move him to the slot receiver anyway, why waste a year with him at QB?”

But upon reflection, maybe it’s just more of the Dabo genius at work. We will have a system-ready and trained QB on the team ready to help out over the next 4 years and smooth out any shortages in the QB room through transfers or injuries.

Dec 17, 2020, 1:44 PM

Dabo explained his decision by referencing the Hunter Renfrow emergency QB situation.

He said when Hunter had to step into that role he had no clue what he was doing because they never trained him as a QB.

He said they want to give Taylor a foundation that will not only help him learn the entire offense but will allow him to be available to use his skill set if needed.

Something that most people won't know about Taylor is that when he gets to campus he will be one of the fastest players on the FOOTBALL team.

He will more than likely be the fastest player on the baseball team along with that.

Replies: 24
| visibility 7,121
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic