Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TUA is good, BUT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

TUA is good, BUT

Oct 13, 2018, 9:00 PM

It seems like he’s constantly throwing to wide open receivers. I could make those throws. Ok, maybe not me but most college QBs outside hurts or Kelly could. The love fest needs to end. It’s still their running game that sets it up. 12 of 20 is best QB in college material? Gimme a break Espn.

He’s good yes. But best in college no. He’s a product of a system. The end. Make him throw to beat someone and it’s a different story. Can’t wait to line up against them and crush their dreams

Maybe like Jake Fromm....

Message was edited by: CUinTampa

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alabama has always found ways to get receivers open.

Oct 13, 2018, 9:03 PM

Just look at our games with them. At least once a game, some receiver is 30 yards downfield and nobody is within 20 yards of him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is true!***

Oct 13, 2018, 9:07 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Alabama has always found ways to get receivers open.

Oct 13, 2018, 9:11 PM [ in reply to Alabama has always found ways to get receivers open. ]

I still have TE nightmares.. give them credit for a good plan. But don’t give the QB credit for hitting a wide open WR. Makes me wonder sometimes why so many of our passes are always into tight coverage it seems. With our WRs, they should be “more” open. Maybe it’s just me

Re: TUA is good, BUT

Oct 13, 2018, 9:09 PM

They have some cracks in the armor on defense but everyone is so enamored with the offense to notice.

They are thin in secondary/linebackers and don’t have the super scary dlinemen of years past. Going into this game, they had giving up more passing TDs than all of last year.

I believe we may have the formula to beat them. Tua hasn’t seen an attacking d like ours yet and our offense should be humming if we get the chance to play them.

** just realized I went way off track to the op question, too many brews!!**

Message was edited by: KillaK

Message was edited by: KillaK

Oct 13, 2018, 9:12 PM

So why aren't everyones WRs open all the time?

I mean, bama hasnt really played anyone this year, but it is pretty clear they're one of the best. Also, i dont know if we've been really tested through the air. Our dbs are still in need of testing

Oct 13, 2018, 9:15 PM

Give credit where it is due . The OL is keeping his uniform clean as a whistle . I don't think I have seen him pressured at all this season ... at all .
Somebody with a great DL would make it a contest there. Ya'll k.ow anybody with a great defensive line ?

Alabama's defense is medium-pimpin' . They're solid , but not as tight as they have been over the last 5 years . That unit can be had .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

You are so very wrong***

Oct 13, 2018, 9:18 PM

Re: You are so very wrong***

Oct 13, 2018, 9:19 PM

Who? Which post? Do explain

I'm thinking the OP?

Oct 13, 2018, 10:29 PM

Tua's passer rating this season is 258

Baker mayfield's last season was 198

We won't get a chance to see Tua under pressure. I don't see us getting consistent pressure on him. Bama usually has one of the best OLs. We couldn't even get to Kellen Mond.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2018, 9:20 PM

Tua is obviously a good QB, but we haven’t seen him play under constant duress. He has more time in the pocket than any QB. I would love to see how he plays when he’s getting lit up by a defense.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2018, 9:28 PM

If Tua isn't the best QB, then who is?

Going into today, he's been completing over 75 percent of his passes, has 18 TD's with 0 INT's, and has 1495 pass yards. He leads the nation in quarterback rating, yards/attempt, and QBR all by a wide margin. He's accumulated all of these stats without throwing a pass in the 4th quarter all year and with Jalen Hurts playing some series as well.

When a QB is in an air raid offense like WSU, Hawaii or Texas Tech that is a system QB. If Tua is only a system QB then why hasn't Saban ever had a QB anywhere near this good before?

It's okay to give credit to an opposing player.

Oct 13, 2018, 9:35 PM

He’s good. Not denying that. But if you think he’s a bettter QB that will Grier, our Lawrence or others you’re wrong. Their running game sets it up. TUA never gets any pressure. Ever. Like ever. How many bama qbs did well and won championships and are now commentating (that one red head guy..). They don’t play in the nfl for a reason. They manange the run game then throw to wide open wide receivers. Period. Good, ok. I’ll give you that. Best qb in college. NO

Oct 13, 2018, 9:47 PM

But no other Alabama QB under Saban (McElroy, McCarron, Coker, Hurts) has ever put up anywhere close to the kind of numbers that Tua has. Tua is clearly in a different league than all of those other guys. No previous Bama QB under Saban has ever led the NCAA in all of those stats.

Tua's numbers are all better than Will Grier. Grier is a great QB, and Lawrence is destined to be a great QB as well, but no one is performing at the level of Tua this year.

Oct 13, 2018, 9:53 PM

Also, Tua is on pace to absolutely shatter the season records for yards/attempt, quarterback rating, and QBR.

Oct 13, 2018, 9:53 PM [ in reply to Re: TUA is good, BUT ]

Ohh. That’s right. Grier has the talent around him that TUA does.. Lawrence does but we’re constantly throwing into tight coverage. Again. Watch the game, not the stats.. he’s throwing to wide open recovers. tonight, 12/20... wow that’s impressive. Bama is just good at calling the right plays.

If stats only mattered the big 12 QBs would all be in the nfl. It doesn’t.

Oct 13, 2018, 10:01 PM

Or that qb Brennan or whatever from Hawaii in mid 2000s. Man he had great stats. So did that kid from Boise state. Or johnnienmanziel. Or Danny wurffel (spelling?). Man, but that don’t. TUA is a college qb on the right team. Remember. Jake from looked great until he played a defense with a pulse. That ended.. ohhh. Today

Oct 13, 2018, 11:16 PM

All of those guys in the air raid offenses like Colt Brennan, Graham Harrell, Case Keenum, etc. were great in the counting stats due to the number of times they threw the ball. The difference is that Tua is piling up the counting stats in considerably less time with rate stats that are drastically higher and record setting.

If it was simply a matter of Alabama having a better scheme than their opponents then why hasn't any other QB produced at anywhere near this level? Also, if it were simply scheme then you would expect all of Saban's previous coordinators to be able to produce offenses with QB's that also put up record setting numbers. That simply isn't the case with Kiffin, McElwain, etc.

There's no denying that Bama has superior talent to almost every other team. The only teams that have more talent than Bama according to 24/7 are Ohio State and Georgia. If it were a talent issue then why don't the QB's at those schools ever produce at the rate that Tua has this year? If Tua's success is strictly due to Alabama's strong running game, then why haven't UGA's top talent QB's have the same level of production with their running game being stronger than Alabama? Alabama had a better running game the last few years than they do this year yet they've never had a QB that could dominate like Tua.

They have not had to run to set up the pass

Oct 13, 2018, 10:38 PM [ in reply to Re: TUA is good, BUT ]

Theyve been coming out throwing early in every game and Tua is just carving people up. The traditional Bama running game is just a card they have in their back pocket that they havent even needed to play yet because nobody has been able to stop Tua and those WRs.

And yes he does have a really clean pocket to throw out of most of the time but hes also elusive and good outside of the pocket. And hes ridiculously accurate.

The only thing that can stop Tua this year is injury. We will see what's going on with this knee thing but he ran off the field so I assume it's not that bad.

TUA is not a product of a system. Alabama

Oct 13, 2018, 11:24 PM

changed its system because of TUA. He is a generational type player much like Watson was to Clemson.

Tell me the last time you ever saw Bama put up QB numbers like this? Never under Saban. They changed their offense to fit TUA. Give the kid credit. He proved it on the biggest stage last year as a freshman that literally had not played any meaningful minutes for an entire season.

Oct 14, 2018, 12:06 AM

Well they did make him throw to beat Uga for the natty....which he did! As a true freshman on the biggest stage in a deep hole! Yeah I think he may be pretty good

Oct 14, 2018, 10:49 AM

I wanna see what he does against LSU in Baton Rouge. That's goiing to be his hardest test. On the road possibly at night against a NFL caliber secondary. His WRs won't be running wide open that much.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree... probably his first real test by a secondary.***

Oct 14, 2018, 11:02 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he played at Clemson, he would be at worst, 2nd best ever

Oct 14, 2018, 2:03 PM

to play the position for us

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic