Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: No More Balloons: Clemson ends 30-year tradition of balloon launch
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 133
| visibility 51

TNET: No More Balloons: Clemson ends 30-year tradition of balloon launch

Jul 27, 2018, 10:02 PM

No More Balloons: Clemson ends 30-year tradition of balloon launch

For all of those who love the pageantry and excitement of the Clemson Tigers running down the hill, a part of that tradition is going away this season. There wi Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The massive release of orange doves that replaces this will be spectacular!

Jul 27, 2018, 10:05 PM

And eco-friendly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: The massive release of orange doves that replaces this will be spectacular!

Jul 27, 2018, 10:12 PM

Doves won’t work, it causes worse environmental problems. Neither can butterflies.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2018, 10:22 PM

Doves *are* a natural part of the environment. And edible. Maybe the doves will eat the butterflies for a twofer?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jul 27, 2018, 10:29 PM

Hey dood, I don’t give a #### but just saying the ecos say. That’s all. Been there and done that with this argument with the tree huggers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the limit is 15 - I'll be in lot 2 - disregard the

Jul 27, 2018, 10:12 PM [ in reply to The massive release of orange doves that replaces this will be spectacular! ]

shots but show up at half for a good dove bog.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the limit is 15 - I'll be in lot 2 - disregard the

Jul 27, 2018, 10:21 PM

That works for me. Guess we can use orange bbq sauce.

Re: I think the limit is 15 - I'll be in lot 2 - disregard the

Jul 30, 2018, 10:53 PM [ in reply to I think the limit is 15 - I'll be in lot 2 - disregard the ]

Marinate in Dons low salt,wrap in bacon and sprinkle zesty lime seasoning. Grill until perfect. My sunflower field is 12 miles from Death Valley. Can’t wait for that opening shoot.

Re: The massive release of orange doves that replaces this will be spectacular!***

Jul 27, 2018, 10:12 PM [ in reply to The massive release of orange doves that replaces this will be spectacular! ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: The massive release of orange doves that replaces this will be spectacular!***

Eco won’t let you but it would be spectacular.

Jul 27, 2018, 11:20 PM [ in reply to Re: The massive release of orange doves that replaces this will be spectacular!*** ]

Better yet ....orange colored homing pigeons. Recycling at its best!!! Go Tigers

Jul 28, 2018, 2:50 AM

But who wants Dove or Pigeons shiot all over them or their vehicles!!!

send them to the visiting teams' benches***

Jul 28, 2018, 1:48 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2018, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Re: The massive release of orange doves that replaces this will be spectacular!*** ]

Terrible aim.

They would probably eat baby turtles...........***

Jul 27, 2018, 10:32 PM [ in reply to The massive release of orange doves that replaces this will be spectacular! ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spray painting doves orange is tuff...the critters wiggle

Jul 28, 2018, 8:26 AM [ in reply to The massive release of orange doves that replaces this will be spectacular! ]

& peck you too much...or, or, or so I've heard.

It's pronounced "L Heff A" and it means "The Boss".

I will volunteer to paint the doves orange.***

Jul 28, 2018, 9:44 PM [ in reply to The massive release of orange doves that replaces this will be spectacular! ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was at that game and remember it vividly.

Jul 27, 2018, 10:07 PM

It was amazing to be there as a small boy with your best friend and to be a part of that. I remember hearing that weather radar picked it up as well. Not sure if that is true.

It's a great memory but I get the reasons and support it.

We can find a new way of celebrating the entrance ... who's really looking at the balloons anyway?

Please just don't make it smoke and movie soundtracks and we'll be just fine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Re: Was at that game and remember it vividly.

Jul 27, 2018, 10:23 PM

Yep, and it was spectacular!!!! Got chills all over your body and man it was loud.

Jul 28, 2018, 7:16 AM

Absolutely! I was a freshman in Tiger Band drum line; the crowd was extremely loud! I could hardly hear the drums!!!

Jul 27, 2018, 10:40 PM [ in reply to Was at that game and remember it vividly. ]

As one of the "3,000 students" that filled up the ballons that day, I vaugely remember the game. It was kinda cold, and the pulpy orange juice they gave out that morning sure did mix well with the vodka in most of our coats, lol

Jul 27, 2018, 11:37 PM

I was a freshman and helped blow up balloons. Proud memory. We beat Boomer Esiason the next day and won the unofficial ACC championship. Remember we were on probation.

Jul 28, 2018, 12:00 AM

Why was I thinking y’ll Filled them up on the sidelines before the game. Anyway, I know we thought that was the coolest thing.

I was there filling balloons that morning too and yes

Jul 28, 2018, 7:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Was at that game and remember it vividly. ]

It was chilly and we brought our vodka to mix with the OJ to get the party started! ????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: No More Balloons: Clemson ends 30-year tradition of balloon launch

Jul 27, 2018, 10:10 PM

Guess we should all just chug on over to mamby pamby land...

As @deroberts says...SIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHH

Jul 27, 2018, 10:19 PM

de what say you? Siiigh or No? I think Siiiigh.

So... does that wrap up coverage of the cookout?***

Jul 27, 2018, 10:12 PM

Jul 27, 2018, 10:15 PM

Biodegradable balloons - you can get 72 for $20 online so that would only cost like $100,000.

better idea.

Jul 27, 2018, 10:17 PM

if they put an illustration of the sea turtle's natural predator, the seagull, on the sides of all of the balloons, they might stay away from them.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2018, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: No More Balloons: Clemson ends 30-year tradition of balloon launch ]

Nope, not eco friendly. They don’t degrade fast enough. I promise you I’ve had this conversation with peeps before.

That's what I've read as well

Jul 27, 2018, 10:22 PM

I'm not an "environmentalist" but if the balloons are still killing animals I'd rather not see Clemson contribute to the problem on a large scale. The balloon release just isn't significant enough to me to justify it. We have plenty of other great traditions.

Re: That's what I've read as well

Jul 29, 2018, 8:19 AM

No evidence of it killing animals. Latex ballloons completely break down in short order. All a made up fear with no foundation in fact. What tradition do we wish to attack next? With enough lies, and made up issues, we can surely eliminate anything! We have the power so let's make a name for ourselves by attacking things that give folks pleasure and enjoyment. The resulting controversy gets our name in the paper, expands our power and influence,... which is all we wanted in the first place anyway.

Re: That's what I've read as well

Jul 30, 2018, 10:40 AM

Short order = approx 5 years in most all cases. This is crazy, it’s a balloon, we don’t need no stinking balloons to be the best place to go for a college game. And if additional littering all over the area stops all the better.

There’s only one eco friendly alternative that’s been done but it would take you engine neers to make it work on a large scale.

Orange filled helium bubbles. It’s been done just not large scale.

Jul 27, 2018, 11:15 PM

Orange smoke an LOTS of it......gonna miss the balloons.. Go Tigers

Jul 28, 2018, 12:17 AM

I HOPE you’re kidding! NOOOO!!!

Will miss this but Understan

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2018, 10:18 PM

Understand

Jul 27, 2018, 10:27 PM

It was funny when some guy lit the Auburn toilet paper tree on fire. But with the CO2 released by burning paper, he'd probably get the death penalty these days.

The only thing I can figure is that all those balloons

Jul 27, 2018, 10:18 PM

were losing helium somewhere right over downtown Columbia.....apparently some of the folks in that area weren't fond of orange balloons.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it’s helped control the coot

Jul 27, 2018, 10:37 PM

Population. They thought it had been raining free condoms 7 times each fall.

It’s the right thing to do. Go Tigers!***

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Balloons replaced by SNOWFLAKES. Sad, sad times.

Jul 27, 2018, 10:24 PM

How well I remember that Maryland game and the record breaking balloon launch.
Used to help inflate balloons in the late 70s with Central Spirit.
Too bad the P.C. police get their way yet again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Balloons replaced by SNOWFLAKES. Sad, sad times.

Jul 28, 2018, 12:17 AM

I was at that game too and remember the spectacle of all those ballons floating up when they were released.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bad sarcasm or ignorance personified.***

Jul 28, 2018, 1:10 AM [ in reply to Balloons replaced by SNOWFLAKES. Sad, sad times. ]

Cars kill more turtles in a month than ballon fragments in

Jul 28, 2018, 1:58 PM

5 years.

We should quit driving.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Jul 27, 2018, 10:26 PM

I’m telling ya, bubbles will work.

Jul 27, 2018, 10:30 PM

Slippery soapy concrete ramps, old people crashing everywhere, it would be a mess.

Jul 27, 2018, 10:33 PM

Upper decks are dangerously steep, bubbles or no bubbles.

Let’s just block those off too.

Can’t be too careful, ya know?

And the left strikes again. Everything that is good and

Jul 27, 2018, 10:31 PM

Fun and traditional is torn down. One by one, brick by brick. Is there evidence of this loggerhead death by orange balloons? It’s probably wrapped it’s neck with a mouth full of plastic drink straws.

Message was edited by: thetigerdaddy®

Re: And the left strikes again. Everything that is good and

Jul 28, 2018, 12:13 AM

You nailed it. Very sad.

Apparently liking our planet is political.

Jul 28, 2018, 1:25 AM

I voted for Bush and politics shouldn’t mean s#!t on this topic. It’s mind boggling how many ignorant people there are when it comes to the environment. Regardless of the global warming debate (since small minds can’t conprehend anything they can’t see), it’s not complicated to understand that trashing the planet with plastics isn’t sustainable - unless you don’t give two-$#!ts about your children or their children. I don’t have kids so maybe I shouldn’t care either since you’ll be the ones £¥

Re: Apparently liking our planet is political.

Jul 28, 2018, 6:41 AM

Soooo there aren't biodegradable balloons on the market or is that an aspect of reality you choose not to acknowledge? Man I just can't keep up with what breaks from reality make you people cry and yell from day to day.

Ya ya ya go ahead with your childish tirade in retort. We just like winding you up like a bat s#!+ crazy little top and watch you go. Ha Ha

Re: Apparently liking our planet is political.

Jul 30, 2018, 10:37 AM

Not in a real sense. All latex or latex “alternative” type balloons break down over a period of years, and they never really “bio-degrade” they just become smaller and smaller pieces. The real issue is that process takes years not minutes to occur. Additionally i think littering is the wrong thing to do, and no one retrives all these pieces of balloon to put them in a trash can once they land. So pretty much we are just improperly littering all over the county/state/country. Would be interesting to see if we could be fined if a balloon lands on one of the state roads that has a littering fine attached to it.

Assume it's due to lazy students not wanting to do the work***

Jul 27, 2018, 10:34 PM

Makes sense and probably a very long time coming.***

Jul 27, 2018, 10:35 PM

Simply applying the principal of "don't shyat were you eat"

Jul 27, 2018, 10:40 PM

I will miss it but its the right thing to do.

There is a big issue with plastics in the sea that end up on the dinner table.

https://www.theoceancleanup.com/great-pacific-garbage-patch/

Just educate yourselves. Not a left/right issue.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Simply applying the principal of "don't shyat were you eat"

Jul 27, 2018, 10:58 PM

Yes. We do need to educate ourselves.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-01-13/5-countries-dump-more-plastic-oceans-rest-world-combined

If people want to stop it for symbolic reasons then fine, but lets understand this makes no real impact. People need to look to Asia if they want to see where changes can make a real impact.

Jul 27, 2018, 11:41 PM

I don't see any orange balloons in those pictures...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2018, 12:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Simply applying the principal of "don't shyat were you eat" ]

Yes, you are absolutely correct. It’s not only cheap labor the reason they produce for less, it’s cheaper practices like this too. Yet the commie left want to put it all on America and make Americans pay for it.

Hey man, I agree but BE the change you want to see in the

Jul 28, 2018, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Simply applying the principal of "don't shyat were you eat" ]

world. I firmly believe in that. I realize a lot don't.

Jul 28, 2018, 12:52 AM [ in reply to Simply applying the principal of "don't shyat were you eat" ]

That whole site was geared around the Pacific Ocean being nasty... South Carolina doesn't border that last time I was educated...

Jul 28, 2018, 2:10 AM

Exactly. This will make no significant impact to the problem of plastics in the ocean. Zero.

Jul 28, 2018, 7:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Simply applying the principal of "don't shyat were you eat" ]

the Atlantic Ocean has it's own "plastic patches"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not about what's" around" it..

Jul 28, 2018, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Simply applying the principal of "don't shyat were you eat" ]

runoff from everywhere collects there because of ocean currents.

If you really want to discuss the issue I believe it's important to know a little bit about it. I am not picking on you but science really doesn't have a narrative or a political opinion like people do. This is why I like it so much - takes the emotion out.

Jul 28, 2018, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Simply applying the principal of "don't shyat were you eat" ]

Please educate yourself.... the mighty garbage patch has been debunked many times just as man made global warming.... please get out of your circle of hysterical reports...... don't you think it's odd that the garbage patch is that large but the are no pictures of it? They just keep showing those pictures of Japan after the tsunami and you sheep think that's what the Pacific looks like...i love the environment, but i hate disinformation campaigns....

Excuse me? I studied this is science class in grad school

Jul 28, 2018, 12:37 PM

I would have to disagree with you. I have seen and studied the data.

Edit: is = in

Jul 28, 2018, 12:47 PM

amazing I haven't learned to proof-read yet =)

Jul 29, 2018, 12:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Simply applying the principal of "don't shyat were you eat" ]

You didn't just say that did you? See the post below. Head out of sand please...

edit: where not were

Jul 28, 2018, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Simply applying the principal of "don't shyat were you eat" ]

I hate that policy.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!***

Jul 27, 2018, 10:40 PM

Jul 27, 2018, 10:41 PM

https://youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y

Geez..we’ve lost Dan’s Burgers, Kickerbocher’s Downtown, Clemson House & now

Jul 27, 2018, 11:05 PM

this! What’s next..the Esso Club?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Geez..we’ve lost Dan’s Burgers, Kickerbocher’s Downtown, Clemson House & now

Jul 28, 2018, 12:18 AM

Probably not next. Next to go is running onto the field. Probably adopt sec policy.

Who cares? No biggee.***

Jul 27, 2018, 11:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who cares? No biggee.***

Jul 28, 2018, 12:31 AM

We do. YES, biggee.

We want the balloons gawt ###### !

Jul 27, 2018, 11:17 PM

Which member of the “fun police” killed it ? Fire him/her !!! What was the concern, the self esteem of the opposing team might be hurt ? Puck That ! There is a new Sheriff in town and we’re not going to take it anymore!

Jul 27, 2018, 11:37 PM

While we are at it:

Ban all grills at tailgating - global warming
Ban all plastic products like drink cups sold at game
Close all campus parking on game day to force people to commute to the game
Play all games during the day to save electricity
Ban fly over on military appreciation day - carbon foot print nightmare
Stop using fertilizer on that field. Bad for the ground water
Stop watering the field - waste of a natural resource
Stop the tradition of yelling at the other offense - noise pollution is not nice
Tear down the Hartwell (big concrete thing that keeps water back and floods land). Loss of natural habitat by the man made monstrosity
Turn off all A/C around campus. Open the window like they did in the old days
Stop all construction around the university.

or...

Stop this nonsense crap already!!!

Clemson University... Wise up.. If you force us to find another love, our money will follow our heart...

Message was edited by: AthensGaTiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2018, 12:22 AM

There’s plenty of people that would love to see this happening.

I get the sarcasm

Jul 28, 2018, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: No More Balloons: Clemson ends 30-year tradition of balloon launch ]

But it's dangerous to give liberals such ideas.

It's not a 30-year tradition

Jul 27, 2018, 11:38 PM

The balloons didn't start with the 1983 Maryland game.

Clemson was releasing balloons when the team ran down the Hill in the 1970s.

And of course, back then, anyone could go over to the student section and get balloons to release--they weren't in a controlled release from netting in the end zone.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

http://www.cutigers.com/2009/football/virginia/slides/_KWB7614a.jpg

Re: It's not a 30-year tradition

Jul 28, 2018, 12:32 AM

That’s why I was thinking they’d blow them up before the game on the sidelines... I do remember them handing them out. Because you’d see single ones going up every now and then when they were warming up. Remember the games but have to look up the years.

Jul 28, 2018, 12:39 AM [ in reply to It's not a 30-year tradition ]

null

Message was edited by: gvltiger81

Jul 28, 2018, 12:39 AM [ in reply to It's not a 30-year tradition ]

Exactly. Obviously not many of us remember that far back. My, the times they are a changing. ??

Jul 28, 2018, 9:16 AM [ in reply to It's not a 30-year tradition ]

That is what I was going to add. I was in Central Spirit in 1977, and I know I got up early on home games to go blow up and distribute balloons to students.

In the early 80’s, single balloons were handed out and in

Jul 28, 2018, 2:04 PM [ in reply to It's not a 30-year tradition ]

student section - they would tie them end to end until it was a huge single line of balloons going up to above the upper deck - at least that’s what it looked like to this little kid.

Was always fun to see.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Jul 28, 2018, 10:51 PM [ in reply to It's not a 30-year tradition ]

You're right, balloons have been released more than 30-35 years. The balloon launch at the 1983 Maryland game was significant for the number of balloons released, and symbolized that we were "Rising Above" probation. We are clearly above and beyond all that 35 years later. The balloons were cool, but we don't need them to prove anything to the rest of the world these days.

Seems like a good challenge for an Engineering class....

Jul 27, 2018, 11:51 PM

to come up with an environmentally friendly replacement.....and if successful could be quite profitable....

Jul 28, 2018, 12:01 AM

Who got offended...

Jul 28, 2018, 12:06 AM

Are these the same that changed the hill ticket issue and security around it? I’m bringing balloons to hand out at the games...watch me!

Jul 28, 2018, 12:20 AM

This is so messed up! Ever ask the fans how they feel? We are the ones paying for the entertainment . I'm boycotting n bringing my own balloon

BYOB: Bring Your Own Balloon!

Jul 28, 2018, 12:29 AM

;)

Jul 28, 2018, 12:20 AM

This is so messed up! Ever ask the fans how they feel? We are the ones paying for the entertainment . I'm boycotting n bringing my own balloon

Jul 28, 2018, 1:17 AM

If I had a dime for every sea turtle I seen walking around with an orange balloon.

### this liberal stance the university continues to take makes it harder and harder to support. And yes, I can assure u it was some wacko liberal who whined about it. I'm burning an old tire in the morning to protest

The sea turtles??

Jul 28, 2018, 1:36 AM

Exactly how many balloons were making it all the way to the coast...one per season?

Re: The sea turtles??

Jul 28, 2018, 1:56 AM

Simply amazing at the number of "new" posters in this thread. The left strikes again, and no, I don't support the decision. In the end, it doesn't matter what I think, but I think it stinks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The sea turtles??

Jul 28, 2018, 9:46 AM [ in reply to The sea turtles?? ]

Excellent question!

I was there

Jul 28, 2018, 6:54 AM

I am old and there were a lot of ballons

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Messing with the karma

Jul 28, 2018, 7:00 AM

Many years ago, Chief Noc-a-Homa had a teepee in the left field stands at Old Atlanta Fulton County. Suddenly, the Braves started winning and management decided to tear down the teepee and sell the seats. Bad move. The Braves went into a losing streak of massive proportions. So bad the fans demanded the teepee be replaced. I hope ending the balloon launch doesn’t bring the Tigers bad karma. Yet another tradition destroyed by tree huggers.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Messing with the karma

Many years ago, Chief Noc-a-Homa had a teepee in the left field stands at Old Atlanta Fulton County. Suddenly, the Braves started winning and management decided to tear down the teepee and sell the seats. Bad move. The Braves went into a losing streak of massive proportions. So bad the fans demanded the teepee be replaced. I hope ending the balloon launch doesn’t bring the Tigers bad karma. Yet another tradition destroyed by tree huggers.

Messing with the karma

Re: Messing with the karma

Jul 28, 2018, 7:33 AM

Seriously though. Orange doves would be way cooler. How do we make this happen.

Re: So whats next---no more straws ??

Jul 28, 2018, 8:08 AM

Booooooooooooooooo!!

Screw Calford.

Re: So whats next---no more straws ??

Jul 28, 2018, 8:38 AM

Who needs a straw, just chug your drink. I don’t give a chit about the balloons. Let’s play ball. What a non issue.

What a great precedent!

Jul 28, 2018, 8:42 AM

The start of elimination if all balloons. Now, let's get to convincing very small children, that this is a good thing.

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Jul 28, 2018, 8:44 AM

If this is about being eco friendly. Give me a #### break. These left wing snowflakes are pathetic. We need to start cutting down every oak tree then! Oak leaves take 4 years!

Jul 30, 2018, 11:45 AM

Good bit of irony in calling other people "snowflakes" when you're upset over having balloons taken away.

Jul 28, 2018, 9:46 AM

Anyone consider the fact that this could have been a money decision and that the university simply didn't wish to pay for it anymore? (I'm sure helium and biodegradable balloons cost a good amount of money for the scale we are launching them at)

If that's true, that's not necessarily something they would admit if there's an alternative excuse like the environmental reasons.

Jul 28, 2018, 9:53 AM

While I don’t disagree with ending the balloon release I find the statement about loggerheads implausible. This sounds like so many other statements from the greens based purely on theory and conjecture. Has there actually been a case of a balloon released from Death Valley causing harm to a loggerhead turtle anywhere, or to any other living creature for that matter? Idk how far they go but I released a milar balloon in Greer one time with a note attached for the finder to call me with the location. It made it all the way to Woodruff

I would submit that the CO2 released from the fire extinguishers at Willy Brice are of more harm to the environment than the helium balloons we turn loose. Helium after all is not a greenhouse gas

So if you wanna make an environmental impact argument about the balloon release, show me the data

Jul 28, 2018, 11:53 PM

You are funny... but I am with you ...

Hate this!

Jul 28, 2018, 10:04 AM

The article said the Board of Trustees were not involved in this decision. I hope the get involved. They told D-Rad to "fill the hill," hopefully they will say keep the balloons. We are in danger of the "most exciting 25 seconds" becoming only a memory.

Also, I was one of the 3000 students in 1983. I tied balloons unit my fingers bleed, then I put tape on them and tied some more.

Go Tigers!

I bet the students who wanted this

Jul 28, 2018, 10:35 AM

are the same ones that don't show up on the hill for most of the games.

Next thing you know, the P.C. police will be demanding that

Jul 28, 2018, 1:22 PM

we stop rubbing Howard's rock on gameday because we haven't asked it for its permission to be touched.

It's pronounced "L Heff A" and it means "The Boss".

Jul 28, 2018, 1:49 PM

For those of you bashing “ecos”, “greens”, and “treehuggers” for this decision, your fake outrage is misplaced. The person conducting the research in the twitter posts in the article works for the Council to Advance Hunting and Shooting Sports. He lobbies congress on hunter issues and is an avid hunter himself. Also, hunters are conservationists by definition and all outdoorsmen (and humans that rely on clean air and water to live a healthy life) should be environmentalists.

Shhhh.... Actual facts might be too much for them.***

Jul 28, 2018, 2:10 PM

Jul 28, 2018, 5:03 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: No More Balloons: Clemson ends 30-year tradition of balloon launch ]

Wildlifer you sound like a nice young man passionate about the outdoors but also very naive if you think that being a hunter and/or fisherman defines one as a conservationist or an environmentalist. Poachers, game hogs and defilers of woods and waterways abound in our ranks.

I am all of the above but also a critical thinker which is something I find sorely lacking in most issues these days and particularly the green movement

I’m outraged about nothing in this issue regarding orange balloons, merely skeptical as to the reasons for suspending a 35 yo tradition. I too suspect that it has something with the cost. But I also think it will detract from the overal excitement of those 25 seconds. Hopefully they can come up with something else as a suitable and just as garish and spectacular. Orange/purple fire extinguisher CO2 gas perhaps?

Jul 28, 2018, 2:02 PM

Turn the balloons into a charity for the environment. Problem solved. Raising money for the environment offsets the release of the balloons.

Jul 28, 2018, 2:14 PM

JDude43 said:

Turn the balloons into a charity for the environment. Problem solved. Raising money for the environment offsets the release of the balloons.

So you would rather have a net zero than a net positive? Hmmm...

Jul 28, 2018, 3:02 PM

Have some of the folks in ECE and CS program up swarms of orange micro drones. You get a better effect in the stadium. They don't pollute. They are reusable. You involve the STEMs more in the game. Win-win-win-win. Problem solved. (ECE, Class of '83)

Probably Germans, but

Jul 28, 2018, 3:26 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDjuRuNxjoU&t=39s

Jul 28, 2018, 3:42 PM

Love the tradition and remremember the record day that started it very well! However the right decision was made and honestly with all the problems with HE, solid waste pollution, carbon footprint to name a few, it probably should have been done 10 years ago. Kudo's Tigers for making the difficult but right decision!

Jul 28, 2018, 3:42 PM

Love the tradition and remremember the record day that started it very well! However the right decision was made and honestly with all the problems with HE, solid waste pollution, carbon footprint to name a few, it probably should have been done 10 years ago. Kudo's Tigers for making the difficult but right decision!

Jul 28, 2018, 3:50 PM

All of these save the earth fruit cakes kill me. A lot worse going on with the environment than 6 games of balloons at Clemson games.

Jul 28, 2018, 3:58 PM

We are working on those problems too. This one seems like an easy and inexpensive fix. So what’s the problem?

Jul 29, 2018, 9:35 AM

The problem is it triggers the snowflake conservatives who care more about their precious traditions than preserving the only planet we have to live on. Of all the things that qualify as first world problems, I think cancelling a balloon release at a college football game comes pretty close to the top.

Jul 30, 2018, 10:33 PM

Balloons are killing our planet--seriously?? You have no clue about how much latex circulates--nitrile more so now in gloves. You think latex is slow to breakdown-you should see this stuff but I bet you'd want your MD's and nurses wearing the gloves if you were in the hospital so you won't get MERSA and have your Tallywacker fall off- even though they are more of an ecological problem than some balloons. Strain a gnat-swallow a camel.

Jul 28, 2018, 3:56 PM

Jul 28, 2018, 3:56 PM

Jul 28, 2018, 4:43 PM

It is littering, it lands on someone else's property, and someone other than us has to pick it up.

Jul 30, 2018, 10:27 PM

They should move!

Well...there were no balloons when the 1981 championship

Jul 28, 2018, 7:27 PM

was won. Hopefully this will have no effect.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jul 28, 2018, 7:39 PM

Nothing more than political stupidity. No facts, just some misguided idiot who kept squaking enough until CU leadership acquiesced. I blame the powers that be at Clemson for ceasing a wonderful tradition based on nothing.
Here"s an idea,... why don't we bulldoze rhe hill, because people are squishing earthworms and that's not good for the environment. (The sad truth is this is actually a more credible thing than sea furtles eating baloons).

maybe just get rid of this ‘environment’

Jul 28, 2018, 9:43 PM

Causes nothing but headaches.

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

That started after we got screwed by the NCAA ..

Jul 30, 2018, 10:25 PM

and an unnamed person who was from north of Clemson--kinda around Raleigh--sorry Monte Kiffin!!%$*@%^#*%$(%^($ I couldn't help myself.Yeah we were in the wrong but sleazy Kiffin blew the whistle-as if he was one to talk.
We couldn't be on TV and we couldn't go to bowl games in 82 and 83 and were knocked down to 20 scholarships for 82 and 83 seasons. The balloon launch was the beginning of the "Rising Above" theme for 82-83.
It's going to take something away from running down the hill. Not the tradition but definitely the pageantry. You won't realize how much you'll miss them until they're gone. I hope this was not some Sierra club BS (whose board members drive Caddys and Jags and Hummers-back in their day, etc)

Besides I thought we were using biodegradable balloons? which I know they take like 4 years but geezzz!!

Replies: 133
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic