Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance to be discussed at Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance to be discussed at Clemson

Jun 23, 2020, 8:39 AM

Mandatory mask ordinance to be discussed at Clemson

COVID-19 has increased significantly in the city of Clemson. In the last week alone, the State of South Carolina has seen more than 6,000 new infections of COVI Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance to be discussed at Clemson

Jun 23, 2020, 9:22 AM

The testing more people will increase the numbers. The figure that matters most is the people in the hospital. These young kids will not be fazed for the most part.

Didn’t Fauci say the masks don’t do any good to stop the spread?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

yes. he did. back in March. but for the last 2 months or mor

Jun 23, 2020, 9:32 AM

the consensus has been that wearing a mask will prevent an infected person (a-, pre-, or symptomatic) from spreading the virus...thus slowing the spread.

I get it, Fauci, other leaders mislead people in the beginning. that was because folks were buying up TP like it was going out of style and they didn't want the same to happen to N95s, surgical masks. They did the wrong thing for the right reasons, at the time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Re: yes. he did. back in March. but for the last 2 months or mor

Jun 23, 2020, 10:47 AM

I don't think Fauci et al mislead anyone intentionally. The virus is relatively new (in the grand sense of how long some contagions have been around). They simply didn't know some things.

The remark about long term effects of virus is spot-on. Example: a friend of ours in his early 50s got the virus. Was in hospital for 2-3 weeks in early April. This past weekend the family celebrated his last oxygen tank being picked up from their house. 2 whole months of breathing treatments. There's no way to put numbers on that type thing but its still a significant factor. The mask wearing & social distancing was intended (and still is) to flatten the curve to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed and give pharma some time to come up with treatments. Not just a vaccine but some meds/treatments to help improve survivability of this thing. It sounds like some things are coming that sound promising. But like they said - you want to watch football this fall? Better get used to wearing a mask.

I'm sure you all have seen the photo from Georgia Tech in 1918 flu pandemic (attached). Its not forever but sometimes we all just have to bite the bullet and do things for the greater good. As one person on SM put it "My granddad was in a foxhole in WWI for 6 mths. All you people have to do is sit on your couch and wear a mask and you can't even do that!"

Jun 23, 2020, 2:26 PM

People aren't facing the fact that everyone will get this virus. There will be no vaccine for it, at least not one that will be effective for all strains. I know probably 20 to 30 people that have contracted it and not a single one of them has displayed any symptoms worse than the flu or common cold. I choose to not wear masks simply because no matter what I wear they fog my glasses. And most of my time is spent at home on my farm, with my wife or golf buddies that I know don't have it anyway. And if they do, so be it.

Jun 23, 2020, 4:23 PM

Then why were the hospitals packed full of people very sick or dying, and running out of space to store the dead until they could be cremated or buried. Vehicle makers changing over to build respirators to help to keep a very high number of people alive, over building vehicles to drive!!! The glass half empty outlook is the worse thing to do whenever one person dies, and you would look at it differently I hope if its was a close family member/members of yours that was doing the dying....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 24, 2020, 8:02 PM [ in reply to Re: yes. he did. back in March. but for the last 2 months or mor ]

this isn't the flu. it isn't mutating every year like the flu does. yes, if there's a vaccine for it, it will be effective.

Jun 24, 2020, 9:10 PM

Germany has a vaccine right that they are about to start testing on humans. If only 70-75% effective, the world can open back up full speed ahead until they, Germany tweeks theirs to be 95-100% effective, or somebody else develops a vaccine that is 95-100% effective. One thing that I'm sure of, with covid 19 being as contagious and deadly that it is, a vaccine will be developed, and it won't be years down the road before that happens!!! High risk folks will be the first to get it until enough can be made for everybody to get inoculated with the COVID-19 vaccine. Lord I pray that a effective vaccine will be developed sooner than later, bc every minute we go without a working vaccine, the greater the chances are that we could lose our life, or have a very close loved one lose their life, and that would be the saddest minutes, weeks, months, and years of our lives!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2020, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Re: yes. he did. back in March. but for the last 2 months or mor ]

When you don't know exactly how harmful a disease is, wouldn't it be best to do everything possible to protect against it, than to say we'll be OK in a few weeks/months!!! And if it turns out we don't need all the protection, then we could change from what we were doing in terms of over protecting ourselves. Most of us was told during our lifetime that it was always better to be safe than sorry, like being dead dead dead!!!!

Jun 23, 2020, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance to be discussed at Clemson ]

Just because young people aren’t dying doesn’t mean they will not be significantly affected. There is still a risk of permanent lung damage.

And masks are highly effective for a number of reasons:
1) Reduce transmission by a person who is infected and contagious and doesn’t know it
2) Reduces face touching so reduces receipt of infection (especially if you just stop fiddling with it and don’t store it under your nose)
3) Filtration by adsorption is still effective enough to reduce risk- even when the fabric pore size is larger than the virus
4) Visual social cues improve other beneficial behaviors (distancing and cleaning)

That fourth one sounds trivial but it is immensely important and effective

Jun 23, 2020, 2:57 PM

The coronavirus will not have the variability that we see with Influenza. My wife is a PhD in Immunology with a Post-Doc in Virology and taught and did research for many years at a medical school. She says that once a vaccine is developed, it will likely be effective year after year. The real question is how long will the immunity will last.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2020, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance to be discussed at Clemson ]

Dr Fauci and SC epidemiologist and every other health official is clear that wearing masks slows the spread of the virus. Even Governor McMaster urges everyone to wear masks in public when social distancing cannot be maintained.

If you want to watch a football game in person this fall get used to wearing a mask.

Wearing a mask does not protect me, only N95 masks protect the wearer, the mask is to prevent me from spreading the virus, and no one knows they are not infected. If you were tested yesterday and were negative, you may still be positive today. Many never have symptoms but may spread the virus.

I wash my hands and use hand sanitizer to protect me, my household and those who may visit me. I wear masks to protect those whom I come in contact with, or close proximity or the places I visit.

Fauci lied.

Jun 23, 2020, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance to be discussed at Clemson ]

And he even explained exactly why he lied. My own doctor told me many years ago masks help, and the CDC was lying. That was during the 2009 Swine flu epidemic. I totally busted my doctor when he came in the room wearing a mask. I asked him why he was wearing a mask. He said because I was very sick, and it was for his protection. I then told him the CDC "says" it only is effective in preventing sick people from spreading it. So why wasn't I wearing one and he not wearing one?

Same thing with covid patients. They should all be wearing masks, yet they aren't. But the doctors and nurses are.

They lied so people wouldn't hoard them like toilet paper, so the doctors and nurses could have them available to treat sick people. It's a long-standing lie in the medical field designed to make sure medical personnel have ample PPE. Fauci admitted exactly that too, but I knew long before Fauci ever fessed up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fauci lied.

Jun 23, 2020, 12:33 PM

To be protected, we would need masks, face shields or goggles, gloves and PPE and training how to remove the ppe.

Wearing the N95 masks do protect the wearer... but we did not have enough for every person.

I wear a simple bandanna folded a few times. If I wear glasses and do not touch my face it gives me a little protection. However it does great limiting my contamination of an area as long as I am just breathing, not coughing not sneezing not singing not cheering.

Greenville just passed a mask ordinance and Columbia will likely pass one this afternoon. I expect masks will be required to attend any athletic event this fall, with temperature checks at the gates.

If we do not start wearing masks now and limiting physical contact now and we do not begin lowering the curve, I expect visitors will not be allowed on campus for games, the fans in the stands may be limited to student body, faculty and family of the players and masks will still be required.

I do not think Fauci was lying, just wearing a mask does not protect you if you do not practice good hand hygiene and wear glasses and do not touch your face.

Fauci said he lied.

Jun 23, 2020, 2:03 PM

And explained exactly why.

https://www.thestreet.com/video/dr-fauci-masks-changing-directive-coronavirus

Masks help. If people wearing them means SC gets 400 new cases a day or 800 new cases a day, that helps. N95 masks are not 100% protective either. They filter out roughly 85% of covid particles. Surgical masks are around 50%. Cloth masks, around 25%. That roughly equates to that level of reduction in cases. So 25% less cases, or 50% less cases is better than 100%. This is for INHALATION. The masks help a lot more on exhalation. Up to 90% for a surgical mask, and 50% for cloth. So you have a reduction in virus particles exhaled by wearing them of 50% for a cloth mask, and if everyone is wearing them, you have another 20% protection from inhaling them. You combine the protection if everyone wears them. That's why it's key that everyone wears them.

These studies exist in Germany and China, and other countries. But in the only country that's ever put a man on the moon, we've never done a study on masks. Wonder why? Because we don't have enough masks. They're not profitable. And the cheap labor countries we farmed their production to are using them themselves.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fauci said he lied.

Jun 24, 2020, 7:16 PM

Personally, I wear those multi layer cloth mask, they must be working bc I had the covid-19 test last week and it was negative, and I do all the shopping for my wife and I bc my wife has had pneumonia and double pneumonia, and IMO, her chances of surviving covid-19 would be less than my own. I have been around a lot more people than I'm comfortable with, but in times like this you have to do what you got to do. Some may say that I do more than is necessary to stay safe, but I feel that I have to bc my wife's life is in my hands also, so I make sure that I'm safe for her sake as well as my own bc if she gets it, it would have been bc I brought it back home, so I'm extra extra careful with disinfecting myself before I come into our home, and I don't allow friends or family to visit, and most understand and they are OK with that!!!

Re: Fauci lied.

Jun 24, 2020, 8:04 PM [ in reply to Fauci lied. ]

the doctors are wearing n95 masks, which are indeed useful in not picking up contagious diseases. But thanks for your completely believable anecdote.

Jun 23, 2020, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance to be discussed at Clemson ]

I have been preaching this for a few weeks HOWEVER, the percent positives are climbing across the state. they were pretty stagnant locally, but this week percent positive tests jumped from 5% to 21%. While most of these are in the under 30 crowd, and generally they are not at high risk, there are many retirement aged tax-paying RESIDENTs of this town that are. Generally both groups keep to themselves, but do intersect a few places, like grocery stores, gyms, church, etc. Basically, the city will require masks in public spaces.

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Jun 23, 2020, 9:41 AM

I'm happy to say that the covid-19 screening that I took last Thursday was Negative!!! That tells me that I have been doing things right by wearing a mask and gloves before entering any place of business, and use that germ X the very second I leave an establishment before getting back into my vehicle. I only have this one life to live, and I'm not about to risk mine or my wife's life by being careless in times like now with covid-19 virus wreaking havoc in the world we're living in today.

I've always been a believer in better to be safe than sorry when facing danger bc, once my life has been taken by doing stupid crap like going out unprotected, I want get my life back by saying I wish I would had been safer when I'm taking my last breaths, bc it just don't work that way. I do hope that none of you will ever have to say, I wish I would have taken these warnings more serious before you have caused the death of a loved one or yourself. God Bless everyone of you, and go Tigers!!!

Jun 23, 2020, 10:44 AM

It does not take a Rhodes Scholar to figure that one out.

Jun 23, 2020, 11:45 AM

This morning's paper has an article about bars near UCF in Orlando and it states "People are very close. People are not wearing masks. People are drinking, shouting, dancing, sweating, kissing and hugging". Sounds exactly like a Clemson football game to me and that is why my wife and I will not be going to games.

I live in Virginia and we have mandatory masks and ...

Jun 23, 2020, 12:06 PM

it seems to work. Granted, everybody hates it but Virginia went from having a very high to very low infection rate. Now, the Gov'nor is not well loved including by THIS TigerNet Journalist but he is a Medical Doctor by Profession and he insisted on the mask thing and the bottom line is, results speak for themselves.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I live in Virginia and we have mandatory masks and ...

Jun 23, 2020, 12:53 PM

I respect your state tremendously. My wife and I are considering retirement there.

Ironically my wife and I and taking a hard looking at ....

Jun 23, 2020, 3:25 PM

SC Upstate and E. Tennessee. Virginia is fine as long as your don't live in Northern Virginia (uber expensive and uber liberal) ... terrible traffic, ranked number 1 worse traffic in the Country by some polls.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2020, 12:43 PM

Maybe we can incorporate masks into being part of the football uniform when playing in game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2020, 12:51 PM

I just got back from visiting my sister in Virginia. It is amazing how much more cautious they are compared to most of us in Texas. I'm pretty disgusted with how so many folks down here are cavalier about masks. The ignorance is real. When the numbers didn't immediately jump after we opened up May 4, I had a feeling complacency would set in.

IMO, masks should be mandatory on college campuses. This is a no-brainer. For campuses to open up but have to send everyone home after a few weeks would be a flaming disaster. Every attempt must be made to avoid that scenario.

Jun 23, 2020, 1:50 PM

Agree - masks should not even be a discussion. They should simply be worn - nothing to discuss, wear them if you want to protect the people you come into contact with. They are for you - they are to protect the people you breath and spit on. I'm sure that is already part of the requirement for students coming back for the classes that are hoped will be in-person in the fall. It should be a community requirement as well.
By the way, Fauci didn't lie about anything - the knowledge has simply improved. For example, early on we thought the biggest danger was surfaces and we now know that is not the case - its people breathing, thus the masks. We also used the think young people were well protected with no ill effects (students called it the "Boomer Remover" in March). We now know even very young children can have dangerous and completely different symptom than us old timers. We used to think you could not get it twice - now that is very much in doubt.......This is a new version of a very old virus that has been studied for decades - things are constantly changing so we have to adjust to them.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2020, 2:18 PM

If that's what'll takes.. I'm in..

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2020, 4:03 PM

I'm all in with the mandatory mask wearing, but I've been doing it with Diabetes, high BP, and 67 years old. When I think about I could possibly have another 10-12 years of life without covid-19, the decision was easy about wearing a mask and gloves whenever I go, it's better than what the alternative could be without the added protection!!! And the mask are made mandatory, that to is added protection for me and everyone else. IMO, it's a win win for us all!!!

Jun 23, 2020, 2:45 PM

Good. About time.

Jun 23, 2020, 2:50 PM

Regardless of whether you think Dr. Fauci lied or not, I am thankful for him. I think he speaks what he believes is factual, whether or not it agrees with what Trump says - such as regarding testing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Greenville is requiring mandatory wearing of masks

Jun 23, 2020, 4:21 PM

in some places.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Greenville is requiring mandatory wearing of masks

Jun 24, 2020, 7:43 PM

Personally, I hope and pray that mandatory face mask become a country wide law until there is a vaccine or covid-19 plays itself out. And if it do become country wide, I hope that fine for not wearing one around other outside of your home isn't a slap on the wrist, make it to where you won't forget what it will cost being caught without a mask around other people and risking their lives!!! No parking meter type fines, more like a wreckless driving type fine!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic