Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Lawrence, Rencher unite with Power 5 players to push for playing season, players union
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

TNET: Lawrence, Rencher unite with Power 5 players to push for playing season, players union

Aug 10, 2020, 12:35 AM

Lawrence, Rencher unite with Power 5 players to push for playing season, players union

Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence kicked off the next phase in push to save the 2020 fall college football season by uniting with players across the country i Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Players unionizing, that should scare the Presidents more

Aug 10, 2020, 1:26 AM

than covid, they will lose money and leverage

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THIS is leadership... These commissioners should take notes.***

Aug 10, 2020, 2:46 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All they care about is keeping their jobs***

Aug 10, 2020, 2:59 AM

Presidents and ADs too***

Aug 10, 2020, 2:59 AM

Liability waiver!!!

Aug 10, 2020, 5:18 AM

The players must insist that the current NCAA liability waiver prohibition be removed and be willing to sign one. Otherwise, the universities simply cannot take the legal risk of allowing them to play.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL.. this is just a way for the "Power 5" to

Aug 10, 2020, 6:37 AM

drive all of the smaller conferences and schools out of the athletic business. If they are successful in shutting down football in the fall, they are looking at about 60 schools and universities controling all of college athletics, every sport, for the next 20 to 30 years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

RIP college football as we have known it.

Aug 10, 2020, 6:52 AM

And that’s not all bad. But once it gets started again it will not be the same.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: RIP college football as we have known it.

Aug 10, 2020, 8:24 AM

ATL,

Maybe it can actually be made better.

I think it will become more balanced. Less money at the top.

Aug 10, 2020, 8:49 AM

Which may be a good thing overall, but it may hurt Clemson.

It will become more explicitly like the minor league of the NFL, which is at least not as hypocritical.

Eventually I think we will see the 3-year rule go away. There will be "one and doners" just like in basketball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Time to recruit some strikebreakers***

Aug 10, 2020, 7:38 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

lol...replacement players

Aug 10, 2020, 9:43 AM

1 stars and walk-ons get their chance to play D-1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: lol...replacement players

Aug 10, 2020, 12:46 PM

We get Renfrow back for a year, right?

If they are willing.... hard to go against your union

Aug 10, 2020, 1:02 PM [ in reply to lol...replacement players ]

Jimmy Breaklegs will show up at your kids school.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

It's been fun, but it's over...***

Aug 10, 2020, 7:58 AM

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: TNET: Lawrence, Rencher unite with Power 5 players to push for playing season, players union

Aug 10, 2020, 8:23 AM

This is rational, reasonable leadership. And if the fans will support ONE year of football without fans in the stands, we might be able to save college football going forward.

When players show responsibility in using their power to influence the game for the better, it is then time to give them a little more power to continue to do so.

Re: TNET: Lawrence, Rencher unite with Power 5 players to push for playing season, players union

Aug 10, 2020, 8:39 AM

We have a winner! There is nothing in there that gives the players any real power that they don"t already have/will have when they return after not playing this fall.

Aug 10, 2020, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Lawrence, Rencher unite with Power 5 players to push for playing season, players union ]

It all depends on how it's handled. If they negotiate with hostage like threats like other sports unions, then no. The reason I like college football and can't stand the NFL and the NBA is because those leagues are about the individual. How much money, how much power each person can amass, who has the fanciest car - no tradition, no loyalty. They will play for the highest bidder. But college football is about more than the individual. It's about the team, the tradition and the experience. This is why college football is unique and so enjoyable for millions of fans.

if we had a union, we'd have football

Aug 10, 2020, 9:29 AM

you guys hyperventilating about unions are like little children who think momma's going to take away their xbox for the night.

If player's currently had a union, the liability issues related to the question of whether to play or not would be removed from the conferences and put on the union.

As Trevor said, there is a way forward.

It's called a negotiation people, geez.

Aug 10, 2020, 12:26 PM

Reminds me of when Danny was fired...There was a meeting of the players who demanded..." WE want Coach FORD BACK...AND WE WANT IT NOW!!!!!!" You see how THAT worked"....

I have 2 family members working in football operations

Aug 10, 2020, 12:34 PM

of 2 top tier universities. Both say the same thing...the players have gotten a hint that football may be cancelled so now the players are saying "we want to play". Initially the players thought that their willingness to not play would put pressure on the schools to give in to demands, however, the conferences have decided to potentially cancel the season on their own. This not only makes those demands less of a negotiating tool for the players, but also puts the players into the position of asking for the season to not be cancelled. Now the players really have no negotiating power beyond what the schools will allow them to have. You can see this in the players "softened" stance.

The bigger problem according to them is that only a handful of players in the entire country have any kind of leverage with regard to whether they play or not. 95% of players (their number, not mine) need to play and want to play to earn their way through school. If those top players opted not to play for any number of reasons they would be hard pressed to convince the multitude of other players to sit out, thus college football would still go on minus some of the top talent....but it would still go on.

In the case of a player's association or union, where the "members" were bound to follow the decisions by the few top players, then college football would never be the same. If the player's association were indeed just a communication tool for the betterment of the players and schools then that could be a good thing.

Sorry for the long read if you made it this far.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there's nothing wrong with being organized

Aug 10, 2020, 12:42 PM

it is a healthy thing, if for no other reason than to share information.

Knowledge is power.

True***

Aug 10, 2020, 12:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have 2 family members working in football operations

Aug 10, 2020, 12:44 PM [ in reply to I have 2 family members working in football operations ]

Being union for 40 years, there are leaders and followers...Followers are not less intelligent or more lazy than the leaders...Just different. Many of us were just Thinkers.. Just a thought...

Re: I have 2 family members working in football operations

Aug 10, 2020, 1:07 PM

You are correct.

Being in the football operations dept at those universities, their point is that these players are only in the program (and only have this opportunity) for 3 to 4 years as opposed to building a career at a unionized corporation etc.

They were simply saying that the vast majority of the more unheralded players cannot afford to lose out on scholarships by sitting out, which is what could happen in the future. The schools at some point will not allow players to hold them hostage in negotiations...the schools would (and should) be able to use scholarship money in negotiations if the players use opting out or sitting out as a negotiating tool.

I don't have a dog in the fight...if college football is played then I will watch it. If it's not played then it doesn't affect my life other than giving me more time to do something else.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic