Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #56 'Secretly taking the canon to Williams Brice'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,475

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #56 'Secretly taking the canon to Williams Brice'

May 27, 2020, 8:21 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #56 'Secretly taking the canon to Williams Brice'

TigerNet will be posting several historic Clemson photos during this difficult time with no Clemson sports. Clemson alum Chip Smith recently sent us an interest Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ain't no big deal............

May 27, 2020, 9:08 AM

Re: I was at the 1975 game at Bama

May 27, 2020, 9:34 AM

They stomped us. Bama blocked a punt of ours that almost sailed out of the stadium behind the CU punter. YOu can not believe what a dump Brant Denny was in those days and it was much smaller. They probably hadnt put Bear's name on it then. And Chip is right big games were in Birmingham at Legion Field

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was at the 1975 game at Bama- I should add

May 27, 2020, 9:41 AM

we were newly weds then and stayed with some of the wife's relatives in Tuscaloosa. Went to the game w her cousins. It was a very long weekend. Tide qb was Richard Todd. I think he is a distant cousin of Steve Fuller. BTW I dont get razzed about football down there anymore

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at that game too. What a nightmare.

May 27, 2020, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Re: I was at the 1975 game at Bama ]

Glad things have changed...A LOT!

Re: I was at the 1975 game at Bama

May 27, 2020, 10:45 PM [ in reply to Re: I was at the 1975 game at Bama ]

Alabama game was bad, and we lost in Athens to Georgia 35-7. But it was terrible to lose back to back games In Death Valley, NC State 45-7 and Florida State 43-7. Then we lost to the coots in Columbia 56-20 to finish 2-9. At least all three SEC games were on the road in ‘75. Loading the cannon with buckshot would not help. We had some great young players on that team, that went 11-1 in 1978. Then won the National Championship 6 years later!

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #56 'Secretly taking the canon to Williams Brice'

May 27, 2020, 10:47 AM

One of the Clemson assistant coaches came up to us pre-game, winked, and said, “I think we got this.” Uhhhhh, no. Our leading “tackler” that night was the safety, Peanut Martin. Seemed like every touchdown was scored in the end zone where the Clemson fans were sitting.

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #56 'Secretly taking the canon to Williams Brice'

May 27, 2020, 12:47 PM

What a great story! Thanks for sharing it. It's just another example of Tiger loyalty and tradition.

May 27, 2020, 6:12 PM

Ive got a cannon exactly like that one. They are made by Winchester Repeating Arms Company and shoot a 10 Gauge shotgun shell. I keep threatening to shot min every July 4th but forget all about it when the time comes. I guess it would help if I would order some blank shells!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Question

May 27, 2020, 6:21 PM

Anybody know the history behind the Clemson canon? Are we still using the same one now that we used in 1973? When did we first fire the canon at a game? ...and why the heck don't we also fire it after every score inside Littlejohn?

Re: Question

May 27, 2020, 9:19 PM

Re: Question- I think its the original one

May 28, 2020, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Question ]

George Bennett attached to a hand truck in the mid 1950's because it got mentioned here a few years ago but I'm no expert.

May 27, 2020, 8:08 PM

I attended as well along with a large group of my Tiger friends. We camped in a nearby state park and had quite a week end! We were in the end zone and Coach Bryant came out pregame to watch the warm ups. We got his attention and he came over and spoke with our gang. After the game as we were walking out, we met Gov George Wallace. We had a very interesting and long conversation with him. The only bright spot for Clemson fans was the play of Steve Fuller as a back up quarterback.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2020, 10:52 PM

Great memories!
74TIGER - Glad you get to get to hold your head high in Tide country now!
BengalBilly- I'm with you!
BlueRidgeYawner - Proud to be a Tiger!
TigerLinks - 10 guage is right! I'm counting on you to fire that thing this July 4th!
tigerofaiken - Littlejohn would be epic! I fired it a couple of times out the window of my dorm room in Norris Hall. Deafening!
72-tig® - I hear you! We got to meet Bear Bryant too, but the highlight for me was meeting Sela Ward who was a cheerleader for 'Bama then. Seriously hot!

May 27, 2020, 11:00 PM

Speaking of the Alabama game, you failed to mention that the week before they got beat by Miss. Jim Phillips called Bear midweek and he said"they look alright before breakfast, after breakfast they look a little better, before lunch not too good, after lunch a little better, before supper fair, after supper better but before bed they look a lot better"!!!!! Thus the 56-0.

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,475
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic