Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #55 'Clemson's wreck'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 2,317

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #55 'Clemson's wreck'

May 26, 2020, 9:32 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #55 'Clemson's wreck'

TigerNet will be posting several historic Clemson photos during this difficult time with no Clemson sports. Clemson alum Chip Smith recently sent us an interest Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a Pepsi Bottle from that year of 1974

May 26, 2020, 9:36 AM

It states " undefeated home season"

We should have won the Tennessee game***

May 26, 2020, 10:25 AM

Re: We should have won the Tennessee game***

May 26, 2020, 10:55 AM

You got that right! Condredge Holloway was a magician! I remember Clemson's Don Testerman running past me down the sidelines for his touchdown. He wore glasses and his eyes were as big a saucers when he went by! Neyland Stadium was the loudest I had ever been in. My eardrums literally vibrated at field level. Great atmosphere! Heartbreaking loss.

Re: I have a Pepsi Bottle from that year of 1974

May 26, 2020, 11:10 AM [ in reply to I have a Pepsi Bottle from that year of 1974 ]

Glad you still have one. I can't find mine. After the dismal Hootie Ingram years we thought we had found our man in Red Parker. Then the wheels came off bus in '75 (2-9) and Red never regained the magic.

Mic Man, do you want one? i have several, i'll mail you one

May 27, 2020, 9:06 AM

Mic Man 75PM me your address.

cheers

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: I have a Pepsi Bottle from that year of 1974

May 26, 2020, 3:45 PM [ in reply to I have a Pepsi Bottle from that year of 1974 ]

I have one of those as well, I bought it at a store in downtown Clemson in the 80's.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #55 'Clemson's wreck'

May 26, 2020, 10:20 AM

I remember when we used this. I always wondered what happened to it and who owned it. I also remember when we had the Country Gentleman

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 26, 2020, 10:59 AM

Yes, they "retired" the Country Gentleman in the early 1970's. We did not have one in 1973, but two of the guys on our squad had been the Country Gentleman in prior years so maybe 1972 was the last year.

May 26, 2020, 11:24 AM

Male cheerleaders were dressed like they were going golfing back then. Very prepster.

May 26, 2020, 1:00 PM

I don't remember the year but my family and I were on our way to Greenville. In front of us was that old car on a trailer. Someone may have been taking it some place for repairs. Anyway, when they began speeding up, the trailer began swaying. Realizing we were about to witness an accident, I slowed down. Before the driver pulling the trailer could slow down, the trailer and old car flipped over. Fortunately no one was hurt and from the view I had, the old car did not suffer major damages. The "flip over" occurred near the pull out on 123 before getting to the road to Lowes.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 26, 2020, 2:02 PM

Cotton Lake, who ran an Exxon convenience store with his wife in Jamestown, brought the cars up. He had two sons graduate from Clemson They were a set. Each of his sons have one of the cars. If you are wanting to know how long a drive that is, an estimation on a football weekend back then was five hours hauling the vehicle up to Clemson. Mister and Mrs. Lake were salt of the Earth type people. Not bad for living between Francis Marion National Forest and the Santee River.

May 26, 2020, 2:44 PM

Maybe everybody feels this way about their era in school, but to my eyes the girls were just better-looking back then. I know, attractive girls are always attractive girls, but I see photos from my time (74-78) and think that's the way girls ought to look.

May 26, 2020, 2:56 PM

For certain ALL of the girls I cheered with were attractive, but also nice, smart, athletic, and a ton of fun. Just great people!

May 26, 2020, 4:22 PM

In 1969, there were 7,900 students at Clemson and the ratio of male students to female students was 4.9 to 1. Plus freshmen were not allowed cars on campus and classes went 5 and 1/2 days a week. there was included women teachers taking night courses that one rarely saw. For 18 to 19year old students in this situation, all females started to look good.

In 1965 I think the ratio was about 10-1

May 26, 2020, 4:57 PM

with total enrollment about 4400 - but my memory might be a little off after all these years
Loved those Saturday classes on game days ......not !

Message was edited by: clover65®

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is a photo that was published by TNet

May 27, 2020, 4:45 AM

several years ago of one of those cars, as it was leaving Tillman Hall heading to DV on a game day with a crowd following.

The photo showed me in my cheerleading outfit riding on the passenger side footboard. As I recall Mr. Goody Thomas of Rock Hill had donated the old car to the team, and his son, Craig, a close friend, was also a member of the cheerleading squad. There was a paper mache tiger mounted on top.

Not sure if the car shown in today's photo is the same.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our "wreck" actually raced the GT Ramblin' Wreck on the

May 28, 2020, 7:55 AM

field at Death Valley during either pregame or halftime in '74. I think it must have been halftime, because for some unbeknownst reason, my memory is a little foggy on the details. I do believe they staged the race to be a virtual tie. Beating both Jawja and GT in the same season in 1974 was certainly cause for celebration for us. It had not been done since 1902. You'd have to ask Joe21 to get details about those!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2020, 4:28 PM

Maybe out of step but.......

I didn't like the GT knockoff then or now. The GT Wreck is the GT equivalent of the hill. I thought our old car was a copy cat move then and it seemed worse then since we were so much in GT's shadow.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 2,317
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic