Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #161 'Buddy Gore'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 3,130

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #161 'Buddy Gore'

Sep 9, 2020, 10:09 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #161 'Buddy Gore'

Long-time TigerNet member Mintaka® submitted many of the historic photos on our website, and we appreciate him being part of the TigerNet family. Mintaka's take Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Buddy was from Conway SC and could cut & gallop.

Sep 9, 2020, 10:15 AM

Saw him at Death Valley (in 1966?) go thru a Gamecock D line gap, then cut over towards sideline a bit to avoid their LB’ers and then galloped straight down the field for TD of about 50 yards to put Clemson back into the lead.

The man was a Hoss and a good-looker too (what she said!).

Think he had an insurance agency there for years.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Buddy was from Conway SC and could cut & gallop.

Sep 9, 2020, 11:44 AM

Back in 1969 , I was in Columbia on a job , walking down Assembly St . toward
W. Cola and in passing the Ben Arnold office They had a giant picture of him on the wall. Don't know if he worked there or they were just fans . Have fond memories of his exploits .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Buddy was from Conway SC and could cut & gallop.

Sep 9, 2020, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Buddy was from Conway SC and could cut & gallop. ]

Buddy came by to see me a few months ago. He still works in insurance and investments here in Myrtle Beach.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #161 'Buddy Gore'

Sep 9, 2020, 10:27 AM

Great memories from those days. Remember Coach Howard on the tv show saying in his famous twang things like Buddy Gore up the midel for fore. Back in the days when men were men and sheep were afraid.

Clemson v Dirt Peckers

Sep 9, 2020, 11:08 AM

I went to the 1967 Clemson-Dirt Peckers game in Cola. For the year, Buddy Gore had rushed for 1,045 yards and didn't disappoint fans at the chicken coop. The dirt peckers coach, Paul Dietzel told this players at half time that the needed to stop Gore, because every time he scored Buddy would throw the football up in the stands and Dietzel was worried that there wouldn't be enough football left to finish the game.

Gore v Dirt Peckers

Sep 9, 2020, 11:10 AM
Buddy Gore.jpg(220.4 K)

Re: Clemson v Dirt Peckers

Sep 9, 2020, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Clemson v Dirt Peckers ]

I played against him in high school and the memories are not fond.

Sep 9, 2020, 11:14 AM

He was my favorite player also...Now when coach Howard said his name it was more like Goah...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The “Conway Comet”

Sep 9, 2020, 11:35 AM

Great player!

Sep 9, 2020, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #161 'Buddy Gore' ]

I first met Coach Howard while I was working at Clemson. When he learned I was from Conway, he asked me if I knew that "ol Go Boy". I knew he was referring to Buddy. I don't know if his Alabama accent cut off the "re" at the end of his name or if that was actually what he called him. I prefer the latter because Buddy sure could "go".

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2020, 12:19 PM

Pat Crain a fullback from a few years earlier was my favorite way back then. Loved Buddy Gore and loved hearing Coach Howard when he talked about Ray Yauger.

Sep 9, 2020, 12:19 PM

Pat Crain a fullback from a few years earlier was my favorite way back then. Loved Buddy Gore and loved hearing Coach Howard when he talked about Ray Yauger.

Sep 9, 2020, 1:03 PM

Buddy was my favorite player too growing up. Fast as lightning.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2020, 2:36 PM

I used to play tennis with Buddy years ago a couple of times a week, at least. He did NOT like to lose and on occasion, I did beat him because of my ability to hit a hard serve. Usually, though, he could catch up with whatever I hit over the net.

Sep 9, 2020, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #161 'Buddy Gore' ]

Buddy Gore was great and I enjoyed watching him run and break tackles. I was a Senior in the 1966 football season and it was him that won most of the games. Remember Coach Howard played that four yards and a cloud of dust offense. He didn't throw the football very much. He liked to keep the momentum for Clemson on the ground.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Add me to the list of people for whom Buddy

Sep 10, 2020, 1:09 PM

Was the favorite player. I always wanted to wear # 44 after he wore it.

Sep 10, 2020, 1:16 PM

Number Forty Four - Buddy Gore on the carry

Replies: 17
| visibility 3,130
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic