Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #157 'R.C. Edwards'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #157 'R.C. Edwards'

Sep 5, 2020, 8:22 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #157 'R.C. Edwards'

TigerNet will be posting several historic Clemson photos during this time with little or no sports. Long-time TigerNet member Mintaka® submitted many of the pho Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #157 'R.C. Edwards'

Sep 5, 2020, 8:42 AM

RC and Moonpie. He was my President. Such a wonderful man. Always mingled with students during class breaks. His Frosh ice cream socials were terrific. A true Clemson man.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 5, 2020, 8:54 AM

If we had a hall that needs renaming "the R C and Louise Edwards" hall would be an excellent choice

Just don't make 'em like that any more.

Sep 5, 2020, 9:42 AM

Never talked about "Clemson Family" back then. Didn't have to. 'Cause everybody knew it was.

Sep 5, 2020, 9:39 AM

Got shake his hand at graduation. He used to jog around football practice fields beside Fike when I was a student in the 70's. If ever a Pres was all orange it was him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 5, 2020, 10:29 AM

Dr. Edwards was President when I was a student, and he was certainly one of the most important people in Clemson's history. I doubt that he ever passed a student without speaking, but he was the boss, and there was nothing wishy, washy about him.

The head of the Air Science Dept. my frosh year was a full AF colonel, but for some reason, he had a hate for the Army. He informally organized a boycott by AFROTC cadets of the Military Ball that spring, and Dr. Edwards sent him packing the first thing the following Monday morning. None of us ever saw that colonel again.

RC let us have fun, but we knew not to go too far. One department head told our class, "As a Clemson student, you never want to do anything bad enough to go in front of the 'Old Man.'"

We only had one pay phone on a hall back then. At some time or another, every student found a "Call Bob" note with a phone number on his dorm room door.

A classmate of mine recently told about falling for the prank, and Mrs. Edwards answered the phone. My friend was embarrassed and apologized. Mrs. Edwards told him not to feel bad because she answered at least a half dozen calls from that prank every night. They never changed the phone number or had an unlisted one.

Sep 5, 2020, 7:01 PM

Dr. Bob was a treasure. I am proud to have gone to school on his watch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 5, 2020, 10:47 AM

R.C. Edwards and my father were classmates of the Class of 1933. We were good friends with the Edwards and attended the Methodist Church with them. Mother was a good friend of Louise and visited the President's home many times. One time my girl friend was in town and she wanted to see the Edwards' home and we stopped there and they welcomed us in. He was the President when I attended Clemson and was 'All In" before it became a slogan. I admired how he saved Clemson University property from being flooded, including the football stadium, when the government built Hartwell Reservoir and the integration of Clemson when Harvey Gantt became a student at Clemson. I am sure there were many other highlights of his time in office but he was beloved by all the students.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 5, 2020, 10:59 AM

45Tiger, I think your father taught me several courses in the Textile Dept.at Clemson.

Sep 5, 2020, 11:08 AM

My father was John Vernon (JV) Walters and he probably taught you in Textiles NH. He taught at Clemson from 1936-1976 except from the time he served in World War II. Thanks for recognizing Dad from my posting.

Sep 5, 2020, 11:32 AM

45Tiger, your father was a great teacher and a true gentleman. I enjoyed his courses.

Two years ago, we had a reunion at Clemson of the '67 Textile grads and spent two days and nights laughing about those good old days. Some of us had not seen each other since graduation, and your father was fondly remembered.

We could only locate 24 of about 50 grads, and 17 of those from 4 states attended. We toured the football facility and Sirrine Hall during our time together. We'll likely have another if this COVID thing ever moderates.

R.C. and a Moon Pie....,,.famous slogan back then!***

Sep 5, 2020, 11:03 AM

Sep 5, 2020, 11:14 AM

I don’t always comment, but I am really enjoying these old photos! Thank you!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Years after he’d retired, he & “Moon-Pie” invited the wife & I to their home near town..

Sep 5, 2020, 11:48 AM

and while Mrs Edwards showed the wife around the house I got to hear President “RC” Edwards tell me how he’d saved the lower half of the campus (including Death Valley Stadium) from being under water from Lake Hartwell without the dikes due to his talks with the Corps of Engineers.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Years after he’d retired, he & “Moon-Pie” invited the wife & I to their home near town..

Sep 5, 2020, 12:01 PM

Not only did DR. Edwards save the campus during the lake construction, but according to history, he purchased something like 12K acres of land for the college from government for $1 as part of the deal.

We used to see him running around the track

Sep 5, 2020, 12:27 PM

on Saturday mornings during my high school years in the
late 70s when my bros and some buddies and I would go
play on the practice fields and track (probably can't do
that now). Wanted to talk to him but didn't want to
interrupt his runs. And of course I got to attend RC
Edwards Junior High School as it was called back then
in the mid 70s, a couple years after the original was built.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 5, 2020, 2:12 PM

Always admired Dr. Edwards for his leadership. He recognized that students could do stupid stuff and still be saved to be a positive citizen. Thanks for the photos.

Sep 5, 2020, 4:02 PM

Dr. Edwards and "Moon Pie" were a Clemson team. I came to Clemson with my family in 1955. Clemson played the Univ. of Florida in Gainesville a couple of years later. My wife and I bought our tickets through Clemson. Both of us were Gator alums and and had not yet been completely converted to a Tiger fan. Our seats were in front of the Edwards. Mrs. Edwards said to me, "Joe, we're going to make a Tiger out of you". You can assume the rest of the story.

I was a long time Greeter at the Clemson Methodist Church. One Sunday when the Edwards entered the church Mrs. Edwards said, "Joe, I'm going to give you a hug". Over the years I received many hugs from "Moon Pie", a lovely lady.

As we were leaving the Methodist Church on the Sunday Ken Hatfield was named coach, Dr. Edwards stopped me and and invited me to come over to the stadium as they would be introducing Hatfield as our new football coach. My wife, one of my daughters and I went over to the stadium. I couldn't find Dr. Edwards and security would not let me go to the room where the announcement was to be made. There was a group of fans standing outside, some with signs protesting the firing of Danny Ford. When the motorcade containing all of the dignitaries arrived, security had all of the fans on the outside to move to same side. I didn't notice it at the time but I was standing amidst the group protesting Ford's firing. All cameras were on the protesters and their I was in the middle of the group. The sports segment of very TV station in South Carolina on their Sunday night news showed a scene of the protesters and there was Joe21 in the midst of the group.

Sometime later, I told Dr. Edwards about this episode and we had a big laugh. During the following years we still had a laugh when we mentioned my TV appearance. On that Sunday night and the following days, I had calls from many friends from throughout the state who had seen the film clip.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

loved RC he came to pep rallies at the amphitheater***

Sep 5, 2020, 9:45 PM

RC Edwards, Walter Cox, Bob Bradley and

Sep 5, 2020, 10:11 PM

Frank Howard. As Clemson as Clemson can get. Nothing but 100 % Class Act people. I was lucky to know all of them

Sep 6, 2020, 11:50 AM

rename Tillman hall Edward's hall
best president ever

Sep 6, 2020, 11:50 AM

best president ever

Sep 9, 2020, 1:12 PM

dano81 said:

best president ever

AGREE 1000%

Sep 6, 2020, 5:52 PM

Can you imagine Clements throwing a beer bash??? Burp...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic