Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #104 'Temporary Barracks in 1940s'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,499

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #104 'Temporary Barracks in 1940s'

Jul 14, 2020, 7:44 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #104 'Temporary Barracks in 1940s'

TigerNet will be posting several historic Clemson photos during this difficult time with no Clemson sports. Long-time TigerNet member Mintaka® submitted many of Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #104 'Temporary Barracks in 1940s'

Jul 14, 2020, 8:28 AM

My uncle attended Clemson during the time these barracks were there and this picture was taken. My cousin (his daughter) has his Taps from that time. I ran across this picture 3-4 years ago, posted it on FB, sent the picture via email to Clemson friends, etc. asking if anyone could identify the buildings. No one had any idea. Now we know.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2020, 8:39 AM

Looks like the close up would have been taken from the area just outside the baseball field's left field corner area.
(Look at the shape of the building and the road running in front of the building)
Also looks like trees in front of building are more mature in the aerial picture? So perhaps the closeup picture was actually taken prior to the aerial picture?
...Didn't mean to go all NCIS on y'all.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2020, 9:40 AM

Opposite corner. This is from Lot 2. That's Williamson Road in front. Interesting buildings. Wonder if these gave them the idea for Johnstone?

Jul 14, 2020, 9:40 PM

My thought also before I saw your post. Definitely could have been an inspiration for The Cans where I served 2 years.

Jul 18, 2020, 5:35 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #104 'Temporary Barracks in 1940s' ]

The evidence seems to me to indicate you are correct...ground level photo taken prior to the aerial. The ground level photo has what looks to me to be a Ford Model T and a Model A Coupe, which would’ve likely been cats made in the late 1920’s (Model T) and early 1930’s (A Model). I think the far right car may be a 40 Ford Coupe? I’m guessing the ground level photo was taken in the early 40’s? Any car guys to confirm?

While it’s harder to see for sure. The cars parked in the aerial view look to be from a later time. At least I don’t see any of the 1920’s-early 1930’s boxy Model A style cars in that photo so I’m guessing it was taken later?

Jul 14, 2020, 3:56 PM

NI thought they were built to house the over flow of returning GI’s . Although they could have been built during the war. One of my returning brothers lived in one of those in 1946-47. There was a vet with some problems who shot a pistol in his room with the bullet going through the ceiling.

There is a retired Col. Here in the retirement community who spent a year at Clemson just as the war ended. He was a Lieutenant at the time, Got an appointment to West Point, took it in order to get a regular commission. Big Clemson fan as well as Army.. In later career served under a Col. Who graduated from Clemson.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,499
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic