Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: FSU head coach Willie Taggart fired
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

TNET: FSU head coach Willie Taggart fired

Nov 3, 2019, 3:23 PM

FSU head coach Willie Taggart fired

Florida State head coach Willie Taggart has been fired effective immediately on Sunday. "We had no choice," FSU President John Thrasher said. The Seminoles were Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Way overdue. If I was them, I'd go after The Hat in Kansas

Nov 3, 2019, 3:25 PM

Get him to turn your franchise around and groom an heir apparent and in 5 years, you got another Jimbo.

Les Miles is a moron***

Nov 3, 2019, 3:34 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Les Miles is a moron***

Nov 3, 2019, 3:37 PM

He can also recruit, his teams are always tough and he has a National Championship. If I'm looking to turn a team around quick, Les Miles is my guy.

What exactly has Les turned around?***

Nov 3, 2019, 3:44 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What exactly has Les turned around?***

Nov 3, 2019, 5:06 PM

He's had arguably the worst team in the FBS Kansas playing pretty good this year. Came within 3 points of beating Texas. I think with FSU's talent, he'd turn them around overnight.

Re: What exactly has Les turned around?***

Nov 4, 2019, 10:35 AM

Tagert was left with a very bad program. Even Dabo could not turn it around in less thjan 2 years!

Kansas is 3-6 and 10th place in a 12 team league...THAT'S

Nov 4, 2019, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Re: What exactly has Les turned around?*** ]

your TURNAROUND? A close game with an overrated UT team?

Re: Les Miles is a moron***

Nov 3, 2019, 10:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Les Miles is a moron*** ]

He would be an upgrade. I just wonder if enough.

Les is cool

Nov 3, 2019, 3:43 PM [ in reply to Les Miles is a moron*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In almost all cases, I say this kind of thing is stupid.

Nov 3, 2019, 3:27 PM

NOT THIS TIME. He was never going to do well there. From the very first game I was shocked at how poorly coached they were.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: FSU head coach Willie Taggart fired

Nov 3, 2019, 3:28 PM

Bad fit from start, Jimbo knew it was a dumpster fire when he bolted! Tagert would thrive at Virginia Tech or somewhere under the radar like NC State, Florida State would be smart to throw 10 to 12 mill a year at Urban if they can afford it.

Willie Taggart finally fired...

Nov 3, 2019, 3:30 PM

in an expected outcome if you don't beat your rivals and have a losing season and don't have good answers. Even if you have a 'plan' if you don't communicate it out there this is what happens.
If there had been any real spark in the team it needed to start with WT and yet he seemed never to be more than apathetic to gameplay when you watched the sidelines.

You can be a good person, even a good coach, but a bad fit in a program or inability to get buy-in dooms even a very good coach.

Nov 3, 2019, 3:31 PM

Never got a chance to replace Jimbo's terrible players. Should be a red flag for the next FSU hire. If you can't turn a program in 1-1/2 years, you better have a good buy-out.

FSU's board should fire the President, and tell

Nov 3, 2019, 3:37 PM

The NCAA to can Wilcox..perhaps a few others within the 'Nole administration. That snowball began rolling downhill several years back and nothing was done. Now that it's reached the bottom and melted...it's a full-on flood. A $20 million debacle doesn't rest at the feet of one man, but...he has a very healthy bank account now. FSU's accounts...missing lots of 0's...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2019, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: FSU head coach Willie Taggart fired ]

Yes, it was a short leash but when the media turns on you it's an avalanche from there and it was calls for his head midway through year one...bad hire all the way around.

Willie is free***

Nov 3, 2019, 3:34 PM

Re: Willie is free***

Nov 3, 2019, 4:33 PM

Didn't they make a movie about this?

$17.7 million

Nov 3, 2019, 3:35 PM

That's all I gotta say.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Over $20 mil with staff buyouts

Nov 3, 2019, 3:40 PM

They wouldn't spend the $$$$ for the stuff Jimbo wanted to compete with Clemson. They gonna spend them now.

Re: $17.7 million

Nov 3, 2019, 3:43 PM [ in reply to $17.7 million ]

I could've done half as good a job for $8.85 million...

In the least surprising news of the day...

Nov 3, 2019, 3:39 PM

Sure wish they would’ve hung onto him a while longer though.

Ray Charles and Stevie wonder could see this one...

GO TIGERS!!

GO TIGERS!!

GO TIGERS!!

Nov 3, 2019, 3:44 PM

You can say that again and again and again.

Nov 3, 2019, 5:03 PM

I like hearing it over, over, and over again.

GO TIGERS!!

There is no "wow" after getting trashed yesterday by a rival with serious problems of their own.

In his own words after the game, I thought offensively and special teams, we didn’t come to play
That is inexcusable. If he hasn't been able to change the culture at this point, he never will.

A head coach whose greatest strength is recruiting cannot succeed at a top line P5 job. Running a major program requires organizational and leadership skills he clearly doesn't possess.

For the record, I didn't exactly wish him success at FSU because of the way he bolted Oregon after one year, although it worked out for the best (UO is my 2nd team after Clemson).

He might succeed some at a Group of 5 school but not for very long because running a loose ship is fatal.

FSU raised ~$20 million from private donors to buy him out

Nov 3, 2019, 3:53 PM

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27999505/florida-state-fires-coach-willie-taggart

Re: FSU raised ~$20 million from private donors to buy him out

Nov 3, 2019, 4:00 PM

We know who runs the Athletic Department at FSU and it's not the AD and University.

So let me get this straight...

Nov 3, 2019, 4:21 PM

According to the ESPN article, FSU raised $20 million from private donors to buy out Willie Taggart and his staff. So FSU was/is willing to raise $20 million to pay a guy NOT to coach at FSU but not raise $55 million to upgrade their athletic facilities that Jimbo Fisher was requesting three years ago. Sounds like a series of compounding dumb decisions to me (refuse to upgrade facilities in 2016, hire Willie Taggart to start with, and now pay Taggart and staff $20 million not to coach).

FSU is going to turn into the Tennessee of the ACC. Three different coaching staffs in 3 years can do a lot of damage to a program. Wonder how much money they have raised to hire their next coach. Bet their recruiting is going to tank unless it is a real BIG name and my guess is that just about any coach with a big name is going to avoid FSU like the plague. Here are their problems as I see it:

1. FSU is going to be blowing $20 million in donations that could have otherwise gone into new facilities to make them competitive with all the other big programs. My guess is that FSU will have to go into the red to hire their next coach.

2. FSU has sent the message to any potential head coach and coaching staff - you have 1.5 years to turn this program around from the current dumpster fire or you too will be fired. Not sure too many coaches worth a darn is going to take that kind of offer - at least not without a bigger buyout than what old Willie is getting. My guess is that FSU is going to have to try and catch lightning in a bottle with a coach from a lessor program or get a coordinator from a bigger program that has never been a head coach.

3. Firing Taggart will not immediately fix the lack of offensive line talent which has plagued them for the past 4 years. Only recruiting and player development will fix that problem. With so much turmoil at FSU, what 4 or 5 star offensive line recruit will want to go to FSU right now? Unless they name a hall of fame coach in the next several weeks before the early signing period, whoever takes over at FSU will probably have the same offensive line problems in year 1 of their FSU tenure. What happens then when FSU is still an "average" team at best?

4. I tend to think this is the last bullet in the FSU gun - the next FSU coach better be the "right hire" or that program will sink to such depths they haven't seen since before Bobby Bowden showed up at FSU in 1976.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So let me get this straight...

Nov 3, 2019, 4:41 PM

It’s a dumpster fire but think Jeff or Tony take the job if offered? They can clearly recruit Florida and if offered $3-4M a year with $10M+ buyout, may be hard to pass up.

Nov 3, 2019, 5:19 PM [ in reply to So let me get this straight... ]

"FSU is going to turn into the Tennessee of the ACC"

You win, based on this comment alone.

Now FSU should do what UT did to turn this dumpster fire into a nuclear meltdown...HIRE LANE KIFFIN!

Nov 3, 2019, 6:34 PM

Lane Kiffen; the perfect sleazy coach for a sleazy program.

That kid must have sold a crap ton of lemonade

Nov 3, 2019, 5:28 PM [ in reply to So let me get this straight... ]

Nov 3, 2019, 4:49 PM

Me and most of the fans I know are somewhere between surprised and shocked that it happened so quickly.

My knee jerk reaction: They know who the next coach is gonna be. Reports are they have raised the 20 million to pay off the contract. I can't believe they would have fired him at this point in time without knowing who the next guy is.

I have no idea who the next guy is. But, if you can pay off 20M bucks then you have some deep pocketed boosters. I guess a 5 year 30 million dollar contract ( or at least in that ballpark) will lure someone with the pedigree of a Matt Rhule or a Mike Gundy or a PJ Fleck. (Not saying it is going to be one of those guys. I have no idea.)

I posted my thoughts on just how bad our team looked yesterday. (I posted even more, and was more negative, on a Nole board.)

Yesterday's effort and execution was the worst I can ever recall. The offense looked every bit as bad as it did Jeff Bowden's last year as OC.

We gave up 9 sacks. (A school record for us, and a school record for Miami.) We had 203 yards of offense and also had 10 penalties.)

I'll get my coaching carousel cranked up. If I hear anything I'll let you know.

Thanks Bret, I immediately thought of you when I heard the news about Taggart.

Nov 3, 2019, 4:53 PM

This abrupt mid season firing would make more sense if you are correct about the next coach already being in place or close to it. It will be interesting to see how all of this unfolds.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

At this point, I’d give Odell Haggins the HC job and money

Nov 3, 2019, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: FSU head coach Willie Taggart fired ]

To hire a top notch OC and DC

Nov 3, 2019, 5:13 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: FSU head coach Willie Taggart fired ]

Lane Kiffin would be the perfect train wreck to accompany the dumpster fire.

Nov 3, 2019, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: FSU head coach Willie Taggart fired ]

I would certainly look for someone who can coach football that also happens to be a disciplinarian. I don't care how good the athletes you recruit are if there is not a firm plan in place to get the house in order.

Speaking for me only, I never-ever thought FSU would have

Nov 3, 2019, 5:46 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: FSU head coach Willie Taggart fired ]

this problem...being selfish, I am comforted that we actually win against yall with some sort of ease - yet I still can't look at a future schedule and not take note of the FSU game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2019, 5:12 PM

I think David Hale's comment made the most sense saying the W-L record was not so much the issue but rather the culture for which he had no plan for the future.

Nov 3, 2019, 7:42 PM

What did Willie Taggart do deserve a $17.7 buyout. Horrible business decision.

Nov 3, 2019, 7:58 PM

Coach Taggart says he will appreciate it if FSU will just give him his check for 17 mil in just one check!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2019, 8:08 PM

It is unfortunate Taggart inherited a MESS that Jimbo made. He didn't get enough time to fix it. The O line flat out sucks . The game is won in the trenches. No coach will win with that O-line. The Criminoles will be irrelevant for at least 5 more years. You can't fix this with a band aid . They need major surgery.

Nov 3, 2019, 10:04 PM

I was really hoping they would give him a lifetime contract????

Nov 3, 2019, 10:07 PM

Wow...that was bold and the right call. Impressive. It shows they have faith in what they can do and offer. A team like USCjr knows they are I probably in a dumpster fire no matter what they do and will just stick it out.

Nov 4, 2019, 4:06 AM

Coach Taggert not leaving empty handed. Maybe not the right hire at the outset. But keep in mind Jimbo’s timing perfect, the cupboard was bare.

CAN'T SAY I DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING** $$$$***

Nov 4, 2019, 6:53 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Give Dabo and staff a raise.

Nov 4, 2019, 8:03 AM

Go Tigers.

Taggarts final message was a lot classier than the school he

Nov 4, 2019, 11:47 AM

is leaving.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's still a loser though***

Nov 4, 2019, 3:27 PM

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic