Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Auburn fires Guz Malzahn
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

TNET: Auburn fires Guz Malzahn

Dec 13, 2020, 2:33 PM

Auburn fires Guz Malzahn

There is another coaching vacancy in college football. Auburn announced on Sunday that they have fired Gus Malzahn as their football coach. Malzahn's buyout is Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Luckiest man in the world ...

Dec 13, 2020, 2:40 PM

Only in coaching can you be paid a $13M or $21M buyout for underperforming and being fired. Gus can take the year off, or not as he decides, and come back as a highly paid head coach as soon as he chooses. uofsc would have been far better off with Mahlzahn than Beamer. It shows how foolhardy uofsc was to hire before the annual firings began.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Luckiest man in the world ...

Dec 13, 2020, 4:48 PM

Not only in football. There have been many underperforming CEOs receive much more in their golden parachutes.

Re: Luckiest man in the world ...

Dec 13, 2020, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Luckiest man in the world ... ]

usuc is the epitome of stupidity. Although they would have been wise to have chosen Gus M., he was too good for them. Although there are many coaches who deserve a fate that includes usuc, I can't think of any coach who could help them dig out from under their deserved lack of success who has committed transgressions deserving of a punishment that includes serving time in cola at usuc. That offense skips purgatory and goes straight to the deepest depths of "inferno".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously, who does Auburn think they are going to get

Dec 13, 2020, 2:43 PM

better than Gus?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Auburn's recruiting is in the toilet.

Dec 13, 2020, 2:46 PM

Their incoming 2021 class is ranked 42 by 24 7.

Not going to fly on the plains. They don't want to become another FSU.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, they do have a chick-fil-A on campus.***

Dec 13, 2020, 6:25 PM

Re: Seriously, who does Auburn think they are going to get

Dec 13, 2020, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Seriously, who does Auburn think they are going to get ]

Sumlin and Muschamp are available. They can take you all the way to the bottom.....
Auburn will be toast for years now! Reminds me of our Hatfield situation. Took us 15 to recover!
Gus was not leading them to the promised land, but who will?

WOW.. Hatfield - some remembers him

Dec 13, 2020, 5:38 PM

downer years of Clemson.
I remember QB Patrick Sapp, 6-6, gun for an arm, was forced to play wishbone.
:(

Re: WOW.. Hatfield - some remembers him

Dec 13, 2020, 10:13 PM

I am tempted to say that Hatfield was the worst coach in our history, but that would forget Hootie. It wouldn't be right. Hootie certainly has to be in the hunt for that honor.

Hatfield wasn't a bad coach.

Dec 13, 2020, 11:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Seriously, who does Auburn think they are going to get ]

In 4 years he went 32-13-1, but led us to our 1st losing season in 16 years when we went 5-6 in '92. Much like Charlie Strong at Texas, Ken Hatfield walked into a situation in which the ground had been poisoned before he ever coached a game for us. He inherited one of the most talented rosters we ever had pre-Dabo; went 10-2 in '90 & 9-2-1 with an ACC title in '91. But Hatfield wasn't Danny Ford, & nothing he could do was good enough to please everyone. Recruiting suffered, because Hatfield couldn't just pick up where Danny left off in recruiting NC-SC-GA, but the lingering bitterness & division within the fan base over Ford's firing was no doubt a factor.
You are right - it took us about 15 years to recover from this debacle. Yes, the decline in talent level happened on Hatfield's watch, but firing a coach who just finished 8-3 is never a good look & our image took a beating because of it. We ended up having to settle for an unproven Tommy West - a good person & not too bad of a head coach - but in his 5 years he couldn't get the program out of its funk. But we can at least be thankful that we never experienced a total collapse-&-rebuild like USC did.
So, while I'd concede that we had to part ways with Hatfield, to this day I'm not proud of the way we treated him at CU.

Dec 13, 2020, 5:10 PM [ in reply to Seriously, who does Auburn think they are going to get ]

Hugh Freeze

Dec 13, 2020, 10:09 PM [ in reply to Seriously, who does Auburn think they are going to get ]

They probably think they can get lots of coaches who are better. There are many stupid thoughts being pondered down there. It's what they do in the secheat. I think it's in their DNA. Few of their thoughts are correct, mind you, but oh well. It all reminds me of the old song, "Another One Bites The Dust". Next coach up, I guess. I predict, a new coach with instant success, then NCAA violations, probation, then another coach, and then restart the process. Did I mention DNA? They can't help it. Some of you young whippersnappers remind everybody when it happens again. You heard it first right here, pilgrims, from Dugatiger.

Re: TNET: Auburn fires Guz Malzahn

Dec 13, 2020, 2:46 PM

Seems oddly timed. Who do they think they are going to get, Urban?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2020, 2:48 PM

Muschamp lmao

Dec 13, 2020, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Auburn fires Guz Malzahn ]

Freeze

Dec 13, 2020, 5:14 PM

Hugh Freeze to auburn Art Briles to liberty to replace freeze because the ad at liberty was the ad at Baylor where Briles was the Head coach. Watch out this is going to happen I'm telling you

Dec 13, 2020, 8:35 PM

That would make sense. Allbarn would hire him before any other P5 school would consider

I'm going to say

Dec 13, 2020, 11:52 PM

Luke Fickell.

Freeze has WAY too much baggage.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, Auburn won't hesitate to hire a coach with some baggage . . .

Dec 14, 2020, 12:05 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Auburn fires Guz Malzahn ]

as long as he's a good recruiter & a proven winner. Like Bruce Pearl. Or Hugh Freeze.

Matt Campbell?***

Dec 13, 2020, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Auburn fires Guz Malzahn ]

Harbaugh?

Dec 13, 2020, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Auburn fires Guz Malzahn ]

About time for him to flee M.

He'll go back to the pros***

Dec 13, 2020, 11:34 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2020, 6:09 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Auburn fires Guz Malzahn ]

Richt

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2020, 6:16 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Auburn fires Guz Malzahn ]

I was thinking that Herman should take that job, but first, get himself fired!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Auburn is much like SCar

Dec 13, 2020, 2:54 PM

Severe inferiority complex with an in state rival that owns them. There is only one Dabo and only one Saban; doesn’t matter who is at the helm of these programs. Unless they can coax Urban to coach again I don’t see much changing by getting rid of Gus. However, Auburn recruiting is in the toilet so maybe it was time for a change.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Auburn Going To He// ---

Dec 13, 2020, 2:56 PM

They fired the man on a Sunday after a win during a Covid infested season.

Maybe like Nebraska ?? or Georgia ?? or others ???

Dec 13, 2020, 4:18 PM

Fire the coach that can only win you 9 or 10,may be 11, ball games a year --

Richt @ Georgia was 145 -51 -- 74% win percentage was 6th among P5 coaches

Pelini@ Nebraskaa was 67-27 -- 72% win persentage

so just goes to show ya' -- get a good """buy-out""" clause in your contract and you can retire early in life with _ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$MILLIONS$$$$$$$$$$$$$ _______________________ if you can't win 99@ of your games****

GO TIGERS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Shane Train or Gus Bus?

Dec 13, 2020, 4:07 PM

UofSuc would fit better with the latter.

Well he did lose to UofSC...

Dec 13, 2020, 4:13 PM

...The team with the girl kicker was the only other team to lose to them.

Message was edited by: Tiger1983®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well he did lose the UofSC...

Dec 13, 2020, 4:19 PM

Right 83 --- losing to Usuk is reason alone, to fire a coach !!!!!!!!

Too Bad Allbarn, Shane Beamer is off the table***

Dec 13, 2020, 4:25 PM

Sarah Fuller leading candidate per ESPN***

Dec 13, 2020, 5:09 PM

Dec 13, 2020, 5:53 PM

The Rece Davis "be careful what you wish for" tweet has been Chris Fowler energy after Tommy Bowden's firing.

Clemson believed we deserved better than "just ok", and fortunately our administration rolled the dice and landed on Dabo. Auburn also believes they should be better than 7 or 8 wins a year, so why does I'm not sure why Rece should be snarky about them trying to improve themselves. They gave the man 8 years. Arky and FSU gave their last coaches less than 2 years.

Dec 13, 2020, 6:23 PM

Personally, I never thought that dabo was a risk hire. Dabo didn't just get very intelligent when he was hired as Clemson HC!!! Plus, Dabo had been tutored by some pretty good head coaches that probably wasn't as smart as Dabo.

Dec 13, 2020, 6:11 PM

Wonder how much of that payout goes for taxes?!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not that much. As a percentage of income . . .

Dec 14, 2020, 1:00 AM

he probably pays less in taxes than any of us do, what with the lowered rates for high earners after the 2017 tax cut, in addition to all the tax shelters, tax credits & write-offs. Besides, I'm sure Gus has a good tax accountant & financial advisor as well.

Dec 13, 2020, 6:12 PM

I bet that Gus don't give a crap with 21 coming in 30 days. He really don't have ever have to deal with that head ache ever again!!!!

Dec 13, 2020, 6:18 PM

I’m hearing Lee Corso is interested. Should be a little better then

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just for 5hts and giggles

Dec 13, 2020, 6:52 PM

Wouldn’t it be funny if Shane Beamer become their next coach?

Allen Greene says

Dec 13, 2020, 10:00 PM

Hey yall!!!!
Watch this!!!!

Re: Allen Greene says

Dec 14, 2020, 7:29 PM

I, too, agree they will go with a coordinator in the pros.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic