Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Tiger fans review "Safety": Clemson shines in Disney spotlight
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

TNET: Tiger fans review "Safety": Clemson shines in Disney spotlight

Dec 13, 2020, 1:01 PM

Tiger fans review "Safety": Clemson shines in Disney spotlight

The Disney movie “Safety” probably won’t win any Academy Awards and its release straight to streaming services ensures it won’t set any box office records. What it has done is take the Clemson world by storm. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Tiger fans review "Safety": Clemson shines in Disney spotlight

Dec 13, 2020, 2:01 PM

Watched it today and it was very well done. Could become Clemson’s version of Rudy. I’d put it above The Blind Side. Good story and well directed

Dec 13, 2020, 2:56 PM

Gip, I think those that were enamored with the MO story and movie, The Blind Side, see that for what it is, now. Genuine garbage. At least one would hope.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2020, 4:10 PM

I thought it reflected well on Clemson, unlike the Blind Side on Ole Miss. I also thought it was cool as an outside perspective to get a closer look at Clemson’s campus. Was going through a pretty intense break up right before the 2015 game so I passed on driving down from Columbus, regretfully so. I think that this reflected very well on Clemson for student athletes and also had a cool Disney appeal to the kids you most want it to affect: 4th to 8th graders. Those kids will be recruits soon enough and will have already seen the state of the art facilities that Clemson has and the inspiration to balance academics with football and family.

To compare, Rudy does that all for us, but is now outdated. There were a lot of liberties taken with that movie too and I’m willing to bet if you had to take a road trip with someone you would choose Ray Ray over Rudy, who was by all accounts as big of an ####### as Joe Montana.

Dec 13, 2020, 5:51 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Tiger fans review "Safety": Clemson shines in Disney spotlight ]

It seems that is they would have fine tuned some of the nuances and paid a little more attention to some detail, maybe this movie would be award worthy. I guess that would have cost a little bit more, and this is not exactly the best time for the movie industry, but this is the kind of 'feel good' stuff that we need. Certainly will help the Power of the Paw!!!

Dec 13, 2020, 3:44 PM

I love Clemson. I also love movies. Let's be honest. This movie is pretty cringy. I'm not dissing Ray Ray, his story is amazing. However, after the Hollywood treatment, I was left nauseous. There was plenty of artistic license taken with the facts. Blatant fallicies such as an open mic hip hop night at the Esso Club (by far the reddest bar in Clemson) and making Tommy Bowden out to be some hard a$$, was laughable.
I'm glad to see the university on the silver screen, but let's be honest, the movie is dog $hit.

Dec 13, 2020, 3:47 PM

The Esso is the reddest bar in Clemson? That’s a take alright, but not why that never happened there...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2020, 9:35 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Tiger fans review "Safety": Clemson shines in Disney spotlight ]

Lighten up. It's a Disney movie BASED on real events -- not a documentary about Clemson University or Clemson football. My family enjoyed it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2020, 10:39 PM

All that really matters.

Dec 13, 2020, 3:44 PM

I love Clemson. I also love movies. Let's be honest. This movie is pretty cringy. I'm not dissing Ray Ray, his story is amazing. However, after the Hollywood treatment, I was left nauseous. There was plenty of artistic license taken with the facts. Blatant fallicies such as an open mic hip hop night at the Esso Club (by far the reddest bar in Clemson) and making Tommy Bowden out to be some hard a$$, was laughable.
I'm glad to see the university on the silver screen, but let's be honest, the movie is dog $hit.

Dec 13, 2020, 3:54 PM

I'm in quarantine because my physician husband has COVID. I'm also a doc and will likely get it as well. "Safety" was exactly what I needed in the past few days. I've watched it twice. Will probably watch it 3 or 4 more times before I either get out of quarantine or get sick. It's a "feel good" movie and everyone in America could use a "feel good" movie right now.

Wish your husband a full and speedy recovery

Dec 13, 2020, 10:37 PM

and hope you’re able to stay Covid free! Thanks for the work you both do.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2020, 6:12 PM

Just watched it. I think it is a great movie for kids/teens (this is Disney, after all). I enjoyed it because of the Clemson angle.

For those complaining they took some liberties, this is a film based on real events, not a documentary on PBS.

Some random observations:
- The actor playing Bowden called it "Frank Howard Memorial Field", not Frank Howard Field or Memorial Stadium
- The garnet colored SUV for fictional Coach Simmons - as mentioned before, that would never happen at Clemson
- Clemson sure does have a fancy bus station!
- I was always worried for Phamar locked up in that dorm room not being about to go the the bathroom when he needed!
- The campus looked great in the movie and I think they did a good job to make the football facilities/locker rooms look true to the 2006 era at Clemson, but I found myself worrying that these would look not as nice as present day recruits are used to and wishing our new Football Center and practice fields could have been featured. Would not have been historically accurate, but sure would have looked cool.
- Now after the fact, I really hate that piping we have on the uniforms back in that era. Glad we have a completely clean look today.
- New ACC logo on the field but old 2006 era ACC logo on the helmets. I did see 1981 national champions on the façade of the West End Zone, so I think they went to the trouble of airbrushing out 2016 and 2018.
- The Clemson font commissioned by DRad was all over the place in the movie - apparel and signage - but it didn't exist in 2006

And question: The scene where Ray Ray and his girlfriend are sitting under a trellis like structure in front of a body of water - where is that? I didn't recognize that part of campus.

One thing they got right....

Dec 13, 2020, 9:49 PM

Tommy B loved him a tiny Tiger Paw.

Ok, so the acting was a little cringy at times, but I liked the movie. The coach (guy from Walking Dead season 1&2 was the most notable).

Tommy B was played far more intense than I think he was. He might have won more if he had been like that.

If you were expecting more, then you probably asking too much. I hope Ray Ray and his brother received a just compensation for the story. The University and FB got tons of free pub. Overall, a good movie for streaming.

Dec 14, 2020, 10:26 AM

I wanted Clemson #### and I got Clemson ####. Two thumbs up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic