Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: The cupboard is not bare: Swinney loves what he sees in young but talented defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

TNET: The cupboard is not bare: Swinney loves what he sees in young but talented defense

May 1, 2019, 7:57 AM

The cupboard is not bare: Swinney loves what he sees in young but talented defense

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney watched his young defense all spring, wondering which players would step to the forefront after the departure of three NFL first-round picks and one second round pick. He likes what he saw and thinks that the strength of the defense will be the group that many perceived as a weakness a year ago.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: The cupboard is not bare: Swinney loves what he sees in young but talented defense

May 1, 2019, 8:03 AM

:)

That's good news for all of those people that thought the

May 1, 2019, 8:22 AM

cupboard was bare.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’ll enjoy watching the newly stocked cupboard***

May 1, 2019, 8:32 AM

Re: TNET: The cupboard is not bare: Swinney loves what he sees in young but talented defense

May 1, 2019, 9:08 AM

Personally, I'm really happy that Kendrick was ok with moving to the other side of the ball into our secondary to give that part of our D quality strength. I believe that with his athletic ability, after fall camp and a few games under his belt, it will be a no fly zone where ever he's at in the secondary. That was a great move for our defense and our team!!!

Unselfish players is what helps to win Championship's, Go Tigers!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 1, 2019, 9:23 AM

I would second that comment on DK. What a talent to excel on both sides, and what a player to have the mindset to contribute wherever needed. That’s certainly a great example of leadership by DK and championship type behavior. I hope he turns into Neon Dion. Cornerback and returning punts. Playing a little offense too. Awesome.

May 1, 2019, 8:21 PM

I’ll third the comment on DK. Unselfish players win Championships!! Thanks DK for doing what it takes to make the team better. Goona be fun watching this group come together and ball out. Go Tigers

May 1, 2019, 8:31 PM

I will fourth the comment on DK! Love his humbleness and Team Play!

May 1, 2019, 8:29 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: The cupboard is not bare: Swinney loves what he sees in young but talented defense ]

They better strike while the iron is hot because the real Prime Time is on his way. Booth. Closest I've seem to Dion returning punts. Fasten your seat belt!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 1, 2019, 8:35 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: The cupboard is not bare: Swinney loves what he sees in young but talented defense ]

Having played WR and QB, he has the smarts to recognize what's coming from the offense. Moving to the DB position shows he's a team player. That's the type of player Dabo wants.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 1, 2019, 11:00 AM

Even without the 2 injured DTs that are likely to start in the fall... I thought the defense in the spring game was the best we had played against in the last 12 months...since the previous spring game.

:)
Cupboard is far from bare, there are bears in the cupboard and next years D has a shot at being the best in Clemson's history and maybe the best in the nation! We were blessed last year with few if any season ending injuries so any prediction falls apart with significant injuries.

Simmons, Skalski, and Smith are gonna be awesome.

I am not sure DK will start at corner in the fall... that freshman that tore it up in the spring game and Terrell might be the starters. DK might start in the slot until Rogers is healthy, or he may back up the slot and the corners...

I think DK is going to stay at corner. he is athletic enough

May 1, 2019, 11:07 PM

To be a first rounder at CB, we are so loaded at WR. He said himself that he just wants to play and help the team. I think that means playing CB. Once he learns the position I think he will be a star. He'll at worst be in the 2 deep or nickel back.

He just needs to work on his tackling. I'm sure he never had to tackle a back as explosive as ETN in high school.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can already hear the talk on opponent message boards

May 1, 2019, 11:12 AM

They are going to be saying things like "Clemson lost their entire defense to the NFL, they aren't going to be very good." People will be talking about how many points they will be hanging on our unproven D. Even some ESPN talking heads, like Corso, might be saying this.

All I can say is "welcome to Clemson boys, where Coach Venables reloads every year."

Re: I can already hear the talk on opponent message boards

May 1, 2019, 9:02 PM

The best aspect of a BV D is that he runs a complex defense.
But by getting real playing time to the underclassmen they are in position to become stars when they start.

IMO, the defensive scheme run by our defense in last year's natty was the absolute highest pinnacle of defensive play in college football history.
I wish i had the credentials to make that statement mean something, but i don't. I just have to think, as a fan, a defense has never played better.

We led The Nation In # of Players Who PLAYED!

May 1, 2019, 9:19 PM

We won the National Title!
We played more players than anyone else!

We won the National Title!
We played more players than anyone else!

Think about the precious experience our back ups/now starters got last year for a second! It was invaluable. The article someone posted about Bama could easily be written about our defense. The guys we will have playing up front are really good ball players; people forgot about b/c we had "DRAFT PICKS" across the "ENTIRE" Defensive Line. KJ Henry - 5* recruit mind you was afforded the luxury of RS. Shaq Smith former 5* will finally get his opportunity; and so far everyone says he is doing a nice job! Awesome! The secondary saw a Cutcliff QB and 1st round QB, Finley ( 4th rnd draft pick ), Dungey ( UFA who should have been drafted and will get an NFL gig I have no doubt). Plus, Turn-The-Ball over in the championship game. Plus, oh wait, Chase Brice in practice everyday and oh wait, "TL16" the winning NC QB. They are going to be solid. XT played so much him and Nyles I don't really consider them new starters; but whatever for the technical crowd. Isiah Simmons is a grade A 1st round top 10 pick; just on measurables! Forget about how good of a team mate he is.
Shaq is faster than Lamar! And plays with more instincts(which gets him in trouble sometimes). But, it allows him to play fast. Mike Jones is a high 4* LB from IMG I can't wait to see; I believe he RS last year. We stocked well for another run.
Biggest thing: BV is our defensive coordinator!
When he has had to so called, "re-build the defense" he has done some of his finest work! I expect nothing less this season!

Offensively when you get just about everyone back - plus the #1 WR in California and Florida and some OL 4* help - you should be nothing but golden. A RB in Lynn J Dixon just ready to explode and earn more carries!

We good!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 1, 2019, 11:22 AM

I am still worried about the DT's vs A&M, but if we get through that game I am glad we are in the ACC and will have time to sort it out before the playoffs.

May 1, 2019, 1:31 PM

I totally understand, but if I had my rather's for our team, I would rather that we had only 3 easy games in our schedule simply bc, I hate hearing that we never play teams with a heart beat in our conference!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 1, 2019, 1:41 PM

It's not worth your trouble to continue listening to those people.

Our schedule would have to be so ridiculously difficult to remove that stigma that it's basically impossible.

Let's remember that our schedule is being called soft because we are likely to be 2 TD favorites in all of our games this season.

Alabama just finished a schedule in which they were at least a 2 TD favorite in every regular season game and they were said to be "worn down and mentally fatigued" by their schedule on the way to playing us.

Literally the only difference in schedules is that they had to play UGA for the SEC championship.

The reasoning behind those statements is not used across the board so following them up by suggesting that you wish we would do something different to stop the narrative is also not logical.

Lions do not worry about the opinions of sheep.

May 1, 2019, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: The cupboard is not bare: Swinney loves what he sees in young but talented defense ]

I don't even notice those people.

May 1, 2019, 9:45 PM

Which people?????????????? ;)

May 1, 2019, 11:19 PM

You people.

It doesn't get much easier than Alabama and ND

May 1, 2019, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: The cupboard is not bare: Swinney loves what he sees in young but talented defense ]

74-19

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 1, 2019, 5:18 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: The cupboard is not bare: Swinney loves what he sees in young but talented defense ]

I'm not. I don't believe aTm will be allowed to tackle our defense in our house and which aTm freshman is going to stop our guys, whether it is the Front 7 or a blitzing DB?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Be careful when you open that cupboard.

May 1, 2019, 12:54 PM

https://giant.gfycat.com/HorribleMeagerBettong.webm

BOOOOM!!!....That's SCARY speed off the edge!***

May 1, 2019, 1:05 PM

Re: Be careful when you open that cupboard.

May 1, 2019, 3:33 PM [ in reply to Be careful when you open that cupboard. ]

That play put XT in the spotlight for sure. That's scary stuff. Football season can't come soon enough.

Re: Be careful when you open that cupboard.

May 1, 2019, 9:48 PM

I think a Dungey weeping willow is now growing on Frank Howard field.

We lead the Nation In Players Who Took Snaps!

May 1, 2019, 9:23 PM

And It wasn't close!

I forgot to say - I agree with the poster who said, "when you are a two TD favorite, of course your schedule will be deemed soft"! I also agree, "74-19" win total in the college football playoffs vs. two previously undefeated teams indicates to me: "those outside of this fan base can squawk all they want, when it comes to playing the best, we have beaten them too"! Should be no discussion and for you CU fan "no worries" about it! Forget them!

How much did the "VAUNTED" SEC prepare bamer for "soft" scheduled ACC team? Enough said!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 1, 2019, 11:16 PM

I think defensive tackle is the only position I'd be at all "concerned" with and even then I'm not that worried. There's a lot of talent and athleticism and they will only get better as the season goes on. I also know that the talent at linebacker and the talent/depth at defensive end will help to make the defensive tackles look even better. Clemson always seems to have that. If there are concerns about one position group there's insane talent and depth at another position that helps to mask any issues we may have.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic