Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Swinney updates Justyn Ross checkup, says Tigers healthy for Notre Dame
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 4,732

TNET: Swinney updates Justyn Ross checkup, says Tigers healthy for Notre Dame

Dec 13, 2020, 8:18 PM

Swinney updates Justyn Ross checkup, says Tigers healthy for Notre Dame

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney told the media Sunday evening that his Tigers should be healthy when they take on Notre Dame Saturday in the ACC Championship Game in Charlotte. Don’t expect Justyn Ross to be one of those playing even though he has checked off two big boxes in his potential return to football. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Swinney updates Justyn Ross checkup, says Tigers healthy for Notre Dame

Dec 13, 2020, 8:45 PM

Kelly sure is changing his tune about having a healthier Clemson/Team wasn't going to make a difference. Or having TL 16 back wouldn't make a difference. He must have had a bad dream about saying what he said a few weeks ago, that Trevor wouldn't have made a difference in the out come of that game!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Swinney updates Justyn Ross checkup, says Tigers healthy for Notre Dame

Dec 13, 2020, 8:49 PM

Good news on Ross. ?? he continues to heal. Just want to see him have a healthy quality of life whether he plays football again here or on Sundays. Sounds promising though.

Dec 13, 2020, 9:03 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney updates Justyn Ross checkup, says Tigers healthy for Notre Dame ]

You guys have no idea how much I want to beat the gold off of their helmets. Kelly and Book have both made some pretty smug comments about the game. ND had everything go their way the first time. We had our D game and took them to double overtime at their house. I cannot wait until Saturday. Dabo has never been able to deliver a no doubt game in the same season. This is going to be fun to watch.

Dec 13, 2020, 9:56 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney updates Justyn Ross checkup, says Tigers healthy for Notre Dame ]

Had a dream was funny! A nightmare is funny too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i like dabos dig at ohio state with

Dec 13, 2020, 9:07 PM

the we have been going 20 weeks. line that was clearly a jab at the bucknuts not playing but 6 games and having like two bye weeks in that time

Re: i like dabos dig at ohio state with

Dec 1, 2023, 12:56 PM

Only 5 games so far. 1/2 of SUC and ACC games played.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Technically Ross did not have an injury

Dec 13, 2020, 9:11 PM

He had a congenital narrowing of the spinal column.

Most probably near the base of his neck in the C5-C7 vertebrae region. That is the area you typically have issues. That’s also the area Mike Williams injured when he kit the goal post.

If you have ever been wrestling with someone and they push your Head down and you feel that burning in the base of your neck that’s the C6 and C7 vertebrae.

When you see someone that’s in a wheelchair because of a spinal cord injury in the neck either from a diving accident, diving in water too shallow and hitting your head on the bottom, or a car accident, it’s typically a C6/C7 injury.

People make a big deal out of the targeting rule in football. What they don’t understand is this rule is not just for the offensive player. In fact the offensive player typically only has to worry about a concussion. This rule is also to protect the defensive player, Who has a Much higher risk of injury because they are risking permanent paralysis and life in a wheelchair.

Anytime you see someone in a wheelchair that got hurt playing football The odds are it is a defensive Player that was trying to make a tackle and went head first and broke his neck in the C6/C7 area.

Dennis Byrd, Defensive lineman for the New York Jets that had a movie made about his life fractured C5. As I stated at the very top C5 through C7 is is the main risk area and most injuries involve C6/C7.

If you followed college football back in the 1980s Or if you are a fan of the Miami Dolphins or if you are from South Carolina especially the Lowcountry then you will remember 1985 when the son of Nick Buoniconti, Marc, was a sophomore linebacker at the Citadel And broke his neck making a tackle.

They don’t teach proper tackling today. But a proper form tackle means you lead with your head, because your body can’t go where your head doesn’t, but you don’t make contact with your head which jams the neck. You make contact with your shoulder and you wrap up with your arms and lift with your legs And drive the player backwards. Your knees should be bent your hips should be bent your shoulders should be squared and you hit with the shoulder and wrap up with the arms and left with the legs.

But a lot of football players have broken their neck in high school, college, and the NFL. And it is almost always a defensive player making a poor tackle leading with his head and jamming his neck.

Re: Technically Ross did not have an injury

Dec 13, 2020, 9:38 PM

Excellent post that should serve as a reminder to us all why targeting calls matter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2020, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Technically Ross did not have an injury ]

It’s easy to do when you are trying to get to a spot quickly because it seems if you lower your head you will get there but this is always a mistake. Most everybody who’s played football has done it a time or two.

I hope Justin gets approved by the playoffs....??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Dec 13, 2020, 10:17 PM

Is this actually an option? I know they always want to publicly say the most pessimistic option, so they are going with "he'll be ready by 2021 season". I know he's been running routes, but you don't want to risk a not-quite-healed neck surgery with live tacklers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2020, 11:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Technically Ross did not have an injury ]

Yes, excellent post lowcntry. Been praying for Justyn... He deserves all the success life has to offer for him. Reports definitely promising. If he doesn't play, it won't be because of Justyns' sheer will to win that's for sure.

Sounds like we'll see him in spring possibly running routes in full pads against competition but no contact. Then hopefully he can drill in contact next summer and hopefully have a complete fall camp.

I would think the NFL would like to see him in competition before a full payday. I really hope he comes back to Clemson because imho, Dabo would be more inclined to work him at his own pace.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2020, 3:57 PM

Yes sir, a healthy Justyn Ross means probably 80-100 yards a game, and probably 7-14 points a game. A healthy Justyn next season would be a major plus going into next season with EJ Williams, Ladson Jr, Ngata, Spector, and and hopefully at least one of the true freshman coming in will be a standout freshman plus our TEs. We should have a great receiving core for DJ to throw to!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2020, 7:52 AM [ in reply to Technically Ross did not have an injury ]

Logically it seems like forcing coaching staffs to instruct proper tackling technique would go farther than the targeting penalty. The penalty is always post event. No doubt they have taken out the head hunting except for a rare occasion someone tries to use their forearm or hit a guy really late. However, you still get targeting calls because a defender gets sloppy or has not had enough practice repetition.

Dec 13, 2020, 9:55 PM

That is such great news for Justyn. So happy for him. Hopefully he will continue to heal and will be back next year. Great news!!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Ladson? Ngata, EJ?

Dec 13, 2020, 9:56 PM

I haven’t seen anything that indicates Dabo has been asked directly about Ladson or Ngata and EJ was missing last week too. As great as Rogers and Powell are, I think a jump ball in the corner of the end zone is better suited for those three

Dec 13, 2020, 10:42 PM

Chris Fowler should be sued for malpractice. You don’t speak with zero knowledge of a situation that could result in severe injury to a young man because you want people to think you have confidential information.

Dec 1, 2023, 2:16 PM

Calhoun2 said:

Chris Fowler should be sued for malpractice. You don’t speak with zero knowledge of a situation that could result in severe injury to a young man because you want people to think you have confidential information.

Well I don't think it would actually be malpractice for a sports caster, but what did he say?

Dec 13, 2020, 10:56 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney updates Justyn Ross checkup, says Tigers healthy for Notre Dame ]

Calhoun2 said:

Well I don't think it would actually be malpractice for a sports caster, but what did he say?

Last I checked Chris Fowler is not a physician

Dec 14, 2020, 8:41 AM

and specifically not Justyn Ross' physician. Please explain how in the world Chris Fowler should/could be sued for malpractice.

Dec 13, 2020, 10:56 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney updates Justyn Ross checkup, says Tigers healthy for Notre Dame ]

Calhoun2 said:

Dec 14, 2020, 7:59 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney updates Justyn Ross checkup, says Tigers healthy for Notre Dame ]

Calhoun2 said:

First, Fowler was wrong to speculate. I think likely he got caught up trying to fill airtime during a 2nd half blowout. Can we stop with sue everyone? He deserved to be criticized, and the remedy would be to get him to apologize for his mistake. I don’t think that happened because Swinney took the high road when asked about Fowler’s comments.

Replies: 21
| visibility 4,732
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic