Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Swinney on special teams errors: "We'll make it better"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

TNET: Swinney on special teams errors: "We'll make it better"

Oct 25, 2020, 8:01 AM

Swinney on special teams errors: "We'll make it better"

There are no perfect coaches, and there are no perfect players, and a win is a win. But there is no doubt that Clemson’s special teams have to fix their errors.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Swinney on special teams errors: "We'll make it better"

Oct 25, 2020, 8:09 AM

Our special teams have been mediocre at best for years. I cringe when there is return against us on kickoffs. Dabo has not addressed this at all in my opinion and if he has tried, it’s not working.

Yeah we’re at the point where a head needs to roll

Oct 25, 2020, 8:16 AM

Our special teams have been abysmal for years. We hardly ever attempt to return a punt , it’s been wayyyy too long since a return TD, 4 blocked kicks should be a stat for 10 years , not 2 games... special teams should at least be a neutral game, not necessarily winning you games but definitely not putting you at risk to lose them. There’s gotta be someone who can do a better job coordinating ST

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah we’re at the point where a head needs to roll

Oct 25, 2020, 8:37 AM

You know it basic fundamental things on special teams, like for example the photo here clearly shows BT not being fundamentally sounds as he is raising his head to see the kick. I would have to watch tape, but that’s a telling sign right their that
A. The fundamentals of a special teams unit need to go back to basic good fundamentals.
B. Teams are attacking the right side of the line on FG attempts and Punt.... this is the side the pressure is coming from. There must be a week link or two there or how should we adjust.
C. Clemson hasn’t been effective on Punt returns since Spiller and Ford and remember we had two return guys back and one would always get the first block to get the other in Space and it also offered reverse option.

Totally disagree wit point “C” ...

Oct 25, 2020, 10:46 AM

Attempting to block punts requires taking a risk, which we have not needed to take in several years due to the potency of our offense.

Getting a punt return requires taking a risk, which we have not needed in several years due to the potency of our offense.

Roughing a punter attempting to block a punt or muffing/fumbling a punt is a terrible blow to the morale of a defense that just created the punting situation.

For several years we have not needed to block a punt, or return a punt in order to win 99% of the games we have played.

Absolutely true.

Oct 25, 2020, 2:32 PM

Tigers have been better than opponents at most every position on Offense and Defense for several years. So Swinney has purposefully not hired a special teams coach or coached special teams -- 1/3 of the game. Because in the ACC, it just doesn't matter. Clemson will win any way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Last time special teams lost us a game was 2015 Bama

Oct 25, 2020, 4:03 PM

Trying hard to recall if special teams has actually WON a game for us over that time.

ST is absolutely critical, but we seem to have decided that punt blocks/returns are not particularly important to our chances of winning.

As far as punt returns go

Oct 25, 2020, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Yeah we’re at the point where a head needs to roll ]

It's all about judgement; how much time do you have to secure the ball and get your eyes down to see a running lane. That timer in your head better be working or you risk muffing the punt or getting blasted and losing the ball. That is a job for elite returners because I am noticing that a lot of punters are attempting to put more air under the ball so the defenders can get down field.
Maybe we need to work on blocking off the line so that the gunners are not getting down field so quickly. With minimal hang time, only a Spiller, Hamilton, Horne, or Woolford had the quick twitch reaction to avoid the initial rush and get going. Rodgers may have that kind of reaction, but I swear it looks like defenders are within 2 - 3 yards of him by the time he secures the ball, which means he had better had made a fair catch...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Reason there are very few Punt Returns is

Oct 25, 2020, 2:25 PM

We never Block the Gunners! For several years now, the Staff (for reasons I do not know) has refused to Block the Gunners of opposing teams. They simply allow them to run free.

From end zone camera, whole o-line acted as if they were

Oct 26, 2020, 8:56 PM

gunners on the blocked punt. They did theur best to avoid contact.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lucky Johnson

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic