Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Swinney on being a Christian in critical world: "I don't think you can turn that off"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

TNET: Swinney on being a Christian in critical world: "I don't think you can turn that off"

May 8, 2020, 8:37 AM

Swinney on being a Christian in critical world: "I don't think you can turn that off"

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney has never been afraid of criticism, and he’s never been ashamed to show his faith. For those that want him to shut that off and just coach football, he has a message for you: that isn’t going to happen.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looking at you...FFRF...***

May 8, 2020, 8:52 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Swinney on being a Christian in critical world: "I don't think you can turn that off"

May 8, 2020, 8:54 AM

God bless you, Coach!

Re: TNET: Swinney on being a Christian in critical world: "I don't think you can turn that off"

May 8, 2020, 8:55 AM

I think he meant Colossians 3:23. There is no Ecclesiastes 3:23.

Yep - it is Colossians 3:23***

May 8, 2020, 9:08 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Yep - it is Colossians 3:23***

May 8, 2020, 9:22 AM

Love our coach so much! Glad he’s not only an amazing coach, but an even better man, who’s not ashamed of his faith in Christ! We should all be like Dabo, and “honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect.” (1 Peter 3:15) Dabo embodies this verse exceptionally well!

I Am Not A Christian

May 8, 2020, 9:18 AM

And frankly I am still searching. I know one thing. Faith in a higher power enabled me to get sober 30 years ago when nothing else would so I remain very spiritual and mindful without a rock solid set of religious framework. As a former political conservative that now leans more liberal one thing that drives me crazy is when anyone is attacked or unfairly criticized for their faith, and it is too prevalent in liberal circles. I have family members that really dislike Dabo because he does not hide his faith and I just don’t get their animosity toward anyone that truly believes and demonstrates and lives their beliefs. That is all...

Message was edited by: OrangeCoast®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I Am Not A Christian

May 8, 2020, 9:31 AM

Praying that Jesus finds you as the good shepherd finds his sheep. God bless.

May 8, 2020, 9:46 AM [ in reply to I Am Not A Christian ]

Thanks for being honest. Hope you keep searching. Perhaps you will investigate the claims of Jesus. Its one thing to examine the evidence and find it wanting. Its another thing not to examine the evidence. I'm praying for you!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2020, 11:54 AM [ in reply to I Am Not A Christian ]

I don't remember the passage in the Bible, but it says; Draw close to the Lord and He will draw close to you. Keep sincerely searching sir, He's not far away. God bless you in that search.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

James 4:8 - "Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.

May 8, 2020, 12:26 PM

Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. "

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great, fair, open & honest post - refreshing for these here

May 8, 2020, 12:29 PM [ in reply to I Am Not A Christian ]

parts - lol.

I will throw this out there, OC, for your consideration - not that these few words are worthy of your consideration . . . .

I committed my life to Christ at 13 . . . and after the "revival" effect wore off, I went in all kinda crazy directions, including my time at Clemson . . . just not being committed to living my life as a shining example of Christ & the Bible.

But even then, I KNEW that God was with me. There were so many moments - I think Dabo calls them God winks - that it was unmistakable to me about the presence of God in my life.

Fast forward to now - fat, old, puffy me - I still have GOBS of room for improvement in being more servant's heart-oriented and loving, but I can tell you, with 100% certainty, that the salvation of Jesus Christ & the love of God is as real as the wind - I feel it and know it with every sense of my being.

Great post - thanks for being a voice of calmness to those knucklehead family members who rail on our guy ! ! ! lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

May 8, 2020, 1:02 PM [ in reply to I Am Not A Christian ]

"Keep asking, and it will be given to you. Keep searching, and you will find. Keep knocking, and the door will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7

May 8, 2020, 1:04 PM [ in reply to I Am Not A Christian ]

I agree with you. Everyone should be respected because they are created by God.
No one did that better than Jesus. He gave women respect when they were treated so poorly. The hated of society were loved by Him. The book of John is filled with such stories.
We who follow Him fail over and over again. Do not pattern your life after us, but after Jesus.
Thanks for your comments. I am happy to hear of your 30 years of victory.

May 8, 2020, 1:27 PM

Yes we do fail him. I have no doubt, as to my salvation. I know I'm saved by the Blood of Christ, and I know one day I will stand face to face with our King, but because I have failed him so many times, I think I will be ashamed to look Him in the eyes. Thanks to a Great God that loves me in spite of my short comings.

I too, am Not A Christian, however

May 8, 2020, 5:44 PM [ in reply to I Am Not A Christian ]

And I can understand and sympathize with everything you're saying.

I went through a tough childhood (Alcoholic violent dad, beatings, 11 different schools, on the run, scared). Just a bad situation that I never really talked to anyone about growing up.

Then, everything started to unravel 6 years ago (I'm in my mid 40's now). It was triggered by the Boston Marathon Bombing as I went into shock that night after a full day of listening to the police scanner, calling friends, watching news and trying to stay in touch with my GF at the time who just missed the explosions by 15 min).

I didn't eat or sleep for over 5 days after, and subsequently I went to very dark, very scary space.

No concept of time, just in mental dead space, lots of emotional pain and I couldn't understand what was happening, aside from the fact I felt like my control has slipped away. I cried and asked for it just be over with. People describe it as being lost in the dark. That is a very real description. You have no concept of what's going to happen and can't even think about what 5-10 minutes from now will look like.

Scariest moment of my life.

It took about a few months to get back into a routine. At first, 2-3 hours of sleep at night became 5-6. What was just oranges & bananas and water at first finally became more fruits and vegetables. I lost my taste for alcohol and sugar, which was great for weight loss (and my allergies drastically improved too). I lost 28lbs in 30 days. I first started walking,...a lot, then I started back running, and then added in the bike and going to hot yoga.

I also started to talk to a counselor. The best thing I come to realize, I had set up so many expectations and beliefs of what I was supposed to be. Basically, I was failure at that point in my life. I didn't own a house, or have a big 401k, kids or take vacations every 6-12 months. He quickly called me on my BS, and grounded me. It gave me a much needed new perspective. I never once gave myself credit for what I had achieved. Compared to my starting point, I was doing better than 97-99% than anyone else.

He helped me realize as well, that as bad as my problem were, there were many others who had gone through similar issues, some even worse, and that everyone's else life wasn't as grand as I believed in my own head. Most importantly, I started to realized I wasn't alone in my struggle. Yes, there is comfort in knowing you're not alone and we all struggle. We're wired for it, whether we like it or not.

During this 2-3 month transformation, I first read Broken Open, and then a A New Earth By Eckhart Tolle. I started to find purpose in so much of what I was doing. It was also during this time I added mediation to my routine, and something do 2-4x per day. It was through the books and the mediation I was able to recognize the difference b/n what was real, and what was my "ego" talking. Being able to distinguish b/n real and emotional (ego) has helped me so much. When I realize it's my ego, I can let things go so much easier.

During this time, I realized I had been asking a higher power for courage, strength and guidance. Then it hit me like a ton of Bricks. I was talking to God.

But not in the sense that so many portray him (and certainly not what I had rejected most of my own life do to the hypocrisy I seen and experienced my whole life).

It was here, that I finally found peace. I was speaking to God, but it was personal and on my terms. Someone that was there for me. A higher being, shaped in the image I needed, to accept and trust.

I've always resisted being told what to do by others, and refused religion again b/c of hypocrisy by those that pushed it on me. In many cases, I was that person that didn't believe in a "God" after what felt like so many failures and so much struggle. However, I couldn't deny the fact that I always still to a higher power in times of crisis. I prayed for courage, strength or safety for my mom and me when I was younger. I also prayed for other who need support, comforting strength or peace when they asked. Again it was all very personal, and I never shared it with anyone.

I didn't need God to be defined by others. That was my main issue. And I think that's the issue many people have.

For me, it was coming to the conclusion that I could have connection with a higher power that felt comforting. Something that made me feel as if I didn't have to carry around all my baggage and issues on my own and could lean into as needed. And guess what, his name could also be "God", or something else if I wished.

While I never heard voices or carried on talking with myself, I did find gentle nudges in every day life that have been the guidance and reassurance I needed that a higher power does indeed, at least for me.

For me, the story is my way of connecting. For those struggling with making the connection, and overcoming your own set of beliefs or fighting your own experiences with hypocrisy, maybe this helps you find the connection you've been looking for.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2020, 5:46 PM [ in reply to I Am Not A Christian ]

You my friend will be in my prayers. The ONLY way to the Father is through his son Jesus Christ. PLEASE pick up your bible and read Paul’s letters to the churches where he visited and preached the Word to the Gentiles and Jews alike. The books are in the New Testament and began with Romans. As a prelude, read Acts and see how Jesus changed Paul from a zealot Jew who hunted down Christians and persecuted them to possibly the greatest disciple of Jesus Christ. God Bless

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How is the beach? Wife & I want to

May 8, 2020, 6:57 PM

Get down there as soon as things are more normal -had reservations cancelled back in March . On this topic, I have either had direct messages from God or had several amazing psychic events..... and I definitely ain’t psychic

May 8, 2020, 6:41 PM [ in reply to I Am Not A Christian ]

"He that heareth you heareth me; and he that despiseth you despiseth me; and he that despiseth me despiseth him that sent me."

I'm a friend of Bill, if you know what that means

May 8, 2020, 9:17 PM [ in reply to I Am Not A Christian ]

9 years ago, alcohol got me to the bottom. The bottom got me [back to] God. I appreciate your post and have respect for where you've been, where you are, and hope for where you may be going. At some point, I was introduced to this dude from a nowhere town in Israel who really really liked people who had really really screwed up. I figure I can use a friend like that.

Keep comin' back friend.

Re: TNET: Swinney on being a Christian in critical world: "I don't think you can turn that off"***

May 8, 2020, 9:53 AM

Re: TNET: Swinney on being a Christian in critical world: "I don't think you can turn that off"***

May 8, 2020, 9:53 AM

May 8, 2020, 10:22 AM

Thanks Coach and “God Bless” for your willingness and boldness to share your Christian faith in an un-Christian world. Our prayers are with you and your family and the other coaches and their families during this time of such uncertainty. We appreciate all that you do for Clemson University, the Clemson football team and program as well as for our local community and state. You and Mrs. Kathleen are appreciated !!

May 8, 2020, 10:23 AM

That's why he's hated by many in media. Nothing they despise more than a proud and vocal Christian.

May 8, 2020, 1:06 PM

That's bc it causes them to be reminded of their guilt of knowing they do and say bad things about Dabo without any cause other than he is a good man that knows how to win without the dirty dealings that gives them something to write/talk about that sells!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2020, 10:42 AM

Thank you Jesus for making Dabo our coach! ??????????????????????

Dabo humbly embodies the love and Joy of our Lord! ??????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

May 8, 2020, 5:07 PM

"PRAISE THE LORD" so Good To See folk's take this Blessing and Know that Christ put this Man at Tiger Town

Not a believer, save in the power of faith. Not sure why

May 8, 2020, 10:46 AM

so many that don't believe in a Lord above are made so uncomfortable by something they say doesn't exist?

I don't have to love or believe in the scripture to love and/or believe in a good man, Clemson's coach is that.

More power to him if that's where he finds his.

I'm a believer and try hard to be a good Christian and

May 8, 2020, 11:03 AM

follower of Christ. I'm still growing in that area and have a long way to go. Christ was out of my life in my twenties and part of my thirties. I found my way back into church and glad I did.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm a believer and try hard to be a good Christian and

May 8, 2020, 12:22 PM

I confess those same sins, and my life has never been happier or better since I ask Jesus back into my heart with absolute love and trust in my Lord and savior Jesus Christ. The day that I ask Jesus for a sign that he was real, and that he loved me even the way that I was then, I confess that my entire body literally shook with an uncontrollable energy that left me crying and begging for forgiveness of my sins, and I've never, and will never turn my back on Jesus never again bc Jesus Christ is real, and he will welcome me in the Kingdom of Heaven, and I look forward to the very second that my soul leaves this worn and painful body, and my soul enters the Kingdom of Heaven where the believers are that went before me. Praise God our Lord Jesus Christ Amen!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm a believer and try hard to be a good Christian and

May 8, 2020, 5:12 PM

Thank you for that Blessed Testimony: God heard!!!!!!!

Devil's advocate popping in

May 8, 2020, 11:19 AM

As an agnostic Clemson alum, I wish Dabo would tone down the religious stuff from time to time. I think it's given him great values and certainly wouldn't want to take it out of him because I think it's helped make him who he is, but I don't like reading quotes about "shame on him" if he didn't cultivate his non-religious players' faiths. Outside of the nut-jobs that preach Christianity while being terrible people and money-hungry hypocrites, I have zero problem with christians. My whole family is catholic and that's great. But once people want to push or force their religion on other people, Dabo included, I have an issue. Just let everyone believe what they want to believe and no one tell me what to believe and we are all good.

Dabo can sometimes come off as someone who looks down on non-religious folks as being lost or not yet religious rather than humans who simply don't share his beliefs. I wish he showed a little more understanding from time to time that not everyone has to be a christian and that's perfectly fine. Someone that believes in Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, etc. is no different than him believing in Christianity.

Re: Devil's advocate popping in

May 8, 2020, 11:46 AM

I’m not a tiger fan. I joined the forum because I enjoy college football and respect the heck out of your program. I honestly believe God will give a platform to those bold enough to use it. I believe God has a hand in the tigers success because of Dabo being willing to speak about his faith. I’m not saying God takes sides on Saturday’s but if wins mean a better opportunity for Christ then God has his hand on it.

I "get it", but wanting folks to "believe" what they want...

May 8, 2020, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Devil's advocate popping in ]

then asking Dabo to tone it down seems far more than a mixed message. You don't want to be ~told how to live yours, but ~tell others how they should adjust theirs?

I'm comfortable enough in my own skin to not ask you or he to tone it down.

Good luck, and Go Tigers.

I just don't think religion should be pressed on anybody.

May 8, 2020, 12:11 PM

It's a personal choice to be religious or not. I don't want people to tell me what to believe and I am not telling Dabo what to believe. But, I think it's bad optics to be pushy with your faith and he often toes that line. Frequently those types of people in the public light being outwardly religious are the ones that end up being uncovered to be hypocritical jerks with extremely unchristian actions behind the scenes. Dabo rubs A LOT of people the wrong way that aren't christians, and I wish the head of a team at a public school would be slightly more cognizant of that when he should leading fans from a variety of backgrounds.

I get it, as I said, but never felt that as Dabo's modus...

May 8, 2020, 12:29 PM

not once. It could be just me, but I doubt it.

And yes, you certainly are telling Dabo what he should believe and how he should live it, because he believes in the Lord and all it entails.

As far as I see, it entails living his faith openly as witness? So by suggesting he should tone it down or pointing out other's failures to impeach some Christians and/or Dabo, then you're suggesting he change. Me? More power to him[and you, without mixed messages], if that's his belief/value system, because that's asking nothing of him. Just be him.

Really, it seems people that get rubbed the wrong way by it might be made uncomfortable because they're uncomfortable with their belief system, not someone else's?

Anyway, have a great weekend.

Re: Devil's advocate popping in

May 8, 2020, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Devil's advocate popping in ]

Interesting-I've never felt like Dabo was like preaching down to people-if that is a fair assessment of what you are saying? True-he does get very exuberant after victories but I don't remember him condemning anyone.Religions are systems, cultural practices, or whatever similar term you can think of. They have nothing to do with spirituality which is what I think you are saying. People often confuse the two. At least from observation,Dabo is definitely a Christian(religion) who is very spiritual. What he does is his testament to his beliefs. He does not seem to push things on people but people always no where he stands.

Me neither, he's just passionate about his faith & I laud

May 8, 2020, 12:31 PM

him for it.

Do him, I'll do me.

May 8, 2020, 11:41 AM

Who ever is saying things like Dabo should shut down his faith in our Lord Jesus, with everything that is going on in the world that we live in, those that are doing the talking about Dabo and his faith in God, they should be falling to their knees and pray for Jesus to come into their lives and guide them down the path of Righteousness, and praise God in the name of his son Jesus Christ Amen!!!

May 8, 2020, 12:47 PM

oh good grief. yes, being a christian in a country that is 90% christian has to be a real cross to bear.

obviously he's referring to the "public spotlight" world.

May 8, 2020, 2:01 PM

Which is definitely not 90% Christian unless you're talking about TBN. Everything else is about as secularized as possible. So no, its not the easy road being the public spotlight and espousing Christian sentiment. It'd a whole heckuvalot easier to just be down the middle.

Dabo feels like he is to be working in the world as if he is working for the Lord. Definitely not a coward, bc he knows the bumpy road that it leads to. Simply, there is not another coach in the world that i'd rather have at Clemson than DAbo. He doesn't punk out like most weasily christians do. (including me.)

Re: obviously he's referring to the "public spotlight" world.

May 8, 2020, 5:22 PM

As a Christian Dabo does not have a choice but to be open about his faith. Neither do we. Mathew 10:32-33

I'm thankful Dabo is our coach and

May 8, 2020, 5:42 PM

for me, it is refreshing to have a head coach that is not afraid to state his beliefs.
Personally, I doubt I would be here had. I not asked for his help when I was in college. I would have died from a rock climbing fall without his help ( the fall didn't happen ). As soon as I asked for God's help I was able to get myself out of a life threatening jam.

Re: I'm thankful Dabo is our coach and

May 8, 2020, 6:18 PM

I’m interested. Can you tell more about the rock climbing incident?

Re: I'm thankful Dabo is our coach and***

May 8, 2020, 6:59 PM

May 8, 2020, 11:00 PM

I am also a Christian and Jesus calls on us to spread the Good News about him and God. I know I'm far from perfect in my daily living but I know in my heart and mind that the Lord is with me and I with Him. A lot of non believers think as Christians we are supposed to live an almost perfect life. We turn to Jesus because we are sinners and the Hope and Promise that he gives us. We are still human and fall short of the Glory of God and that is why we need Christ to wash away our sins daily. Don't judge a Christian because he does not do or say what you think he should because that is why we need God's Grace and through our faith in His only Son we are forgiven and will have eternal life. Some are ready to pounce on Christians when we mess up and especially those that are high profile like Dabo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Devil­'s advocate popping in

May 9, 2020, 10:50 AM

Raised Catholic, altar boy, Catholic schools etc etc.

Am now Unitarian, go to church on Sundays. Am also Agnostic, Secular Humanist, Atheist, Freethinker.

Have zero problem with what anybody believes, Unitarian churches accept any belief, encourage doing good and becoming a better person.

Don't matter what Dabo believes, apparently he is a good person, but think he is out of bounds imposing his beliefs on kids who might believe otherwise using tax $.

Now 38% of USA people 18 to 36 are not Christian. Quite likely a few on his teams aren't. Why should they be forced to join in prayers they don't believe in or be seen as outsiders?

He doesn't "impose" and no one is forced to do anything...

May 9, 2020, 11:05 AM

or seen as an outsider.

Plenty of prose going back to FFRF's misguided attacks.

Happy Saturday, and thanks.

May 9, 2020, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm thankful Dabo is our coach and*** ]

That sounds like license to do whatever you wish , as long as you ask for forgiveness, while looking down on other "sinners"

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic