Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Split college season could work, shortened season would hurt Clemson most
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 4,028

TNET: Split college season could work, shortened season would hurt Clemson most

Jul 6, 2020, 8:01 AM

Split college season could work, shortened season would hurt Clemson most

A shortened college football is a possibility at this point, but it would hurt Clemson in more ways than one. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Split college season could work, shortened season would hurt Clemson most

Jul 6, 2020, 8:58 AM

Play the games

Herd immunity will save us all.

Re: TNET: Split college season could work, shortened season would hurt Clemson most

Jul 6, 2020, 9:10 AM

Come on Ryan, why are you only going til mid june the give false numbers? There was more than "600 in mid June". We have constantly broke the previous records almost daily. There was 770 on 6/12 , 799 the next day and by 6/18 there was 987. That entire "mid june" was well over 600. This "my body my choice" crap is absolutely going to lead to no football and it will be everyones fault that wants to downplay this virus and not wear masks or do their part.

Explanation of data

Jul 6, 2020, 10:58 AM

I used this site for my data on the virus: https://www.scdhec.gov/infectious-diseases/viruses/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/sc-testing-data-projections-covid-19

The highest number on there at the time I was writing was 615 new cases in SC on 6/15/2020.

Re: Explanation of data

Jul 6, 2020, 1:05 PM

Why did take so long to post the article?

I like how you criticize one of the authors when you don't

Jul 6, 2020, 1:34 PM

even donate to the site

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

the author is correct for the reported "cases"

Jul 6, 2020, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Split college season could work, shortened season would hurt Clemson most ]

BUT, the remaining numbers are the reported "positive tests". It appears that "cases" are those who are reporting the onset of the disease, i.e., reporting of symptoms. I'm more concerned about and think that we all should be, the positive tests that include symptomatic and asymptomatic people. It's good that people can have it and have little or no effects, but the spread will continue to happen because if you don't know that you have it, you may a spreader or super-spreader because you're going about life taking fewer if any precautions...
Football is headed towards being cancelled altogether because people here in SC continue to believe the herd immunity theory or they simply don't care what the outcomes may be...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2020, 9:12 AM

It’s incredible that the morons in charge are still looking at confirmed positive cases as a guiding statistic. How many reports do we have to see that the virus is weakening to believe it? If you are in an at-risk demographic or are simply scared....then stay home. Otherwise, spot the #### ball.

Jul 6, 2020, 2:20 PM

There are morons in the world. They typically do not understand that we are in the middle of a pandemic and we must respond to it in a manner that will maintain our economy and the lives of our fellow citizens including our football coaches and our staff and our athletes! A young person may have no symptoms and die from a blood clot with this virus. This is a serious disease and I do not want football so bad this season that I am willing to pay with my life and certainly not the life of one of our athletes nor our coaches nor one of the staff nor faculty.

Wear the mask! Wash your hands! Maintain social distancing!

I like the split season concept, but two things come to mind

Jul 6, 2020, 9:38 AM

1) COVID is likely to start killing more people again once the weather turns cool (traditional cold & flu season).

2) I get that money is what drives all of this, but other than the TV money, I don't see college towns doing well with spring games due to weather, other competing events, etc. And for much of the country spring doesn't happen until April/May. You'd be dealing with snow and bad weather in places like Virginia Tech in February, March.

This all just sucks. As I have said repeatedly, pray for an effective treatment. Forget a vaccine, forget herd immunity (we're not going to let that many people die). Let's pray for and work toward a treatment.

Hopefully one lesson taken from all of this is for each person to really examine his/her priorities in life. Is college football worth it all? Why? Dabo does the best job of anyone making college football mean more than just a money-making pastime, but it is really worth all we put into it?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2020, 10:01 AM

The week of Christmas is already encroached upon with bowl games that week. Plus, if you are in the CFP or a bowl game after Christmas, there is travel around or on Christmas Day. So, pushing the season later, doesn't really affect Christmas Day/Week any more than it already does.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2020, 10:19 AM

There is a price to pay for not following the science with COVID-19, and the US is almost alone in having trouble getting it right. Japan has had less than one half of the cases, IN TOTAL, of what we have in NEW CASES every day.

Jul 6, 2020, 10:27 AM

I COULD BE TOTALLY WRONG BUT I WATCHED THAT PRESSER AND WHAT I GOT FROM FOGHORN WAS IF "WE" WANT TO WATCH FOOTBALL WE BETTER GET THE NUMBERS DOWN, NOT THAT THERE WOULD BE NO SEASON. MY TAKE WAS THAT FOGHORN WAS JUST TRYING TO SCARE EVERYONE INTO WEARING A MASK.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2020, 10:35 AM

Leave the Akron game alone . . . . . . .

Jul 6, 2020, 6:26 PM

Dang, want to see the Zips.

These are legitimate concerns, but here's my suggestion

Jul 6, 2020, 12:23 PM

Fewer games could mean more undefeated teams. More undefeated teams means that strength of schedule will be a bigger factor in deciding who is included in the playoffs. Clemson's weak strength of schedule could keep them out of a four-team playoff.

So one possibility would be to expand the playoffs for this year only. Eight slots should be sufficient, and it would only extend the playoffs by a week. I'd even consider giving first round losers a pass to accept bowl bids (if enough bowls are held).

The problem with this is that it could be tough getting the horse back in the barn. I'm not a huge fan of the playoff system, even though Clemson might still have only one championship without the opportunities to prove themselves on the field. I really don't want to see it expanded to eight teams permanently. But if the season is shortened, expanding it for this year only could be the most fair way to handle the potential logjam of undefeated teams.

Jul 6, 2020, 12:40 PM

If it’s a shortened season, there’s only one solution to our SOS problem....put the hammer down. RUTS. Hang 60+ every game. If we’re only playing 8 games, we’re not as worried about starter fatigue so leave the boys in for 3 full quarters.

If there are no out of conf games being played which

Jul 6, 2020, 12:57 PM

Is essentially what the article suggests then there is no such thing as SOS. It’s just a made up number based on past performance and bias - even more so than it already has been. If you’re going to rely on past perf then Clemson OSU and Bama are in and the 4th would have to be fought for by OU,Oregon,UGA, LSU and ND and PSU. I see more like they scrap all playoffs if there is a shortened season or they do a 1 time 8 team where all conf champs are automatic.

Jul 6, 2020, 1:02 PM

For at least the past 2 weeks, the positive numbers in South Carolina have averaged twice as many as the 600 per mentioned in the article. Masks are not a new idea but believing in and following advice in this state is still not flying.

Jul 6, 2020, 1:30 PM

Thank you, Governor, for opening up the beaches and other similar places. Very smart.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2020, 2:14 PM

The governor is smart. We had to reopen businesses but there are stupid people in this state. They do not wear masks in public places, they are stupid or they simply do not care about our state or our nation. They certainly do not care about their neighbors.

Jul 6, 2020, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Split college season could work, shortened season would hurt Clemson most ]

Yep, so many people are now paying the price for premature openings, failure to REQUIRE masks, etc. etc. We see new cases in SC now about triple the number reported when this was apparently written so what will it be in two months??? We all saw first hand how distancing worked to reduce spread and keep the curve flattened and now how quickly lack of it reversed it. And just to be clear, no the virus is not weakening and this has not even been suggested by anyone and no, herd immunity is not in play either. This requires a vaccine and/or a situation where a very large percent of the population (ca 90%) is immune. Even if you assume as some do that the ACTUAL case number is as much as an order or magnitude higher than reported (that is 30 million rather than 3 million cases) you are still at best 10%. And this further assume you acquire immunity when you have the disease the first time which is apparently not the case either based on reinfection rates showing up now.
So no harm in speculating I guess on a football season and more fun that reading COVID numbers for sure. Here's to being hopeful that making the playoffs will be a relevant topic because that would mean there was such a thing in the coming year.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2020, 2:12 PM

I hope we will play at least all conference games and USC. I think ND game will be played as well because ND will also need that game... that would give us a 10 game season.

I do not think full stadiums will be allowed and I think temperature checks will be done at the gates and face masks will be required in the stadium!

Clemson University and the town of Clemson are requiring face masks in public buildings and in public areas where social distancing is not possible! So if you want to watch a football game in person get used to wearing a mask now! If you take it off other than to drink or eat in the stadium you may get removed by security.

If we want to have games at all this fall, wear a mask in public, wash your hands, and maintain social distancing now, get your friends and family to do the same! If anyone you know is positive make sure they quarantine themselves. The science is strait forward and clear, these methods work all over the world, they are not working here because we are not doing these simple things!

if we cant play this season

Jul 6, 2020, 2:14 PM

what makes people think we play next season with out a cure or vaccine as well?

Jul 6, 2020, 2:23 PM

The city of Clemson economy can survive a season with no football fans in town. What the economy cannot survive is a year with no students nor faculty in town!

Wear the masks, wash your hands, maintain social distancing....
Quarantine yourself if positive....do not spread the virus.

Is McMaster a coot or just an idiot

Jul 6, 2020, 2:34 PM

of course if he is a coot he is by definition an idiot

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2020, 4:25 PM

My problem is I don't believe the numbers. I have 2 co-workers that had it and tested 3 times over a month to get a negative. That's 3 weeks past the last day they had a fever. So thats 6 test counted with 4 positives. They should not count the same people multiple times. It skews total cases.

Jul 6, 2020, 6:06 PM

I understand and I am not paying attention to positive tests, I have been paying attention to hospitalizations and that number is steadily increasing in SC even as some recover and go home. Most who have symptoms are not hospitalized. Most have no symptoms at all. Deaths were increasing till the just the last few days and the number that die every day has gone down. ... I hope that trend continues. Today 6 reported dead from yesterday. 1200+ hospital beds COVID patients in SC.

Jul 6, 2020, 6:08 PM

Deaths, which health experts say are a lagging indicator, continued to fall nationally to 3,447 people in the week ended July 5. A handful of states, however, have reported increases in deaths for at least two straight weeks, including Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, Texas and Tennessee.

Jul 6, 2020, 6:29 PM

Rankings would mean something when choosing play-off teams and we start the year number one and hopefully stay there.

Jul 6, 2020, 6:31 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Split college season could work, shortened season would hurt Clemson most ]

I actually think that that is a very good point. However, you also have the other extreme, where some important people are tested daily, and those reports all come back negative. So I think the conclusion we have to come to is that the number of tests given and the number of positive or negative results reported are all skewed to some degree.

I am a proponent of mask-wearing, distancing, and staying at home as much as possible, but I do question the efficacy of mass testing. A test is just a snapshot of that particular second. By the time I get the negative results, I could have contracted the disease. Unless everyone is going to be tested every day, maybe we should save the tests for those showing symptoms or those likely to have been exposed. I know that asymptomatic infected people can pass on the virus, but if you cannot test everyone, what is the point of testing a few without symptoms?

And to find actual trends, maybe we should randomly select 1000 people a day from around the state to be tested. It seems to me that that would give a better picture of the disease in the general population than using numbers from those we already suspect might have it.

I'm not a covid denier. In fact, quite the opposite. But the way we gather and report the statistics sort of bothers my sense of facts and logic.

Jul 7, 2020, 12:18 PM

Testing is a tool, and is useful if any that test positive isolate themselves and contact any that they have been in contact with to get tested. I try not to remove my mask in the presence of anyone that I do not know personally along with their phone number.

Testing, contact tracing and isolation are the tools needed to stop the spread.... wearing masks and hand washing and social distancing only slow the spread.

There will be no college football this year. Accept it***

Jul 7, 2020, 7:12 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2020, 4:04 PM

If there are concerns about having to shorten the season, I suggest they focus on playing all division games only in every conference. Then you can have the conference championship games and the playoff without any problems deciding who to pick. You would only have at most 5 undefeated Power 5 teams, and likely less. Even with 5 you only have to decide which one is left out, which is usually pretty obvious. Yes ND and maybe some non Power 5 schools may also be undefeated, but it doesn't matter. Non Power 5 teams get left out anyway, and ND needs to join a conference or suffer the consequence.

IMO this is how the playoffs should be decided every year, and then you earn it without all the noise and favoritism. No conference ever gets 2 teams, and the talking heads, pundits, voters, polls, committee, etc. get to decide which conference champion is left out. All the other games would be just for fun, and not count in the standings. Then you could forget about the easy cheesy opponents, schedule some really interesting out of conference, or cross divisional matchups, and not have to worry about one of them knocking you out of the playoffs. The stronger teams you schedule, the more likely you are not the one left out.

Replies: 33
| visibility 4,028
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic