Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Elliott says offensive line is playing hard, but has issues to clean up
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

TNET: Elliott says offensive line is playing hard, but has issues to clean up

Oct 27, 2020, 8:01 AM

Elliott says offensive line is playing hard, but has issues to clean up

Tony Elliott says his offensive line continues to play hard, but has some issues to clean up as the Tigers hit the stretch run of the season. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Elliott says offensive line is playing hard, but has issues to clean up

Oct 27, 2020, 8:08 AM

I wonder if play calling is ever part of this analysis? Use of tight ends maybe ?

Re: TNET: Elliott says offensive line is playing hard, but has issues to clean up

Oct 27, 2020, 10:06 AM

I don’t think it has to do with play calling. It’s more about what is or isn’t there. Tight ends are running their routes, but Lawerence is checking down based on the defense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2020, 8:37 AM

Good job of explaining this by Tony. Still concerning that the same group who couldnt stop Liberty could do so much better on our run. I hope we have some things that we are saving for other games that will help with this

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2020, 9:50 AM

Agreed

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We really haven't done well run blocking in a single game

Oct 27, 2020, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Elliott says offensive line is playing hard, but has issues to clean up ]

all season. ETN was just a magician against Miami - he did a lot of that on his own. And of course The Citadel was The Citadel, but outside of that here are ETN's rushing numbers:

Wake - 17 for 102 (6.0 YPC)
UVA - 14 for 73 (5.2 YPC)
GT - 11 for 44 (4.0 YPC)
Cuse - 16 for 86 (5.4 YPC)

58 for 305 (5.3 YPC) in those 4 games and only 6.3 YPC on the season as a whole which is well over a yard below his career average. We all know how amazing ETN is so he's clearly not the problem.

The OL lacks talent

Oct 27, 2020, 11:59 AM

That’s in comparison to Tiger skill players (in fairness you can count on one hand the college players at the same level of TL16 and ETN) and in comparison to Bama, Ohio St, Wisconsin, UGA, and other SEC and Midwest O lines. So what TE is saying is how do we adjust or compensate for this lack of recruited talent. OL - we ain’t too deep.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2020, 9:21 AM

You can do it coach!

Re: TNET: Offense can't impose will on Citadel...

Oct 27, 2020, 10:11 AM

The biggest concern I have is that we couldn't line up at the goal line and just impose our will for 2 yards against the Citadel. We've had to bounce every goal line run outside against every opponent so far. If we can't do that against Wake and the Citadel, how are we going to fare down the stretch?

Oct 27, 2020, 12:31 PM

Agreed and I haven't tried to count this up but sometimes I wonder if we try too hard to rotate folks in and out and mix and match different combinations? Clearly you need to do some of that and prepare for the unexpected but maybe we need to settle on a group and work the devil out of them to get the continuity and comfort in them that they are confident in what the guy next to them will do. I feel like this is more important for an OL than it is for DL where keeping people fresh is so important.

Oct 27, 2020, 12:50 PM

Agreed and I haven't tried to count this up but sometimes I wonder if we try too hard to rotate folks in and out and mix and match different combinations? Clearly you need to do some of that and prepare for the unexpected but maybe we need to settle on a group and work the devil out of them to get the continuity and comfort in them that they are confident in what the guy next to them will do. I feel like this is more important for an OL than it is for DL where keeping people fresh is so important.

We are not doing all that much rotating and/or mixing and matching, I don't think. Maybe one interior and one Tackle for a series or two but that's it. (other than the wholesale substitutions late in blowouts).

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe it's just me, but this sounds a lot like O'Cain

Oct 27, 2020, 4:32 PM

talking about Duke's scheme confusing him in 04?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic