Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Injuries, O-line and lack of running game headline concerns after loss
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

TNET: Injuries, O-line and lack of running game headline concerns after loss

Nov 8, 2020, 2:40 PM

Injuries, O-line and lack of running game headline concerns after loss

There is a lot to unpack and a lot of takeaways from Saturday night’s thrilling game between Clemson and Notre Dame. There are tons of storylines, the main one centering on Clemson’s large injury report, but there are one or two that needed to be noted first.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And lack of coaching to call plays to

Nov 8, 2020, 2:59 PM

get a first down and run out the clock so the Tigers could win

Re: And lack of coaching to call plays to

Nov 9, 2020, 1:04 PM

Ram said:

get a first down and run out the clock so the Tigers could win

Hard to call plays to run clock when the defense is hitting the RB's right after they get the ball in their hands. OL has to do much, much better in run blocking. We definitely haven't run DJ enough, but I think that has to do with his shoulder (from Miami game) not being 100%. I think T Law pulls and bounces a few runs outside as the defense bottles up the interior. Once they have to respect that, ETN & co can run a little better. We haven't had to battle injuries like this in years. I like our chances in a rematch if we can get it. But ND is better than they have been the past 5-6 years so hats off to them.

Re: TNET: Injuries, O-line and lack of running game headline concerns after loss

Nov 8, 2020, 3:03 PM

Good summary, can't disagree with any of this. I say best man up, whether true freshman or otherwise. Nearly threw something at the TV set with the running plays up the middle and during the last drive. Anyone know what became of # 23 on offense?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Injuries, O-line and lack of running game headline concerns after loss

Nov 8, 2020, 3:06 PM

The 0ne aspect of the Clemson season that does not seem to get enough attention is the large chunk plays we are giving up, even to the very weak teams and some critical boner penalties.. Plays that seem to be just coverage busts or mental lapses. My last count before last night of 40 plus was 6 and last night several more. Twice we have had td returns on the same pitch sweep, block kick for TD. Most of the time we can survive these against our ACC crowd but not at end of season. Injuries yes, but there is something else going on.

Nov 8, 2020, 3:09 PM

good article David. Pass blocking by this OL is generally ok. Run blocking is inconsistent. And to be frank the shorter the yardage needed the more likely they are to get stuffed. BC's scoop and score would never have happened if the OL took care of business on either of the first 2 downs. The OL just isnt to the level a CFP team needs to win games

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ETN had a couple of his better runs when

Nov 8, 2020, 3:32 PM

Ticcio replaced the injured Trotter, who replaced Bockhorst. They actually got push on the goal line for the last regulation TD with him in there. He's clearly a high end recruit, what are the chances of more PT for him? Stewart and Putnam appear to be the guys getting pushed around.

DL just needs to get healthy

Nov 8, 2020, 3:53 PM

It’s almost as if having all the players on social media for the first time in a season has affected their focus.... We’ve had more dropped passes, fumbles, offsides, and busted coverage in the last 8 games as we have in the last 8 seasons combined.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The coaches lied to you David, I don't know how else to

Nov 8, 2020, 3:54 PM

put it...Any coach that told you this was a good OL ,much less the best in recent memory, was lying their ### off and anybody still trying to defend that statement after 8 games is an idiot to boot

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope you have the ball$ to ask the tough questions...

Nov 8, 2020, 4:13 PM

... why are you saying this is the best first string OL when nothing we've seen would even suggest that. PLEASE ask that question....

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: I hope you have the ball$ to ask the tough questions...

Nov 8, 2020, 4:59 PM

This!

Ahhh, yes, the orange colored glasses are starting

Nov 8, 2020, 6:10 PM

to come off for some, finally. Not sure why it took 8 games into the season, but alas, it has happened.

Nov 8, 2020, 6:14 PM

The play calling on the final possession of the game was terrible. Gotta figure out how to get a first down to close a game instead of going into predictable runs up the middle that gain nothing. It would be different if we had a good OL, but it’s crazy when you don’t.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I posted weeks ago that Dabo says the o-line is great, but

Nov 8, 2020, 7:49 PM

who do I believe him, or my eyes. David is right on that.

David, you say that,

Nov 8, 2020, 8:04 PM

" it sounds like the tigers came out of the game without any serious injuries" I hope you're not basing that on what the coaches say. They always play down the injuries. I hope you are right though.

Nov 8, 2020, 8:25 PM

Hope coaches are as precise in highlighting and fixing the issues as this article points out so well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lack of running game shoulda been a major concern a month

Nov 8, 2020, 8:36 PM

ago.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

"Nah man, they've just packed the box is all, what do you

Nov 8, 2020, 11:37 PM

know anyway? We scored ___ points, we're fine"

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know, right?***

Nov 9, 2020, 12:06 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

bump

Nov 8, 2020, 9:19 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=27505643#27505643

Nov 8, 2020, 11:20 PM

On the bright side DJU threw for over 400 yards against a very good defense when they knew we couldn’t run the ball. We were 1 dimensional on offense, missing guys and still should have won the game. Even with the poor line play. I think that’s impressive.

Nov 9, 2020, 1:05 AM

Well everything we've seen before (OL can't block anyone, DB's cant cover downfield, etc) get magnified against a top-tier opponent and ND showed that playing as good as they could ever play. And yet - we still could have and should have won the game in regulation even though they whipped our butts physically on both sides of the ball and we haven't seen that since Alabama in 2017. Dabo does what he should do in protecting his players but no one else in their right mind is ever going to confuse this OL with one of the best we have had. If the young guys are better we should play them. You may remember many years ago before we were WRU and our upperclassmen receivers were not productive and the coaches decided to go ahead and play a freshmen that became known as "Nuk." Not saying we have a Nuk in waiting on the OL but when you have arguably the best back in the nation averaging 1 yard per carry you better be looking at something

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2020, 11:36 AM

We talk about next man up and recruiting depth, but that's a waste unless they develop those players. Playing time in blow-outs is great, but it doesn't replace coaching, commitment, and growth. Call me crazy but I'm not sure Clemson has enough depth. The OL is young and learning and can't complete against a strong D-line. Powell and Rodgers have been studs but overall this has not been WRU-level. Ross injury seems to hurt worse than expected. The defense isn't pressuring the QB and the D is consistently letting up chunk plays. If ND receivers had better hands, it could've been ugly. Playing teams like pass-happy Florida in the playoffs smells like a loss. We are going to need to be at 100%. But you know what, I think the best is ahead for these guys. Great teams grow over the course of the season and are championship ready at the end.

Nov 9, 2020, 11:11 AM

You really have to give kudos to the freshman and others who thrust into action. The expectation level is to challenge and be the best, but there's a reason why you normally don't put 18 year old true freshman on the field against the #4 team in the country. These kids are talented and they played great. It will be interesting to flashback in 3-4 years to this game and see the growth.

It's time to go back to a 4-man DLine... NOW!!!***

Nov 9, 2020, 11:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2020, 9:40 PM

This was an honest and accurate article.

Many of us had suspected well before this that our running game is not the best. Even when we got breakout runs in previous games, it had been well after the horizontal passing game opened up the middle. We certainly haven’t overpowered anyone between the tackles this year.

It is pretty amazing that we were in this game, being how we were physically handled in the trenches.

Despite a lot of our whining here and critiquing of our weaknesses (funny how one loss does that), this is more about Notre Dame. It shows how you can win without elite talent at the skill positions by owning both sides of scrimmage on the line. Book also played like a man on a mission to win, it was an outstanding performance. Finally, it was an excellent game plan and coaching by their staff. They made us play their game.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic