Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: College football cupcake games and harsh realities of future
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

TNET: College football cupcake games and harsh realities of future

Jul 21, 2020, 8:01 AM

College football cupcake games and harsh realities of future

Cupcake games might be a thing of the past as college football faces some daunting realities in the age of COVID. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Author.....its The Citadel.....

Jul 21, 2020, 8:09 AM

not the Citadel....minor detail.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NCAA needs to reduce the number of required sports

Jul 21, 2020, 8:11 AM

The finances were a problem for most fbs schools before and they just got a lot worse.

Re: NCAA needs to reduce the number of required sports

Jul 21, 2020, 9:35 PM

This issue for the small schools, most likely, will not go away. In fact, it probably will cause many of them to disappear. Speaking strictly from my own personal opinion, I never thought it to be a good thing to play a weaker competitor. If you win, it's expected. If you lose, or even have a closer game than a huge blowout, you are suspect, and it hurts your reputation, and more importantly, your ranking. Teams with coaches who keep their starters on the field in blow-out games, and who run up big scores, get rewarded, while teams like Clemson, Coached by Dabo, who lets everybody play and get some real game experience, get dissed for not running up the score and padding stats. Darned if you do, and darned if you don't, and the reputation of the ACC as being less than a powerhouse compounds the problem. I just don't want us to cancel "cupcakes" while the AL's and ugay's continue as if it's no big deal. They already have several "cupcakes" with Vandy, Miss St., KY, TN, Ole Miss., etc. who haven't been factors in eons. A lot of rant, but pretty accurate, IMO. Having said all that, I'd be happy to get rid of our "cupcakes", if the others get rid of theirs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then there are schools

Jul 21, 2020, 8:15 AM

Like USuC that pay “cupcakes” huge amounts to come in and embarrass them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Then there are schools

Jul 21, 2020, 9:01 AM

USuC is a cupcake. No shame in being beat by another cupcake.

Yes

Jul 21, 2020, 9:36 AM

But they’re our cupcake ??

Yes they are!

Jul 21, 2020, 10:41 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2020, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Then there are schools ]

But, But, But, they are in the SECheat! How could they be cupcakes?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2020, 9:36 PM [ in reply to Then there are schools ]

That does happen, all too often for them. Personally, I love it when that happens!

Re: TNET: College football cupcake games and harsh realities of future

Jul 21, 2020, 9:45 AM

I could care less about playing games against schools like South Carolina State and The Citadel because we would be leaving after halftime. It would, however, be a sad loss to not be able to watch the SC State Band and the great Summerall Guards from The Citadel.

Leaving after halftime ? ? ? NOT a true fan.***

Jul 21, 2020, 10:34 AM

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Leaving after halftime ? ? ? NOT a true fan.***

Jul 21, 2020, 10:43 AM

No way I go to Clemson and leave before the end of game. Go Tigers!

^ ^ ^ ^ TRUE FAN right here, Valley boy . . . read it ! ! !***

Jul 21, 2020, 10:44 AM

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Jul 21, 2020, 9:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Leaving after halftime ? ? ? NOT a true fan.*** ]

I'm with you! I, almost always, stay 'til the bitter end. The players deserve that, and it's a small thing for me to do. JMHO, plus, I love our Alma Mater!

Jul 21, 2020, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Leaving after halftime ? ? ? NOT a true fan.*** ]

Valley Boy is really Valley coot..

They're used to leave early...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2020, 9:45 PM

For over half their existence, they didn't even know the second half was a part of the game. To them, it only was a continuation of the arsewhipping they were getting in the first half, so why bother with the rest of the humiliation?

Jul 21, 2020, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: College football cupcake games and harsh realities of future ]

How much less? Go back to the Valley man.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2020, 9:51 PM

You are right! I couldn't care less either.

Jul 21, 2020, 9:48 AM

Article doesn't talk much about other reasons to have cupcakes.

1. For Power 5 school, it should be a glorified practice in which the starters get a few series and the backups get experience.

2. Less injuries

3. Another home game to schedule events like Family Weekend and Military Appreiation.

If cupcake games were replaced with another Power 5 opponent, less experience for backups and more chance of injury. (Although better game for the fans)

apparently most CFB fans don't realize what playing a Top 15

Jul 21, 2020, 11:49 AM

schedule does to records.

Over 5 year periods, teams rarely have better than a 60-65% winning record against Top 15 teams. In fact, only the Top 2-3 teams will do better than that. In general most teams hover in the 35-44% winning percentage against Top 15 teams only for this length of time.

So if you're a Top 12-15 team, and played only Top 15 teams, you could expect records like 4-6 or 5-7 on average.

After the Natty year of 2018, and only counting 3 years, Clemson had the Nation's best record against Top 25 teams: 14-1. Bama was next at 14-3. That's two teams that made the CFP all three years, and Bama made the Final game all three years.

If you're not in the Top 2 it gets way worse way quick. For instance take Oklahoma. Between 2016-2018, they were 35-6 (85%). Against Top 25 teams the Sooners were 11-5 or 69%. Against Top 10 they were only 5-3 or 62.5%.

So they went to the CFP 2 of 3 years and won only slightly better than 2 of each 3 against Top 25 teams.

If you go for 5 years (2014-2018), they were 54-15 overall or 78%. Against Top 25 teams they were 16-10, 62%. Against Top 10 they were only 7-5, or 58%.

For Georgia, between 2016 and 2018 they went 32-10 overall, 76%. Between 2014-2018 they went 52-16, 76%.

Between 2016 to 2018, against Top 25 they went 9-8, 53%. Against Top 10 only they went 4-3, 57%.

Between 2014 to 2018, against Top 25 UGA was 13-12, 52%. Against Top 10 only they were 5-3, 63%.

These were two of the winningest programs over the that 5 year stretch with 5 CFP appearances total between 2014 and 2018, and yet combined they were only 57% against Top 25 teams.

Everybody says they want to play the big games, but that's just the fans' ego. College teams really don't fare well against only Top 25 schedules - even the good teams.

Re: apparently most CFB fans don't realize what playing a Top 15

Jul 22, 2020, 4:45 AM

This is the last 5 years, our Tigers are kicking but with best ever overall 69-5 record Beating a tough Alabama 68-6 team by one game. We did have 5 ACC Championships compared to their 3 SEC Championships.

It’s going to hurt if the coots ever beat us again. Relax we’ll be ok for the next 25-30 years.

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

I want to see some actual evidence of the less injury claim

Jul 21, 2020, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: College football cupcake games and harsh realities of future ]

because I can name two future NFL players who ended their season vs a season opening cupcake

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2020, 9:52 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: College football cupcake games and harsh realities of future ]

I liked the comment in parentheses.

Less injuries? Ask Anthony Waters

Jul 22, 2020, 12:14 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: College football cupcake games and harsh realities of future ]

Tearing an ACL vs FAU in 2006 was surely a bitter way to end a career. BTW, the chance of injuries is one reason most NFL players opposed preseason games.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs—Victory in spite of all terror—Victory, however long and hard the road may be..." - Winston Churchill

Re: College football cupcake games & harsh realities-yikes

Jul 21, 2020, 9:49 AM

those pale purple unis are a harsh reality. I know its military day uni but its still garish

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like purple on white

Jul 21, 2020, 5:05 PM

Or even white on purple. All purple is ok, but wish they’d go purple on white sometimes for military appreciation.

Jul 21, 2020, 11:03 AM

I hope AD Dan Rad reads this article. Cupcake games don’t help our strength of schedule. By the way I never leave at halftime.

Jul 21, 2020, 9:53 PM

THIS!

Cupcake games are strictly money driven. All it would take

Jul 21, 2020, 11:11 AM

to end them is for TV to step up and provide a fund to the smaller schools that would distribute the same revenue that these schools take in from those games. Then, the NCAA could legislate out those type of games, and no one would feel bad about the bigger schools only scheduling each other.

Who am I kidding, what this would really do is just send the big schools all scrambling to schedule patsies from the smaller Div 1 conferences, or Big conference creampuffs like Rice, Vanderbilt, Rutgers, etc. But, given how far out in time games are scheduled, trying to predict which big schools will still be a pasty in 10 years is still a little tricky. Going with South Carolina is a better than average bet, though. :)

Re: Cupcake games are strictly money driven. All it would take

Jul 21, 2020, 11:58 AM

Those 2-3 cupcake wins for USuC will probably knock them further away from a bowl game. They won't even sniff one if that happens.

Re: Cupcake games are strictly money driven. All it would take

Jul 21, 2020, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Cupcake games are strictly money driven. All it would take ]

I consider usuc a sure win most every year. Of course they had a small stretch of some success, but it was very short lived, and it really was meaningless for them. Fitting, really. It's fun toying with them by letting them think they have it all figured out, only to ###### it all away, and all they can do is whine and cry about it. Meanwhile, we have become a POWERHOUSE! That is what eats at them so.

while few people would miss the games themselves

Jul 21, 2020, 4:36 PM

It’s not good for small programs to be losing money and probably eventually have to reduce opportunities. Not everyone can play for the elite teams.

The sport needs all levels to remain healthy

Jul 21, 2020, 6:31 PM

I never leave at halftime, regardless of score. However I rarely attend cupcake games anymore. I give the tickets away, record the game, go hunting, and watch it later. Play a decent team, and I'll be there. Doesn't need to be a top 25, but should really be a Power 5. Some Group of 5 teams are OK, but a lot of them are cupcakes too.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic