Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Bring on The Pods? Football in the age of COVID-19
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

TNET: Bring on The Pods? Football in the age of COVID-19

Jul 16, 2020, 1:01 PM

Bring on The Pods? Football in the age of COVID-19

We just want football, and Clemson and the ACC are looking at all options when it comes to playing the 2020 college football season. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eff that noise, I say no thanks.

Jul 16, 2020, 1:15 PM

First, Notre Dame should be left out. Screw them if they don't want to be full members, let them suffer.

Second, the mere fact that there are 3 different pod options shows that geographic pods are difficult to put together, but they are also arbitrary and pointless.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

We already have two pods.

Jul 16, 2020, 1:25 PM

Just play those out, add one or two non-conference games, two pod champs (Atlantic and Coastal) play for the championship. It is not that difficult. ND is out.

The other option should be add ND and an additional team to the conference and make four, four team permanent pods which rotate every year. If ND is included, force them to join as a football member permanently.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Heavyweight fights have their ring walks. CFB has Clemson's grandest entrance in sports."
Chris Fowler

yeah let's do it

Jul 16, 2020, 1:30 PM

it would mean that we are playing football

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I like it, but see no way of having a full football season.

Jul 16, 2020, 1:38 PM

Mostly likely scenario - we start and then shut down again once cases skyrocket on campuses every where.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Many questions... ND, ACCCG, Pod Setup

Jul 16, 2020, 1:38 PM

First, does a loss or win against Notre Dame count towards the total of wins to get the ACCCG? Looking at the three options, Notre Dame's major competitor in Options 1 & 2 is Louisville and for Option 3, Virginia Tech. There needs to be ground rules of what Notre Dame's presence in any of these pod option scenarios mean.

How does a team make it to the ACCCG? Is it the top three teams from each Pod? And the final conference record from each Pod? What happens when there is a tie between Pods B & C? What if Team X has a 7-1 conference record with the loss being to Notre Dame? Or does the two teams that have the two highest rankings in the polls get to go to Charlotte? How crazy would it be to see two teams like Clemson and Louisville in Charlotte playing for the ACCCG when they have historically both been in the Atlantic Division?

IN NO WAY SHOULD NOTRE DAME BE ALLOWED TO REPRESENT ANY POD IN THE 2020 ACCCG UNLESS THEY BECOME A FULL MEMBER OF THE ATLANTIC COAST CONFERENCE FOR AT LEAST A PERIOD OF FIVE YEARS! It is not fair to a team like North Carolina, Louisville, Miami or Virginia Tech to be relegated to third place behind Notre Dame that had a legitimate shot at making the ACCCG this season. If SWOFFORD allows Notre Dame to use this season as a dress rehearsal of being a full member in the hopes they will join in future years, he's more stupid than I already think he is. Notre Dame only does what is in the best interest of Notre Dame - that is why they will always remain independent until the NCAA or the conference commissioners make them.

Interesting that Options 2 and 3 both keep the NC schools together but make everyone else travel. VT has to go to MIA (Option 2) and Louisville (Option 3) just to preserve Tobacco Road.

For Clemson, the easiest schedule is Option 1. The easiest travel for Clemson is Option 1. The best schedule for our resume to the CFP is Option 3.

The next few months is going to be a wild ride.

Re: TNET: Bring on The Pods? Football in the age of COVID-19

Jul 16, 2020, 1:44 PM

Dumbest thing I have seen yet. Get into two directional Divisions ACC like everyone else.

Notre Dame

Jul 16, 2020, 2:29 PM

The ACC is missing a perfect opportunity to force ND to join the conference in football. If all conferences play conference-only schedules, ND should either sit out the 2020 football season since they'd have zero opponents. Or, they should join the ACC in football.

The ACC has them over a barrel right now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Notre Dame

Jul 16, 2020, 3:07 PM

Get over it, Notre Dame does not need the ACC in football.

Without the ACC....who they gonna play this year?

Jul 16, 2020, 4:03 PM

Anderson University?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Notre Dame

Jul 16, 2020, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame ]

No, it's the other way around. The ACC does not need Notre Dame for football or ANYTHING else. As previous posters have said - "poop or get off the pot".

Right! I used to be for the carrot approach to Notre Dame,

Jul 16, 2020, 5:05 PM [ in reply to Notre Dame ]

but not the bend over backwards and sacrifice our own season to help make sure they not only get a season, but they get the exact type of season they want.

Lets add Army and have 4 4-team pods, then a 4-team ACC...

Jul 16, 2020, 2:36 PM

...ACC Championship. How do you have Notre Dame and Clemson NOT play when they were already scheduled and their both national contenders??

At minimum you'd have to let them play each other in an ACC Championship even with 3 pods.

Jul 16, 2020, 2:53 PM

So if fans are limited, will there be tailgating?

Of one thing you can be certain......

Jul 16, 2020, 2:57 PM

any scheduling or rescheduling as long as Swofford is around will not have us playing UNC during the regular season in order to give them a better chance of only having to play us for a championship.

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Jul 16, 2020, 3:05 PM

No question Option 3 is the best both in traditional rivalries and geography.

Jul 16, 2020, 3:38 PM

I like 3 better too but none of them are fair splitting VT and UVa up for the sake of keeping the N.C. schools together. What happens to that game? Heck the N.C schools are split in divisions now to the point UNC and Wake schedule one another non conference to play more often. What difference does it make if they go North/South with the divisions in future and still split the 4 N.C schools. I would put NCSU,Wake and UL in the South with CU,GT,FSU and Miami.

Jul 16, 2020, 3:19 PM

Oh... I thought we were talking about PODS for tailgaiting. You know those portable storage units. To contain the RONA.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This will be a first

Jul 16, 2020, 3:49 PM

Having 3 teams show up in Charlotte to play 1 football game

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Time for ND to poop or get off the pot. Can't include them

Jul 16, 2020, 4:13 PM

unless they commit to be a full-time member in football for years to come. If not, take a hike domers!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should be a complete non-starter.

Jul 16, 2020, 4:15 PM

So we could never go to pods before to allow each school to play rivals at least more often over the years, but now we can so everything can work out fine for Notre Dame?

I never thought I'd say this, hit cancel the season before we do this. Clemson is a favorite. We can play 8 conference games, notre dame, as scheduled, and Soith Carolina. That's 10 games. The only reason for going to pods and playing home and home is to appease Notte Dame. Vote no and cancel the season before doing that.
And here's the real kicker, Notre Dame will expect to compete for the conference title. Screw that!!!!!!!
If some acc teams can add Notre Dame to help them rangle up 9 games, fine. But this is a predicament Notte Dame put themselves in.
And the whole thing is crazy. Maybe they should have joined a conference and they wouldn't be scrambling and wanting everyone else to play home and away and twice in the same season. Just screw them and tell them to come up with the yames they need to make a season.
NO PODS, NO PLAYING A TEAM TWICE, NO HOME WND AWAY. We have 8 conference games and Notre Dame.

Pardon all the typos but I am posting on my phone, which I

Jul 16, 2020, 4:43 PM

don't usually do.

This is probably the stupidest thing I've ever read

Jul 16, 2020, 7:25 PM [ in reply to Should be a complete non-starter. ]

I don't like it, so cancel the season. Brilliant

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Jul 16, 2020, 4:52 PM

Most people aren't this desperate for CFB. If we have to play in pods with 10-15% attendance, is it really the best thing to be doing?

If CFB gets delayed, that will be even less games. No games will be played after Thanksgiving this year

Correct, and if the season is that far removed from a real

Jul 16, 2020, 4:59 PM

season, then no way would prospects like T. Lawrence and Etienne play and risk injury.

Jul 16, 2020, 6:56 PM

I fear the Ivy League has gotten it right---no Fall sports. Given how the disease bounces around, having any sort of season is Russian roulette with potentially calamitous consequences. It seems to me that the only way anything works is to do it like the NBA, and that is inconsistent with the life of student athletes.

What is the objective of pods?

Jul 16, 2020, 11:19 PM

If to reduce distance how is 3 hours on a bus better than 3 hours on a plane?

If we end up with a “virtually” conference only season we need to leave ND completely out since they are not a full football member - unless they finally agree to be one.

Re: What is the objective of pods?

Jul 17, 2020, 9:03 AM

What’s the deal with wanting to play schools in close proximity to each other? The team is either getting on a bus or a plane to travel to the game? What’s the difference traveling by bus vs plane with respect to COVID?

Jul 17, 2020, 10:34 AM

Cool! Play Funkytown!

Jul 18, 2020, 11:41 AM

Yep, no real way to get a split purely by geography - 3 is the closest you can get I believe. I don't really like playing the same teams over and over but you could play out the pods, then take the 3 winners plus 1 (highest ranked 2nd place team) and have a two-game ACCSG playoff if you're just looking to get in more games.
OR just have Clemson play ND and be done with it. As of now, assuming any sort of length to the season and any sort of normal playoff, the loser of that game has little shot at making the playoffs due to the rest of the SOS. It also goes without saying that neither team can lose any other game and still make it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic