Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Brent Venables needs more out of his defense: "We have just got to play better"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

TNET: Brent Venables needs more out of his defense: "We have just got to play better"

Aug 12, 2019, 7:01 AM

Brent Venables needs more out of his defense: "We have just got to play better"

Brent Venables needs more out his defense. More physicality. More consistency. More disciplined. Clemson scrimmaged inside the stadium Saturday, and the Tigers’ defensive coordinator said he needs more out of his defense as they ramp up preparations for the August 29th season opener against Georgia Tech. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Brent Venables needs more out of his defense: "We have just got to play better"

Aug 12, 2019, 8:19 AM

To read his actual comments, it sounds a lot more positive than the headline. Defensive coaches don't get much more positive than this in the preseason.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Brent Venables needs more out of his defense: "We have just got to play better"

Aug 12, 2019, 10:03 AM

I saw the interview, and in true Venable fashion he is not pleased with where they are right now, meaning yes they look good in places, but all areas need improvement! Yes he praised these individuals in the article but he also said they all need to improve. Our starting backers are strong, Simmons an Skalski are animals, and Chad is a 5th year elevated 5 star (was elevated to 5 star after shining at the opening) and has lots of experience! DBs will shine, DEs will shine. Brent isn't going to say a lot with praise as he keeps stoking the fire to keep his boys motivated! We will be fine on defense, I look forward to seeing the next young star to step out! XT will be a monster this year. Looking forward to the excitement! Go Tigers!!!

yeah I watched the video before I read Tigernet's take

Aug 12, 2019, 12:57 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Brent Venables needs more out of his defense: "We have just got to play better" ]

the headline is not at all what he said. That was not his tone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2019, 8:34 AM

:) I never really worry about our D anymore. CBV seems to be excellent in game prep, mid-game adjustments, etc. I think most teams try to establish the RUN, and our D is excellent at stopping that. Only when they have to resort to a pass-first offense do we seem to have some issues. That's how teams like UofSuc, Duke, and SU gave us fits, as they all started with a pass-first offense and did not attempt to really run the ball at all. Our secondary struggled at times, but our run defense shut them down very well.

Aug 12, 2019, 8:38 AM

I think this season we will see the back 7 as the most improved part of the team. There was room for improvement....

Aug 12, 2019, 8:38 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Brent Venables needs more out of his defense: "We have just got to play better" ]

I think this season we will see the back 7 as the most improved part of the team. There was room for improvement....

Aug 12, 2019, 9:55 AM

Simply coach speak. None of the coaches are ever going to say that the players have arrived and there's no need for improvement. Even Isaiah Simmons has room for growth. As does XT. I'm sure Christian Wilkins wasn't as good in 2015 as he was in 2018.

Aug 12, 2019, 10:08 AM

Crack the whip BV

“We didn’t play that great, we just stopped...

Aug 12, 2019, 10:28 AM

the best offense in CFB 10 times, forced 10 punts, stopped them on the goal line, and had a pick six.”

LOL gotta love it

Aug 12, 2019, 10:30 AM

With the lack of experience and depth, they’ll have some busts. That’s ok because the O will have to carry them the through September anyway. More so the depth- we have the talent but lack game experience... very similar to 2015.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love Coach Venables!***

Aug 12, 2019, 11:45 AM

Where are our weaknesses?

Aug 12, 2019, 12:34 PM

Last year I could look at our defense and see LB as a potential weakness. It turned out to be not much of one, but at least was a possibility.

Where are the weaknesses this year? DT and Safety depth may be the best I can come up with. Thoughts?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2019, 1:37 PM

BV knows what he wants out of his guys, and what he will have to trust them in game time situations. BV is as good or better than anybody in the coaching business, and he knows how to get what he is looking for out of his guys, or guess what, he will go through every player that is available to him to get what he needs to have from them, and it doesn't matter if that player just got there today bc, he don't give a crap about somebody saying but but I've been here longer bc, if that's so, well then he wants more out of them right now, not tomorrow, not the next snap, but right now for every snap, and BV don't care if that player is a true Freshman or a red shirt Senior. BV admits that he would rather play the most experience guys, but to get the job done the way he wants it done, he won't hesitate to play a true Freshman, and I love that about him...

I say to myself all the time that we were so lucky that Dabo went after BV at the right time when he saw trouble brewing in Oklahoma when Bob Stoops brought back his brother Mike Stoops as Co DC at Oklahoma, that is what we like to call striking when the iron is hot, and I'm absolutely sure that a lot more Tiger fans other than myself has thought about that same thing during these year with BV being our DC bc, if Bob Stoops hadn't brought Mike back as CO DC, BV would have never left Oklahoma, and we wouldn't have the best DC in the country as our DC, Thank God that Dabo was on top of what was going on in Oklahoma when we badly needed a DC worth his salt at that time after one of the most embarrassing losses we had ever suffered in a Bowl game...

I'm sure that Dabo was making calls and talking to people that was close to the situation happening with BV, the DC at Oklahoma, and he learned that BV wasn't happy at that time. BV didn't like having the head coaches brother having as much or more power than he did over his defense, and there couldn't have been a better time for Dabo to strike and bring the best DC in the country to Clemson, and we all know the rest of the story, or a good Clemson fan should know the whole story!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2019, 3:56 PM

I still am upset Tre Lamar got bad advice and left. He would have had a monster season in the middle.

Aug 12, 2019, 9:45 PM

Great kids like Tre Lamar who are very long shots at a meaningful NFL payday are just better off with more college life exp

Aug 12, 2019, 9:49 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Brent Venables needs more out of his defense: "We have just got to play better" ]

Great kids like Tre Lamar who are very long shots at a meaningful NFL payday are just better off with more college life experience, more classes, advanced degree, fun that comes with staying in school. He can take his long shot at a long NFL career after he’s finished with his college eligibility. He is a great athlete and a great football player, but meaningful pay days for slow (by NFL standards) linebackers in the NFL are very rare.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic