Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: NFL.com scouting report of T.J. Green
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

FB Update: NFL.com scouting report of T.J. Green

Feb 26, 2016, 8:14 AM

NFL.com scouting report of T.J. Green

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

T.J. Green may be a bigger loss than Kearse

Feb 26, 2016, 8:29 AM

I thought it was a horrible decision for Green to go early, but he has a solid film. I know he blew a few deep coverages that really cost us, but he will be missed. Next guy up though.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Both are big but both are replaceable.

Feb 26, 2016, 8:58 AM

Sometimes new blood is a good thing.

Re: Both are big but both are replaceable.

Feb 26, 2016, 10:38 AM

Maybe, but it will be hard to replace the size and speed of the safeties we have been used to the last few years. I for one am going to miss both of them and the combined 13ft of beasts we had hanging around in the backfield.

I know a lot of people feel like they loafed off and trailed off at the end, and maybe they did to a degree but they both saved our butts many times. We don't know if they were facing injuries or what but they were the heart and soul and brought the passion when we needed it.

Re: T.J. Green may be a bigger loss than Kearse

Feb 26, 2016, 10:58 AM [ in reply to T.J. Green may be a bigger loss than Kearse ]

IMO, it's a terrible idea for any Clemson Tiger to leave early, and my opinion on that is this. Without any doubt I'm all In Clemson above all. We pay our coaches some of the best wages in college FB, and we have one of the best coaching staffs in college FB. Clemson athletics spends tons of money to recruit at a very high level for one reason only, and that is for Clemson to win games and to win championships. Now if Kevin Dodd, Shaq Lawson, Jayron Kearse, T.J. Green, and Mackensie Alexander would have stayed for their final year, how much better would our chances have been to play for and win the National Championship. Those guy could have went to the NFL from a NC team with one more year of experience that NFL coaches and owners are asking for. Now, if any of those guy don't make it in the NFL, here is what WILL be said from a lot of people in the ears of future recruits. All those guys would have been big time NFL players if they would have went to Bama, OSU, FSU, and so on. Not once will it be said, if they would have stayed at Clemson and played their senior year, they would have had more experience and a better chance at making it in the NFL. We need some sort of a mandatory class at least twice for all junior players that will show these guys the actual Facts and the percentages of NFL success between staying or foregoing their senior year of college FB. Hire an X agent and X NFL coach to lay all the facts out for our juniors in 2 classes during FB season of their junior year. At least they will be fully informed by experts that has nothing to lose or gain before they decide either way.

PS, I know that Clemson like all other schools has a very special talent that can make it in the NFL after their junior year. But not as many as we have leaving since Dabo has been bringing in Good or better talent.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2016, 12:36 PM

If you have the chance to make first round money you go. I want Clemson to retain top talent as much as you do, but these athletes only have a finite of time to play at the next level. If you grade out high then you should go. I think Dabo knows that. Plus, if a guy gets injured his senior year because he stayed then the dream is over (look at Marcus Lattimore).

Take the money early if you can, and just appreciate the time and what they gave to the University.

Feb 26, 2016, 1:49 PM

What if they get an injury the first day of practice, or driving down the street that would end FB for life. Do they get enough or more money than they could earn in a lifetime with a Clemson degree.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

stop it, you're being greedy***

Feb 26, 2016, 2:10 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2016, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Re: T.J. Green may be a bigger loss than Kearse ]

Considering they will get their bonus money even if they get hurt, and Clemson will allow them to finish their degree, they will always make more by going pro before getting hurt.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

In that case, they will have the money to pay for

Feb 26, 2016, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: T.J. Green may be a bigger loss than Kearse ]

the remaining credits to finish the degree, which means, their signing bonus is gravy on top of what they will earn with their degree.

we all go to college to prepare ourselves for a chosen profession. for most scholarship athletes, they are preparing themselves to become professional athletes or many want to move into a career related to sports on some level. we all know the statistics of becoming a professional athlete at the highest level, but there is so much more available to these athletes whether they complete their degree or not. in business, Mac Alexander will get opportunities that batchelor, master and PH.D degreed individuals won't get a sniff at... fairly or unfairly, college and pro athletes get the benefit of the doubt in life as well as in sports...

for some athletes, going pro early is not in their best interest, but for others it is; you just have to be real about which individual you really are...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2016, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: T.J. Green may be a bigger loss than Kearse ]

Yeah... you're way off base.

First of all, yes some guys shouldn't leave early, but if you are going in the top 2 rounds, which many of our guys are, you should leave. The risk of regressing/injury is too great to pass up that opportunity.

Secondly, the NFL doesn't give a crap where you played college ball. If a player doesn't make it, that is not going to reflect poorly on the school they went to.

Don't be greedy... those guys took Clemson to the mountain top, they have earned their paydays.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

Re: FB Update: NFL.com scouting report of T.J. Green

Feb 26, 2016, 11:44 AM

I thought that Green got there late numerous times, as he seemed to react too slowly. That will hurt him in the NFL as the guy will be long gone by the time Green shows up.

Now when he hit someone, and he could close in a hurry, then he hit like Ben Boulware does - well almost anyway. Those guys felt the pain when Green got to them. But with that said - he should have stayed one more year as I don't think he's ready for prime time.

Feb 2, 2014, 9:31 PM

I wish that these guys would realize that leaving early really hurts them (I know that they may have unique circumstances and they do risk career-ending injuries by staying) but it seems like the guys leaving early are listening to agents that don't have their best interests at heart. If you're not a first rounder, just getting to a training camp doesn't mean much.

The coaches are very wary of advising them to stay (you just know they must be biting their tongues when they say they are supporting their decisions!)

Feb 26, 2016, 7:18 PM

That is mostly of why I say hire an X agent, and a X coach, and make it mandatory that all juniors have to attend at least two classes before they play the coot game. The X agent and X NFL coach has nothing to gain or lose by telling them the truth about the agents, and how much time the coaches will give them to prove they belong in the NFL. We have seen plenty of our players sign free agent deals to get kicked around from team after team until it's just over for them!!!

Feb 26, 2016, 8:04 PM

Sigh.....

Size IS great but look at Brian Dawkins.

Feb 26, 2016, 12:45 PM

I heard him say the other day he was 5'10" or maybe 5'11". He was one of our best if not the best safety of all time. He was ridiculous. I remind myself of this every time I think we won't be as good from losing the size we had

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

He played in a different era***

Feb 26, 2016, 1:24 PM

Re: He played in a different era***

Feb 26, 2016, 2:52 PM

Dawk didn't play in the 40's or 50's, ten years ago is not a different era... lol

5'10 to 6'2 for a safety is not a size differential of significance when the skills are identical; there just happen to be more 6'2 corners and safeties in the game than in the past. Darrelle Revis is 5'11 and considered THE premiere corner in the game right now...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah if you can lay wood, you'd be a great Safety in any era***

Feb 26, 2016, 3:43 PM

Then TJ should be fine***

Feb 26, 2016, 5:46 PM

Re: He played in a different era***

Feb 26, 2016, 9:24 PM [ in reply to He played in a different era*** ]

A more run-first era?

Kinard #1 safety Dawk #2***

Feb 26, 2016, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Size IS great but look at Brian Dawkins. ]

IMO Green left too early. Is Kearse hurt?

Feb 26, 2016, 7:09 PM

Green needs more time to develop. He is too raw and not a M.Bryant with freakish abilities. One more year would have made him much better and more money.

Kearse has the potential to be elite but something was wrong with him for about half the year. I think it's something in his legs. At the begining of the year he was chasing down that Louisville player. At the end he couldn't catch a not so fast Derrick Henry..... Once he heals he'll be good but he probably lost a good chunk of draft stock with this decreased production. He COULD have been a first rounder but he'll still get his money.

Alexander, Dodd, Lawson all made the right decision.

Feb 27, 2016, 2:06 PM

Waiting gives the NFL, researchers, and doctors one more to try and solve the "head-collision" problem. "Bringing wood" and money may not be enough from age 40 to 80, when the player suffers from the football version of "dementia pugilistica"!?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic