Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TCI Writer Stupidity
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

TCI Writer Stupidity

Nov 23, 2019, 7:47 PM

Here's a good statement:

While on campus, Morehead had a chance to conversate with safeties coach Mickey Conn and defensive coordinator Brent Venables.

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2019/11/23/4-star-recruit-wowed-by-clemson-visit/

Conversate? Wow! What has this world of English speaking people become? What does this say for our educational system?

I'm incredulous that this sort of language has been propagated by a Clemson-associated business.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. “Converse” is the proper verb ***

Nov 23, 2019, 7:48 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

In this situation, I think "holla at" is the proper phrasing

Nov 23, 2019, 7:50 PM

While on campus, Morehead had a chance to "holla at" safeties coach Mickey Conn and defensive coordinator Brent Venables.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TCI Writer Stupidity

Nov 23, 2019, 7:51 PM

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conversate

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/conversate

Nov 23, 2019, 7:54 PM

Definition of nonstandard
1: not standard
2: not conforming in pronunciation, grammatical construction, idiom, or word choice to the usage generally characteristic of educated native speakers of a language

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nonstandard

“Nonstandard” in both references ... important word.***

Nov 23, 2019, 7:55 PM [ in reply to Re: TCI Writer Stupidity ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Nov 23, 2019, 7:57 PM [ in reply to Re: TCI Writer Stupidity ]

HISTORICAL USAGE OF CONVERSATE
The use of conversate has soared since 2000, mostly in speech and in written records of speech. The term is a back formation from conversation, created by dropping the suffix -ion, and adding -e, to produce a verb form.
Since it has essentially the same meaning as the more common and frequently used verb converse, the term conversate has been condemned in some circles as an unnecessary nonword. And, because the term occurs mostly among Blacks and Latinos, some discussions have become heated and impassioned, turning the word into a badge (both positive and negative) of a person’s class and education.
Conversate reminds us that discussions about modern English must take into account the different types of English spoken in our diverse culture, rather than fixating on “correct” formal usage. When all is said and done, however, the term broadly remains nonstandard English.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/conversate

Nov 23, 2019, 7:55 PM

One thought. If you don’t like a site, especially a free one, perhaps you should stay the F off it. Someone gives you something for free which you obviously visit and all you can do is complain

Nov 23, 2019, 7:58 PM

Delighted you have only one thought. Thanks.

Nov 23, 2019, 8:27 PM [ in reply to Re: TCI Writer Stupidity ]

You sure get upset easily. Your one thought could have probably been better said under your breath.

Nov 23, 2019, 8:04 PM

Writing, in any form, on the internet, has run unchecked for two decades now.

“I’m incredulous “

While grammatically proper. Rolls off the tongue like sand spur spaghetti.

Just sayin’

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Nov 23, 2019, 8:09 PM

Definition of incredulous
1: unwilling to admit or accept what is offered as true : not credulous : SKEPTICAL

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/incredulous

Point taken - however; I do not want to admit that this is where we have landed as an educated society, so perhaps the use of the word is correct.

The internet has brought to light some of the failings of

Nov 23, 2019, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Re: TCI Writer Stupidity ]

education in 'Murica.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Here's a good statement:

While on campus, Morehead had a chance to conversate with safeties coach Mickey Conn and defensive coordinator Brent Venables.

Conversate? Wow! What has this world of English speaking people become? What does this say for our educational system?

I'm incredulous that this sort of language has been propagated by a Clemson-associated business.

The amount of grammatical errors on that site is astounding

Here's a good statement:

The amount of grammatical errors on that site is astounding

Nov 23, 2019, 8:28 PM

Nothing new for their articles. Horrendous grammar in nearly everything they do it seems. I can’t believe people with such terrible skillsets are doing something that could be called journalism. While it is indeed free, that doesn’t excuse such unprofessional style

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is a word that sounds at once both pretentious...

Nov 23, 2019, 9:03 PM

and idiotic. Oh well, what do you expect in a society where the gatekeepers of proper grammar say things like this:

“Conversate reminds us that discussions about modern English must take into account the different types of English spoken in our diverse culture, rather than fixating on “correct” formal usage.”

That’s sad.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Conversate is to you as Moist is to others?

Nov 23, 2019, 9:09 PM

I do commend you, ColumbiaTiger66 for getting TCI some hits today. Good job! FO SHO.

umm..GO TIGERS!!!

Are you a writer for TCI?

Nov 23, 2019, 9:16 PM

Sounds like you’re repping them.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic