Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Suspense...you have it now
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Suspense...you have it now

Oct 30, 2020, 11:45 AM

With TL out, combined with our mediocre o-online play thus far, it will be interesting to see DJ complete passes using correct reads of coverage. I agree with many of you in that we will call an abundance of screen passes to the outside. Etienne will encounter an often loaded box. Can our wife receivers get separation? Can Ladson catch the deep ball (he will have chances)? Can our oline block in the pass and run? I’m intrigued.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our run blocking can always be better but to see these

Oct 30, 2020, 12:07 PM

kinds of posts about our offensive line, one would think we have a bunch of scrubs playing and that Trevor Lawrence wins games by himself. Nothing could be further from the truth. Our pass blocking is among the best in college football - that's why Trevor has enough time to look off safeties and go through his progressions to find the best receiver on any given pass play. That doesn't happen with a bunch of scrubs blocking for him.

I think part of the reason a lot of folks on here think our run blocking is so bad is because the defenses we face continually load the box to take away our run game. When this happens there are more defenders than we have blockers and the results are very short run gains. It is understandable why our opponents would force us into a passing game - even against a guy like Trevor Lawrence at QB. As the saying goes - one of 3 things will happen when a QB throws a ball and 2 of them are not good for the offense. So it makes sense that most teams will try and force us into a passing game rather than having Etienne run up and down the field on them all day long.

Here's the truth - there is not another offensive line in the ACC that I would rather have than our own - including Notre Dame.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen***

Oct 30, 2020, 12:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our run blocking can always be better but to see these

Oct 30, 2020, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Our run blocking can always be better but to see these ]

The style of blocking that we are now teaching, which is catered to an RPO offense, doesn't have linemen reaching LBs on blocks a lot of the time unless the LBs are blitzing.

This means that as long as the opposing LBs are disciplined and find the right hole, they usually have a guy waiting for our RB.

ETN can frequently make that first guy miss and pick up some yardage, but when he can't it looks like the play was poorly blocked.

Many times when teams are geared to stop the run, we are trying to block 7 with 6 or 6 with 5. Whether or not we are having a lot of success comes down to not only every blocker picking up his assignment, but also hoping the free guy is out of position. Many times we see the backside DE left unblocked and if he doesn't hold for a split second to honor TL, the he makes a play on our RB before he even gets going.

Re: Suspense...you have it now

Oct 30, 2020, 12:12 PM

Other than the seemingly private question about your wife, I too am interested in your questions related to how everyone rallies around DJ to help the game slow down for him.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic