Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"Study Hall" in downtown Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

"Study Hall" in downtown Clemson

Nov 13, 2018, 12:28 PM

How does this place survive? Open 3 days a week? Waste of prime space really.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Study Hall" in downtown Clemson

Nov 13, 2018, 12:31 PM

I'm convinced that its a front for something honestly

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the smoking pig is

Nov 13, 2018, 12:32 PM

doing just fine being open a few days a week.. and the Study Halls sells boatloads of alcohol.. an item you make much larger profits off.

Nov 13, 2018, 12:36 PM

All I can tell you is 45 yeas ago the Study Hall had great pizza, especially mushroom.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2018, 3:18 PM

TRUTH. They pilled on the toppings, you got the full measure of each topping. They also had a great roast beef sandwich. Pardon me while I go get something to eat.

And Italian subs with marinated onions.***

Nov 13, 2018, 6:51 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2018, 12:38 PM

My roommate worked there for about 2 years. He mentioned several times that they barely break even. Not sure if he just heard that from another employee or someone who actually knew, so take it for what its worth.

3 days a week or not, they are popular as all hell

Nov 13, 2018, 12:40 PM

They are making PLENTY of money. I personally hate the place, but they are extremely popular with undergrads, frequently have lines and a cover to get in, and their drinks are priced higher than pretty much every other bar downtown. They have a different vibe (way more modern) than any other place on College Ave.

I like the vibe of the place except...

Nov 13, 2018, 12:46 PM

everything is sticky from drink spills. If I stand in one place for too long, my shoes will be so stuck to the floor as to require extra effort to unstick my shoe from the floor. I noticed the same phenomenon with the stickiness of the bar. I was sitting at a table once, and noticed that the bottom of the table was dripping on my boots, but here was no standing liquid on top of the table!? That being said, I have had some cool conversations with the people there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

Stickiest Floors Ever

Nov 13, 2018, 12:54 PM

Those floors have been sticky for 45 years!

Re: Stickiest Floors Ever

Nov 13, 2018, 1:21 PM

Seems to me that it's disingenuous to say this place was Established in the 60's when it was an actual bookstore for the entire time I was in undergrad.

Nov 13, 2018, 12:54 PM

My OCD always enjoyed watching the little food elevator going back and forth from the upstairs kitchen to the checkout while anxiously awaiting my favorite roast beef and swiss.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Study Hall" in the late 70's had great beer & Pizza

Nov 13, 2018, 2:45 PM

My father wondered how they charged me to go to study hall. He thought study hall should be free.

Nov 13, 2018, 3:22 PM

A million years ago they had the best roast beef sandwiches in the world and they delivered.......and they took checks!!!

Nov 13, 2018, 3:47 PM

Its pretty easy. They have steep prices for drinks, and a better selection of liquor. They have a full dance floor and "rave" area, and they up the bar for atmosphere quality when it comes to Clemson.

3 days a week? Thats also easy. If they are only open 3 days a week, they significantly reduce their overhead on their variable costs. They dont have to pay their hourly employees, dont have to pay for electricity, have more control over their inventory, have more control over their utility usage, and 3 days gives people less time to tear up the place (reducing risk factor due to damages).

The days that are slow, they dont operate as they would literally be throwing away money on employees with no work to do, and music that isnt being heard by anyone.

It would be more expensive for them to stay open every day with minuscule business, than for them to only be open for 3 days. It may seem like being open every day captures more business, but it doesnt.

Nov 13, 2018, 6:59 PM

T_I_P said:

How does this place survive? Open 3 days a week? Waste of prime space really.

We like parts of it. Their tacos are actually pretty good. We usually go earlier than the average student to get a bite to eat to start off our night. When we do that, they are empty, while TTT and TDs are hopping. Place blows up around 11-midnight. We’ll walk out from roofbar and wonder where all these people came from. That said, only rooftop bar in clemson which is cool and you can see DV from there. Charleston Pub is new this year and pretty neat too, but the first few times we went in there the service was awful, training new staff I guess. I think study hall makes it because there is nothing else like it in clemson. I’ll tel you what frustrates me is everything downtown closes over winter, and reduced hours in the summer. Clemson ain’t a tiny town anymore when students are gone. Hate that I can’t go downtown and grab a beer over Christmas while students aren’t here

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic