Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Story on why Jenkins chose VCU over Brad..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Story on why Jenkins chose VCU over Brad..

Sep 20, 2015, 6:55 PM

http://zagsblog.com/articles/deriante-jenkins-to-vcu/

Really shocked that we lost him after recruiting him for so long and Will Wade just got the VCU job and in few months can take a pivitol recruit away. Are the new facilities going to change this for Brad?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not encouraging.***

Sep 20, 2015, 6:58 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I fear some hard decisions are going to have to be made

Sep 20, 2015, 7:36 PM

soon if Clemson basketball is ever going to be at least competetive again

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I fear some hard decisions are going to have to be made

Sep 20, 2015, 7:39 PM

Again?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: I fear some hard decisions are going to have to be made

Sep 20, 2015, 7:40 PM [ in reply to I fear some hard decisions are going to have to be made ]

Article doesn't really delineate what the reasons were for hzis NOT picking Clemson , just that he went with VCU because of the relationship with Wade and his fit with their style of play .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

"style of play" ?***

Sep 20, 2015, 7:46 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "style of play" ?***

Sep 20, 2015, 9:06 PM

Yeah the style where the offense actually does something.

We're already competitive

Sep 25, 2015, 4:00 PM [ in reply to I fear some hard decisions are going to have to be made ]

What we want is to be at the top of the heap

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is your definition of competitive?

Sep 25, 2015, 4:16 PM

Not even making the NIT? Only making the NCAA with OP's recruits?

Re: What is your definition of competitive?

Sep 25, 2015, 10:07 PM

Brownell's teams have over achieved every year, besides the year when Jennings and Booker were seniors and we had 0 juniors (not Brownell's fault either).

And yes, he coached a team of OP's recruits to the NCAA Tournament. My guess is Purnell wouldn't have made the NIT with those same players that season, had he stayed.

under what basis? He made 5 straight tournies before leaving

Sep 25, 2015, 10:11 PM

Sorry but Purnell >>>>>> Brownwell while at Clemson. If you want to argue that then you are just an idiot with nothing to back it up

Re: under what basis? He made 5 straight tournies before leaving

Sep 26, 2015, 12:56 PM

Under the basis of knowing something about basketball. Think about Purnell's style with the players that he would've been left with. There's a basketball reason as to why he bailed when he did, not just his wife's orders.

And no, he made 3 straight NCAA Tournaments. No idea where you got 5. Could've been 4, but we blew a 17-0 start in 2006-07. Clemson had 4 in a row, but because of Brownell.

Re: Story on why Jenkins chose VCU over Brad..

Sep 20, 2015, 7:38 PM

Meh. No different than Dabo missing on 4* OL or QB who wants to play in pro style system.

Sep 20, 2015, 8:19 PM

We aren't even offering a vast majority of top 100 recruits. Brownell is a good defensive coach, but let's face it: he can't recruit at a level sufficient to even put up a fight in the ACC. Time to go. He'd be a great assistant but he's not a guy under whom we will have major success.

Sep 20, 2015, 8:56 PM

Please name the last 5 clemson bball signees who were listed as 100 players. Go back thru a few coaches.

Then report back.

At least all of us will be more educated about Clemson basketball than the Tnet basketball posters of last 7 yrs.

Sep 20, 2015, 10:31 PM

Pretty difficult to sign them if you don't offer them. This isn't anything new with Brownell. But, forgive me for any sort of ambition or hopes for success for our basketball team.

Nobody expected Clemson to sign CJ Spiller. We weren't a real competitor nationally, right? We couldn't compete with the big boys, right? But yet, our coaches' persistence and salesmanship managed to bring in one of the finest players Clemson has seen. So let me apologize, once more, for hoping that Clemson could hire a coach who could bring life and a new culture into a program which has the potential to be good.

Exactly, I don't mind swinging and missing but you have to

Sep 25, 2015, 3:05 PM

step up to the plate and at least try your best.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We've swung and missed on a bunch of high level guys

Sep 25, 2015, 3:18 PM

Brandon Ingram, Jawon Evans and Perry Dozier just last year. All had offers

Sep 22, 2015, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Story on why Jenkins chose VCU over Brad.. ]

I honestly don't get the constant bashing of Brownell's recruiting. It seems awfully misinformed.

Take the transfers into account. I think every single one of them should be considered a "Top 100"-type recruit. One actually was, and that's Shelton Mitchell. But all 3 I expect to have a major impact on our program.

Also, throw in Grantham, Hudson, Blossomgame (4 years ago), Djitte, Devoe...and you've got some pretty good signees there that we beat some decent schools to get. Once again, I don't really understand the bashing. Obviously we're not signing Top 50 guys like Duke, UNC, etc.

But saying it's not even good enough to put up a fight in the ACC is kinda ridiculous. Brownell has won 8 ACC games in all but one season, and that was majorly before the recruiting really started improving.

All to do with his style of play

Sep 25, 2015, 8:54 AM

They just want to complain about everything else because of it. Our recruiting is fine for what our history has been. This isn't play station where you can just throw out offers and recruit kids who basically have told you they have no interest and later convince them to come cause you shove a large amount of "points" down their throats.

Re: All to do with his style of play

Sep 25, 2015, 2:54 PM

Spot on.

Also, I think the style of play is going to start changing a bit this year. This is the first time in about 1000 days that Rod Hall is no longer our starting PG. He was serviceable, but if you're looking for a style of play change, you're going to get it because he and Holmes are polar opposites.

Who recruited Rod Hall?

Sep 25, 2015, 4:18 PM

"Can he shoot?"
-Mrs. Brownell

Re: Who recruited Rod Hall?

Sep 25, 2015, 10:05 PM

I never was bashing Hall. Simply said a change in style of play is coming.

Who recruited Holmes? Who recruited Blossomgame? Who convinced Mitchell and Reed to come? Since you wanna play that game..

We expect better than that.***

Sep 25, 2015, 7:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Story on why Jenkins chose VCU over Brad.. ]

Will Wade, new VCU coach, is a CU grad.***

Sep 20, 2015, 8:55 PM

really sad that supposed Clemson fans have to continue to

Sep 20, 2015, 9:02 PM

denigrate our coaches

every time some thing does not go our way.

Two words: Scott Spencer.

Let me pose another reason-Grantham's a soph

Sep 20, 2015, 9:07 PM

2 years behind him has to be a consideration

Not a fan of current style of play ...

Sep 21, 2015, 12:41 AM

Love Clemson University and pull for all our teams and players ... but not blindly allegiant to mercenary coaches and poor play.

Have regularly visited Clemson from Savannah for one or two basketball games a year since 1984 graduation through the Ellis, Barnes, Purnell and Brownell years. Did not attend this past year based upon style of play in 2013 and 2014 and departure of KJ. Probably will attend a game this year if only to see a game and dine in Greenville. No hard feelings - just have never seen a more uninspiring style of play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, kind of a bummer, but..

Sep 21, 2015, 6:23 AM

I like what we have moving forward. I am interested to see Holmes, Marcquise Reed, Legend Roberts, Ty Hudson, and Scott Spencer. Anyway, who is our likely next target?

4 star SF Jordan Bruner from Spring Valley

Sep 24, 2015, 11:47 PM

in Columbia is visiting for the ND game. He's down to us and Yale. Kid is a skilled athlete and obviously, an honor roll student. Also offered by Georgia, Tennessee, and Temple. High quality kid and a really good in state prospect. 6'7, 195. He's expected to sign in November so a commitment one way or the other should come shortly after his visit

Not to mention VCU's academic ranking...

Sep 26, 2015, 1:01 PM

I was looking at the various rankings last night. They are waaay down the lists.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic