Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Clemson basketball

Dec 11, 2017, 1:10 PM

I see we still haven't cracked the top 45 in the ap or coaches. I don't think we are top 25 yet but we are Playing some of the best ball I've seen in a couple of years. Better passing and still got some good free throw shooters. Hopefully we get wins over Florida and the coots in the next 2 games and can start acc play in the top 25. After all the fire Brownell talk after last season that would be quite an accomplishment.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully the success continues so Zion can see

Dec 11, 2017, 1:13 PM

that he can have plenty of success here.

Snowflake Basher........Out

So good to see them enjoying to play, BB takes a page from

Dec 11, 2017, 1:19 PM

Dabo's book plus the outstanding leadership and play from our two seniors.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson basketball

Dec 11, 2017, 2:29 PM

Where are all those guys at, I haven't really read their negativity much so far. I'll admit that I said that if Brownell didn't make considerable progress with our team this year, I said that he should be replaced after this season, and I still feel that way!!! I still think that Brownell is a good basketball coach, but being a good basketball coach hasn't benefited at all with recruiting top talent to Clemson.Even with great coaches, it would take longer than 3 or 4 years to have them playing at 4-5 star status with a 2 and sometimes 3 star recruits. Brad needs to and hire a great recruiter even if he has to give up some of his own salary to keep them at Clemson. That would be better than going back to coaching at those small schools for 3 or 4 hundred thousand a year!!! As of now I think that he makes 1.55 mil a year, and to keep that to the end of his contract where he would be making 2. mil, some of what he makes now would be worth sharing with an assistant that car our recruit him!!! Brads last job was with Wright State Raiders, and the HC there is in his 9th year, and he is only making $500,000 a year. So I doubt that Brad was making that when he left for the Clemson job. Brad should maybe do some sharing to keep a great recruiter, Just saying!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Negative nabob, I say wait and see if success continues...***

Dec 11, 2017, 3:34 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still Here

Dec 11, 2017, 5:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson basketball ]

Wanted him fired 3 years ago and if I had to place a bet I'd bet against this team making the tourney.

Admittedly there's not much data to work with this year, as in the case in most years we play a most of our early games against creampuffs outside the conference and we will only face 3-4 potential tourney teams.

The Ohio State win was an decent win, especially on the road. They are in the 50's in the kenpom ratings and sit at 46 in RPI after a win over 37th ranked Michigan. So that's basically a win over a bubble team if they stay at 46 in the RPI. They were crushed by Gonzaga earlier in the year.

The loss to Temple is an interesting one. RPI has Temple at #11. Kenpom at #46 so depending on who you believe, that's would equate to a loss to a 4-5 seed team or a loss to another bubble type team.

So we sit at 1-1 against potential tourney caliber opposition (RPI Top 50). Next week will provide a bit more insight with games at Florida (Kenpom 21 and RPI 67) and S. Carolina (KP 56, RPI 49). I haven't seen Florida play so I don't know why the disparity is with their ranking, but I think it's fair to say we are playing two more bubble type teams and if Florida is as good as their ranking a tourney caliber team.

So if we go 0-2 it's definitely same old same old. Beat some scrubs early in the season. Win one or two good games, then go into conference play and finish somewhere around .500 in conference, but without enough quality wins to make the tourney. 1-1 Still doesn't say much about the team other than they are capable of holding their own against good teams, but not really winning big games.

But if we've really turned the corner we have the opportunity to go 2-0 and go into conference play with some momentum. The early ACC schedule is actually favorable with NCSU, at BC, Louisville, and at NCSU. Of those, only Louisville is currently ranked higher than us in KenPom (lower in RPI). If you could manage 3-1 in the conference to start, I would definitely see some reason for optimism. 2-2 or worse and it looks really tough to see a path to .500 with 5 of the next 6 against ranked opponents (Miami, ND, UNC twice, at Virginia, and at GT) Even the un-ranked game at GT would be tough for us as we don't typically win there.

Anyway if you get out of that gauntlet somehow at 3-3 or even 2-4 there's still hope as there are only 3 games against ranked opposition over the last 8 (FSU twice and Duke).

Right now it's really to early to say much about this year's team, however if you look at the history of our program under Brownell and how this usually plays out, it seems more than likely we win 16-19 games finish about .500 in the conference and miss the cut for the dance. Maybe I'm wrong this year but he's yet to prove me wrong in 3 seasons.

Re: Still Here

Dec 11, 2017, 5:11 PM

If you watch the games you can notice the difference in this team and former ones.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’ve heard that for the past three years

Dec 11, 2017, 7:43 PM

Again we’ve only played two games against anything that resembles tourney level competition. I can’t speak to the temple game because I didn’t watch it. We played 30mims of good basketball vs Ohio State. That doesn’t make this team any different from prior teams.

But every year we take a 10-2 record into conference play only to realize beating up a bunch of directional North Carolina’s doesn’t prove anything. I’m not going to say this is a good team until I see what they do tis weekend and next week.

Re: I’ve heard that for the past three years

Dec 12, 2017, 7:49 AM

Last year was the only year we did that under Brownell. The tendency has been to underperform early in the year, and do better in conference than anyone expected.

Have you really followed the team as much as you act like you have?

Re: I’ve heard that for the past three years

Dec 16, 2017, 8:23 PM [ in reply to I’ve heard that for the past three years ]

This simply isn't true. Most years, it's been the opposite. We'd typically go 8-4 or so in the non-conference schedule and then win 9-10 games in the league. Last year, was the oddity. Nice try though.

Oh, and to come here and make a huge post basing your opinion on KenPom and RPI ratings in December (before conference play has even begun) is just as crazy. If you knew anything about how those ratings work, you'd know you cannot judge any team until conference play is well under way.

Clemson b-ball is off to a good start.....

Dec 11, 2017, 3:32 PM

And I hope it continues.
But we probably don't need to be worried about whether or not we are a top 25 team.
So far, we have played 2 'big' games (vs Temple and @ Ohio St.) and we split them.
We have some other cupcake wins and some wins against decent mid/low major types.
From here on out, the schedule is going to be brutal, and we all need to be prepared to savor any victories and not get too low when a loss come. Hopefully we can find our way to a winning conference record and a tourney birth.
I'm an optimist when it comes to hoops, but I am still cautious about what is to come this season. We've seen the movie before when we got off to a good start and didn't finish.
Looking forward to the next game, although I hope that we realize that beating Florida would be a huge upset...I'm not expecting it personally, but would be glad if it happened.

Re: Clemson basketball

Dec 11, 2017, 3:58 PM

We jump in the top 25 if we beat Florida and SC coming up. Florida got a big W against Cincy after a 3 game slide. I'm excited for Saturday!

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic