Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Spiller vs ETN
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Spiller vs ETN

Dec 4, 2020, 8:25 PM

Would really like to see what your opinion is about who is better? I know ETN has the stat line but he has also benefited from being on a much more talented team and running behind better offensive lines. I mean Spiller had a good O-line his freshman year, but not so much after that. Can’t help but wonder what CJ would have done if he was running behind our O-lines of the last few years.(maybe a Heisman) Definitely not to take anything away from ETN. He is an all time great tiger regardless of position and not to mention his character is off the charts. Definition of humble. To me CJ gets the slight edge here because of his ability to catch the ball his whole career at Clemson plus the impact he had on special teams.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Spiller vs ETN

Dec 4, 2020, 8:33 PM

Spiller may very well be my favorite of all time, but I think ETN is the better overall running back. ETN is a much more patient runner and much better at reading the blocks and exploding through the holes. For that reason I’d expect him to have a more successful NFL career as well.

Dec 4, 2020, 10:03 PM

It was hard for Spiller to read blocks bc, everybody was behind him!!! CJ had blazing speed!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2020, 8:35 PM

I would give the tilt to Travis because he was simply a better running back. In the final analysis the number one thing you need from your back is the ability to get a first down or across the goal line when in close. ETN does that and frankly, that was Spiller's weakness.

Now that said, CJ was undoubtedly the most exciting player on the field. And his kickoff and punt returns for TDs were a huge addition. He is a great Tiger alum and we were very, very lucky to have him.

It is nice that we can have a debate like this over Clemson running backs that were as impactful as both of these Tiger greats.

I’m going to let each other’s NFL career sway my vote

Dec 4, 2020, 8:41 PM

Spiller was maybe a touch better than an average NFL RB, but not by much. 3500 career yards and 1 pro bowl. Had bigger hopes for him. However Buffalo was a helping pile of garbage back then. If he started his career with the Bills now, things might have been different.

I hate to say it, but I’ve seen 2 mock drafts that have both TL and ETN being the Jets 2 first round picks this year. If that’s the case, Spiller might win my vote.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m going to let each other’s NFL career sway my vote

Dec 4, 2020, 8:57 PM

I definitely get what you guys are saying. I actually believe Travis will have a better NFL career than CJ did. My only thing is what do you think Spiller’s stats would have been if he played for Clemson the last 4 years. With his kick return ability I truly believe he would have won a Heisman one of those years.

To have each player switch times, ETN will be better

Dec 4, 2020, 9:09 PM

Spiller wasn’t pulled nearly as much because we were blowing people out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Injuries & location killed his NFL career...

Dec 4, 2020, 10:24 PM [ in reply to I’m going to let each other’s NFL career sway my vote ]

& it's upward trajectory. When healthy, w/ no threat of a passing game, he was among the AFC T10 in rushing yds & led the league in ypc by a wide margin. TE > CJS b/c of his # of breakaway runs of 30+ yds-

Dec 4, 2020, 8:53 PM

Not sure how many carries per game or touches Spiller averaged but if he had been on these teams he would have been pulled early just like Travis and would maybe have 5-6 games of heavy usage in his career so no Heisman for him in either era. Travis has matured into a more physical runner than CJ was IMHO.

Dec 4, 2020, 9:02 PM

Definitely more physical. Travis breaks tackles like the coots break coaching careers, but I think spillers gots him on open field moves. Think 06 against GT. Game day in the purple unis.

Dec 4, 2020, 8:57 PM

What’s it matter? Their contributions are both insurmountable.

Dec 4, 2020, 9:03 PM

I hate comparing all time Clemson “greats.” Having said that I would like to go back in time and watch Tajh Boyd QB a Clemson team with the caliber defense that we have today.

Dec 4, 2020, 9:09 PM

T-Law with Hopkins and Watkins and Bryant and Allen.

Dec 4, 2020, 9:14 PM

Too much!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Dec 4, 2020, 9:32 PM

Before I cast my vote, I'll wait to see if ETN donates the kind of money CJ did to Clemson.

Dec 4, 2020, 10:02 PM

No comment on comparisons, but I recall CJ's first play in the NFL for the the Buffalo Bills was a kick-off return for a TD. He never had the OL, or the coaching, to to take advantage of his talents and athleticism, but I'm so glad he's a Tiger for life!!!

Go Tigers, and go ETN!!!

Dec 4, 2020, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Spiller vs ETN ]

You are right my friend. Underated post

It's a pick-em! I think that Travis will hold up in the

Dec 4, 2020, 9:48 PM

NFL better because of his build. Both were great in college for sure and I love to watch them run!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2020, 10:02 PM

Two totally different styles!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spiller spectacular playmaker ETN pure around RB with balanc

Dec 4, 2020, 10:08 PM

Power and breaks tackles.

Dec 4, 2020, 10:50 PM

Spiller definitely had more impact on Clemson than ETN. By this, I mean that we were not getting the caliber of players that they both are when Spiller came. Spiller (along with Bowers) seamed to open up the gates for us to start really recruiting well.

And I think Spiller was a better open field type runner, based on his return yards (ETN has not had one TD off of returns, right?)

But, if it was third and three and everyone knew the run was coming, I would rather have ETN than Spiller! Guess that means that I think ETN is the better running back?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2020, 11:55 PM

ETN is probably the better overall back ,but the thing I remember the most about C.J. was his speed The man was fast.

Dec 5, 2020, 12:48 AM

Spiller28 was nasty as a player!

I have to laugh when I hear people say he was a track guy playing football...the dude was more than just speed and had some freaky elusiveness to go with his speed. He might not run you over but he didn't need to...but if he got by you it was TD!

IMO he is probably our greatest FLEX player to ever play (or at least for the long haul). Dude could do it all and has probably one of the best highlight films you can watch for a college football player.

ETN9 is a special player too!

He can do it all and like many others he would be my top RB of all time. I LOVE watching him play and he clearly has the best combination of all of the above.

I don't really see him like a power back but more of a deadly balance of power and speed. ETN may not have that homerun speed like Spiller but he ain't too far behind!

Also, it's easy to get recent bias and past nostalgia watching these two and easy to forget we have different eras of Clemson football they represent.

Love them both and happy I don't have to choose ??????

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2020, 11:06 AM

Ooooo I love that phrase “a deadly balance of power and speed”! Well done

Dec 5, 2020, 4:46 AM

Ok let’s think deeply about this- CJ is my all time favorite player because of his Heart- it pumps a fountain of Orange blood. He ran wild every time he touched it you felt like he’s going to embarrass the entire defense on the other team. His ability to accelerate was second to none. He’s a great representative of the program, love CJ!

ETN has been more than we expected from day one. He is so humble & dedicated to Clemson to stay for 4 years knowing we needed him this year to win another Natty, ETN has helped us to four Playoffs, 4 ACC Championships, 3 National Championship games & 2 Natty’s including this year. His play last year against a really great team from Bucknut trees carried us to an incredible win to take us to the championship game.

It’s so hard to choose but ETN has a good shot at taking the lead until CJ has a son because his brother Trevor ETN would be an awesome pickup for us. 2 ETN’s could put him over the edge against CJ.

CJ Junior would challenge this too.

We are so blessed to have both!

Hopefully we can lure another ETN to little’ole Clemson again.||

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic