Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So I looked it up
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

So I looked it up

Jul 17, 2020, 8:45 AM

Spanish flu pandemic killed an estimated 50 million people worldwide

Covid has killed an estimated 0.6 million worldwide. And the death rate continues to drop

That’s about 80 times less deaths this go around

It was much worse in 1918

Ps. Clemson football finished with a record of 5-2 in 1918. The team captain was a guy named stumpy banks

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And the second curve is not what they're showing you...

Jul 17, 2020, 8:50 AM

Cases going up considerably, but deaths leveling off.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So people shouldn’t be concerned about this current pandemic

Jul 17, 2020, 8:58 AM

because it isn’t as bad as a prior one a hundred years ago?!?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

It actually doesn’t qualify as a pandemic according to cdc.***

Jul 17, 2020, 9:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks. As you know, it has been widely referred to as a pandemic.***

Jul 17, 2020, 9:22 AM

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: It actually doesn’t qualify as a pandemic according to cdc.***

Jul 17, 2020, 9:36 AM [ in reply to It actually doesn’t qualify as a pandemic according to cdc.*** ]

Funny then that you can find multiple mentions of it as a pandemic on the CDC website such as this one.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/communication/responder-stories/changing-paths.html

We should be concerned

Jul 17, 2020, 9:14 AM [ in reply to So people shouldn’t be concerned about this current pandemic ]

Just not bat-chit crazy.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So people shouldn’t be concerned about this current pandemic

Jul 17, 2020, 10:34 AM [ in reply to So people shouldn’t be concerned about this current pandemic ]

Just some historical perspective, which seems to be something in short supply these days

I’m not understanding how a pandemic from 100 years ago

Jul 17, 2020, 11:30 AM

when medicine was far less sophisticated than it is today, and society was much different than it is today, is relevant.

The implication in comparing the two pandemics is that we should learn something from that 1918 pandemic and apply it to this one, but I don’t see how that is applicable here.

Re: So I looked it up

Jul 17, 2020, 9:18 AM

Just a reminder.... this was a hospital....

This is YOLO "apartment"

And this was a good idea

Jul 17, 2020, 10:50 AM

The toddler on the bed is the same toddler in the basket.

Occam's Razor: or they are twins

Jul 17, 2020, 1:18 PM

usually the simplest explanation is the correct one

Jul 17, 2020, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: So I looked it up ]

woman on the left scares me

and not just a little

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And the babies confirm - somebody

Jul 17, 2020, 1:31 PM

mashed it out with the lady on the left . . . .

1918 was C R A Z Y ! ! !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Spanish flu killed 195,000 Americans in October 1918 alone.

Jul 17, 2020, 9:39 AM

The Spanish Flu - due to it's potency combined with lesser medical capabilities of the time - was much worse than COVID-19 is today.

Not sure how comparing COVID-19 to the Spanish Flu does much for us now other than to say that we have been through much worse yet people somehow continued to live their lives in 1918 without cowering in the corner for months on end...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Spanish flu killed 195,000 Americans in October 1918 alone.

Jul 17, 2020, 9:48 AM

There were also 1/3 as many people in the U.S. then.

Jul 17, 2020, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Spanish flu killed 195,000 Americans in October 1918 alone. ]

Yes, but then you were just likely to die of TB, pneumonia, diarrhea , intestinal ulcers and nephritis. Death rate was 1,800/100,000 as compared to 860/100,000 or so.

Also, back then while there *might* be basic general "awareness" of germ theory among the general population, today we *should* know better....

Jul 17, 2020, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Spanish flu killed 195,000 Americans in October 1918 alone. ]

Wouldn't that many people dying due to doing nothing actually show the deadly results of doing nothing? Also, it's not like every city did nothing at all. This is an interesting read that actually talks about the different responses of some cities.

https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-pandemic-response-cities

"When a flu outbreak at a nearby military barracks first spread into the St. Louis civilian population, Starkloff wasted no time closing the schools, shuttering movie theaters and pool halls, and banning all public gatherings. There was pushback from business owners, but Starkloff and the mayor held their ground. When infections swelled as expected, thousands of sick residents were treated at home by a network of volunteer nurses.

Dehner says that because of these precautions, St. Louis public health officials were able to “flatten the curve” and keep the flu epidemic from exploding overnight as it did in Philadelphia.

According to a 2007 analysis of Spanish flu death records, the peak mortality rate in St. Louis was only one-eighth of Philadelphia’s death rate at its worst. That’s not to say that St. Louis survived the epidemic unharmed. Dehner says the midwestern city was hit particularly hard by the third wave of the Spanish flu which returned in the late winter and spring of 1919."

Jul 17, 2020, 10:01 AM

Also from the above article:

"In San Francisco, health officials put their full faith behind gauze masks. California governor William Stephens declared that it was the “patriotic duty of every American citizen” to wear a mask and San Francisco eventually made it the law. Citizens caught in public without a mask or wearing it improperly were arrested, charged with “disturbing the peace” and fined $5."

"But San Francisco’s luck ran out when the third wave of the Spanish flu struck in January 1919. Believing masks were what saved them the first time, businesses and theater owners fought back against public gathering orders. As a result, San Francisco ended up suffering some of the highest death rates from Spanish flu nationwide. The 2007 analysis found that if San Francisco had kept all of its anti-flu protections in place through the spring of 1919, it could have reduced deaths by 90 percent."

Jul 17, 2020, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Spanish flu killed 195,000 Americans in October 1918 alone. ]

They also didn’t have modern day conveniences, like apps for delivering everything under the sun, etc, etc.

I’m no happier than anyone else about the situation, anyone with kids and elderly grandparents or parents for that matter feels the same way I’m sure. Just wear a mask, wash your hands frequently and use social distancing, and give thanks to God for another beautiful day.

Make sure you vote, because the consequences of not voting is very evident right now. ????????????????

Your post suggests that if more people in 1918 had

Jul 17, 2020, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Spanish flu killed 195,000 Americans in October 1918 alone. ]

“cowered in the corner” more, the number of deaths would have been far fewer.

Ah man.. I was hoping this was about quid pro quo***

Jul 17, 2020, 9:51 AM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Had about 1/3 of the Population in 1918

Jul 17, 2020, 10:56 AM

than we have now.

The real question is

Jul 17, 2020, 11:13 AM

Why was he called Stumpy? Or is that something we'd have to move to the after hours message board?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2020, 11:17 AM

It's all relevant to the times. The bubonic plague (and eventually called Black Death) killed off 50 to 60 percent of the world's population over a 5 year period from its start in the 14th century. Quarantining was attributed to slowing it down.

https://www.history.com/news/black-death-timeline

Jul 17, 2020, 3:09 PM

The only thing that rivals the Spanish flu would be cigarettes. About 8 million people world wide die each year from tobacco.
https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/tobacco

Also your world population was only 1.8 billion back then

Jul 17, 2020, 3:12 PM

As opposed to 7.7 billion now

Re: Also your world population was only 1.8 billion back then

Jul 18, 2020, 7:57 AM

Yea not as many people back then for sure. However, 50 - 60 percent is still the same just more or less total numbers. Except for the cities, social distancing was s lot easier duringbthe plague. As mentioned with COVID, many moved to less populated areas to avoid the chances with the crowds.

Jul 18, 2020, 9:27 AM

That is also with the numbers jacked up too!

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic