Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Report: Arkansas interested in Brent Venables
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

TNET: Report: Arkansas interested in Brent Venables

Nov 26, 2017, 4:05 PM

Report: Arkansas interested in Brent Venables

It's coaching rumor season as teams are firing coaches left and right to get a head start on the 2018 season. CBSSports.com released its latest article on Sunda Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't imagine why he would want to go from the Tigers

Nov 26, 2017, 4:09 PM

to the Pigs...where SOOOOOOOEY is both a cheer and a mating call.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's all about the Benjamins, pay the man 3M per

Nov 26, 2017, 4:13 PM

year. Remove all doubt.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If money is all he cares about let him go, but I think

Nov 26, 2017, 4:21 PM

Family matters more to him than money.

Re: If money is all he cares about let him go, but I think

Nov 26, 2017, 4:48 PM

And he gets to coach his son at Clemson for the next four years

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I assume his son could follow him wherever he goes***

Nov 26, 2017, 8:03 PM

Nov 27, 2017, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Re: If money is all he cares about let him go, but I think ]

And he gets to compete for championships every year. At soooooeyland, he would learn how to squeal.

He can get by if frugal on $1.7m***

Nov 26, 2017, 8:08 PM [ in reply to If money is all he cares about let him go, but I think ]

Nov 26, 2017, 9:22 PM [ in reply to If money is all he cares about let him go, but I think ]

Yep, family and being happy and satisfied where he is at with his family. Brent Venables is also really big on loyalty and being loyal. I'm absolutely 100% positive that if Bob Stoops hadn't brought his brother Mike Stoops back as the defensive coordinator with BV, BV wouldn't have left Oklahoma. And BV may have been the Oklahoma HC right now over Lincoln Riley....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2017, 11:36 PM [ in reply to If money is all he cares about let him go, but I think ]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LhI88tg1Gqg

Sometimes it's not "All about the Benjamins" ...

Nov 26, 2017, 7:03 PM [ in reply to It's all about the Benjamins, pay the man 3M per ]

Sometimes it's all about being at a place you love and doing a job you love while being paid very very well to do it.

Most think Venables actually loves to "coach" and most Head Coaches don't have time to actually "coach" players.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's all about the Benjamins, pay the man 3M per

Dec 2, 2017, 12:55 PM [ in reply to It's all about the Benjamins, pay the man 3M per ]

When we look at what BV's annual income is a year, he is the #2 highest paid assistant in the country. Maybe bump him to $2.0 mil and make him the highest paid DC in the country. That should keep him at Clemson for a long time when considering he will have two sons playing at Clemson, and the love the Venables family has for Clemson and, the fact that BV has stated many times that he isn't interested in taking on the head aches that comes along with being a HC link is a 2016 article.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/02/dc-brent-venables-among-clemson-assistants-given-raises/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's all about the Benjamins, pay the man 3M per

Dec 10, 2017, 12:30 PM [ in reply to It's all about the Benjamins, pay the man 3M per ]

If you listen to Chads presser, he said that were bringing in the best DC in the country, and the media ask him if he was going after BV because he was the best DC in the country, and Chad refused to answer the question but did say, I can't answer those questions at present time. Then again it was just yesterday I think it was, this is what Mike Jones said BV told him and his family,"But he says he loves what he does. He loves not having to worry about all the extra stuff with trying to be a head coach. He basically gave us his word that he is not going to leave. He loves Clemson.

A mid major would be better than Arkansas as a job...

Nov 26, 2017, 4:13 PM

Arkansas has the problem of over the top expectations and a lack of in state talent

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm confident Venables would leave for the right opportunity

Nov 26, 2017, 4:18 PM

And I am positive that Arkansas is not it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And Arkansas certainly ain't it!!***

Nov 26, 2017, 6:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm confident Venables would leave for the right opportunity

Nov 26, 2017, 9:30 PM [ in reply to I'm confident Venables would leave for the right opportunity ]

I'm now sure that you haven't paid very much attention to what BV has stated many time about being a HC. He said that he was not interested in being a HC, and that he loves what he is doing now, and that he really loves doing his job at Clemson. So what anybody thinks or believes of what BV has said makes him happy, they don't matter!!!

Nov 26, 2017, 11:30 PM [ in reply to I'm confident Venables would leave for the right opportunity ]

At this point, the only place I could even see him leaving for in the near future would be Kansas State when that job comes open. Even his alma mater could be too big of a rebuilding job so it would be a gamble for him.

Nov 26, 2017, 11:30 PM [ in reply to I'm confident Venables would leave for the right opportunity ]

At this point, the only place I could even see him leaving for in the near future would be Kansas State when that job comes open. Even his alma mater could be too big of a rebuilding job so it would be a gamble for him.

For the record, the one reporting this is a Coot grad.

Nov 26, 2017, 4:19 PM

I'd wait for confirmation from a more legit source because Sallee would fake a report to just stir the pot against Clemson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Sorry, I meant he is an Auburn grad who is an SEC homer and

Nov 26, 2017, 4:23 PM

anti-Clemson protagonist.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

Re: Sorry, I meant he is an Auburn grad who is an SEC homer and

Nov 26, 2017, 4:28 PM

I believe Venables has been quoted as 'having more money than I'll ever need' so that's not a motivating factor.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sorry, I meant he is an Auburn grad who is an SEC homer and

Nov 26, 2017, 5:18 PM [ in reply to Sorry, I meant he is an Auburn grad who is an SEC homer and ]

hoping that Gus does not make the move.

Re: For the record, the one reporting this is a Coot grad.

Nov 26, 2017, 9:37 PM [ in reply to For the record, the one reporting this is a Coot grad. ]

Well that coot can get use to his butt hurt bc BV ain't going any where no time soon. BV and wife will not leave Clemson and upset their sons education for a job that could end in 3 or 4 years when Clemson keeps their bank account looking great!!!

Re: TNET: Report: Arkansas interested in Brent Venables

Nov 26, 2017, 4:28 PM

He's not going anywhere anytime soon, especially with Jake coming in next year. Some guys don't like the extra work of being a HC and satisfied with a coordinator position, like Bud Foster. He loves coaching defense and he loves Clemson, Idk how many times he has said that recently.

I believe BV is waiting on Bill Snyder to retire at K State.

Nov 26, 2017, 4:40 PM

There was a supposed head coach in waiting deal with Jim Leavitt but Snyder said no to that as he has veto power.

Re: Snyder is going to out last all of them.***

Nov 26, 2017, 5:19 PM

Re: I believe BV is waiting on Bill Snyder to retire at K State.

Nov 27, 2017, 6:26 AM [ in reply to I believe BV is waiting on Bill Snyder to retire at K State. ]

I read a week or 2 ago that Snyder would like his son to replace him. The son must be on the staff at KState.

Nov 26, 2017, 4:30 PM

Arkansas sees how well our defenses under Venables handle the bigs ( and the chicken littles ) of the SEC ... and they want that .

Auburn scored 6 pts . BV's kinda a big deal , Vern .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Nov 26, 2017, 9:42 PM

BV won't be the only coach that has turned them down before, there has been many of them, and BV won't be their last to turn them down!!!

Nov 26, 2017, 10:02 AM

Venables has stated that it would have to be the right job for him to leave us. I doubt a school in a terrible recruiting state, very low ceiling, and doesn't currently have an Athletic Director is the right job in his eyes.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Nov 26, 2017, 4:35 PM

The SEC West does not sound fun. You're guaranteed Alabama, Auburn, A&M, and LSU (they will get better) every year. Then the talent pool in Arkansas is minimal and on top of that the ceiling on the program is average at best, maybe 3rd in the West?

Nov 27, 2017, 10:48 AM

Petrino finished in the top 5 and Nutt won the SEC West twice and averaged around 8 wins a year. Arkansas has the money, facilities and fan support but plays in a brutal division and you'll have to be good at recruiting Texas. You can make a solid core from inside the state but there isn't enough to do anything else with.

Arkansas is around .500 in the last 10 years against Auburn and LSU and leads the series against Texas A&M by 10+ games. There are disadvantages but I don't think it's a bad job. Traditionally better than TCU and Oklahoma State who have been more successful recently.

Nov 26, 2017, 4:36 PM

Venables is a very smart man. More than smart enough to know Arkansas is a place you don't want to go. You go to Arkansas and you are fighting with Mississippi State, Ole Miss to be the worst team in that division. Sorry but if I was an up and coming coach, Arkansas isn't a place I would go. You are not beating Bama, Auburn, LSU, Texas A&M, Mississippi State and Ole Miss enough to be anything other than below average. You'd be a moron to take that job. With what Arkansas did and what Bielema did I thought it would be a great marriage as it turned out it was anything but. You can't just look at what Arkansas did when Petrino was there but what the teams around him were as to why Petrino and Arkansas was successful during that short stint. I imagine Venables will be on a lot of list but there is no way I think these top tier programs are going to hire a assistant coach with no head coaching experience. With all that I don't think BV is looking for a head coaching gig. Why when you are at the top of your game winning championships with top notch players making right at 2 mill a year would you trade all that in for the headache of a head coaching gig. Thats just me though.

Nov 27, 2017, 1:27 PM

I think you are correct. Arkansas was tremendous from the mid-50s to around 1990. Very mediocre since. It would take a whole lot to turn that program into a national power again. Does BV want to take that chance? He's not been a head coach and he's great at what he does. Makes good $ too. Why chuck it all for something so uncertain?

Nov 26, 2017, 4:41 PM

I'm not saying he's leaving, and certainly don't think it would be for Arkansas, but why do people keep pointing at Jake being committed here as some sort of proof that he won't? In theory, if he wanted to take a head coaching job elsewhere then Jake could just commit to that school.

Nov 26, 2017, 5:57 PM

I don't think VB is looking to go anywhere at this time. He was clearly All In whenever they showed him last night. But if he were going to even consider Arkansas, he doesn't have to look far at all to find a coach who enjoyed great success at Clemson before spending a few years with the razorbacks. Danny was more than happy to come "home" to retire.

Jimmy Green Beans has said over and over and over and over and over

Nov 26, 2017, 4:44 PM

that he wants to stay here and that he doesn't want to be a head coach.

Nov 26, 2017, 4:47 PM

Not gonna happen! Why in the world was Tennessee not interested? He would have been my first choice!

Nov 26, 2017, 4:51 PM

Tigersense made the most sense. I don’t think he really would want the kstate job but he may feel sense of loyalty and take it. Back home yada yada but I still don’t think he’d take that one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not worried about BV at all

Nov 26, 2017, 5:06 PM

Kansas State and retirement is the only threat out there.

Re: Not worried about BV at all

Nov 26, 2017, 5:23 PM

Not to mention younger son has already been offered as a sophomore. BV loves Clemson. I've had the privilege to talk with him several times in the past, and the one thing I'm sure of, he is happy right where he is, no stress over running a program, no desire to run a program......right now. Things could change in a few years, but he has one son coming in next year, another in a couple of years, and all the defensive studs he needs for his defense on a yearly basis. This Arkansas piece is not lieing. They are "interested" in BV. He isn't interested in them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not worried about BV at all

Nov 26, 2017, 10:14 PM [ in reply to Not worried about BV at all ]

I believe that BV's blood runneth ORANGE now! Even if he has the opportunity to go Coach at K State, he could ruin some great memories from his playing days, there are no guarantees that he would be successful as a HC.

He has it good at Clemson! (And he knows it)

MHO

I really don't think he takes a HC job.

Nov 26, 2017, 5:33 PM

His family is settled here and his son is about to play for Clemson.

He makes A LOT of money now, right here, doing exactly what he loves, without the pressure of being a head coach, especially at a place like Arkansas where expectations are probably unrealistic.

Just my gut feeling.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Even Danny could not win at Ark

Nov 26, 2017, 6:04 PM

back in the day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2017, 6:27 PM

I will say that if Venables is going to leave it will be this season or he will be here the next 4. Jake has committed to Clemson but hasn't signed and won't sign until December 20th, so I guess he could take a job before that and Jake Venables could flip his commitment. I don't see that happening, however. And if Jake if here I expect Brent to be here. So I think that buys us 4 more years.

Nov 26, 2017, 10:46 PM

If I was him then I would be more concerned with moving the younger son that is a sophomore at Daniel. The move would be more stressful on him I would think. Kids leave home all the time for college so Jake would be fine whether he stayed or went with Dad. I'll certainly agree that if BV wants to be a head coach that he will have better opportunities than Arkansas.

Nov 26, 2017, 6:45 PM

Brentwood deres it if that!s what he wants. I've a hunch it's not . Loves his job here imo.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2017, 8:23 PM

I love BV and hope he never leaves but if Arkansas offers him 5 mill to come.
Wouldn't that be stupid not to take a 60% raise.
If I were Dabo I would open up the check book because the D is why we are sitting #1 right now

Nov 26, 2017, 8:23 PM

I think that Arkansas better pull the trigger on Mike Norvell bc, I really don't think they have a snowball chance in H&LL of pulling BV away Clemson. BV would be one of the hardest assistant coaches to pull away from where he is very happy and satisfied where he is, at Clemson!!!

Nov 28, 2017, 12:52 PM

He's a millionaire doing what he loves right here. Taking a HC position is a risky proposition, especially when you leave an ideal set-up like he has here. Don't see it happening.

Nov 26, 2017, 8:40 PM

BV and I'm sure his sons as well want the opportunity to play for championships, like many of our incoming recruits, talk about all the time. I'm sure his sons don't want to spend their college careers in a rebuilding program. The culture that CDS has built here I'm sure is very attractive and intoxicating to say the least for everyone close to the program. Never say never, but I don't think he is leaving in the short term - 3-5 years.

Nov 26, 2017, 8:58 PM

I have a 'bama friend who is certain that Malzon will go home to Arkansas. Let's hope.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Venables aint

Nov 26, 2017, 9:09 PM

No scrub. He needs a man who can give him some lub... Much like Dabo. He's staying here for a long while unless someone offers him a 10million dollar a year contract. And maybe not even then

Venables aint

No scrub. He needs a man who can give him some lub... Much like Dabo. He's staying here for a long while unless someone offers him a 10million dollar a year contract. And maybe not even then

Venables aint

Venables aint

Re: Venables aint

Nov 26, 2017, 10:51 PM

https://youtu.be/FrLequ6dUdM

Dec 10, 2017, 12:51 PM

Big IF he was to leave, he would owe Clemson a lot of money. And I don't think that all of a sudden he started to dislike Clemson bad enough to pay out of his contract. I know that Arky would have to agree to pay that, but I don't see him leaving to go and work for Chad and knowing that his pace of offense wears down his D even faster!!! I do not believe that Chad is going to win championships like he thinks he will at Arky.

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic