Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Something very different about Clemson football this year...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 3,621

Something very different about Clemson football this year...

Dec 7, 2020, 2:40 PM

Always, in years past, we as fans had a pretty accurate report pregame of which players were not going to be playing, and why. Sometimes we were told it would be a "gametime decision", but we knew if there was an injury or illness of some kind. It seems that in almost every game this year, we've had at least one, sometimes multiple starters mysteriously on the bench with little or no explanation. Sometimes it has worked the other way; we're told players would not be playing and then there they are on the field. What's even more strange is that often the TV announcers seem to be oblivious to it. Also, During just about every game, one or more players go to the bench and don't return, often with no explanation. If and when we do get an explanation, it seems mighty slow in coming. I'm not sure if it's an intentional veil of secrecy designed to keep our opponnents guessing, or if it's just a massive failure on behalf of the school or the networks to communicate the information. I'm not saying it's good or bad either way, I just wonder why the drastic, sudden change after all of these years? I don't remember it ever being this way before.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

its all in a days work in the year 2020 smiling tiger

Dec 7, 2020, 2:45 PM

go tigers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Something very different about Clemson football this year...

Dec 7, 2020, 2:47 PM

COVID combined with HIPPA privacy regulations have created a problem for amateur athletes on this topic. While the pros can sign away their rights to privacy on these issues in exchange for tractor trailers full of money, college athletes would have to sign away those rights for nothing. This creates a potential legal entanglement that schools are trying to avoid I imagine.

That could be part of it. I know it's a fine line in the

Dec 7, 2020, 3:55 PM

workplace. If an employee tests positive for covid, does management tell everybody that has been in contact with them so they can be tested as well? Or, are they obligated by HIPPA or other privacy laws to keep it quiet? It hardly seems this would apply to athletes, even amatuers, who are public figures and who are often injured or obviously sick while performing in public.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

HIPAA applies in all cases and to everyone

Dec 7, 2020, 4:00 PM

anybody stepping across that line can be crucified, especially Dabo. The media would love to hang him for crossing that line.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

So help me out here. There's a brutal tackle on the field

Dec 7, 2020, 4:06 PM

and a player is carried off the field in an ambulance. Do you mean to tell me it's a HIPPA violation to announce on TV that Jimmy Greenbeans is okay, is alert and talking, but appears to have suffered a concussion and will not be returning to the game? I mean, they always do that ... always have.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: So help me out here. There's a brutal tackle on the field

Dec 7, 2020, 5:56 PM

and a player is carried off the field in an ambulance. Do you mean to tell me it's a HIPPA violation to announce on TV that Jimmy Greenbeans is okay, is alert and talking, but appears to have suffered a concussion and will not be returning to the game? I mean, they always do that ... always have.

Hi Smiling Tiger,

I'm not an expert, but I can take a pretty good guess: When a player tests positive for COVID-19, it involves a private test (and ultimately a private consultation with a physician); when a player gets hurt on the field, that doesn't involve doctor-patient confidentiality, plus the event is essentially in the public domain since it happened in front of the world. Maybe a good analogy would be a newspaper printing how a pedestrian is faring after being struck by a car.

In terms of information "after the injury," I'm thinking of Justyn Ross: I'd love to have more details about his progression, but unless Justyn wants me to know, I'll have to settle for little snippets of information.

Good explanation. I understand about Covid, I just don't

Dec 7, 2020, 7:11 PM

remember so much mystery around other "non-private" injuries.

- H. L. Mencken

Why do you think you should be privy to

Dec 7, 2020, 3:13 PM

injury or illness information?

Just enjoy the games and know they are out for either of those 2 reasons. That's it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know that we should be, but we always have been.

Dec 7, 2020, 3:47 PM

At least much more so, and much more accurately than now it seems. So, the question is, what is different, what changed this year? We've always been given that info in the past as far as I can recall. If a kid was hurt, we knew it. If a kid was being disciplined, we knew it. I'm just trying to understand what's changed and why; It's a reasonable question. A quarterback who has a sore shoulder has never been a private matter. And privacy doesn't explain it anyway, because they still tell us who's not expected to play and why, they just don't tell us all of them and some of them they tell us aren't going to play actually do play. It's just strange.

- H. L. Mencken

Dec 7, 2020, 3:13 PM

Glad you pointed this out. I have wondered the same thing too. Just an odd dynamic about everything this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2020, 4:37 PM

combined with the crowds seemingly being off this year in Death Valley, makes you wonder

Dec 7, 2020, 6:07 PM

In the absence of information rumors will abound. That’s the downside. The upside is the players get some well-deserved privacy. Let it alone.

Safe to say covid changed the dynamic on this...

Dec 7, 2020, 7:33 PM

...with testing (and contact tracing) we don't even know for sure if "healthy" players are playing until late Friday sometimes. I think Dabo simply said to heck with it and let's see who we got available each Saturday morning.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Replies: 13
| visibility 3,621
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic