Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Somejuan give us a sales pitch - we need it.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Somejuan give us a sales pitch - we need it.

Jul 22, 2020, 7:50 PM

My daughter completed her first year in the architecture program ('19-'20). She completed the spring semester online and her studio classes seemed useless online.
Please talk me off the ledge of refusing to pay out if state tuition for a program that can't replicate the features of in-person, peer-review physical models with the online offering.
No joke.
She's very disappointed with the thought that she'll have to struggle through another online semester.
Help me feel like I need to spend the money and that it'll be a good investment.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Somejuan give us a sales pitch - we need it.

Jul 22, 2020, 7:53 PM

Why doesn't she take a semester off or just take some general ed easy classes?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2020, 7:57 PM

She came in a ton of credits and her "easy" classes are already pretty-much squared away.
The issue with taking a semester off iit's that the architecture program doesn't (necessarily) offer the fall classes in the spring and vice versa.
We're in a tough spot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

its a horrible investment time for a gap year

Jul 22, 2020, 8:00 PM

to earn some money to help pay for school

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2020, 8:50 PM

Hang in there, my friend. The real education starts once she has the degree and goes to work. This from a 1961 architectural graduate.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2020, 11:09 PM

...and this from a 1978 graduate in Architecture - tgr61 is correct, the College of Architecture at Clemson is superb, but it teaches you how to think, how to design and solve problems, not how to practice the trade professionally. When you start doing Finish Schedules and Door Details as an intern, that's when you learn what the architectural profession is all about. It's 98% "business" and actually less than 1% "design". God bless her, and all the best!

Go Tigers!!!

Stick it out and get the degree.

Jul 22, 2020, 8:56 PM

Yes, the experiences and personal growth are important, but the Clemson degree is reason #1 she is there.

One or two semesters of virtual learning aren’t going to be a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Could transfer to usc! Go Cockks!

Jul 22, 2020, 9:04 PM

Did that help your decision making?

LoL

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Could transfer to usc! Go Cockks!

Jul 22, 2020, 9:12 PM

USC School of Architecture Final Exam

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2020, 10:47 PM

That can't be from a USuC student. I thought it wood look more like the house the 3 Stooges built many moons ago.

Jul 22, 2020, 11:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Could transfer to usc! Go Cockks! ]

I can’t imagine those fools even have a school of architecture. Seems incongruent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jul 22, 2020, 9:46 PM

Only your daughter should answer that, it is her future life that you're talking about!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2020, 10:57 PM

Yeah... she's over my shoulder on this poast.
On a related note, she thinks we're all pretty hilarious with our coot-hatred and our incredible ability to call in the plays during football games.
She wants to know where we got Coach Elliott's number.

Don't feel like the long ranger. You're not alone. Many

Jul 22, 2020, 10:36 PM

parents and students realize an "online education" isn't even half of what it should be.

I see things are changing.

Jul 23, 2020, 6:03 AM

From my view, things are changing. We are adjusting. While online learning has been around a while, we as a society are just starting to understand how to learn online. We have only begun to grasp it's effects and just beginning to make adjustments to make it work. Professors have now gotten their lectures recorded. They now will have time to find other ways to enrich the learning experience. They now have time to look at the issues with online learning and work on ways to overcome it's shortcomings.

I believe our education system needed a reset. There are so many resources available to help people learn. We have ignored them while continuing to lecture (only 10% is retained) and test. I am excited that professors will have time to creatively find ways to help others learn that struggle in the traditional classroom physically, socially, intellectually and emotionally.

I am excited that this generation is better prepared than any to make online learning work. Being digital natives they can influence what works best for them. They can have input into changing things. Just like the professors they can work to solve the problems and find solutions that work for all.
I hope your daughter will not only take the classes but find a way to make them better and more fulfilling.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Online is not always better

Jul 23, 2020, 11:47 AM

I know several parents say that some of their kids can handle online fine, the other does not.

I don't know how you do architecture online.

My daughter took a sociology class online. She got an A, but I don't think she learned/retained any knowledge from it.

Jul 23, 2020, 7:54 AM

I think I would of enjoyed a couple of semesters of online learning. As long as I could still live around campus and enjoy my friends...ha.

But even being at home wouldn't be the end of the world as money would be saved on rent and bills, and I'd probably get some kind of part time job.

As others have said. It's really just about that degree. Get that piece of paper that says Clemson University and learn on the job. Don't stress too much about that in class learning. It's simply there to open your mind and train you in how to think, problem solve, and use various tools and techniques. Grasp the concepts and she'll be fine.

BUT the tuition $ issue. I wouldn't be happy paying full price for in class learning when it got changed to just online. If the first online semester wasn't up to your standards, I'd probably take a semester/year off and make some money.

Ultimately, I think it's a decision based on your/her gut. If you can get a decent job by taking a year off, make money, "grow", contimplate life... Ha, then go for it. If you just wanna get on with life and your passionate about architecture.... Get that diploma!

Look at it this way: in my days there in the 60's,

Jul 23, 2020, 11:15 AM

a number of us had unlimited cuts in many classes and took full advantage, usually due to other activities.

I had a senior history class that I attended the first and last class...the first to get the semester's reading list, the last to turn in papers. And no, it wasn't Alan Grubbs' class! lol.

Jul 23, 2020, 11:26 AM

Coming from someone who has worked in the HVAC trade for about 30 years, I would highly recommend working with a building contractor for the semester. This way, you truly understand the impact of what you design. Almost anything can be drawn, but it matters very little if it’s completely impossible to execute. The new construction market in the Clemson area is booming, so the opportunity shouldn’t be a problem. As others have stated, nothing compares to being in the field and gaining greater understanding and experience.
Best of luck as you guys determine how to navigate the future!

Does she have any AutoCad skills? There are architects

Jul 23, 2020, 11:31 AM

that will hire for paid internships. She could take a gap semester or year and get back at it next. Call it a "co-op" year. My son was a co-op student in engineering, graduated in 5 years. She would gain real world experience.

Jul 23, 2020, 12:03 PM

I agree - I told my daughter (who is only 14) that if this were to happen to her we would not be paying big school tuition (out of state too) for an online experience. Either hit the local community college or take a gap year and get some experience doing something.

My best friend is a university president and he confides that is a concern - no in-person classes = no tuition money = no athletic revenue = not a good outcome.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic