Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some Hints on Public Speaking
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,722

Some Hints on Public Speaking

Apr 28, 2020, 8:51 PM

Everyone likes to think of themselves as an effective public speaker but there is always room for improvement. I would like to pass on some of the things I learned over the years. There are many books and articles that gives excellent advice on public speaking and presentation. On Page 1,instructions always tell us there should be a beginning and an end, and the closer the two, the more effective the presentation.

Page 2 provides additional important information. The author suggests the speaker employ some statement or action that will evoke response to human emotions ---- the two most important being Laughter and Tears, Suspense and Anger.

On Page 3 it is suggested that the speaker not bore his audience with a 60 minute presentation. I've never had a problem boring an audience with a 60 minute presentation, I can bore the audience in two minutes flat.

Having never read past Page 3, I don't know what else the author may have suggested.

From my experiences, ne of the most effective items for keeping your audience awake is the suspense factor. Bring some outrageous item with you and place it on the podium with great fanfare. Your audience will believe you are going to perform a magic trick. They will not remember one word you say but at least they will remain awake.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good Stuff Joe and may I add ......

Apr 28, 2020, 9:41 PM

…… My career required presentations and Speeches to many large groups.
I can honestly say that I was never really comfortable until they were
OVER!

My best work was always on the subjects which I was very knowledgeable
and that was NOT ALL the time :>)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good Stuff Joe and may I add ......

Apr 28, 2020, 9:56 PM

It's been a long time since I took public speaking at Clemson. One thing I remember our professor say was: Don't talk with your hands!" Today, most everyone is violating that rule, like they are pumping water, accenting every word with a pump! So distracting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2020, 10:20 PM [ in reply to Good Stuff Joe and may I add ...... ]

And take a deep breath and talk slower.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Apr 29, 2020, 12:07 PM

One of the best pieces of advice I got was from one of my bosses. Most of our presentations were at technical meetings and the usual allotted time was twenty minutes. He said an excellent presentation is diminished if you go over your allotted time and a poor presentation gains approval if you can limit your comments to 10 to 12 minutes.

Slides were in common use during my working days. If the speaker has to apologize for the quality of the slides or has to explain what's on the slides, leave them at home.

F you have a choice re wen you want to make your presentation, don't be the first after lunch or the last one in the afternoon session.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As Steve Martin once said, "Some of us have a way with

Apr 28, 2020, 10:17 PM

the English language, and some of us .... not have way."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As Steve Martin once said, "Some of us have a way with

Apr 28, 2020, 10:20 PM

“Never use a big word when a diminutive one would suffice.”

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: As Steve Martin once said, "Some of us have a way with

Apr 28, 2020, 10:23 PM

"Son, are you ignorant, or just apathetic?"

"Coach, I don't know, and I don't care!"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some Hints on Public Speaking

Apr 28, 2020, 11:57 PM

Don’t read the speech. Don’t use a power point. I always had a single page with key point that I could glance at to be sure I didn’t leave anything out.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2020, 10:12 AM

I can never get past laughing at all the naked people in the audience.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“They” say public that speaking is more feared than death

Apr 29, 2020, 11:23 AM

Most people are miserable public speakers and most realize it.

I feel like I have to give a public speech each week.

Apr 29, 2020, 12:44 PM

It may be hard to believe, but I am a Life Group (Sunday School) teacher. So, keep that in mind with my list below:

Things I have learned over the years:

1. Have a comprehensive but concise summary statement of what you are about to present. This helps form a central idea about what you are about to teach. Repeat that central idea 3-4 times during the session.
2. Have more material available even though you will probably not use it.
3. Be prepared.
4. Be honest and transparent. Identify with your audience.
5. Allow for discussion, even it is a difficult topic.
6. Start with a story or illustration of your central idea. Don't give away the ending. End your story at the end of the teaching to drive home the central idea.
7. Don't be afraid to challenge your audience; don't be afraid to laugh with your audience.
8. This isn't really applicable to a one-time presentation, but make sure you truly love the people you are teaching.
9. Say a simple "Thank you!" and smile when they come to tell you what a great job you did.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Apr 29, 2020, 3:59 PM

Never was keen on public speking but I'm a lot better than I used to be.

Years ago my boss had 2 seperate presentations scheduled for the same day in different cities. On the morning of, he asked me to speak at one on his behalf. With no time to prepare, dont think I could have performed more miserably than i did. Got back that afternoon and he asked how it went. Told him he didnt have to worry about any scheduling conflicts in the future. Didn't have to do any presentations for a while after that.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,722
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic