Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ain't going to be any college football season this fall.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

Ain't going to be any college football season this fall.

Aug 8, 2020, 8:24 AM

The players, administrators, college presidents and conferences will all go ball-less when it's time for the rubber to meet the road.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/jmu-suspends-fall-football/ar-BB17Iihb?ocid=msedgntp

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you're saying there will be?

Aug 8, 2020, 8:29 AM

Strange way of saying it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: So you're saying there will be?

Aug 8, 2020, 8:43 AM

I am okay with not having the season to protect the health and safety of the players!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2020, 8:50 AM

"Bad vibes , Moriarity, bad vibes" Kelley's Heroes.

Re: So you're saying there will be?***

Aug 8, 2020, 10:55 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

H1N1 had 60 million cases and nothin shut down. That’s 55M more cases than Covid

Aug 8, 2020, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Re: So you're saying there will be? ]

Protect the vulnerable. Let the rest live and stop politicizing this virus.

Re: H1N1 had 60 million cases and nothin shut down. That’s 55M more cases than Covid

Aug 8, 2020, 2:06 PM

And if Covid-19 was as tame as H1N1 we wouldn't have shut anything down either. But seeing as it's roughly 1000 times more deadly and has, in just 5 months, resulted in ~150,000 more deaths than H1N1 it warrants a different response.

I get what you're saying.

Aug 8, 2020, 11:43 PM [ in reply to H1N1 had 60 million cases and nothin shut down. That’s 55M more cases than Covid ]

But it should be mentioned that only 12-13k died from H1N1.

Aug 8, 2020, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Re: So you're saying there will be? ]

The best way to protect the vulnerable is to get the spreaders (teens and under 30s) away from them. In other words, make them all stay in schools and on college campuses!

Aug 8, 2020, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Re: So you're saying there will be? ]

I am okay with not having the season to protect the health and safety of the players!

So, are you okay with Trevor Lawrence’ career being over after only 2 years, Etienne and others. It’s awful that a “Generational Talent” like Lawrence only played 2 years!

Aug 8, 2020, 2:12 PM

If that means even one less person dies then yes, I'm okay with that.

It's baffling to me how okay you all are with 160000 dead and thousands more well on the way there.

Aug 8, 2020, 3:39 PM

And how exactly did not playing the season mean "1 less dies". My Lord, some of you go way overboard. So, of they play the season, tested... No one is playing a positive test, that means someone will die? And if they aren't, like they weren't since March, that means no players will still end up contracting it...like the ones did over the summer while they weren't practicing or playing at all, like Xavier, right? ??

Get some perspective.

Aug 8, 2020, 3:50 PM

What's so hard to understand about the fact that having 1000s of people traveling to and from different geographical areas every Saturday increases chance of widespread transmission? Maybe someone in Pittsburgh that otherwise wouldn't have contracted the virus does so and dies because they interact with a person who interacted with a Pitt player that caught it via interaction with a Clemson player that caught it via interaction with someone at Clemson. Without football that person doesn't die. There isn't a situation where playing football doesn't increase risk of spread beyond the immediate region where the team is based. 160000 people are dead because of this virus and all you care about is whether football is played or not. I don't think I'm the one that needs perspective.

Aug 8, 2020, 3:54 PM

Because you can't spread it if you don't have it. Again, where are you missing that they have to test negative to be allowed to play? Coaches have to as well. So they aren't spreading it if they are tested and don't have it. The ones that test positive have to quarantine and wouldn't BE traveling. ??. So that's thousands of negative tested players you are talking about, not thousands of positive ones.

Aug 8, 2020, 6:25 PM

So then point me to where daily testing is the plan. Because if you're testing on Wednesdays someone who becomes communicable on Friday isn't going to test positive. And they're going to spread it. By the time you remove them from the equation it's too late. And even if that were the plan, it depends on 100% specificity regarding negative results, something that current PCR tests don't come close to offering.

Aug 8, 2020, 8:51 PM

They never days daily, but many are pushing to 2 a week.

But hey, don't worry...my case just got made... By the players Themselves. Enjoy
https://www.tigernet.com/update/Tigers-take-to-Twitter-on-fate-of-season-We-want-to-play-35978

Aug 8, 2020, 9:03 PM

I didn't ask to be pointed to twice a week testing, I asked for daily. Twice a week isn't enough. You need daily. Particularly given the false negative rates of Covid PCR tests, particularly before day 5 of exposure.

And players wanting to play doesn't make your case. Their desire to play doesn't magically make it safer for everyone they come into contact with. There are good reasons why we aren't allowed to do certain things we may want to do because of how they may impact other people.

Aug 8, 2020, 8:51 PM [ in reply to Re: So you're saying there will be? ]

They never days daily, but many are pushing to 2 a week.

But hey, don't worry...my case just got made... By the players Themselves. Enjoy
https://www.tigernet.com/update/Tigers-take-to-Twitter-on-fate-of-season-We-want-to-play-35978

Aug 8, 2020, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Re: So you're saying there will be? ]

Also, you realize that without football, now that player gets free choice to do what he wants... Did anyone say no football means they stay locked down? So you think players not playing a sorry will all stay still, not go to restaurants, not go hang out with some friends like the rest of the youth of America has been doing? They are all going to stay squeaky clean nice little obedient people when they don't have a season to worry about? Lol. Ok....if you say so. Then explain how so many tested positive before they ever started practicing...oh, it was because they are athletes I suppose. Had nothing to do with what they were doing before they got back on campus...
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29336227/21-clemson-football-players-positive-covid-19-latest-testing

Aug 8, 2020, 6:25 PM

Why is it so hard to understand that this isn't just about the athletes. Is this supposed to be some "gotcha"? Because all I'm getting from this is that you fundamentally don't understand my argument.

Aug 8, 2020, 8:52 PM

Guess you aren't getting mine... Try reading what's said in here:

Aug 8, 2020, 9:02 PM [ in reply to Re: So you're saying there will be? ]

Your argument is very invalid... So, let's say they don't travel, one has it... So staying at home, not knowing you have it but do, hanging out with 20 friends isn't spreading it still? So if they don't play football, they aren't spreading it? Or did you only just move the spread from one place to another and it STILL happens? Make sure you are clear on how not playing yet being late, possibly even later, on finding out (being tested less than twice a week because it's now NOT mandatory to be) will make the CHANCE of spread less... Not just change where it happens.

Sorry, not buying that. It still would spread, possibly even more depending what the player is doing in his new found time off. And hey, what about those players that are from Florida, California (DJ??)... So they are safer going home than being in little ol Clemson? ??. Notice that's being said by a few in the new article?

Aug 8, 2020, 9:02 PM [ in reply to Re: So you're saying there will be? ]

Your argument is very invalid... So, let's say they don't travel, one has it... So staying at home, not knowing you have it but do, hanging out with 20 friends isn't spreading it still? So if they don't play football, they aren't spreading it? Or did you only just move the spread from one place to another and it STILL happens? Make sure you are clear on how not playing yet being late, possibly even later, on finding out (being tested less than twice a week because it's now NOT mandatory to be) will make the CHANCE of spread less... Not just change where it happens.

Sorry, not buying that. It still would spread, possibly even more depending what the player is doing in his new found time off. And hey, what about those players that are from Florida, California (DJ??)... So they are safer going home than being in little ol Clemson? ??. Notice that's being said by a few in the new article?

Aug 8, 2020, 8:27 PM [ in reply to Re: So you're saying there will be? ]

It's baffling to me how okay you all are with 160000 dead and thousands more well on the way there.

Can you prove to me that 160k have actually died from the “Kung Flu”? I’ll make it simple for you: YOU CANNOT!!!! Are you ok with all the Cancer Deaths, Congestive Heart Failure Deaths, Diabetes Deaths, Automobile Accident Deaths, Pneumonia Deaths, etc.? Sports, Businesses, Churches, Gyms, etc. have NEVER been shutdown due to these Deaths!

Aug 8, 2020, 8:58 PM

svaughan said:

Can you prove to me that 160k have actually died from the “Kung Flu”? I’ll make it simple for you: YOU CANNOT!!!! Are you ok with all the Cancer Deaths, Congestive Heart Failure Deaths, Diabetes Deaths, Automobile Accident Deaths, Pneumonia Deaths, etc.? Sports, Businesses, Churches, Gyms, etc. have NEVER been shutdown due to these Deaths!

I mean, I can: https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/, but I'm sure you're just going to tell me the CDC is a liberal hoax that's making up numbers. And you'll probably support your argument with an anecdote, not understanding that it's meaningless and proves nothing.

And of course nothing has been shut down for cancer, cardiovascular, diabetes, automobile deaths...these aren't contagious and people gathering in large groups doesn't increase the risk of any of them. I'm not sure if you thought you were making a compelling argument, but I'd suggest you head back to the drawing board.

Aug 8, 2020, 9:11 PM

Pssttt..I can tell you just 2 weeks ago, I got back from going for 2 days in Savannah and 9 days at Universal Studios in Orlando.... Wearing the CDC recommended masks where you were supposed to... And following that same CDC's recommendation for 2 FULL days at the Volcano Bay water park... Which is NO mask wearing. And not a one of the 4 of my family went with (coming from Mecklenburg County NC in the center of Charlotte.. The highest COVID country in NC by far) nor came back with any sickness nor any COVID. So you tell me following CDC recommendations, which they were, means you can't successfully be in areas with a bunch of people.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/attractions/2020/07/28/no-coronavirus-outbreaks-linked-to-florida-theme-parks

Re: So you're saying there will be?***

Aug 8, 2020, 10:08 PM [ in reply to Re: So you're saying there will be? ]

Aug 8, 2020, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Re: So you're saying there will be? ]

svaughan said:

I mean, I can: https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/, but I'm sure you're just going to tell me the CDC is a liberal hoax that's making up numbers. And you'll probably support your argument with an anecdote, not understanding that it's meaningless and proves nothing.

And of course nothing has been shut down for cancer, cardiovascular, diabetes, automobile deaths...these aren't contagious and people gathering in large groups doesn't increase the risk of any of them. I'm not sure if you thought you were making a compelling argument, but I'd suggest you head back to the drawing board.

The fact that you cite the CDC makes your argument invalid. Although funded by the Federal Government(Taxpayers), they are in bed with BIG PHARMA!!! A close friend of mine was the Power of Attorney for his Uncle who passed away 6 weeks ago. He had Cancer for 4.5 years and entered the Hospital 61/2 weeks ago. He was never given a Covid Test, however, they had the GALL to list his Cause of Death as Covid. Needless to say my friend went ballistic! Also, a guy in Florida died in a Motorcycle accident — Cause of death: “Covid”. FOLLOW THE MONEY!

Aug 8, 2020, 11:00 PM [ in reply to Re: So you're saying there will be? ]

As far as I know, there haven't been any issues with the international soccer leagues, even in Brasil where the virus is currently as bad/worse than the US. The basketball bubble has worked, but the MLB hasn't because nobody has been respecting the situation.

If the conferences can get together a good, preventative plan in place then let's do it. So far, I think they're doing OK. Why jump the gun and start cancelling things?

Re: Ain't going to be any college football season this fall.

Aug 8, 2020, 8:50 AM

Look it’s one thing to cancel basketball right at the outset of this whole thing. It’s quite another to cancel the main money-making sport as it continues to build momentum with schedules being made and practices starting.

Basketball had a lot of momentum when it was canceled.

Aug 8, 2020, 10:38 AM

Much more than football does now.

Recall that the basketball season was in the middle of conference tournaments, with NCAA Tournament due to start soon.

The difference is that the virus then was somewhat unknown, and now we know a lot more about it. The sad thing is that football season this year would have been a lot more likely if people would just wear masks and distance as was recommended from the start.

Sadly, the “don’t tell me what to do” and “this is all overblown” crowd are reaping what they sowed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

The WHO deserves a large percentage of the blame for lying

Aug 8, 2020, 11:49 AM

about not needing masks at first in a manipulative attempt to horde supplies for the frontline, so there's that as well

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

downvote all you want, I'm still right about being lied to

Aug 8, 2020, 12:41 PM

by the WHO and the media

Re: The WHO deserves a large percentage of the blame for lying

Aug 8, 2020, 2:15 PM [ in reply to The WHO deserves a large percentage of the blame for lying ]

Because they American people have shown they have no restraint when it comes to panic purchasing. It was a necessary move to prevent the public from treating PPE like they did toilet paper or hand sanitizer. It's almost like if we were a more educated, empathetic, and understanding society they could have been up front with us from the beginning.

They manipulated the public with lies and then changed their

Aug 8, 2020, 6:19 PM

stance weeks later, can you not see how their credibility was damaged?

Re: They manipulated the public with lies and then changed their

Aug 8, 2020, 6:27 PM

Of course their credibility was damaged. They also had to manipulate the public to keep the public from preventing healthcare providers that needed the materials far more from being unable to get them, because the public is stupid and reactionary.

They would have been far better off contacting manufacturing

Aug 8, 2020, 9:18 PM

or distributors directly and securing their equipment THAT way, it's not like hospitals get their medical supplies from Walmart like the rest of us guy...All they did was prove they couldn't be trusted and now you're trying to blame the victims of their manipulation for not believing they are completely full of ####...It's the public's fault for not believing them after they were caught in a blatant lie? Can't make this #### up

Please explain how wearing masks would've made football

Aug 8, 2020, 10:55 PM [ in reply to Basketball had a lot of momentum when it was canceled. ]

more likely. Please try to discuss rationally, reasonably, logically, and factually. No feelings and no TDs. Thanks.

Aug 8, 2020, 10:00 AM

The US has morphed into a ball-less society. Learn to speak Chinese quickly, comrade.

Name a Real CFB program that has dropped

Aug 8, 2020, 10:03 AM

Big $ programs will fight to play

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct, because they seem to care more about playing and making money

Aug 8, 2020, 10:39 AM

than they do about health and safety.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Your opinion of course - not fact.. simply BS.

Aug 8, 2020, 10:59 AM

Your premise only works when you make assumptions.
1. You would be saying that if football is not played, then no player or fan of any team in the country will get Covid.
2. You would be saying that the facilities around football (with tests, controls, dieticians, drs, etc) are more unsafe than running the streets, parties, etc in cities, towns etc around the country. That a controlled environment is worse than not.

So, based on your premise - football and sports is an enabler to Covid.

Then, let’s look at data. There has been 225 deaths in the age group 14-25. (Per CDC). That is .0015%. A percentage (perhaps all) had underlying medical conditions. Do you really believe that this number in a controlled environment balloons up?

I would contend that playing sports makes the players, families - safer.

If a player or family has a underlying condition - then fine - opt out. But reality is that players with underlying conditions - generally don’t play sports.

There is no magic pill or shot. Live your life.

Sports is about money - but to say what you did is quite a leap to say they don’t care.

Assumptions are being made all around, on both sides.

Aug 8, 2020, 1:39 PM

1. Of course not playing doesn’t guarantee that no players or coaches will get COVID. I’m sure some will get it regardless. But logic tells us that not having a season will reduce - and possibly significantly reduce - the chances that those involved will get COVID. And that’s the whole point of limiting large gatherings. We want to reduce spread as much as possible.

2. This is a good point I haven’t heard before. It would be interesting to know how controlled the team environment is, and if that is better or worse than what players and coaches would be doing otherwise in terms of masks and isolation. My concern is that a football team is a lot of people together at once, many times in very close contact.

I agree that a balance has to be struck between safety and living life. Playing football isn’t essential to life, as much as we all enjoy it.

Finally, I NEVER said that programs that want to play football don’t care about health or safety. I know they do, especially Clemson. But insisting on having a season despite rising numbers of COVID cases and deaths suggests that football schools care more about playing (and the income from playing) than they do about health and safety. There really isn’t any other way to look at it.

Re: Correct, because they seem to care more about playing and making money

Aug 8, 2020, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Correct, because they seem to care more about playing and making money ]

So of the 30+ people who tested positive on the Clemson team/staff how had serious health risk?

We don’t know.

Aug 8, 2020, 1:41 PM

We also don’t know who they might have transmitted it to, and how it has affected those people’s health.

It isn’t as simple as saying that these players are young and aren’t likely to have any issues. What about players’ families? What about coaches and their families?

Re: Correct, because they seem to care more about playing and making money

Aug 8, 2020, 1:06 PM [ in reply to Correct, because they seem to care more about playing and making money ]

The Clemson football program will protect them more than they will protect themselves otherwise.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a really interesting point I had not though about before.

Aug 8, 2020, 1:42 PM

I suppose it depends on how well the players and coaches are distancing and wearing masks outside of the football team activities.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the majority of the lower division schools cancel football

Aug 8, 2020, 10:58 AM

I think public sentiment will turn more and more against the bigger D1 schools and put alot of pressure on them to cancel football. When the only schools left playing football are the ones profiting off of football it's going to look pretty bad publicly, particularly in the current climate of athletes seeking compensation.

Re: If the majority of the lower division schools cancel football

Aug 8, 2020, 12:46 PM

What is the "science" for them not playing? Of course the follow the science crowd only like to use it when it advances their agenda ..... whatever it happens to be.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is one reason why I suggested a few weeks ago that Clemson decide to cancel the season.

Aug 8, 2020, 1:47 PM [ in reply to If the majority of the lower division schools cancel football ]

It shows the world that we value player and coach health and safety over football.

It would be crappy to not have a season, but at least by choosing to cancel it’s on our terms and we can be a leader in doing the right thing.

I still don’t think there will be a season. Too many cases and deaths still out there, and there will be too much pressure to cancel as there are more cases/deaths and other teams not able (or willing) to play.

Sweden never did Shut Down and their Death Rate

Aug 8, 2020, 1:50 PM

Is lower than USA!

Re: Sweden never did Shut Down and their Death Rate

Aug 8, 2020, 1:54 PM

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/510922-the-problem-with-holding-up-sweden-as-an-example

Re: This is one reason why I suggested a few weeks ago that Clemson decide to cancel the season.

Aug 8, 2020, 2:29 PM [ in reply to This is one reason why I suggested a few weeks ago that Clemson decide to cancel the season. ]

The problem with that fallacy is your logical conclusion should be to disband the Clemson football program permanently to show concern for player and coach safety over football. I doubt one single player passes through 4 years of major college football and comes out on the other side unscathed. Many injure tendons, suffer concussions, tear ligaments and break bones and some at a particular school even undergo surgery for sprained ankles. Coaches are enduring stress through the recruiting process, travel and job security concerns.

It’s one thing to play football knowing that it’s an inherently dangerous sport.

Aug 8, 2020, 4:33 PM

One can either play or choose not to.

Introducing a pandemic that has impacted millions of people, and continues to impact more, into the equation is a different matter altogether.

Apples and oranges.

No, all the players have shown up eyes open, everybody knows

Aug 9, 2020, 2:57 AM

what's at stake and they are all appear willing to take that additional risk

it keeps creeping up

Aug 8, 2020, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Name a Real CFB program that has dropped ]

First it was “who cares it’s D3”. Then “who cares it’s FCS” now it’s “who cares it’s UCONN or the MAC”

I agree

Aug 8, 2020, 2:38 PM

High school football teams reported back last week in my county and all schools started on Wednesday in my county.

2 positives on the high school team Thursday. 2 more on Friday.
2nd grade teacher tested positive on Thursday in another school.

All a waste of time. We might as well accept catching it.

hey at least they can protest and riot

Aug 8, 2020, 2:40 PM

that is not affected by the WuFlu

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2020, 11:12 PM

MLB is having a hard time fielding teams. I can’t imagine that college football won’t have the same problems and before you know it there’s going to be enough teams with enough players out that they just won’t be able to continue playing. They may start the season but I don’t think they’ll finish it.

Well I haven't heard anything from anybody cancelling the season..

Aug 9, 2020, 1:01 AM

So don't know where you're hearing this from...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic