Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Tony Elliott says offensive line won the line of scrimmage against Pitt
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

TNET: Tony Elliott says offensive line won the line of scrimmage against Pitt

Nov 30, 2020, 12:27 PM

Tony Elliott says offensive line won the line of scrimmage against Pitt

Offensive coordinator Tony Elliott met with the media Monday morning, and he said the game film shows better effort than he saw at first glance Saturday. That includes a better and more physical effort from the offensive line. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Tony Elliott says offensive line won the line of scrimmage against Pitt

Nov 30, 2020, 12:41 PM

A lot of the people on t-net will disagree with this...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Tony Elliott says offensive line won the line of scrimmage against Pitt

Nov 30, 2020, 12:43 PM

When it’s so subtle that the OC himself doesn’t see it until going back and looking for it, that’s not all that reassuring.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nov 30, 2020, 3:23 PM

The good thing about it all year, it that these guys are young, or playing their first year of snaps as starters, and they will get better. And the bright side side is, our more talented offensive players are true freshman, RS freshman, and Sophomore, with I think 5 of those true freshman being 4 stars coming in.

Since Dabo has been our HC, when things are looking Dim, there is always pretty talented youngsters being coached up to help late in the season, or getting ready to claim their spot early next season. So finishing this regular season with a OT loss, (9-1) and a chance to redeem the loss, and with FSU cowering down, I'm fine with this screwed up season. And as an ole timer, I have suffered through many seasons that were much worse.... Go Tigers, and let's finish this covid-19 season strong!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2020, 10:59 PM

I agree with you. I believe in Elliott and Dabo.
I am so used to a barely 8-4 Clemson from yester years. We run differrently and the make up of our OL is differrent. A 1 loss (halfway) season is not something to cry about. I am cheering for a ND blowout in Charlotte.
Tigers fan being unhappy is nothing new. Ask them to be a UofSC fan for 1 day :)

Nov 30, 2020, 11:23 PM

Who is Tigers’ fan?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2020, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Tony Elliott says offensive line won the line of scrimmage against Pitt ]

I thought we ran it pretty well. You have to grade on a curve against Pitt. Their normal defense is to stack the box. Week to week and year to year that is what they do. They are always among the best at stopping the run as a result. But, they are high in defensive P.I. and giving up passing yards because they leave their CB's on an island all the time.
So, with that kept in mind, I thought the OL played well!

We will see against VT who plays more of a traditional defense.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you’re saying even though we KNEW what they were doig

Nov 30, 2020, 1:06 PM

We still couldn’t run against them. That’s not good bro!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Well knowing the defense is going to stack the box doesnt

Nov 30, 2020, 1:30 PM

help you run the ball. It's not like we knew the exact play calls.

Re: Well knowing the defense is going to stack the box doesnt

Nov 30, 2020, 5:38 PM

But But, I thought we were the best signal stealers of college FB!!!

Re: So you’re saying even though we KNEW what they were doig

Nov 30, 2020, 1:32 PM [ in reply to So you’re saying even though we KNEW what they were doig ]

ETN, Dixon, and Mellusi combined for 25 carries for 131 yards and 4 touchdowns. That's an average of 5.24 yards per carry. How does that equal not being able to run the ball?

Nov 30, 2020, 7:01 PM

Stop confusing us with facts.

Nov 30, 2020, 2:34 PM [ in reply to So you’re saying even though we KNEW what they were doig ]

What would be good?

Case of the confused

Nov 30, 2020, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Tony Elliott says offensive line won the line of scrimmage against Pitt ]

I too thought we ran well. First half we were knocking some holes. Well, qtr and 1/2 the second. I compared ND numbers for running in a thread last night, and we had better run numbers than ND against Pitt.

Then, I get confused because the grading PFF article says it was our worst grade of the year on oline blocking. So which is it?

The only thing I can say is I watch other top teams play and the QB has 4-5 seconds with a clean pocket. Haven't measured ours but it seems Trevor only gets 2-3 seconds... Experts, correct me please. Tia

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2020, 3:54 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Tony Elliott says offensive line won the line of scrimmage against Pitt ]

We rushed for 145 yards against Pitt, and ND only rushed 115 yards on Pitt. ND passed 319 yards on Pitt, and we threw for 436 on Pitt. With a healthier offense and defense, there isn't any doubt in my mind that we are a better team than ND, and there isn't any doubt in my mind that Kelly, his entire coaching staff, and the entire ND team knows that they dodged a powerful bullet with all the injuries on both sides of the ball. I can't wait for our Tigers to gobble them up in the ACCCG. I just hope that we are just as healthy as we were facing Pitt, and it will be a very rude awakening for Kelly and his leprechauns, It will be magical delicious, for a Den of Death Valley Bengal Tigers!!!!

I thought they showed a huge improvement

Nov 30, 2020, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Tony Elliott says offensive line won the line of scrimmage against Pitt ]

There were actually holes for ETN to run through. Very exciting stuff.

We can win in all with this OL. I think they’ll only continue to get better.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2020, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Tony Elliott says offensive line won the line of scrimmage against Pitt ]

Opening play of the third quarter?

Nov 30, 2020, 1:41 PM

Yeah. Our skilled players need to learn how to protect/hold onto the football.

That's 4 games in a row now that they've turned the ball over.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am pretty sure

Nov 30, 2020, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Tony Elliott says offensive line won the line of scrimmage against Pitt ]

a bunch of fat a$$, couch surfers watching the game from home have a better grasp on the O-line's performance than an OC who has won 5 conference and 2 national championships.

Just sayin...

S/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

People Who Don't Understand We Played 5 Deep Into Running

Nov 30, 2020, 5:12 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Tony Elliott says offensive line won the line of scrimmage against Pitt ]

Backs and EVERY single O-Lineman we had. Had we played full bore the entire game rushing yards would have easily hit 225 or more. I trust T Elliot's assessment far more than the TNET virtual coaching conclave.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2020, 6:53 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Tony Elliott says offensive line won the line of scrimmage against Pitt ]

I’ve put off reading this one trying to avoid the rush to say we have no run game because of the OL...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2020, 12:46 PM

They may have won but only by the slimmest of margins.

Nov 30, 2020, 12:48 PM

Coach E gets his share of grief - including from me at times - but he is a quietly tough man who straps it up, earns a nice salary, does the right thing, and defers to Coach S when he needs to like all of us who have a boss. Thanks Coach E for doing what you do and representing your Alma Mater with class!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes I wonder if Tony even reads the bored***

Nov 30, 2020, 12:52 PM

Nov 30, 2020, 12:55 PM

Surprisd he would make that VT comment.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2020, 2:23 PM

Me too. Why taunt them about an exotic 3rd down package when you can keep mum about it and 3rd and Renf...sorry .. 3rd and Amari it all day?

Nov 30, 2020, 3:24 PM

It’s not like it’s the opening game of the season. Lots of film on both sides. Everyone knows what each other wants to do, the only question is can the players execute.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We ran for 3.8 YPC and ETN was still at just 5.3

Nov 30, 2020, 1:28 PM

But our top 3 backs were all over 5 YPC so i guess that's something.

It was better (how could it be worse?), but i wouldn't call it good. Baby steps i guess.

Re: We ran for 3.8 YPC and ETN was still at just 5.3

Nov 30, 2020, 1:36 PM

Keep in mind that the 3.8 average includes sacks, and the 2 runs at the end by Rencher.

So you're saying we should throw out sack yardage when

Nov 30, 2020, 3:58 PM

evaluating our OL?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lynn J had his best runs of the season so far

Nov 30, 2020, 5:38 PM [ in reply to We ran for 3.8 YPC and ETN was still at just 5.3 ]

That’s a pretty clear indicator we were doing a better job blocking.

Walker Parks looks like a good one. I expect to see him more often down the stretch.

I’m not saying LJD isn’t a good back, very few can break tackles like ETN

Nov 30, 2020, 1:34 PM

Perhaps the OL played better overall... but the starting RT and LG still need to be better than they were on Saturday. On the bright side, Parks looked really good in relief of the RT.

Nov 30, 2020, 1:54 PM

On mutliple occasions the RT failed to even make contact with their DE who proceeded straight to TL16 and either sacked him or hit him after the throw. I get that we stink at run blocking, but even the pass protection was suspect on Saturday. Bama is not going miss that on tape.

Nov 30, 2020, 1:46 PM

3.8 ypc average is not a bad rushing day especially against a team that gears up to stop the run.

3 downs x 3.8 yds = First down.

If only it worked like that

Nov 30, 2020, 7:04 PM

Averaging 3.8 yards per play will get you a bunch of losses.

I'll bet he does...Bless his heart***

Nov 30, 2020, 1:58 PM

Nov 30, 2020, 2:03 PM

I'm sorry but the Tigers offensive line (and offense in general) in the last half of the 2nd quarter and the first part of the 3rd looked bad. They took their foot off the gas and Dabo let them know it in his tirades. The game should have been more of a blowout than it was already!!

Nov 30, 2020, 2:10 PM

TNET article re game grades had Pro Football Focus (dont know anything about them) giving the
OL worst grade of the season at 58.9. However good to see 150 yds rushing after sub 100 yard efforts
in the last couple games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

I mean is he wrong?

Nov 30, 2020, 2:19 PM

.....yes, yes he's wrong.

The oline has played awful all season. Get better and recruit better!

Nov 30, 2020, 2:49 PM

The Oline was definitely better but still has a ways to go. Glad we have another tune-up before the rematch.

Ummm......***

Nov 30, 2020, 3:27 PM

Don't pee down my back and tell me its raining

Nov 30, 2020, 4:43 PM

as stated in another post, it's not just the running game which has generated little movement off the ball. It was also in pass protection Saturday. Don't get me wrong, Pittsburgh has a pretty decent pass rushing line. But if you look there were a lot of passes that Trevor had to make quickly or even throw off of his back foot to get off. The flea flicker I understand because of the nature of the play but if you look at that it was slightly under the throne because he couldn't step into it properly. It was just mostly pure arm Talent. Carmen and Bockhurst, two of our most senior guys either are getting flagged a lot or beaten badly. Carmen has all of the upside in the world and could be a day 1 draft choice in my opinion. It just seems like he's not developing. Love our guys and all of our coaches but I'm just not sure that Caldwell doesn't need to be either changing his approach or possibly heading out to pasture. I know that sounds harsh but question for you. When is the last offensive lineman it was drafted in the first round? How about the second? I'm not saying that we need to look like Wisconsin out there but every other position group has played and shown results at an elite level oh, I just have not seen it there for years.

Re: Don't pee down my back and tell me its raining

Nov 30, 2020, 5:09 PM

Y Can’t we look like Wisconsin?

Pitt Has #2 Rush Defense in Murica Brah***

Nov 30, 2020, 5:13 PM [ in reply to Don't pee down my back and tell me its raining ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2020, 4:47 PM

Btw, say that we all agree that Pittsburgh has a good defense and sold out to stop the run. Okay. I do think Notre Dame has probably the best front seven that we will see all year to include the playoffs. Okay, what about Boston College? What about Syracuse the game before that? How do we have the most dynamic running back in college football and I'm not sure but has he had more than one 100 yard plus rushing game? folks we can stick our heads in the sand and it's not like any of us can do anything about it anyway but to say that nothing is wrong or it's as good as ever is shortsighted in my opinion.7

I think everyone knows the OL is bad

Nov 30, 2020, 7:16 PM

I don't think anyone's head is in the sand at this point. The staff is well aware of the OL issues, and what we are getting in press conferences is simply coach speak. This is a struggling group that they clearly don't want to call out publicly. I trust that Dabo knows what buttons to push with his guys. We've heard him come out and be critical of certain players or position groups at times in the past, and we've also heard him do the opposite and try to build up the confidence of struggling players. Good coaches know which one their players need to hear, and, at least IMO, this is an OL group that is likely beaten down with a fragile confidence at this point. I think it's wise to attempt to build them up rather than beat them down further.

Re: I think everyone knows the OL is bad

Nov 30, 2020, 7:21 PM

I do agree that great leadership like Dabo and Staff know how to motivate via different methods for differentguys. So....to the love shack! Lol

Nov 30, 2020, 9:23 PM

Wow, don't remember a coach talking down about an opponent. Probably took 30 seconds for Va. Tech to post Tony's comments on each locker of the defensive players.

Nov 30, 2020, 9:42 PM

Or, from a non-coot perspective, he was asked a question to which he answered honestly.

FIFY

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic