Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why do we do this?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Why do we do this?

Jan 14, 2021, 9:38 AM

Maybe a little break we can take from the usual bickering over the presidency.

Ever stop to ask why you post regularly on this particular board? I've asked myself that often, and even at times said I'm going to stop because it's a waste of time.

Several years ago, I stopped posting because I felt I was wasting too much time on here. I would just lurk now and then, especially if there was big Clemson news. I guess I'm having a harder time doing that now. I can't really explain why I like to stay on here.

Obed® I think once said it best that it's kind of like we're all kinda wannabe high school debate team folks. We just want to get on here and argue controversy. Maybe it's our outlet so we don't do it with family and friends.

I think I also like this board because of the fresh topics. There's something new just about every week. That's why I don't really do much with the Mange anymore because a lot of the topics are rehashed year after year, with the exception of our newfound success. Either discussion of who should start, or whether a coach is good enough at whatever, or talk of the Coots, or comparing players from today to players of years ago, or making fun of Paaaawl Johnson/Walt "The Pahlms" Deptula. Nothing much fresh unless there's breaking news.

I tried to Lounge some, but I can get enough of that ####-ery with my friends in the neighborhood.

I dunno. Sometimes our conversations here get pretty testy, and we've some get real right #### personal. Yet we're back, day after day, bickering away.

I guess maybe I like Obed's explanation. It gives us that outlet to debate that we don't ordinarily have. And, I like to see all the perspectives, even if I don't agree with em.

I recently donated again to Tigernet (I forgot there are still old-days people who are still too fragile to handle it if a poster doesn't have an R by his name). I really just kept meaning too but kept forgetting (lies... actually, I finally leached enough welfare off the government to buy a membership). I understand that now gives me new powers and abilities, like ignoring people or giving out Thumbs Down. I'm not gonna do that, though. I think that's weak-minded. If you shut out a poster based on his opinions, or you just give an angry little TD because you don't like what they said, instead of talking about it, then what the #### is the point of being here?

Or maybe there isn't really a point at all.

Anyway. Deep thoughts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

I think I do it as an outlet so my family and friends

Jan 14, 2021, 9:48 AM

aren't the outlet. I have noticed that some of my best friendships are beginning to deteriorate because of political discourse. Its not that we argue back and forth, but when we do reach disagreements, its a "massive argument" in the other persons eyes and just a simple disagreement in mine. I've noticed that critical thinking is lost on a lot of folks and I don't like headline arguments where the person clearly didn't even open the link prior to sharing it. Id rather #### off Carlsbad® than some of my close friends.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Re: I think I do it as an outlet so my family and friends

Jan 14, 2021, 10:00 AM

Agree here. I've found myself just now biting my tongue (which has been hard in the past) when this someone I care about says something outrageous. I hung out with a few neighbors this past weekend, and thankfully, the topic of Jan. 6 didn't really come up because the group would have been split right down the middle, probably.

I guess this is our outlet to get it all off our chest with a bunch of strangers than to have it out with Dad or your best friend.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Within the past week I have muted groupchats

Jan 14, 2021, 10:11 AM

With my best man and two groomsmen from my wedding because of politics. We disagree, thats fine, I get it, but its just become a toilet bowl of tweet, headlines, uninformed opinions. Its unhealthy for me and unhealthy for relationships. The group was pretty much very republican when I met them all, but has slowly transitioned left (all of us, really), but my best man gets all of his information from CNN and r/pol, so he really truly only sees one side of every argument and its pretty dismissive of any other opinion.

My mother spent 3.75 years hating Donald Trump, just to vote for him. What changed her mind? The riots all summer. Now that is all she talks about every time I am around her. I think we, as a country, are intentionally being divided and secluded by media manipulation. Politics isn't this important. 99% of politics doesn't affect any of us day in and day out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Jan 14, 2021, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Re: I think I do it as an outlet so my family and friends ]

Yep. I think this forum is equivalent to driving in a place other than a small community. If someone cuts you off or putters at 15 miles under the speed limit in your neighborhood, you probably refrain from hammering on the horn or gesturing. In the city, you feel freer to express yourself. This is a big city at times.

With family or friends you are more apt to try to remain civil even when a 20 something with no real world experience tells you that you're uninformed. My tongue is still bleeding.

COVID has temporarily halted much of in person conversation, so here we are.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2021, 11:20 AM [ in reply to I think I do it as an outlet so my family and friends ]

My family is far more conservative than I, but they cannot discuss anything rationally. i don't mean that we disagree. I mean that they yell, and get red in the face, and storm off. I am just presenting a position and they feel threatened and get defensive. I like to discuss these kinds of things, but discussions immediately go to red-line arguments with them.

I love my extended family. They are really good-hearted people. But I cannot just talk with them about these things. So I try to avoid that.

I guess that in some weird, perverted way, you guys are my virtual family. Creepy, huh ?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't discuss politics or religion with friends or family

Jan 14, 2021, 12:19 PM

they know this and they typically just ask me for points of clarification with the government process.

I like your funny words magic man

Re: I don't discuss politics or religion with friends or family

Jan 14, 2021, 4:42 PM

So what?

Jan 14, 2021, 5:24 PM

He's your best friend since the 7th grade. That should matter over his political beliefs and your love for Trump.

Re: So what?

Jan 14, 2021, 5:36 PM

One of the most valuable parts, for me

Jan 14, 2021, 10:25 AM

is the opportunity to hear from people who have widely differing viewpoints, and having a place where we can get into the heart of the issues without the usual worries we have with our friends and family, that we're offending or driving a wedge between people.

It is great to hear honest and unreserved beliefs of people I disagree with because it teaches me to understand their worldview. Even if we end up rejecting someone's argument, we have a chance to give it a fair hearing beforehand.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One of the most valuable parts, for me

Jan 14, 2021, 10:40 AM

I don’t post often but just reading posts of others has helped me a lot in some of my real world relationships.

For example - CT88 has helped my relationship out a ton with my father in law. I think they are the same people ...even down to their deep admiration of Dershowitz and their quoting of the same scriptures. Reading CT88’s content gives me much better insight into my father in laws thought process, world view, and reasoning.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mainly because I'm bored and I like to argue***

Jan 14, 2021, 10:28 AM

I like your funny words magic man

you misspelled "chitpoast"***

Jan 14, 2021, 10:53 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've clicked "Cancel" SO many times.

Jan 14, 2021, 10:34 AM

And probably should click it more often. Sometimes it's hard to keep emotions in check; already posted something today I probably shouldn't have. Even still, different perspectives and viewpoints are nice to see, and like everyone else is saying, it helps me avoid bringing it up with people I have to see every day. Only two things that have seriously rubbed me the wrong way were when somebody faulted me for trying to find an unbiased news source, and when somebody fully condoned and praised the violence at the Capitol last week.

Re: Why do we do this?

Jan 14, 2021, 10:46 AM

I don't come over here very often. Usually I only post on the P&R bored if I am truly, genuinely disturbed about something in those arenas. Doesn't take long at all to see that conservatives must be a very small minority on here. And, as I just said in another post, even my definition of what I always thought a conservative was is now in question.

The only rational explanation I have for coming back for more is the old "Why do you beat your head against the wall? Because if feels so good when you stop."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A lot of reasons, I guess. Most of which you touch on.

Jan 14, 2021, 11:03 AM

I'm passed the age where it makes sense to have these political discussions with my friends, many of which passionately disagree with me but none of us are going to change our basic political philosophies. So I come here because it allows me to see some good discussions with people I pseudo-know. Also I find that I enjoy fleshing out my thoughts on certain topics and this provides a good place to do that. Also many of the conversations are very entertaining.

I don't donate anymore because, like you, I have no interest in blocking people or TD-ing them. I have no problem with other people blocking if it makes the experience more enjoyable (I think we all know that there are fringes on both sides of the political spectrum here that don't necessarily need to be engaged) and I don't mind people TD-ing me if that's the only commentary they wish to make on a topic, but I don't really think it's the best thing to do on P&R. It's fine on the Main Board just to knock someone badmouthing a player or just to say "You think Ross is better than Nuk...meh...disagree..." but on the P&R it's kind of a waste. Oh, someone on here disagrees with my political post? Well, duh.

Like you, I've tried a few times to step away but I do seem to enjoy it too much to stay away for long.

null

The biggest reason...

Jan 14, 2021, 11:12 AM

I actually wanted to donate was to be able to edit my posts (it bugs the #### out of me when I make a typo I can't fix) and to mix up the avatar. Stupid, I guess, but whatever.

It's become a bit of a habit when the circumstances...

Jan 14, 2021, 11:09 AM

are right for me...meaning normally at my desk and can multi-task, etc... (T3 to comment in 3,2,1...)

I have to say, the general level/quality of debate isn't the same in here as it used to be. Back in the day, it just seemed a little "higher level" based on my memory.

Debating folks here has helped me refine my own positions over the years and I've even changed my opinions on a few things as a result. The death penalty comes to mind first.

Re: It's become a bit of a habit when the circumstances...

Jan 14, 2021, 11:29 PM

You're not a real CEO of a real company if you can take time to post here.

clearly***

Jan 14, 2021, 11:14 AM

The quality wasn't better. You were dumber.

Jan 14, 2021, 9:48 PM [ in reply to It's become a bit of a habit when the circumstances... ]

So was I. We're probably seeing the same quality as before, but we've learned a lot and we're started to realize how dumb a lot of it is.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spoon's right. It was worse.

Jan 14, 2021, 10:14 PM

It was nastier and more personal. That was back in the day where you had more than one T3 trying to find out personal info on others and punish them for their opinions. There were definitely people back then who didn't belong on the Internet. Thankfully those people have left.

Re: Spoon's right. It was worse.

Jan 14, 2021, 10:50 PM

Re: Spoon's right. It was worse.

Jan 15, 2021, 8:01 AM

You had an argument with Flow and said you tried to look up who CEOs were for various Anderson companies because you thought he was located there. Then you tried to ask him where he was CEO, all before attacking him with what personal info you had.

You've shown an obsession here with getting personal details on people so you can attack them on them.

No, I mean further back than that...

Jan 15, 2021, 7:39 AM [ in reply to Spoon's right. It was worse. ]

I joined in 2003, so I'm guessing the 2004-2007 range. I remember (and maybe not all that accurately) it being less personal and definitely before all the personal information stuff happened. But i freely admit I might be running different periods together. I'm also not good at remembering many handles from back then.

Sterling and 3rdGen come to mind.

Re: No, I mean further back than that...

Jan 15, 2021, 8:02 AM

No, you had the time period right. That 03-07 time, mainly due to the Iraq war and a few certain posters actually believing people should face punishment if they opposed the war. It seemed far more personal then.

Ok, agree, but finish the sentence.... :-)

Jan 15, 2021, 8:14 AM

Those who wanted Bush tied up and air-dropped in front of The Hague had similar sentiments for those who felt the war was based on flawed intel.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ok, agree, but finish the sentence.... :-)

Jan 15, 2021, 8:33 AM

I'm not sure who advocated that former part, but I remember plenty saying American citizens who opposed the war needed to be tried for sedition.

How does the posi-trac on a Plymouth work?

Jan 14, 2021, 11:26 AM

It just does

I enjoy the debate...

Jan 14, 2021, 12:40 PM

and the tomfoolery. And I learn a lot between what people post and my efforts to comment intelligently on things.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I learn a lot from being on here, and I think I gain some

Jan 14, 2021, 3:56 PM

much needed humility, because while I usually can hold my own, I get flat out smoked in our amateur debates once in a while, and Lord knows I learn some patience.

I doubt there are many times that I've flat out changed someone's mind in a single discussion, and mine hasn't probably really been changed in that short of a turnaround either, but I like to think that opinions can evolve, mine included, from osmosis over time. Also, I'm about the least evangelical person you'll ever meet, but I am a Christian and a conservative, and I do my best to behave in a way that I hope lets others know we aren't all walking around scowling with sticks up our culos.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's rare to hear someone try to silence another on this forum

Jan 14, 2021, 4:21 PM

Plus the mods seem to let people get away with a good bit. And I'm assuming most everyone here is a Clemson fan, so you can't be all bad.

I am here to meet chicks.***

Jan 14, 2021, 4:23 PM

Re: I am here to meet chicks.***

Jan 14, 2021, 4:32 PM

pigtailedtigerpiccolo

Jan 14, 2021, 4:33 PM

Jan 14, 2021, 9:00 PM

Good thread!

Getting out frustration is one reason, but if I were to be honest, I only come to read Catahoula®'s opinions because I am trying to raise myself up to his level. :)

I like to see and gauge responses from various factions. I mean the thread when Carlsbad says he watches the 3 main networks and PBS for news just floors me and confirms to me the theory that propaganda works. So that is part of why I read this board.

plus there are some really funny posts too!

Jan 14, 2021, 9:19 PM

Good deal, NC_Tiger_. Hey, don't forget to answer this one:

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Hold-up-28508680

Jan 14, 2021, 9:44 PM

Ah, okay, I was wondering what in the world you were talking about...further elaboration:

What the first part of this (below ***) gets to is conversion of the USA to a socialist country. Has nothing to do with Trump. IMO treason (or something close to it) should include, I admit it would be hard to write down in a thorough way, efforts to redefine the basic capitalist and market-driven nature of the USA that guarantees individual freedoms to a gov't controlled (socialized) country. The founding fathers never intended the USA to be anything close to a socialist country. Indeed the breadth and depth of federal gov't control/influence today is far more than was intended.

Looks like I hit the nail on the head for the second part (I suppose I agree with AOC on this one) - social media monopolies need to go.

Re: universities...this is a big problem and a small window into it is the Swalwell situation. Too many Chinese citizens all over our university systems. Another example: one of the top 3 Iranian nuclear scientists went to school at MIT on our tax dollars. Being in the defense business, I have first-hand experience and knowledge of the Chinese (and Russian) cyber threats. It's real and a big problem.

Beginning with the newly established Republican control, we will redefine Treason, Conspiracy, and Espionage to include half of the chit being said/done by the socialist, communist wing of the democratic party. We will begin locking those individuals up and simultaneously shutting them up.

Social media giants will be broken up. Regulations will be rolled back. Neilson (ratings company) will be convicted of falsifying data. Universities will be defunded and only US citizens will reap benefits of taxpayer funded research. Universities eliminate BS majors that are meaningless. The economy will be on a roll. Minorities finally get it - that democrats are very, very bad for them.

Here's why your (fascist) scenario doesn't work

Jan 14, 2021, 10:10 PM

Because it too flies in the face of what our founding fathers intended. Tagging you again so you don't dodge this, NC_Tiger_

Beginning with the newly established Republican control, we will redefine Treason, Conspiracy, and Espionage to include half of the chit being said/done by the socialist, communist wing of the democratic party. We will begin locking those individuals up and simultaneously shutting them up.

Treason has been clearly defined as aiding a foreign enemy of our country against us. Our founding fathers clearly defined that because they knew that tyrants and people who supported them would fabricate treason charges against citizens who spoke out against them.

What you're calling for is a one-party system, which is simply a third-world dictatorship. The Dems are about to have complete control. Would you want them to do the same to Republicans? No? Good. That's how it has to be. You're already proposing a dictatorship.

You simply want political opposition imprisoned. That's not a trait of a free nation.

Social media giants will be broken up.

This goes against a free market. I thought you said you were conservative? On one hand, you yammer on about capitalism and democracy, and a market-driven nation, yet you say in the same breath that you want the government to break up companies. You don't seem to grasp what "market-driven" or capitalism means.

Regulations will be rolled back.

What you're calling for will create more regulations.

Neilson (ratings company) will be convicted of falsifying data.

No, they don't, and if they did, that's not a crime, and that's a weird thing to hone in on. It's a First Amendment violation if you change the laws to punish them.

Universities will be defunded and only US citizens will reap benefits of taxpayer funded research.

Public universities are primarily funded by state tax dollars and tuition/fees. To "defund them" federally would mean the federal government would wrest control from the states to cripple universities. Again, I thought you said you were a conservative? You said earlier "Indeed the breadth and depth of federal gov't control/influence today is far more than was intended." But now you want them to step over the states to crush their state-funded schools.

If successful, do you understand the devastating effect that would have on research in this nation? Basically, you hate ideas that aren't your own and want them stifled, and you think universities produce them. In short, you just simply hate free expression.

And I'm just going to assume your hypocrisy isn't also extending into private universities.

Universities eliminate BS majors that are meaningless.

Who the #### cares? If someone wants to spend their money to study them, how does that affect you? How does it hurt America?

The economy will be on a roll.

Not with this scenario. What you want will create more federal government spending and require more fed jobs to execute. The market will plummet in such a lack of freedom. It would be devastating... just like it is in other countries that adopt similar draconian laws.

Minorities finally get it - that democrats are very, very bad for them.

Oh, they'll get that under your system? Under your system:
-They'll go to prison if they don't obey Republican ideology.
-An economy that makes them poorer.
-Little access to higher education opportunities.

Yeah, they'll love it.

This is the irony of people like you who claim to preach smaller government and more freedom, i.e., what you claim will happen under continued Trumpism. To create y'all's twisted view of the world, it actually requires more government and less freedom.

If I’m being totally honest

Jan 15, 2021, 6:11 AM

I view this site on general so it just shows up in my feed

Then I get sucked into your petty arguments over things you can’t change

I like to read bat

Jan 15, 2021, 6:44 AM

Sheet crazy poasts...and make a list (growing faster than kudzu) of the people I never want to meet! My suspicion is many are schizo...but until it's proven, the list is long.

My opinion, otherwise, doesn't matter...so I just (try to) keep my 'mouth' shut and amuse myself with the 'flashes of brilliance in this septic tank of mediocrity'! ;)

Go Tigers...that matters more than anything else...here!

Re: I like to read bat

Jan 15, 2021, 7:57 AM

I would meet just about anyone here and have beers. That said, only Miura doesn't make the cut. He seems like he might have some perverted stuff on his mind.

Happy to oblige.***

Jan 15, 2021, 8:03 AM [ in reply to If I’m being totally honest ]

I come back to remind myself how good I really have it

Jan 15, 2021, 8:01 AM

because this place is full of nut jobs - myself excluded, of course. P&R reminds me that there really is a type of person that will never be teddy-bear like to me. More like "kick the can" type. I love coming here so I can tell my real friends that I can relate to their woes because i have experieinced it here.

This place is the worst, and the people are worser,

Hey, when we having a cookout? :)

Message was edited by: HuntClub® Replaced TNET with P&R

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic