Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So the best 3 teams in the nation are imo...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

So the best 3 teams in the nation are imo...

Dec 5, 2020, 12:55 PM

in no order

Clemson
Ohio State
Bama

It seems there is a drop-off between the top 3 imo. Who is the 4th best team?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

bama clemson and nd..ohio state

Dec 5, 2020, 12:56 PM

has only looked good against bad teams

Re: bama clemson and nd..ohio state

Dec 5, 2020, 1:01 PM

Ohio State is stacked. They are definitely a top 3 team. That's a given. I am not talking about deserving, but who is the best when healthy. Clemson, Bama, and Ohio State are at a different level in talent than the rest of the nation. I just wonder who the 4th best. ND is nothing special. That's basically a bye for any healthy team that gets them in the playoff. There is such a drop-off for the 4th team. Florida and ND are probably pretty similar. It's pretty much a 3 team race to win it all.

they have played one team with a winning record

Dec 5, 2020, 1:09 PM

and looked no where near dominant in that game

Re: they have played one team with a winning record

Dec 5, 2020, 1:18 PM

The Indiana game wasn't as close as the score. Ohio State was up by 21 in the 4th quarter. BC played us within 6 and they suck, but of course we were without players. It's an odd year. We haven't beaten anyone either that's amazing, although I know we are a top 3 team when healthy. I really think it is between us and Bama, but Ohio State is there. I am glad Bama will be without Waddle though.

indiana had a shot to win the game at the end

Dec 5, 2020, 1:18 PM

d

Re: indiana had a shot to win the game at the end

Dec 5, 2020, 1:23 PM

It was a nice comeback. I bet on it. Indiana is a well coached team who plays with heart. That one WR is a stud too. I am just saying if they played 10 times, Ohio State would probably win maybe all of them. It was just an odd game. We have played down to teams in the past too, even when we won it all a couple of times at the end of the year or were in the Championship.

Dec 5, 2020, 1:36 PM

By that logic UGA should be a top 3 team in the nation then because they're stacked. No we didn't give up a point to BC in the 2nd half. OSU crumbled once Indiana stopped pouring turnovers into their hands.

yep indiana was within 7 with over 10 to play

Dec 5, 2020, 1:37 PM

they were very much in that game

Re: yep indiana was within 7 with over 10 to play

Dec 5, 2020, 1:45 PM

Not to mention an ill advised pick 6 and a questionable fumble on about the 5 from running into the ref. OSU was not in control and let of Indiana just started executing and OSU DBs couldn't handle Indiana WRs in that matchup.

Dec 5, 2020, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Re: indiana had a shot to win the game at the end ]

Georgia has lost two games though and they aren't stacked at QB. If Georgia had Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields they would be a top 4 team of course. I am not sure who wins the game between ND and UGA though even now if they ever played. I think there is a drop-off after 3 teams.

Dec 5, 2020, 1:54 PM

ND quite possibly is the best or 2nd best defense in the country. They're legit. Book is a gamer but not a great QB however they have weapons around him. They're without argument top 3 then now that you're bringing up not UGA from 2 losses since they have a win vs Clemson. I just don't think people are giving credit where it's due with ND they're not flashy but they're physical and punching people in the mouth at the point of attack and winning football games by physicality so people aren't noticing as much about them I think they're legit especially after watching them vs us of course with a lot of asterisks but nobody expected them to put up 40+ on us even with the attrition we had that week.

Dec 5, 2020, 2:01 PM

ND has a solid D. They gave up some points this year. We scorched them, aside running the ball, but we have had issues vs everyone it seems. BC isn't that good and they did well vs ND. I think FSU might have put some points up too, but I can't recall. That was the season opener I believe. They have a good D, without question. That said, I don't think Ian Book is good enough at QB. I just don't see it. They are definitely a top 6 caliber team. They could be the 4th best? They aren't top 3 though. I was just thinking about the 4th spot. It could be them?

Dec 5, 2020, 2:14 PM

Ohio state is giving up 10 more points per game vs worse offenses though. BC was held under 50% outgained by 200 yards and lost by 2 scores despite ND giving them 3 turnovers. Indiana isn't that good and they did amazing vs OSU. 1-5 Penn state did better vs OSU than BC vs ND despite OSU having 0 turnovers. UNC was held to 1/2 their average for this year vs ND. Getting down into the nit picky OSU falls further in my mind. Weaker schedule weaker showing doesn't help too much. Agree they're more talented, disagree they're playing like it.

Dec 5, 2020, 2:19 PM

Fair enough.

Dec 5, 2020, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Re: bama clemson and nd..ohio state ]

Carl,

I disagree. They are not fancy or flashy, but they very strong line play on both sides of the ball and Booker is underrated. I think they can be beaten, but it will not be an easy out for anyone.

The ACC championship is going to be a real ballgame, regardless of the final score.

Dec 5, 2020, 2:17 PM

I can't wait to watch it after all this banter on here. It should be great with their OL, DL, and TE's. They have some studs. We will have 3 more studs on D though and they will be the same. Zanders will be in on all game too. Xavier Thomas is also only getting better. We are going to be a lot better, if healthy. Can't wait. That's why I don't even want to make up the FSU game. Let's just be healthy and covid free.

Re: So the best 3 teams in the nation are imo...

Dec 5, 2020, 1:32 PM

ND is #4 for sure. I can’t believe some of the comments on here. Let me remind everyone... we LOST to ND. They are great in the trenches and their D is really really good. We could hardly get a yard on the ground against them. What am I missing?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ancient history

Dec 5, 2020, 1:35 PM

They lose to Sarahcuse today

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ancient history

Dec 5, 2020, 2:06 PM

Neal,

I'll take THAT bet for $100.

Dec 5, 2020, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: So the best 3 teams in the nation are imo... ]

You’re missing that we almost beat them with our fourth string defense for starters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2020, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Re: So the best 3 teams in the nation are imo... ]

We lost to ND missing key players. That doesn't mean much. I don't think ND is at the same level we are with everyone healthy and playing. Having Tyler Davis, Mike Jones, Shalski, and Trevor Lawrence things are different. Were we missing anyone else?

Dec 5, 2020, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Re: So the best 3 teams in the nation are imo... ]

ND is #4 for sure. I can’t believe some of the comments on here. Let me remind everyone... we LOST to ND. They are great in the trenches and their D is really really good. We could hardly get a yard on the ground against them. What am I missing?

You are missing the undeniable fact Clemson played without it's best two defensive players! Not just two defensive players, but if you include Zanders who went out the game after 5 minutes in the 1st a total of 4 defensive starters(Jones). And OBTW, a 3 year starter at QB who could have gotten the offense in and out of more favorable plays! DJU was also hurt that game and they didn't use the QB run game as a result.

In short, Clemson was banged up badly and played "in Indiana" with a freshman QB and still it took everything for ND to win! They won't always be that lucky!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2020, 1:44 PM

I totally get that but their D is legit. Think about it... we had our starting O line and ETN and could not run the ball. We had over 400 yards of passing. We definitely should beat them in the ACC championship but I’d say they are definitely the 4th best team.

Dec 5, 2020, 1:37 PM

ND doesn’t compare to the rosters of the other 3, but they certainly have earned their spot in the top 4. Short handed or not, we lost to them. I respect them for that.

Dec 5, 2020, 1:40 PM

ND they have earned. I am just going by who I think are the best with real chances to win it all.

Dec 5, 2020, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Re: So the best 3 teams in the nation are imo... ]

I just hope we can beat that ND team you left out in the ACCC.

Dec 5, 2020, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: So the best 3 teams in the nation are imo... ]

I agree. Clemson is a very good team, but give ND credit. They beat us. We lost. Now, do I believe they are the better team now (today). No. But, on the Saturday we played they beat us.

Dec 5, 2020, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Re: So the best 3 teams in the nation are imo... ]

Much respect to the team winning at home against our fourth string D and second string true freshmen QB that played hurt so the coaches tailored the game plan to protect him.

HTH

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2020, 1:39 PM

I hear what you’re saying, Carlsbad, and I contest Ohio St on the grounds that they will not play enough games. Assertion: playing games matters. Choices and consequences matter. The sins of the father affect the children. The Big10 started late bc of a decision. It affects Ohio St. They may be talented on paper and have a few wins, but it’s half of what Alabama, Clemson, ND, Texas A&M, Florida have. And that matters. We teach our kids to show up, to be accountable, to do our best. What does it say if we reward someone popular who does half the work compared to everyone else? It’s a lack of character and integrity. The argument posed is that rewarding Ohio St a playoff spot for doing half the work required shows a lack of integrity compared to others who did twice the work (and the work was just as quality).

Dec 5, 2020, 2:01 PM

How does anyone know that Ohio St. is stacked ? Look at their cupcake schedule.

Dec 5, 2020, 2:07 PM

Eye test and recruiting. WHich teams have really played anyone? Maybe Bama? Have we beat anyone? Miami? I know we are a top 4 team without question when healthy. Sometimes we have to guess watching teams play weaker talent.

Dec 5, 2020, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Re: So the best 3 teams in the nation are imo... ]

Deserving is one thing. I am with you. I agree that OSU hasn't earned it the same as teams that play more games. That's why in the original post I was talking about the best teams, but not the playoff spots. If we are going by playoff spots it will be Clemson, Notre Dame, Bama, and Ohio STate. That's pretty much a lock if we beat ND.

Dec 5, 2020, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Re: So the best 3 teams in the nation are imo... ]

I agree about OSU, but if they play 7 games and win the Big 10 Championship, i will not complain about them. Anything less and they are ranked 5th.

Dec 5, 2020, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Re: So the best 3 teams in the nation are imo... ]

Bad kitty, I see Ohio state out there battling as much as they can. They’ve missed two games to Covid. Maryland and Illinois. Those are wins. I guess it comes down to if you believe they should be punished for their league’s stupidity? Do you think OSU doesn’t want to play more games? The real question is do you see the CFP committee punishing them for things out of their control. I don’t see it.

Dec 5, 2020, 2:42 PM

You sure? Maryland is .500. That would be a heck of a test for Oshilo State being they have played one team with a winning record. That one I can argue is a tossup in terms of results.

Dec 5, 2020, 2:49 PM

Of course I’m not sure. That’s why they play the games. The only thing I’m sure about is that if the ###### was flipped and the ACC had made these bone headed rules to handcuff us, T-Net would be outraged by the thought of Clemson being excluded while undefeated. That would be guaranteed.

Dec 5, 2020, 2:55 PM

I agree if the situation was reversed we would be mad if our tigers were omitted. However, it would be the ACC’s fault and it would be unfair to include us compared to teams that did 2x the work and had equally good resumes.

Dec 5, 2020, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Re: So the best 3 teams in the nation are imo... ]

I agree if the situation was reversed we would be mad if our tigers were omitted. However, it would be the ACC’s fault and it would be unfair to include us compared to teams that did 2x the work and had equally good resumes.

Dec 5, 2020, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Re: So the best 3 teams in the nation are imo... ]

Right, that’s why they play the game, but they didn’t and won’t. They aren’t wins.

The whole thing is devoid of argument. That chit division F’d up to try to pander to an agenda and it backfired. They shouldn’t have been permitted to even sniff the playoffs given the circumstances as they are. Play your four games and have a nice quiet Christmas at home. That should have been the condition, but it’s not and I can’t wait to see their teeth get broken again by a real team in Clemson.

Dec 5, 2020, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Re: So the best 3 teams in the nation are imo... ]

@EEtigerstripe, yes OSU should miss the playoffs bc their conference chose to play half a season. It’s weird circumstances for sure and the argument is what is fair and what is comparable.

Let’s keep things based on facts, since ultimately the only thing that predicates fairness is facts, not eye-tests and suppositions (“what if they played more games”, “don’t you think the OSU players wanted to play more”). Anything suppository is withdrawn from the argument as it is shallow and baseless within a factual logical argument.

Games played equates more effort endured and more opportunities to overcome adversity.

The playoff contenders should be the teams that made the most plays and battled the most. Within that argumental frame, any team that plays 6-7 games is disqualified compared to one that played 10-11. The resumes simply are incomparable.

Dec 5, 2020, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Re: So the best 3 teams in the nation are imo... ]

@EEtigerstripe, yes OSU should miss the playoffs bc their conference chose to play half a season. It’s weird circumstances for sure and the argument is what is fair and what is comparable.

Let’s keep things based on facts, since ultimately the only thing that predicates fairness is facts, not eye-tests and suppositions (“what if they played more games”, “don’t you think the OSU players wanted to play more”). Anything suppository is withdrawn from the argument as it is shallow and baseless within a factual logical argument.

Games played equates more effort endured and more opportunities to overcome adversity.

The playoff contenders should be the teams that made the most plays and battled the most. Within that argumental frame, any team that plays 6-7 games is disqualified compared to one that played 10-11. The resumes simply are incomparable.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic