Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Compare the resume of ND and Texas A&M
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Compare the resume of ND and Texas A&M

Dec 20, 2020, 6:55 AM

Notre Dame
Best wins #2 Clemson & #15 UNC
Losses #3 Clemson by 14 points.

Texas A&M
Best wins beat #7 Florida (no other wins in top 25)
Losses #1 Alabama by 28 points.

ND has a higher TV value than A&M.

I'm thinking:

1 Alabama
2 Clemson
3 0hio State
4 Notre Dame

Current CFP Rankings and records

1 Alabama 11-0
2 Notre Dame 10-1
3 Clemson 10-1
4 Ohio State 6-0
5 Texas A&M 8-1
6 Iowa State 8-3
7 Florida 8-3
8 Georgia 7-2
9 Cincinnati 9-0
10 Oklahoma 8-2
11 Indiana 6-1
12 Coastal Car 11-0
13 USC 5-1
14 Northwestern 6-2
15 North Carolina 8-3
16 Iowa 6-2
17 BYU 10-1
18 Miami (Fla.) 8-2
19 Louisiana 9-1
20 Texas 6-3
21 Oklahoma State 7-3
22 NC State 8-3
23 Tulsa 6-2
24 San Jose State 6-0
25 Colorado 4-1

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Compare the resume of ND and Texas A&M

Dec 20, 2020, 6:57 AM

Notre Dame beat a Clemson team missing too many players, so that game shouldn't be a factor imo. Other than that they beat UNC.

So. now you're only going to count wins if losing team is at

Dec 20, 2020, 7:17 AM

full strength? That's ridiculous! When you compare resumes, it's obvious ND should get in over TAM! The only other alternative should be Cincinnati.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So. now you're only going to count wins if losing team is at

Dec 20, 2020, 7:26 AM

Not really for people that understand sports. Beating the Lakers without Lebron James and Anthony Davis wouldn't mean much. It's a huge factor and it should always be thought of. We were without 4 key starters on D and we were without the best QB in college football. Night and day difference. ND never beat the team they played yesterday. ND beat UNC. That's their only real win. They didn't really beat anyone this year. I am not saying they shouldn't be in at all, but their victory over our depleted team shouldn't mean much. We saw yesterday what happens when we have our players. Also, Cindy shouldn't even be considered. That's just a BYE for whoever plays them.

Dec 20, 2020, 8:24 AM

That’s not how this works. They won, period. NBA is not a comparison. That is more an exhibition than a true sport. Refs call what they want to get a desired result, rules are ignored routinely.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2020, 9:53 AM

You're off when it comes to the NBA overall. That's neither here nor there though. The Lakers going all-out without Lebron and Davis are not the same Lakers without them. The Chiefs without Pat Mahomes, Tyreke Hill, Travis Kelce, and Chris Jones aren't the same either. That said, you are correct that it isn't how it works. It should be though in college when subjectively picking the top 4. ND did not beat the 2nd ranked team in the nation as far as who played. The team we had that day wasn't a playoff team. We were missing too much. I don't give ND that much credit as if they achieved something spectacular. Then again, we know our team better than the media. I am not saying ND doesn't deserve to go, but acting like they accomplished something major beating us way off imo.

Dec 20, 2020, 12:15 PM

Dec 20, 2020, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Re: So. now you're only going to count wins if losing team is at ]

if you understand sports, injuries are part of the game. ND beat every team they played against until last night, including Clemson. They got throttled last night after that missed FG flipped the momentum and Clemson D settled down.

Clemson D was far more disciplined in their gaps and responsibilities last night, huge Cudo's to Coach V for the adjustments and "coaching them up" ...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2020, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Compare the resume of ND and Texas A&M ]

I think you got it right...

A&M played 3 teams with a winning record, got blown out by Bama mostly on their own meltdown right before the half... Bama put it on cruise control in the 3d.

Combined record of A&M opponents was 41-49, take away Bama's 11 wins and its 30-49...

ND has a way better resume.

Dec 20, 2020, 7:02 AM

Clemson was #1 when they beat us (although missing starters). ND lost by 24 pts not 14

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2020, 7:03 AM

To be honest, I wish there was a third alternative. Jimbo or Kelly in the CFP is not something I want to see.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Dec 20, 2020, 7:11 AM

Should read ND lose to Clemson by 28

I do agree with your final 4 playoff ranking. Yes, ND should still get in.

While I don't think tOSU has played enough games to qualify, the committee will put them in. They can't move them out, after ranking the #4 and winning the B1G championship.

I'll bet the O31-O State fans will start complaining about the officiating, as soon as the rankings come out.

Dec 20, 2020, 8:50 AM

I would put ND in. They deserve it for the total body of work. OSU - I really hate that they played 7 games, but they are a better team than A&M and ND. If OU had not lost 2 we could put them in over Ohio State. Really, there is not really anyone you can justify putting in over the Bucks. We all know full strength the Bucks are better. We just want to rub it in if they got left out for the BIG’s stupid decision. Plus the 7 game issue. There is a disadvantage too though in regards to game experience.

Maybe throw Cinci a bone this year to get curb stomped to stop the group of 5 argument in the playoffs.

We get
1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. OSU
4. ND

The top three will be very competitive. 1 vs 4 will be a blow out no matter what the committee does.

Dec 20, 2020, 9:43 AM

If the objective is to identify THE best team in college football - should Notre Dame still be in?

How many times do Clemson and Notre Dame need to play head to head to decide that?

If you don't think there is any doubt, why wouldn't you include someone else?

Dec 20, 2020, 9:46 AM

If you put A&M in place of ND to play Bama we already know how that ends. They already lost to Bama by 28 points.
ND gets the nod.

And we know how ND vs. Bama will end as well***

Dec 20, 2020, 10:25 AM

I agree with your four teams just can’t

Dec 20, 2020, 7:26 AM

Imagine a 6 win team being a #3. As Krazy as it sounds, I think they’ll put ND in as a 3 and OSU is 4.

Re: I agree with your four teams just can’t

Dec 20, 2020, 8:18 AM

Notre Dame will be 4th,OSU # 3. The committee won't have A Clemson /ND rubber match up. Besides ,even with just 6 games ,OSU is undefeated and a conference winner.(see my * below).
So ,now that one semi final will be held at AT&T Stadium, Alabama at #1 gets Notre Dame in the Sugar and Clemson( # 2) gets OSU in Dallas.
(*) Look, it's been a weird season, and you really can't find fault, or put blame ,IMO, anywhere other than the pandemic, Conference protocol not with standing.
On paper, you have the 4 best teams playing if they are Clemson ,Alabama, OSU, and Notre Dame. Two of the teams are undefeated, and the other two split a pair, although Clemson's win will be viewed by the committee as the better win( over the Irish).
You might have made a case for Texas A&M with one loss, but they play in the SEC West and could not play for the conference title after losing to Alabama.
You could have made a case for Florida if there only loss was to A&M but that second loss to LSU doomed them short of winning the SECCG.

34-10 is 14?

Dec 20, 2020, 7:35 AM

I should have slept through the third grade.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 34-10 is 14?

Dec 20, 2020, 8:35 AM

No it's the new math.You have an "X" factor to figure in.

Re: 34-10 is 14?

Dec 20, 2020, 9:47 AM [ in reply to 34-10 is 14? ]

Fat fingers and small keys

Dec 20, 2020, 8:36 AM

The Committee absolutely takes into account who is on the field and they should. Rankings are totally different. We are not number 1 without our best offensive player and best defensive player on the field no matter what the AP or any other poll says and Most times you can say that about any team on any level in any team sport. I’d be willing to bet they’ll talk about that this evening.

Dec 20, 2020, 8:50 AM

I don’t like Notre Dame but a team shouldn’t be punished for playing an extra game and losing giving an advantage to a team that didn’t have to play.

That said I do think TAMU deserves to be in more than OSU, due to total number of games.

Yes, that is right. They didn’t have to play yesterday and

Dec 20, 2020, 8:56 AM

They would have been the ACC Champions and the #2 seed.

The real question is should they be ranked ahead of tOSU, A&M, or whoever the 4th team is.

ND’s resume is better than anyone else’s and it’s not even close.

Every team has injuries and players out this year, we had our own, and we lost a game, but that was not the reason we lost. We lost because they were the better team on that day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Re: Yes, that is right. They didn’t have to play yesterday and

Dec 20, 2020, 9:10 AM

The reason you have a Committee, a Council, an Arbitrator, Court, is so you assess all angles, parameters, etc. Multiple challenges are made and multiple questions leading to multiple lines of reasoning. It’s the reason why every year the Committee is asked for that line. So how would you answer these questions: Why were they better that day?
It’s obvious to see by the arse-whipping just handed to them that whatever that reason was, it is not a constant. Now someone could answer that they had key players missing. If that is a fact then they have to follow up with Can we expect those players back in two weeks? If not What is your argument that the “current team” is one of the four best?

totally agree***

Dec 20, 2020, 9:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Compare the resume of ND and Texas A&M ]

Dec 20, 2020, 10:00 AM

Based on an ESPN graphic last night, A&M had a much higher SOS than Notre Dame.

But neither should get in because they've proven they're not going to beat Alabama or Clemson, unless the starting QB is hurt.

Let in Cincinnati and Coastal.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Dec 20, 2020, 12:08 PM

I like that ND plays Alabama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2020, 12:24 PM

"Losses #3 Clemson by 14 points"

Better check the math on that one.

Forget about the 6 games. Look at the opponents in each!

Dec 20, 2020, 12:25 PM

Look at their six games and then look at the records of the teams they beat.

With such a small sample size - it's clear to see - they blew out inferior competition. They struggled when someone was able to punch back!

This is the reason I think A & M deserves in over Ohio State more than how many games they played. Northwestern the other ranked team O Cry O St played fed off of bottom dwellers as well.

A & M did too - TBH! The SEC was way down this year compared to recent years!
So was the Big 10(from what little we saw of it). Even in that small sample size - the bucknuts played a largely under .500 schedule. And struggled against decent competition - VERDICT - A&M played and beat a Florida squad that was #7. They handled business in all games except then #2 Alabama at Alabama!

Both teams looked lethargic at times during games!

A & M - gets in over O Cry O based off being in the SEC i.m.o. That old bias that usually tries to hurt Clemson will get the bucknuts! Because eye test for eye test it's pretty close! Florida would absolutely BOAT RACE BOTH NORTHWESTERN AND INDIANA! Just throttle both of O Cry O St's best wins! Well folks, A & M beat Florida! Wins aren't ( I forget the word ) in 4, 3, 2, 1. I know, I know. But, the committee will look at it.
The A & M body of work is more impressive in my opinion! And yes, they had more opportunities to have not shown up and to have lost as well. Or to have had a key player get hurt.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2020, 12:34 PM

Contact OSU, TX A&M, and ND and tell them they have two choices.
1) We flip a coin for the 2 open slots and the odd team out agrees to abide by the coin flip and stand down.

2) The three of them join Cinci for a 4 team playoff for the remaining two spots.

Pick an option.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic