Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, how bad do we fall off with new QB in training?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

So, how bad do we fall off with new QB in training?

Apr 14, 2017, 9:13 AM

I say 1-3 losses for 2017 & in a dog fight at best to make ACC Championship.

Hope not but it is what it is, training a new but unproven warrior to lead the offensive troops while the D will be quicker to hold down the fort.

What say you?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe 1 loss; but if he plays smart........

Apr 14, 2017, 9:40 AM

We could have another special year. The defense will be NASTY and keep us in the games.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, how bad do we fall off with new QB in training?

Apr 14, 2017, 9:47 AM

IMHO we will be fine with Israel or Johnson and maybe even Cooper. If we have to stay with Bryant we ARE IN DEEP TROUBLE.If the coaches will just give the job and the team to one of the first 2 we will be in good shape. If the coaches insist on giving the job to Bryant we might as well kiss the ACC goodbye.6-6 is all we can hope for!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 14, 2017, 9:53 AM

Depends on how well the "QB in training" plays. If we have someone playing like Stoudt probably win 8-9 games. If we have an above average QB 10-11 games. If the new dude ends up being a gamer we could compete for it all again. With that being said...I think we win 10 games.

Apr 14, 2017, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Re: So, how bad do we fall off with new QB in training? ]

We can win probably close to 10 games with Bryant

Apr 14, 2017, 12:42 PM

Close to 10 games is not good enough at Clemson anymore.

Apr 14, 2017, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Re: So, how bad do we fall off with new QB in training? ]

To say 6-6 is terrible. Looking at our schedule, 8 or 9 wins should be a given even with injuries. Auburn, VT, Louisville and FSU are the only debatable games with any concern

I really don't think it will be as bad as some are predicting

Apr 14, 2017, 10:13 AM

We saw how much TB transformed into a better QB in one off-season, why can't the same be done with one of or all of the 4 QBs? Like Rich Rodriguez said last week, all we need is a game manager at qb....someone who won't put us in a bad situation and can be a good decision maker. I look at it as a similar situation as Alabama last year with hurts. Most people don't know he was only ranked in the top 10- 15 range as a dual threat QB, came in as a true freshman and helped get them to the NCG. The defense will have to carry us early on in the season but once we find our QB (and imo it wont be until after the 3rd or 4th game that we'll find our true starter) then we will have a good chance of winning the rest of our games and returning to the playoffs. The QBs we have may not look like starters now but we still have 5 months until the season starts which should be plenty of time for our QBs to improve. And in my honest opinion, I think Hunter Johnson will emerge as our starter around sometime early in the season.

Agreed. I think it will be apparent pretty quickly just

Apr 14, 2017, 10:14 AM

how badly we'll miss DW. Having said that, we've recruited better at QB than 95% of everybody out there.
DW was capable of carrying the team and willing us to victory. I wouldn't not he surprised to see one of the current crop develop or emerge at some point, but don't expect it right away. I imagine it could cost us a game or three.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Tye ONLY reason people are worried about QB is because

Apr 14, 2017, 10:21 AM

they have to replace DW. Big shoes. But take that nearly-impossible measuring stick away, and our only problem with QB is that we have too many rock-solid options. Whoever ends up as third string could start at many places.

It doesn't take a huge drop off to be in a dog fight for the ACC Atlantic. FSU is still a top notch program and a recruiting juggernaut, and Petrino is a great coach. Combine that with having to play AT VT, and the Tigers will have to bring it every week to stay where they are, for sure.

null

Apr 14, 2017, 10:25 AM

We have 4 qbs to win with and probably win all.

Right now the coaches want to hold on to all 4 to August.

We can not afford to loose any to transfer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 14, 2017, 12:42 PM

That is very true.

Apr 14, 2017, 10:26 AM

I'm with you on 1-3 losses, but those losses had better not be to UL or FSU. We need to make the ACCCG again. The Atlantic champion will continue to win the ACCCG, much like the SEC West owns the SEC.

My best guess is 2 losses, but unfortunately, those 2 losses are most likely going to be FSU and UL. I don't see a lot of great teams on our schedule other than those 2. VT would have been a big problem had their QB stayed one more year.

Apr 14, 2017, 12:01 PM

I don't see a loss to UL, they lost way to much and simply don't have the replacements for what they lost. Auburn is a much bigger threat for a loss IMO. Make it past Auburn and at worst, I see the Tigers at 11-1 regular season.

D Dominance... Keep TOs to a minimum and we can beat anyone.***

Apr 14, 2017, 12:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^This^^***

Apr 14, 2017, 2:04 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Apr 14, 2017, 3:28 PM

We don't. Whatever drop off there may be early on offense will be more than offset by the saltiest defense on the planet. I say 12-0.

Apr 14, 2017, 3:40 PM

Need new topics please.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's what I see as well.***

Apr 14, 2017, 3:51 PM

Look to 1998 Tennessee team for possible answer

Apr 14, 2017, 4:33 PM

We have to remember that there were quite a few close calls last year during the regular season. NC State, FSU, UL (not to mention of course Pitt). By and large things bounced our way which is needed for any successful season much less a championship one. But with a couple of good bounces this team can be in the CFP again.

This 2017 Clemson team reminds me of Tennessee's 1998 squad. 1997 team went 11-2 and finished 8th. With Peyton leaving, nobody thought UT was going to be as good in 1998 with Tee Martin behind center. But they ran the gauntlet, got some breaks, and won it all after their generational talent left.

My thinking is that with DW gone, the entire team will be more focused. They won't have Super Man to bail them out like he did so many times. I also think they want to prove - especially on offense - that the offense was more than just Deshaun.

Also - and I am not a pumper - this defensive front seven is going to be so much fun to watch. Do we go to ball control team? No. But if, as others have said, the QB plays smart - then just wow. We could repeat. Likely? No. But definitely reasonably possible.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree with you Bill ...

Apr 15, 2017, 8:38 AM

1-3 losses likely but not automatic. Coaching and Defense will have to step up. No more pushing the Deshaun "easy button". Team will have to find another source of poise and fearlessness. Defense will have to hold some leads - Deshaun will not be on field for two minute drill. Some on here worry Clemson will forfeit the Auburn game by not playing best QB in "warm-up" Kent State and AUB game. And they may be right ... but in the end, Clemson can recover with ACC wins esp. FSU.

My guess is we could win some big ones and lose to some average teams based on inconsistent QB play and no Deshaun. Our team talent continues to improve but no Deshaun is this year's theme. Defense has awesome talent at line and talent at LB - DB's continue to be a question. And last year's great D gave up points in bunches. Work to do in 2017. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2017, 11:48 AM

It should be a great year for those that love the D. Whoever the QB is needs
to protect the football and we will be fine.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic