Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon...

Sep 10, 2018, 6:52 PM

Not that this really amounts to a hill of beans but....I noticed that ESPN3 broadcast the skycam video of the game and decided to look at the fumble from that camera. Never saw these views on the normal broadcast instant replay but the angle of the skycam (behind and to the right) provides a bit more clarity to why I believe the ref made the correct call.

Here is the skycam play in real time:
https://youtu.be/oWyTJBwMkao

Here is the skycam fumble at 1 frame per second:
https://youtu.be/QLgbGLJeSP0

From the skycam view - the runner is not as close to the sideline as I first thought (to the right of the sideline hash mark - puts him at least a yard inbounds). Upon contact, the runner is leaning forward with his foot just short of the 3 yard line with the ball at about the 2.5 yard line. Kvon punches the ball out at about the 2 yard line - still about a yard in bounds from the sideline. From the skycam angle, the ball appears to fly just inside and over the pylon before going out of bounds. You can also see the ref is in the right spot to see it happen.

I don't recall the TV broadcast showing this angle but if they had I'm sure Kirk and Reece wouldn't have been so convinced the ball did not go over the pylon to out of bounds (ergo - through the endzone and out of bounds). The footage is still not definitive but shows that the angle from the runner to the endzone was not as close to the sideline as first thought and the ball would have had to travel at least a yard before it would have crossed over the sideline.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon...

Sep 10, 2018, 6:54 PM

The best view was the pylon cam showing the ball going directly over the pylon.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2018, 8:45 AM

Its plain as day, you can clearly see the ball curve towards the endzone as it passes over the pylon.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2018, 6:55 PM

watching that girls on the left's expression change as the ball goes out of bounds is awesome.

Sep 10, 2018, 7:03 PM

Uhhhhhhh.............who are all those people standing in FRONT of the WALL, that all of the spectators have to stay BEHIND??????

Sep 10, 2018, 7:05 PM

To anyone who is even considering that this play was called incorrectly, think about this...in order for your assessment to be true, the ENTIRE BALL, must be outside of the ENTIRE PYLON. In other words, if a hair on the leather of the ball passed over the top of the last corner stitch of the pylon, the ball is in the end zone. Touchback. Yes, the viewing angles are poor, but there is no way in 100 he77s, you can say that no part of the ball passed over any part of the pylon.

Sep 10, 2018, 7:12 PM

The pylon is not inbounds. If you look it is on the white line that designates the outbounds sideline. I hate to say this, but if the ball passed over the pylon it was out of bounds.

Sep 10, 2018, 7:16 PM

Respectfully disagree. In every other instance of the game the pylon and the infinite line that extends from the top of it to the edge of the universe, is considered the endzone. Out of bounds doesn't have the same rule. A ball can be thrown or fly out of bounds, and if a receiver grabs it out of the air while standing in bounds the ball is in bounds. So the sideline is not a definitive be all, end all, line like the end zone line is. ANY contact with the Endzone or the imaginary planes that house on all sides it is the endzone.

Sep 10, 2018, 9:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon... ]

https://t.co/3pf1keR6mt
I. Team A’s fumble strikes the pylon at the intersection of Team B’s goal line and sideline. RULING: Touchback. Team B’s ball at the 20-yard line (Rules 7-2-4-c and 4-2-3-b). They will consider going over the pylon the same as striking the pylon. Only it's height in the air affects it not striking it.

Striking it and going over it are one and the same. If the pylon was 10 feet tall, a ball that sails over top of a normal height one would have struck it. Same rule they use on a TD that strikes the pylon.

Sep 10, 2018, 9:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon... ]

Also:
https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Article/NCAA-Rule-Changes-Part-3-104823076/

Goal Line Plane Extension changed.

Now the Goal line plane runs between the pylons, and includes the entire pylon. The plane no longer exists beyond the pylons except in two specific cases: (a) When a ball carrier touches the pylon, and (b) when the ball carrier touches the ground in the end zone.

Sep 11, 2018, 9:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon... ]

Pylon is like the foul pole in baseball. Why do you everyone dives for it with the football? They know if they hit the pykon it is a touchdown. If it wasn't in play they would be called out of bounds.

Sep 11, 2018, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon... ]

Quartney Davis was clearly reaching for the pylon with the ball. He knows the rule. That's not even an argument.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2018, 7:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon... ]

The pylon is not inbounds. If you look it is on the white line that designates the out of bounds sideline. I hate to say this, but if the ball passed over the pylon it was out of bounds.

Sep 10, 2018, 7:23 PM

You need to read up. That's just not true. Pylon counts that's why if you touch the ball to the pylon on a stretch, it's a touchdown

Sep 10, 2018, 7:26 PM

When a player steps on that same white line he is then called out of bounds is he not?

Sep 10, 2018, 7:30 PM

A player in possession of the ball is different from the ball itself. A player can catch an inbounds ball while standing out, and the ball is out. Reverse is also true, He can catch a out of bounds ball while standing in, and the ball is in. Therefore, the white out of bounds line, in regards to the ball, itself, is immaterial. The ball, unpossessed can touch any part of the endzone and it is in the endzone, as long as it has not touched the ground first.

Sep 10, 2018, 9:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon... ]

See rules I posted above. It now includes the pylon....and rule of a ball striking or passing over a pylon in a fumble is a touchback.

Sep 10, 2018, 7:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon... ]

Exactly! ANY PART of the ball over ANY PART of the pylon is a touchback, by rule. Its not WHOLE BALL in or WHOLE BALL out. Keywords are ANY PART.

Sep 10, 2018, 10:59 PM

The Ref that was on the white line behind the player called it a touch back. He had the best view IMHO

Sep 11, 2018, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon... ]

Doesnt matter.

If the ball is over the pylon = touchback.

Ball touches pylon = touchback

Small, teensy corner of the ball is over the pylon = touchback

Ball is totally outside of the pylon = out of bounds.

You really need a football 101 class

Sep 11, 2018, 9:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon... ]

Before you start commenting on the rules. The pylon is part of the end zone ....every last stitch of it.... doesn’t matter whether that makes sense to you or not - it’s the rule and all the coaches players refs and serious fans are aware of that

Sep 10, 2018, 7:08 PM

#1) wow...that ball went out of bounds.

#2) can someone explain how a sophomore qb passed for 430 yards and 3 tds on your ALL-World defense? Northwestern State held him to 184 the previous week.

Sep 10, 2018, 7:11 PM

1. Can you explain how Bentley scored more than 1 TD on your all world team? Clemson doesn't know what that's like. We are curious.
2. Best footage anyone, including Venables, had on Fisher's new schemes for Mond was a cupcake game.
3. Several lucky tipped balls that wound up in miracle lucky catches.
4. Texas A&M is better than their preseason ranking... South Carolina however isn't.

Sep 10, 2018, 7:14 PM

Forget the TD's. How did you let them cross the 50 in the first half? Campbell got abused by Edwards early.

Sep 10, 2018, 7:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon... ]

HOW DID YOU YOU GAME GO, COOT?

Did someone fart in here?? Nevermind it's just superdawg******

Sep 10, 2018, 7:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2018, 7:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon... ]

It sure did go out of bounds while passing over the pylon on its way.
Our secondary didn't play good but many passes were a combo between skill and luck. We won the game at a tough place to play at night. What has UGA done this year? We beat Usuck the same way the past 2 years so nothing special. Y'all look good don't get me wrong but don't come talking crap over here when y'all have done nothing this year. We only gave up 75 rushing yards. The last 2 good teams y'all played averaged over 200 yards rushing against y'all. Maybe yall will be better this year and maybe Texas A&M will not be that good this year idk. Save ur trash talking for the playoffs. That is ofcourse if y'all make it.

Re: yet we are still ranked ahead of you. too funny**

Sep 10, 2018, 7:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon... ]

nm

Sep 10, 2018, 8:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon... ]

Key words were Northwestern State. Jimbo we didn't have any film on A&M with him as the head coach, and he wasn't about to show any part of what he intended to do in the Clemson match up. So, BV had no film on A&M with Jimbo as HC with A&M personnel, so fk yourself!!! We won, it's in the books as we won, and in a 100 years from today, it will still stste that Clemson BEAT A&M in Texass at College Station stadium. So go fk yourself again and again and again until you feel good after pleasing yourself!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2018, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon... ]

Wow - Bentley scored a TD against UGA???? He has NEVER scored a TD against CLEMSON. Sounds like UGA has a bunch of wussies on D.

Underdawg are you aware your team has a site you can visit

Sep 11, 2018, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon... ]

from time to time instead of constantly trolling ours? Why not venture over there and check it out. Go on boy.... go get it.... go boy..... fetch

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2018, 9:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Skycam footage of the fumble over pylon... ]

Can you explain to me how we are still ranked ahead of you flea bitten leg humpers? Also can you explain letting the coots score 17 points on you? Your team should be dropped out of the top 10 for that alone.

It was a terrible call, IMO. I’ve seen nothing to change my

Sep 10, 2018, 7:35 PM

mind. Yaaaaa, we got a call.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought the pylon cam view showed the best view

Sep 10, 2018, 8:11 PM

And to me it clearly went over or inside the pylon.

I don’t like the rule, but I think they got it right.

Heads up play by our defender punching the ball out. That is well coached. He knew the rule and discussed it with the official.

Despite what you might think, we deserve credit for at least the defender punching the ball out

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was clearly a good call. The refs were right on top of it

Sep 10, 2018, 8:40 PM

to make the correct call. The crowd reaction on the sidelines show that they know what happened too. There is not one camera angle where it looks like it went out of bounds before the goal line.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It was clearly a good call. The refs were right on top of it

Sep 10, 2018, 11:09 PM

I have to agree. The receiver even knew it because of his reaction. His left hand kept the ball in bounds when he pushed it at the last second as it was being knocked out of his hands.

It was the correct call, we earned every bit of it.

Sep 10, 2018, 10:08 PM [ in reply to It was a terrible call, IMO. I’ve seen nothing to change my ]

Even the pylon cam shows the ball going over the end-zone side of the pylon. Open and shut case.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2018, 7:55 PM

If you stop the film as the ball is just starting to come out, then take your mouse pointer and place it on the ball like thingy on the feed line at the bottom and click it forward with just tiny clicks at a time, you can clearly see that ball crossed the goal line in fare territory, but it was close and a good call by what ever Ref that made the call!!!

Well after another look, maybe not, but it was so close. Surely not enough to reverse the call, and if the call would have went the other way, it still wouldn't have been reversed. I see it though as we finally got a call in our favor, but it still doesn't make up for the dozens of offensive holding calls against A&M that wasn't made, and if those calls would have been made, that one play wouldn't have ever been an issue bc we would have had the ball, Period!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2018, 8:16 PM

I stopped it right at the 17 sec mark and the ball was clearly over the pylon. Good call.

somebody should get cameraman 13

Sep 10, 2018, 8:17 PM

Guy in green shirt holding video camera and tagged with number 30. That guy has the Zupruder film of pylon gate

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

somebody should get cameraman 13

Sep 10, 2018, 8:17 PM

Guy in green shirt holding video camera and tagged with number 30. That guy has the Zupruder film of pylon gate

Another way to calculate this

Sep 10, 2018, 8:28 PM

Watch the frame by frame. You should be able to get a good estimate of the distance from the sideline when the ball landed. You also have exactly where the ball was when launched from the runner.

OK - draw a line from the runner to where the ball landed - and plot that across the goal line. I think you'll find it went over the goal line before going out of bounds.

Exactly what I say, get the (x,y) coordinates and

Sep 11, 2018, 12:03 PM

it should show clearly instead the pylon. The ball landed to about 7 yards into the endzone but only a yard or so out.

A football is oblong.

Sep 10, 2018, 8:32 PM

An oblong be tricky.

So it goes.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A football is oblong.

Sep 10, 2018, 8:42 PM

So it goes a Touch Back, and they can't forever and a day take that back, so other fans that doesn't wear orange, they just sound so FOOLISH!!!

"Oblong be tricky". I love it!***

Sep 10, 2018, 10:14 PM [ in reply to A football is oblong. ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2018, 9:55 PM

Nice videos. That video seems like the one they first showed on replay in the stadium and never showed again. Instead they kept replaying a video from an angle that was perpendicular to the path of the ball, i.e. geometrically useless. Either the reply guy / chick didn't understand basic geometry or it was simply to incite the crowd. Either way, it was the strongest lobbying I've seen by an in stadium replay operator. Bottom line (no pun intended) is this was simple geometry and luckily the reply booth understood this. See attached.

Sep 10, 2018, 10:40 PM

Thanks for posting.

None of those cameras have depth perceptions.

Sep 10, 2018, 10:49 PM

They guy running down the line had the perfect view and he also has depth perception. That's why it wasn't over turned. Even the ref standing on the goal line called it out of bounds, picked up the yellow rag and dropped a black on at the location he though the ball left the field of play. Turns out he was wrong because he rolled over like a crackho when the other judge over ruled his call.

It's done, it's on the books, let it go.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unrelated but remember when Nuk

Sep 11, 2018, 11:51 AM

One touchdown we had called back when Nuk was playing occurred as we ran down the slideline without the ball, his foot hit the pylon in the air and he caught the ball in bounds in the endzone. He was ruled out of bounds re-entering and no touchdown.

"The play in the end zone was said to be incomplete because he touched the pylon with his foot before the catch was made, essentially making it illegal touching because he was out of bounds."

This is unrelated and the ball clearly passed at least over the pylon (probably on the inside of it) for a touch-back per the rules. Rules are funny though is my point.

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/9/29/3430222/tigers-survive-in-chestnut-hill/comment/118476029

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic