Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why do people want Winthrop’s coach?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 3,061

Why do people want Winthrop’s coach?

Jan 31, 2021, 5:02 PM

Has anyone researched his style ??

Play good, hard defense and shoot threes..

Sound familiar....it should..

It’s some of the same core principles as Brownell...

Guess what - when we don’t hit our threes ...we lose ...

It’s the best predictor of success or not under Brownell....

Shooting and making threes can be an equalizer when playing more talented teams ..

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why do people want Winthrop’s coach?

Jan 31, 2021, 5:07 PM

Agreed. I don't get it either. I'd rather just keep what we have than get more of the same.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jan 31, 2021, 7:09 PM

Mike Young of Wofford now at VT has owned Brad Brownell What’s wrong then with the Winthrop coach

Jan 31, 2021, 7:33 PM

Young's successor at Wofford beat UNC @ Chapel Hill last year with a SOCON team. They built quite the program.

Jan 31, 2021, 5:08 PM

But how does this help the football team?

Message was edited by: RunJumpCatch®

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More chances for the Transfer Portal.***

Feb 1, 2021, 1:02 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jan 31, 2021, 5:11 PM

I don’t necessarily think that style is a bad idea or we couldn’t have success doing it... HUGE problem with this (and iv been saying it for years ) BB does not recruit guys based on offensive talent I don’t think and maybe he started the last year or so... but to run that you have to have guys that can actually shoot the ball... teams go cold and lose games but not at the rate we seem to do , we shouldn’t be shooting threes all game bc we literally have no one that’s a threat to be consistent doing it

Jan 31, 2021, 5:30 PM

As head coach at Winthrop University, Kelsey has resurrected a winning tradition and become one of the winningest coaches in the history of the Big South Conference (ranked 3rd all-time).[2] During his nine seasons, no other Big South program has more conference wins or wins overall. The program made four straight Big South Conference Tournament title games (2014-17) and the Eagles claimed the 2017 and the 2020 Big South Conference Championships. The 2017 team claimed a share of the Big South regular season championship and then defeated Campbell University to earn Winthrop’s 10th trip to the NCAA Tournament. In 2020, the team secured the Big South regular season championship and defeated Hampton University in the conference championship game to earn what would have been Winthrop's 11th trip to the NCAA tournament. However, the 2020 NCAA tournament was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Under Kelsey, the program has broken multiple school records and produced some of the best players in its history, including Keon Johnson, Winthrop's all-time leading scorer,[3] and Xavier Cooks, Winthrop's all time leading rebounder and shot-blocker.[4]

Kelsey has coached a number of players who went on to have successful professional basketball careers, including NBA All-Stars Chris Paul and Jeff Teague.[5]He coached Ish Smith, an All-ACC selection and player for the Houston Rockets, James Johnson, a two-time All-ACC selection and overall number 17 draft pick by the Chicago Bulls in the 2009 NBA Draft, and Al-Farouq Aminu, a McDonald's All-America who was drafted eight overall by the L.A. Clippers in the 2010 NBA Draft.[6]

Jan 31, 2021, 5:51 PM

We have a coach.

Jan 31, 2021, 5:53 PM

If we are going to fire Brownell, the check book needs to be opened up to get a Power 5 coach. All the money does not have to be spent on football.

THIS.

Jan 31, 2021, 7:37 PM

Otherwise people need to quit their whining.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Sayeth the World Class Whiner. Great amusement JK - thanks***

Feb 1, 2021, 11:01 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: THIS.

Feb 1, 2021, 11:31 AM [ in reply to THIS. ]

You sound like what a UofSC fan would sound like supporting Muschamp

Jan 31, 2021, 7:04 PM

You asking the wrong questions does he have charisma like Dabo Is he a great communicator what about his character can he relate to people and young kids work ethic can he grow as a coach All things are in place at Clemson BB to be more competitive than we have been we should at least make the NCCA 50% of time

Jan 31, 2021, 10:44 PM

He's a former Xavier player and assistant, assistant at WF too. Very popular among the student body has an outgoing personality. But most imprtantly he is a WINNER. Do some research and then you'd know why so many think he would be a great fit at Clemson. I'm one who would love to see Pat Kelsey at Clemson if DRad ever makes a change.

I would like to see him on DRad’s list

Jan 31, 2021, 10:55 PM

of potential candidates, should there be an opening.

He’s a good coach who has done well at the mid-major level. He has a good pedigree. Brownell had both of those things going for him too when we hired him.

But I still think Clemson needs to think bigger the next time a basketball coach is hired. If we want to be consistently really good at basketball (and we should), then we need to stop thinking about the up and coming mid-major coach, and think about the coach who has already been successful in major college basketball. As I’ve said before, it has to stop being just about football, and start being about both football and basketball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Shouldn’t be looking for up and coming mid majors

Feb 1, 2021, 9:58 AM

We should just keep Brownell if we aren’t willing to open our check books...

Open the checkbooks ...Make Bennett an offer at UVA ..

If you want the basketball equivalent of Dabo...Bennett is that guy ..

Re: Shouldn’t be looking for up and coming mid majors

Feb 1, 2021, 10:09 AM

LOL, and how much money would UVA have to toss at Dabo to make him their HC? Would/does money even make sense then? It ain't happening.

Dabo isn't Bennett. If you want to make a comparison, Dabo/Jay Wright(Villanova) are the better comparison. Each program showed a lot of patience for a younger coach before that coach could step from very good to elite.

Feb 1, 2021, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Shouldn’t be looking for up and coming mid majors ]

CU51996 said:

We should just keep Brownell if we aren’t willing to open our check books...

Open the checkbooks ...Make Bennett an offer at UVA ..

If you want the basketball equivalent of Dabo...Bennett is that guy ..

Of course you go after a big name power 5 coach, but if you can't get him better be ready to go after a good mid major as a back up alternative which Kelsey is as well as many others are.
Tony Bennett is also great friends with Dabo. So maybe he can help move a potential interest. They have the same beliefs and core values.

Feb 1, 2021, 10:57 AM

Winthrop isn't a mid-major. The Big South is barely even a mid-minor. It is the absolute bottom rung of the D.1 table and many DIII schools will out produce that conference. I have watched a OP coaching tree (and Clemson DBO) HC flounder to Meh in the BS - at one of the better schools. Any ACC level coach or assistant would be able to run rough shod in the Big South.

Even Brownell jumped from UNCW (which is tier up from the Big South) to Wright State in the Horizon - which used to host Butler, Dayton, Valpo, and Loyola.

Feb 1, 2021, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Shouldn’t be looking for up and coming mid majors ]

Why would Bennett leave UVA for Clemson?

Feb 1, 2021, 11:46 AM

Why would Bennett leave UVA for Clemson?

Because he is great friends with Dabo. He listens to Dabo a lot. Dabo called him the day of their National Champion game and gave him an encouraging speech. Look it up...

Feb 1, 2021, 1:01 PM

I'm aware of his connection to Dabo, but do we really think he'd take a job at a lower-tier basketball program just because of a friendship with an individual? I mean...I love Clemson, but let's not sugar coat this. Virginia is a better job.

Feb 1, 2021, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Shouldn’t be looking for up and coming mid majors ]

So far in this thread - I’ve seen excerpts from Wikipedia and a literal cut and paste from his Winthrop bio...

I am aware of all of that ...
University Bios are meant to be glowing write ups...

I could probably cut and paste the Brownell bio from Wright State and UNCW and it would sound similarly impressive.....
As I already pointed out Kelsey’s strategy is remarkably similar to Brownell’s ...there’s no guarantee you won’t get the same results as what we have as Brownell...

I still think Bennett is the personality equivalent of Dabo although I fully understand the Jay Wright comparison...

Why has Dabo been so successful? Lots of reasons ...but from a recruiting standpoint he understands and fits what makes Clemson special...he isn’t trying to be Bama ...he’s nurtured a culture that capitalized on the uniqueness of Clemson...

We must improve basketball recruiting to be more competitive in the ACC...

Why would Bennett come ? Maybe money but also he’s a better fit for the Clemson culture than UVA..

the only thing that should be considered is recruiting.

Feb 1, 2021, 11:58 AM

style can come later. What was DAbo's style?? It was recruiting. Its the main reason Dabo was hired. He was the #1 recruiter in the country at the time and losing him would have been bottom of the barrel type stuff.

So if we ever jump to find another BBALL coach and recruiting isnt' the main factor in the search then be prepared for another 10 years of under-performing. I could give a crap about style. We need players.

Re: the only thing that should be considered is recruiting.

Feb 1, 2021, 12:05 PM

El Tigre 1 said:

style can come later. What was DAbo's style?? It was recruiting. Its the main reason Dabo was hired. He was the #1 recruiter in the country at the time and losing him would have been bottom of the barrel type stuff.

So if we ever jump to find another BBALL coach and recruiting isnt' the main factor in the search then be prepared for another 10 years of under-performing. I could give a crap about style. We need players.

That’s how Mike Young rebuilt Va Techs program so quickly. He had a couple of reserves under Buzz Williams, then brought in two 4 star guards, but mainly a number of transfers. You have two ways of recruiting HS and transfers. Doesn’t matter with route you take. He did that and he was at Wofford.

Re: the only thing that should be considered is recruiting.

Feb 1, 2021, 12:07 PM [ in reply to the only thing that should be considered is recruiting. ]

And this is why FB/BB don't work together.

In football, you are taking dozens of kids each year. Basketball is just a handful. Worse, there are more programs/hands looking for the pieces. If you miss "one" it could be your whole season in BB. BB is more volatile and a lot less patient.

BB recruiting is a lot different and just the nature of transfers moving up rungs so to speak. Very few BB coaches cut their teeth being the best recruiters and normally that helps in the smaller conference more than the power conferences. Convincing a good guard to go to a big south school to play "now" expecting them to move to a P5 program in a year is normal. As a P5, it is both about consuming lesser schools as it is about IDing talent and a pitch. Normally it is finding the right X and Os that fit one's style and being disruptive to the normal because the DUKE, Cheats, UofL, Kansas, Kentucky etc are just going to consume the NBA talent.

Coaches like Calipari and Barnes are the recruiting coaches. They are great but it needed for a rule change in Calipari's case to make him elite (1 and done) but even then you had Duke change to attack that.

Replies: 26
| visibility 3,061
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic